1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Danni's story (BtVS/Trek)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by AntonioCC, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Threadmarks: Chapter One: A life turned upside down
    AntonioCC

AntonioCC Verified Procrastinator

Danni's story

Chapter 1: A life turned upside down

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its incarnations and all related characters are property of Paramount Pictures and CBS Studios. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and all related characters were created and are owned by Joss Whedon. Star Trek, and Star Trek: The Next Generation created by Gene Roddenberry. I created Danni Castro and her whole family.

Spoilers: the entire Buffy series (well, not this chapter, but the next is going to feature the Scoobies quite heavily), and elements from Star Trek continuity (again, not this chapter, but the following ones).

She was still a kid when her life was turned upside down. She had always known that her family wasn't exactly normal, what with the strip of green hair in his back that her father kept hidden always under a shirt, and the almost unnaturally bright green eyes that the whole family seemed to have, and that she couldn't talk of that, or about some things that her parents kept under lock and key, with strangers.

But one day they received a call that she took, from one of her older sisters. She barely knew her, as she had already been an adult back when she had been born.

"Danni? I'm Toni, I need to talk with Dad, it's urgent." Toni had said, clearly out of breath.

"Okay." Danni said, "DAAAAAAAD! Toni on the phone, she says is urgent!"

Dad took the phone from her and answered.

"Yes, girl? How are... What?... Are you sure?...Fuuuuuck... Listen, I know a guy in Barcelona, his name is Leandro... Toni?... Fuck, the line has cut." he hung the phone, and looked around with a bewildered look.

"Dad? Has something happened to Toni?" Danni said.

That seemed to get him out of the shock and made him look at her.

"I... don't know." he took a deep breath, "Sweetie, go to your room and start packing your backpack. We're going in a camping trip, okay?"

"Okay!" she said, brightly, going up the stairs to her room. It wasn't the first time that they had gone in some unplanned camping trip, usually because her dad had to talk with some cousin or another, so she know what to pack and what to leave behind.

She had finished packing clothes, when her brother Raul came and asked her for her phone. She gave him the phone without thinking, and she went back to finish packing.

She went down the stairs, clutching Coco, her teddy bear, and saw that Raul and Tomás, her brothers, had already packed their things, and mom was moving some things into the garage and putting them in the back of the van that they used when the family had to travel together, while dad was calling somebody that didn't answer the phone.

"Raul, can you give me back the phone?" she said to his brother in a whisper.

"I can't, Danni. Dad will explain to you."

"Daddy?" she said when her father had hung the phone.

"Sorry, kiddo. Remember how in the movies, sometimes they can track people with their phones?" he asked, and after Danni nodded in response, he continued, "There are bad people after us, that was why Toni called, and that's why we are going out, and leaving the phones behind."

"Oh." she said.

They loaded everything in the van without much additional fuss, although her father loaded a few boxes that had been on the garage for a long times, with cans and preserves, and the like, except for the last box.

"Dad, isn't this the box where you keep the stuff you don't want anybody to see?" she asked, curious.

"And how do you know that, young lady?" her father said in a serious voice, although the ghost of a smile danced in his lips.

"I... I may have heard you talking with Tomas last time you went to talk with cousin Damian." she said, not looking at his father, "I didn't mean to, honest!"

"Okay, we'll talk when we arrive to where we are going." her father said, while her mother was placing a series of curious crystals all over the cabin, "Put your backpacks on the back of the van, go to your seats and fasten your belts. Ah, and don't touch those crystals."

As soon as the garage door opened and the van started, a bit down the street, one of the men called a number in the memory of the phone.

"Base, the beasts are leaving the lair. I repeat, the beasts are leaving the lair." he said, "Awaiting instructions."

"Hound 3, follow them, you'll be joined by Hound 1 and 2 in the chase." the commander ordered, "You know the drill."

"Yes, sir." the man on the phone answered, they had been trained on how to do stealthy chases, although this was the first time they had to put that knowledge in use. Damn that beast who escaped Team 6, and warned the others.

The van went through the streets of the city, and the three Hound teams distributed themselves as one before them and two behind, changing who was where as they followed it. Soon it became routine, so when the van turned right unexpectedly to use an underground pass, they had to scramble to follow. Fortunately one of the teams managed to place itself on the other side of the pass before they had time to cross it and waited... and waited... and waited... until the other teams’ cars appeared. Somehow they had lost them.

"Magic is true? Cool!" Danni said.

