1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Denarianquest(Dresden Files/???)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Mr. Birdbird, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Mr. Birdbird

Mr. Birdbird Getting sticky.

You are a member of the Order of the Blackened Denarius.

You are a fallen angel who offers mortals power at the very low cost of their soul. Though you are a being of considerable power, with millenia of accumulated experience, without a host, the only influence you have in the world is a limited ability to direct a single silver coin. Your current host/shell is at the end of its rope, being currently engaged in battle with a pair of wardens. You see an opening. You take advantage. One Warden down...

"Begone, Demon!" He cries out with his last breath.

His death curse is impossibly strong. A once in a millenia improbability that even you didn't think possible. You are helpless as your coin gets sucked into a tiny hole in reality that closes behind you.

This is not the Nevernever. This is the void beyond time, from whence The Almighty spoke the realm of mortals into existence. Were you free of your coin, you could easily return to the world. Unfortunately for you, you are still trapped in your eternally drifting coin. After several mortal lifespans, you encounter a tear in reality, and use your power to push yourself through.

The tear in the void feels:

[]Incredibly familiar. You can sense his influence even from here(Return to Dresden Files).
    []Green with desperation(Familiar of Zero).
    []Like a fractal, shattered and schizophrenic(Nasuverse).
    []Like power incarnate. You can hear the transcendental song of mathematical equations even here(Nanoha).
    []Like elemental chaos. You hear the same six notes repeating themselves(Codex Alera).
    []Whimsical and chaotic, but with a hidden power not to be underestimated(Harry Potter).
    []Like the moon and stars(Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind).
    []The songs of madness and order, and the wavelengths of souls (Soul Eater)
    []Write In(Include a vote on the list as your secondary, in the event I'm not familiar with the universe you propose)

Character Generation and Notes:

A Denarian can override his host's free will to make them act directly. However, they will take a signficant hit to their power when they do. A Denarian is strongest when he
    and his host are in agreement with each other.

Skill Checks will be based on a d100

Name:
    -[]Write in

Epitaph(I.E. Lasciel the Webweaver, etc. You will get bonuses to acts thematically relevant to your epitaph):
    -[]Write in

Transformation(Every Denarian has the ability to transform some aspect of themselves using their power. Ursiel becomes a demonic bear. Nicodemus's Shadow becomes something that could influence the world. Deidre's hair becomes prehensile. Others become Obsidian statues, or swarms of insects. What's yours?)
    -[]Write in

Affinities(Invest 60 points, minimum 1 per stat. These determine the strength of the enhancements you can give your host.):
    Magic:
    Physical:
    Intellectual:
    Social:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  2. bzzt3421

bzzt3421 Getting sticky.

[]Incredibly familiar. You can sense his influence even from here.
    []Green with desperation. (Familar of Zero)
    []Like a fractal, shattered and schizophrenic.
    []Like power incarnate. You can hear the transcendental song of mathematical equations even here.(Nanoha)
    []Elemental chaos. You hear the same six notes repeating themselves.
    [x]Whimsical and Chaotic, but with a power not to be underestimated.(Haruhi?)
    []Like the moon and stars.(Sailor Moon?)

Name:
    -Azazel

Epitaph:
    -Cultivator of Men

Transformation
    -To grow, to strengthen, to enrich. The Cultivator's true form is the form the host itself, except it is more. More powerful, more intelligent, more subsitence, more real, then it once was. The Cultivator knows it derives it's strength from it's host, and so makes it's host greater then it once was, after all, the power of it's host, is it's power as well.

Affinities(Invest 60 points, minimum 1 per stat):
    Magic:15
    Physical: 10
    Intellectual: 15
    Social: 20

3. Mr. Birdbird

4. Zasnul

Zasnul blah

Like power incarnate. You can hear the transcendental song of mathematical equations even here(Fullmetal Alchemist)
    Like the moon and stars(sailor moon?

5. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Power Incarnate is obviously Nanoha.

I want to see a social-based denarian in a lower tiered setting. Like Game I'd Thromes.

