1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dakka (Worm AU/ Alt Power)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Hydra_sv, May 7, 2019.

1. Extras: Major Chambers Citation
    Hydra_sv

Hydra_sv Making the rounds.

This is Major Chambers citation.

2. Extras: Dakka's Original Premise
    Hydra_sv

Hydra_sv Making the rounds.

So you may have seen the first chapter of my fic titled Drift. While that is obviously on hiatus, I wanted to talk about Drift and how it actually fits next to Dakka.

The premise of Dakka was originally part of a group of four separate fics that were all part of one over plot. I quickly realized how overly ambitious that was for a first project that I had promised myself to complete, so I picked from the four and went with the version of Taylor that would be the most pleasurable to write about. Thus Dakka was born, and many changes happened before I ever pushed out Chapter 1, and as you can see from the Chapter 1 that is hiding in the apocrypha threadmarks, I made a lot of naive mistakes in my first try.

This was how I met my beta reader, as he liked what I was doing enough to dive in, and you'll see he gets credit from Chapter 4 onward. As an aside this is where you'll see me more and more try and tackle difficult scenes rather than skip over them... cough cough time skip at fic start. Oops.
    But back to the original premise.

The original idea was basically inspired by fan fiction and its community in a general sense, of taking a moment and writing whole fics based off slightly altered decisions. This centered around what Taylor does with the gun in these fics:

Tries to commit suicide but gets interrupted. (Dakka)
    Succeeds at committing suicide. (Uplift) (NSFW)
    Gets rid of gun but does not engage with her father. (Drift)
    Gets rid of gun BY engaging with her father. (Echo)

Dakka is Tinker/Thinker Taylor. Drift is Breaker Taylor. Echo is a Stranger Taylor. Uplift is a Thinker Danny.

Its Uplift that ties it all together. This Danny gets an absolutely broken thinker power, in the realm of Dragon levels. He decides he's going to find a way to get his daughter back. His desire cripples his ability to use that power for basically anything but selfish reasons, in the end though eventually the fight with Scion draws near and Danny realizes he needs help, so he makes a device that literally pulls Taylor's from the "what-ifs." They then have a Taylor pow wow and kick Scion's ass.

Obviously that's not happening anymore. Dakka has a totally unrelated plot, so there's no spoilers here, no Drift spoilers either, but they obviously both pulled from the same AU elements. I'm glad I decided to focus on this fic instead of trying the big project with hindsight. I've learned so much since I started, and I can see ways in which my writing has improved, especially in the stage before they hit editing. But a very small part of me wonders what if I had gone for it and tried this idea for real.

Still, I was thinking about the journey that Dakka has taken since I started this project almost two years ago and was laughing a bit at myself for how naive I was in trying such a huge project as a first fic.

But hey, almost two years now, and hopefully it won't take another two years to finish it, but if it does, its been a fun ride. For all the people who've stuck around and are still reading, thanks, it makes it more fun to have an audience.