"Yes, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows, sweetie. There are dark mages around, and even normal magic often carries an steep prize." her father said as her mother was busy chanting the spell that was disguising the van as a SUV, and the crystal were shining, "And besides, we only can do some basic stuff, like what your mother is doing, and only for a short time. Speaking of that..." he said as he turned toward a side street in the industrial park of the city, where they would be out of everybody's eyes. "You can stop."

Her mother stopped chanting and the crystals grew dim until the light went out completely. They got out on the other side and the van stopped before a dilapidated industrial building shortly afterwards. He went out and opened the vehicle door, and parked the van inside.

"There are offices with a bathroom behind that door." he said pointing to a side door. "There is no power, but there is running water, so if you want to go to the loo, or to take a shower, go ahead, while your mother and I get the rooms prepared to sleep here tonight."

After they had all finished, their parents explained them where everything was, and then showed them a secret door disguised as a filing cabinet in a back room.

"If things get bad, go through here and don't look back. You'll get out in an old garage. The owner is an old friend who'll put you in contact with people that will take care of you if... If we can't go with you, okay?" he said, "But nothing will happen, it's just a precaution. Tomorrow we will get on the road, and in a few days this will just be an adventure."

Their parents managed to make them forget momentarily what had happened that night with games and tales, after dinner. And they were to sleep early, her father staying awake, just in case.

Danni awoke in the midst of the night, she had to pee. As she stood, taking Coco with her, she saw that her father had fallen sleep in the chair he was using to keep guard. So, she

"Daddy, wake up." she said, softly putting a hand on his arm, which awoke him instantly.

"I was just resting my eyes, sweetie." he said, "But I think it's time to wake your mother for her time on watch." her father said.

"Okay." she said, before running to the bathroom, Coco in hand, she couldn't hold it much longer.

She was washing her hands after finishing when she heard a noise like glass breaking and smoke starting to fill the room.

"Run!" she heard her parents shout as somebody kicked down the door to the office.

She ran to the back room, trying to ignore the shots and the screams behind her, but somebody grabbed her by the shoulder and threw her to the floor, before tying her legs and arms with zipties to prevent her escape. The man carried her to the corridor where another man was waiting,

"We found a cub, sir!" the man who had thrown her to the ground said. The shots and the screams had stopped now.

"Kill it and put it with the others, Sergeant." The other man, who spoke with a foreign accent, said dismissively, "And don't take your sweet time, like the other day. The Watchers are on our heels."

"Yes, sir!" the soldier said, before thumping saluting his superior officer, "For the purity of Humanity!"

"And for Earth's own survival." the same voice than before answered in a bored tone, before adding as it disappeared in the distance. "Let's go, people, we have to scramble."

The young soldier smiled and produced a big gun from inside his ballistic vest, as the other voices disappeared on the distance. He smiled before aiming it to her forehead, while she tried to crawl away, whimpering.

"Oh, no, little monster, you aren't escaaaaagh..." she heard, just before she felt the body falling with a thud.

"Fucking racist prick," a female voice said, as the man in the ground could only gurgle, due to the throwing knife embedded in his throat.

She turned around and saw a dark haired woman, maybe in her late thirties, followed by a younger Asian woman, stepping into the corridor silently; she pulled another knife and went toward her. Frightened she tried to crawl away from her, but she was over her in a moment, cutting the zipties tying her legs and arms, while the other girl went into the other room

"Come on, kid. They're probably coming back." She said, with only a trace of accent.

Danni shook her head, taking Coco and going to see her father, only to be stopped by the other girl coming back and shaking her head.

“I’m sorry, girl.” She said, speaking Spanish with a South American accent.

"My..." Danni started to say, before her words got caught on her throat.

"Sorry, girl. I arrived too late, to save anyone else." the woman said, shaking her head, "What's your name, sweetie?"

"Danni, Danni Castro." she said, between sobs.

It wasn't until many years later that she understood why the woman misstepped when she told the woman her name, as well as the expression of surprise that appeared for a moment in her face.

“Okay, I’m Kennedy Silva, and this is Rosa Suzuki and I’m a friend of your sister Toni.” The woman said, recovering quickly, “Take my hand, and we’ll get you to a safe place.”

Wordlessly, she did as the woman… as Kennedy said as they went to the back room with the file cabinets, where she could see that the secret door was opened. Together they descended into the secret passage, leaving most of Danni’s old life behind.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Ddmkm122, Kyryst, Axel Fones and 3 others like this.
  2. Threadmarks: Chapter 2: A Gathering Storm
    AntonioCC

Chapter 2: A Gathering Storm​

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its incarnations and all related characters are property of Paramount Pictures and CBS Studios. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and all related characters were created and are owned by Joss Whedon. Star Trek, and Star Trek: The Next Generation created by Gene Roddenberry. I created Danni Castro and her whole family.