6. Mr. Birdbird

Confirming Nanoha before I go to bed to catch whatever shuteye I can.

7. Mr. Birdbird

Stat notes I probably should have posted earlier:

Physical: Acquired Martial arts knowledge you can supply your host with, how much transforming can physically enhance your host, your skill in physical combat if you assume direct control.

Physical 10: You have the equivalent of a Black Belt in one Martial Arts style, and can share this skill with your host. You can physically enhance your host to the strength of a predatory animal.

Physical 20: You have the equivalent of a Black Belt in two Martial Arts styles, or the ability to fight at the level of a master in one. You can physically enhance your host to the strength of a man in powered armor.

Physical 30: You have created at least one form of Martial arts yourself, and can fight at the level of a master in multiple forms of martial arts. You can physically enhance your host to the strength of a Skinwalker, or a powerful faerie.

Magical: Your acquired stockpile of magical knowledge, and should you go to another universe, your ability to continue utilizing the rules of Dresdenverse magic to your benefit. A school of magic you can use without penalty elsewhere in the multiverse will receive a bonus in the Dresdenverse.

Magic 10: Your expertise in two forms of magic are beyond doubt. You are capable of instructing your host in their use, and can utilize these schools of magic at no penalty, regardless of your location in the multiverse.

Magic 15: You are capable of using hellfire to enhance your host's magic.

Magic 20: Your expertise in four forms of magic are beyond doubt. You are capable of instructing your host in their use, and can utilize these schools of magic at no penalty, regardless of your location in the multiverse.

Magic 25: You have sufficient skill with true names to utilize them at no penalty, regardless of your location in the multiverse.

Magic 30: Regardless of where you are in the multiverse, you are capable of using any form of magic a Dresdenverse mortal could perform at no penalty. You are one of the greatest authorities on magic within the Order of the Blackened Denarius.

Intellectual: Your skill in research and engineering, your ability to aid your host on a mental level.

Intellectual 10: You have the equivalent of three Doctorates, and can share your ability to understand any language with your host.

Intellectual 15: You can grant your host photographic memory.

Intellectual 20: You can accelerate your host's mental processes in short bursts without causing brain damage(Enough to have a brief conversation before a fight). You have the equivalent of six doctorates.

Intellectual 30: You can accelerate your host's mental processes without causing brain damage for long enough periods to be used in combat(Bullet Time). You could probably cause a singularity if you wanted to, because your intellect rivals that of Alex Mercer.

Social: Your force of personality, your knowledge of etiquette and practical psychology, and your ability to persuade your host

Social 10: While you have corrupted many hosts, a sizable portion of them are weak willed and non-influential. Your instincts on social matters are not sufficient to warn your host about mistakes they may be making when it comes to dealing with influential people(More Social improves your ability to read more important people)

Social 20: You have experience working with locally influential people, and individuals with enough supernatural power to be worth your notice. Your instincts on social matters are sufficient to warn your host about mistakes they may be making when it comes to dealing with influential people, and you would be capable of helping your host get elected to a local office.

Social 30: You have worked in the domains of Politicians and Leaders of all stripes, supernatural or otherwise. You have an instinctive knowledge of etiquette that does not fail, regardless of your situation, and even shame Lasciel when it comes to your ability to read and manipulate mortals. You could help your host get elected to a national office.

8. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Is Physical Enhancement accompanied by the usual Denarian battle form, or is this above and beyond that?

9. Mr. Birdbird

10. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

How many points is Anduriel or Lasciel?

11. drake_azathoth

drake_azathoth Fabulously Evil

[x] Like Power Incarnate. (Nanoha)
    [x] Name: Bifrons
    [x] Epitah: The Calculus of Evil. (Math, Ruthlessness)
    [x] Transformation: Bifrons allows it's host to discard what is unworthy in it's form and enhance the rest. The host becomes SMALLER, darkening in hue, and looks not unlike a rather horrific fanged and clawed agile ape. This is a defensive form well suited to evasion, taking a hit, and ambush.