Spoilers: the entire Buffy series, and elements from Star Trek continuity. Despite what it can look like, there is a canon Trek character in this chapter.

Author Note:I wish to thank my beta-reader Jediknight for his help.

A Council safehouse in Lisbon

"She is sleeping right now." Kennedy said, as she came back from tucking the girl, Danni, to sleep.

"You seem quite taken with that girl." Willow said, not trying to hide the smile she had after seeing her often abrasive wife almost cooing over a cute kid.

"She is a good kid; way better behaved I was at her age." Kennedy said, shaking her head. "Or at any age, actually, before I got that wakeup call in Odessa." she added, sitting besides her wife, "Seriously, looking back I can't understand how any of you could stand me."

"And look at you now, Senior Slayer." Willow said, "Even Joon acknowledges, even if grudgingly, that you are doing a good work."

Kennedy grimaced to the mention of the North Korean Slayer. She was pretty sure that she must have pissed off some of the Powers to get saddled with Joon, who had pretty much the same attitude she had at her age. Then something that Willow had said registered.

"I'm just the Acting Senior Slayer, until Faith..." Kennedy said, almost automatically.

"She's not coming back, and you know it, Ken." Willow replied, knowing well the real reason of Ken insistence that she was only Acting Senior Slayer, "Not even Faith blames you for what happened to Buffy."

"I do, Wills. I do," Kennedy said, looking at the floor. She sighed and looked back to Willow, "I know that I have to confront my issues, eventually, but this is not the time."

"I think..." Willow started to say, but was interrupted by a knock in the door, "It's open!" she said to whoever was on the other side, "We'll continue this conversation later.'

Kennedy nodded, as an excitable young woman came into the room, and stopped before them.

"Yes, Carrie?" Kennedy asked.

"You have to be in DC in two days!" she said, almost out of breath

Kennedy refrained from an eye-roll. Carrie did good work, but... well, she was as bad as Wills had been at babbling and running her mouth.

"Why don't you start from the beginning, Carrie?." Willow said with a long suffering sigh. Dealing with Carrie she was learning how Giles felt all those years ago.

"Okay, yes, sorry, boss, I was minding the communications room, why do we call it the communication room if we carry the laptop and the phones around, well, as I was saying, it was my turn today and we received a call on the number that we gave the Initiative to contact us after what happened to most of our old contacts, I always wondered how they could miss a whole herd of Isseki demons so close to..."

"It has been three years, why now?" Kennedy asked, more to cut Carrie's ramble than anything else.

"Beats me, although I got the feeling that the new boss, Silverstone, I think she was called, doesn't like us very much." Willow said, "Maybe now she can talk with us from what she perceives as a position of strength."

"That was who called, a Colonel Silverstone!" Carrie said, "She wanted to talk to you in a club in DC, the Green Lady, I think it was called."

"The Green Lady... I don't think that I know it." Kennedy said, her father had worked in the Department of State; hence she was quite familiar with DC, "It must be new."

"Maybe, or it's something out of the usual tracks." Willow said, warning her, "After all, you didn't know about that vamp bar either, and it was quite old."

"You're right." Kennedy said before turning to Carrie, who looked like she desperately wanted to say something, but she was waiting for her turn. 'Maybe she's starting to learn.' Kennedy thought, but before she could do anything Willow, who evidently noticed it too, gestured her to talk.

"Okay, while I was coming up here I looked at it on my phone and the Green Lady is a quite exclusive night club, and two days from now is their costume night." Carrie said.

"Costume night?" Kennedy said, "You mean actual costumes, like Halloween."

"Yeah, from what it's said on their site, they hold it each two weeks, and give a prize to the best costume." Carrie said, looking at her phone, "It looks quite interesting, actually. Next time I'm in DC I could go with my Elsa costume, or maybe with the Ashe costume..."

"We could slip a few Slayers in the club to do reconnaissance." Willow said, tapping her chin, and ignoring Carrie continued ramble about costumes that she could use there.

"By the same token, Silverstone will probably have done the same with Initiative troopers." Kennedy cautioned, "But it's a public place."

"Yeah, I don't think she'll try anything rash." Willow said with a nod.

Initiative new HQ. Location: classified. Not too long afterwards.

"I just received a message from the Council, they agreed, and suggested a costume for me." Colonel Jessica Silverstone, current commanding officer of the Initiative said to her XO, who had just returned from a mission.