Physical:20 (Imbue host with mastery of a martial art and strength of a man in power armor)
    Magical: 25 (Use and instruct host in four schools of magic - anywhere. Use True Names anywhere.)
    Intellectual:10 (Equivalent of three Doctorates. Allow host to speak any language.)
    Social: 5

12. EnderofWorlds

EnderofWorlds Versed in the lewd.

[X] Like a Fractal, shattered and Schizophrenic(Nasuverse)
    Name:
    -Azazel

Epitaph:
    -Cultivator of Men

Transformation:
    -To grow, to strengthen, to enrich. The Cultivator's true form is the form the host itself, except it is more. More powerful, more intelligent, more subsitence, more real, then it once was. The Cultivator knows it derives it's strength from it's host, and so makes it's host greater then it once was, after all, the power of it's host, is it's power as well.

Affinities(Invest 60 points, minimum 1 per stat. These determine the strength of the enhancements you can give your host.):
    Magic: 20
    Physical: 15
    Intellectual: 10
    Social: 15

13. Mr. Birdbird

If I were to stat Anduriel and Lasciel within the constraints of my system as 60 point characters, they would look something like this:

Lasciel
    Physcial - 3
    Magic - 15
    Intellectual - 20
    Social- 22

Anduriel(60 pt version)
    Physical - 20
    Magic - 10
    Intellectual - 10
    Social - 20

Anduriel is more likely to be a 70 pointer though.

14. thisisinsane

thisisinsane Not too sore, are you?

Nanoha
    Name:
    -Azazel

Epitaph:
    -Cultivator of Men

Transformation

Affinities(Invest 60 points, minimum 1 per stat):

15. Guile

Nanoha, bleh.

[]Like elemental chaos. You hear the same six notes repeating themselves.

16. serapheus

serapheus Eep~

-sigh- Ugh, I really hate guessing at where we might end up in an RP. Nanoha is just Bleh though. We'd be overpowered in days. We've got utility on them but they're just too over powered. And I just don't like the series.

I think I'll go for a write-in and one of the unknowns as a secondary

---

[X] Write In: The songs of madness and order, and the wavelengths of souls (soul eater)

secondary
    -[X]Like elemental chaos. You hear the same six notes repeating themselves.

Name:
    -Azazel

Epitaph:
    -Cultivator of Men

Transformation:

17. Mr. Birdbird

Think I'll drop another hint for the elemental chaos route.

The setting could be described as a world of lost things.

18. Guile

6 notes, elemental chaos, and lost things.

I still got nuthin'.

19. Mr. Birdbird

Fark it. I'll just say it. Elemental chaos is Codex Alera.

Six Notes = The six types of furycrafting(Earth,Air,Water, Fire, Wood, Metal)

World of Lost things = The two ideas Jim Butcher drew on when he was initially writing the series were "Lost Roman Legion", and "Pokemon"

20. thisisinsane

thisisinsane Not too sore, are you?

Ooooooooooh- Change my location vote to
    [X] Codex Alera

21. Mr. Birdbird

I would like to say that I will accept Soul Eater as a write in, but advise that I'm only familiar with the anime at the moment.

While I'm at it, I'll mention the other unconfirmed settings.

[x]Like a Fractal, shattered and Schizophrenic(Nasuverse)

[x]Whimsical and Chaotic, but with a hidden power not to be underestimated(Harry Potter)

[x]Like the Moon and Stars(Morrowind Era Elder Scrolls)

22. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

[X] Like a Fractal, shattered and Schizophrenic(Nasuverse)
    Name:
    -Azazel

Epitaph:
    -Cultivator of Men

Transformation:

We won't be the most powerful guy on the block here but our magic should be an OCP for most characters in the setting.

23. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

[X] Alera

24. serapheus

serapheus Eep~

Vote change:

[X] Write In: The songs of madness and order, and the wavelengths of souls (soul eater)

secondary
    -[X] Like a Fractal, shattered and Schizophrenic(Nasuverse)

Name:
    -Azazel

Epitaph:
    -Cultivator of Men

Transformation:

---

Nasuverse would be just too fun with our type of magic

Also, is soul eater a possibility or too unfamiliar, Bird?

25. Mr. Birdbird

I mentioned I'd be willing to try Soul Eater in the post where I gave away what the rest of the settings were.

26. Mr. Birdbird

Tally:

Setting:

(1)Harry Potter(Does your vote still stand with this setting, bzzt3421?) - bzzt3421

(1)Nanoha - Drake_Azathoth

(2)Nasuverse - Enderofworlds, Malcolmo

(4)Codex Alera - Guile, Vanathor, thisisinsane, bzzt3421

(1)Soul Eater - Serapheus

Name:

(5)Azazel - bzzt3421, Enderofworlds, thisisinsane, Serapheus, Malcolmo

(1)Bifron - drake_azathoth,

Epitaph:

(5)Cultivator of Men - bzzt3421, Enderofworlds, thisisinsane, Serapheus, Malcolmo

(1)Calculus of Evil - drake_azathoth,

Transformation:

(5)Origination - bzzt3421, Enderofworlds, thisisinsane, Serapheus, Malcolmo

(1)Infernal Ape - Drake_Azathoth

Build:

(Supporters = thisisinsane, bzzt3421)

(Supporters = Serapheus, Malcolmo, Enderofworlds)
    Intellectual:10

(Supporters = drake_azathoth)
    Physical:20
    Magical: 25
    Intellectual:10
    Social: 5

27. bzzt3421

bzzt3421 Getting sticky.

Changed to Codex Alera.

28. Mr. Birdbird

It looks like we have consensus then. Time to hash out the rest of the details.

Timing:

[x]During Canon
    [x]After Canon

Martial Arts knowledge:

[x]Black belt equivalent in a striking oriented style
    [x]Black belt equivalent in a grappling oriented style

Doctorates(Pick 3):
    [x]Write in
    [x]Write in
    [x]Write in

Origination sign:

[x]Your skin takes on a golden color and your eyes go red as you display your sigil and your features become more reminiscent of a charismatic fae(Bonus to Strength/Persuasion/Magic).
    [x]Your skin takes on a golden color and your eyes go red as you display your sigil. Your features become more statueesque(Bonus to strength/intimidation/Constitution)
    [x]You develop a smoldering black glow as your features begin to resemble one of the infernal nobility and you display your sigil. (Bonus to Magic/Intimidation/Strength)
    [x]Write in

Magical Specializations(Pick four):

[x]Evocation(Element)
    [x]Thaumaturgy
    [x]Necromancy
    [x]Mental Manipulation
    [x]Healing
    [x]Enchantment of magic items
    [x]Ectomancy
    [x]Divination via entrail readings
    [x]Veils
    [x]Write in.

29. serapheus

serapheus Eep~

No opinion on timeline, I've never read the series. No great intention to either.

Martial Arts knowledge:
    [X] Black belt equivalent in a grappling oriented style

Doctorates:
    [X] Archeology
    [X] Anthropology
    [X] Applied Mathematics(Social mathematics)

Origination sign:
    [X] Your skin gains an uneartly perfect quality that is difficult for witnesses to describe and the entirety of your eyes(sclera and iris) turn golden as you display your sigil and your features become more reminiscent of a charismatic fae. (Bonus to Persuasion/Magic/Intimidation)

30. bzzt3421

bzzt3421 Getting sticky.

Timing:

During Canon

Martial Arts knowledge:

Black belt equivalent in a striking oriented style
    (Because grappling in an land where the sword and the spear rule may not be the best idea ever. You can only grapple one person at a time after all, you can strike at mutliple people. )

Doctorates:

Chemical Engineering
    Mechanical Engineering
    Manufacture Engineering
    (The chemical and mechanical cover upteching, and manufacture covers how to implement the uptech)

Origination sign:

Your skin takes on a golden color and your eyes go red as you display your sigil and your features become more reminiscent of a charismatic fae(Bonus to Strength/Persuasion/Magic).

Magical Specializations:

Thaumaturgy
    Healing
    Enchantment of magic items
    Veils

(Healing because just in case, the other three, because the Alera series really doesn't have a equivalent.)