"You know I don't like them." the Initiative XO, Captain Patrick Green, a lanky black haired man with an Australian accent, answered with a frown.

"Me either, but we have to work with them at the moment." Silverstone, a stunning redhead in her thirties, replied, before sitting back on her chair, "I'll need a more complete report later, but can you give me a summary?."

"Well, the European teams performed as expected." he said.

"That bad?" Silversone said,a arching an eyebrow.

"Maybe even worse. The only one who did its job without problems was the one that I was supervising, and even then they lost somebody." Green said, shaking his head, "At least our contacts on the Middle East were professional. Stavros should have his ghouls on time."

"That's good, the doctor is starting to get impatient." Silverstone said, "And our contacts on Africa?"

"Excellent news, for once, the drug tests are going better than we hoped. The combat stims would allow one of our soldiers to kill a vamp with their bare hands, and the tranquilizers have been tested on Grox'lars and Kailiffs, and work perfectly." Green answered.

Another Council safehouse. Barcelona.

"Are they all dead?" the woman in the bed

"Only your little sister, Dani, survived." the one eyed man answered, shaking his head.

The woman didn't answered only lying further back in the bed, closing her eyes.

"I can give some time alone, if you want, Toni." the one eyed man said.

"No, Xander. There will be time to grieve later." Toni said, opening her eyes, "There are things that must be done before anything else. Do you have pen and paper?"

"Not here, but you can..."

"No, this is one of those things that should not be left to electronic devices. Even a pen and paper is a compromise, until I can do with the adequate means." she said, shaking her head.

"Okay, Dawn should have one. But don't get yourself worked out, Toni." Xander said, recognizing the tone of a practitioner needing to do something right now.

As Xander disappeared Toni could only think about what could happen. She had needed years to learn the full story and why those strange rituals her extended family practiced were important, but those were things that needed to be done.

"Here it is." Xander said, as he came back holding a sheet of paper, a fountain pen and a ballpoint pen.

"Thanks, now I need a wax candle. Paraffin doesn't work for this, it has to be wax." she said, taking it from his hands, and pricking herself with the point of the fountain pen as she chanted a bit, the quill of the pen absorbing the blood flowing from the wound.

"Blood, seriously?"

"Unfortunately, yes." Toni said, the blood having stopped to flow into the pen, and she started to draw an intricate motif on the paper on her own blood. She needed half an hour to draw the motif from memory and then she pricked her thumb again.

"What are you doing?" Dawn, who had arrived on the meantime, asked.

"It's part of the spell." she said, pressing her thumb in the center of the paper leaving a bloody thumbprint on the center, and then rubbing the bloody thumb all over the candle, leaving smears of blood over it in a banded pattern, before she lighted it.

"What kind of spell?" Dawn asked, "You could have asked for our help."

"Unfortunately, it's tied to my family and my blood. And as far as I know I'm the eldest survivor, so it has to be me." she said before starting to chant loudly in a language that Dawn couldn't identify, though later she thought that it could be related to Magyar. And as the chant reached its conclusion, the glyphs on the paper started to glow and she applied the paper to the flame that consumed it immediately in a giant green flare. With a big sigh, she laid again on the bed, "It's done, the wards should keep its power a few months more."

"Wards for what?" Dawn asked.

"To prevent the return of an Old One, the one who is our ancestor, and the End of the World." Toni answered, closing her eyes, "It's a long story, and I don't have the strength to tell it now. Tomorrow it'll be another day."

TO BE CONTINUED...

3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

OK, it looks so far like Colonel Silverstone is the one who sent the team that murdered Danni and Toni's family - and that she isn't thinking things through, either.

Ddmkm122 and Darman Skirata like this.
  4. AntonioCC

To be fair (so to speak), there is little to difference in the surface Dani's family from the Brachen or other 'can pass for humans' demons. They were chosen as they were little in number, decidedly insular and mostly nomadic (Dani's family was unusual on having settled down, and even then it wasn't permanent), and teh tradition that Toni mentioned was only known by the Elders of the clan and those who would become the next Elders (Toni showed qualities taht qualified for that status an early age, but she was a bit of a free spirit), a perfect target for training the killing teams (which BTW are not part of the Initiative, Silverstone is using the Initiative as cover for the Activities of her organization). And I hope that you noticed who is her number two, though he is better known after being promoted twice.

5. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It didn't register as he's not a Colonel yet, but now that you've hinted at it, it does.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. AntonioCC

Yeah, he is going to play an important role in this story and be the main villain of one of the (planned) sequels.

Ddmkm122 and Prince Charon like this.