1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Elite Gamer [The Gamer AU]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by ryuan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Threadmarks: Chapter 1.1
    ryuan

ryuan The guy who can't write smut for shit

I blinked at the notification, and tentatively touched the floating panel. As if by magic, the window disappeared from view. I thought nothing of it for a while, but more strange things keep happening.

When I went to school I passed by several people I had never seen before, but above their heads I could see names and levels, much like in a MMORPG. It was the same in the school proper, and I noticed that most students had a level around two to four, while the teachers ranged between six to eight.

There were only two exceptions: the homeroom teacher which was level twelve...

"Hey Jee-han, how are you doing?"

"I think I'm playing too many video-games", I said to my friend.

Shin Sun-Il, my childhood friend and overall partner in crime. He's also the second exception to the average levels, being himself level twenty five. On top of that he have the title 'One Who Endeavors', marking him as a special existence.

Well, it makes sense since he's quite the martial artist. Not only he knows Taekkyon, an ancient korean martial arts, but he also knows taekwon-do and even won championships himself.

"Figured that out just now?" He said with a grim to me.

"Oh ha hah, how cute."

"Bitch I'm adorable!"

We both stared at each other for a few moments before we laughed at that. "Heh, how long have been waiting to pull that off?"

"Ever since the new episode came out, actually", admitted my friend, "at least the english classes were useful for something."

"Hear hear".

As the day went on, even though the names and levels didn't bother me anymore, it still made me think about things.

~~O~~

Back at home I went to study, and a few hours later I heard my mom ask me to go and buy some tofu which in turn gave me a Quest to perform, with rewards and everything.

When I came back with the food my mother greeted me with a smile and a notification giving me a pittance of experience.

Once more at my room I stared at the mirror for a while, seeing my own level floating on the reflection in front of me. That level one was staring at me, taunting me.

"I guess it really is real", I said to myself. The notifications, the displays, everything. It looks like my life is now a video-game.

What am I going to do with that?

I glanced at my computer screen, and saw my Ragnarok Online character at max level, perfect MVP build with the best equipment hours of grinding could buy. Then I remembered all the other games I had and how I ranked as an elite in all of them.

"Well, it's true that I play my games for fun, but there's nothing more fun than winning. If my life is now a game, I'm going to win it!"

AN: A slightly more munchkin Han Jee-han. This story will start at around one week before canon, roughly when he got the ability if my estimate is correct. Beware, this fanfic will have even more irregular updates than it's usual for my works. I will write on this one to pass the time when I have writer's block on other stories.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Threadmarks: Chapter 1.2
    ryuan

It didn't take long to learn the basics of this ability. Overall I have a couple of menus such as status, skills, quests, relationships, options, party settings, even a minimap that could zoom out up to the city map size, though currently the only marked locations where my house and the school.

Back to my character status menu, I stared at the status for a while trying to figure out how they would work. On one hand most games have it so you need to level up in order to increase your abilities, though it's not uncommon to gain bonus traits by training or events. I also had to take into consideration that while I was living like a video game, I was still fully unaware of the actual level of realism of the game.

There were also skills that I could learn, and currently I had only two.

Gamer's Mind, which allows me to keep calm even under pressure, much like how a player would have the cold blood to perform feats that if he were to do with his own flesh and blood body he would shake with fright, and Gamer Body which gave my body the properties of a video game character.

Well, might as well start testing a few things.

First I downloaded a couple of e-books, the "do it yourself" or instruction manuals of all kinds of crafts and professions and I burned it into a CD-Room. My idea paid off when those CDs turned out to be 'skill books', where I could learn those things as skills. I didn't wasted time and took a couple of them, ending with some interesting results.

Craft (Active) (Level 1) (0.0%)
    The ability to turn raw goods into finished products.
    Success Rate increases with Dexterity, Intelligence, Luck and Skill Level.
    Crafting Recipes: 0

Massage (Active) (Level 1) (0.0%)
    A skill to loose muscles and relax the body, being able to cure joints related negative effects.
    Recover 0,05% of fatigue per second on target
    Greatly increases fatigue recovery rate on target

Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do (Passive) (Level 1) (0.0%)
    A martial arts system and philosophy derived from the wing chun invented by the late Bruce Lee. A hybrid martial art focused on counters and attack interception.
    Increase unarmed damage by 10%
    Increase unarmed attack speed by 10%
    Increase unarmed counter attack damage by 20%

Speed Reading (Passive) (Level 1) (0.0%)
    A method to quickly read large amounts of text while retaining text comprehension.
    Increase reading speed by 25%
    Text comprehension is 50%

Repair (Active) (Level 1) (0.0%)
    The ability to repair objects back to full functionality
    Success rate increases with Dexterity, Intelligence, Luck and Skill Level

Dancing (Active) (Level 1) (0.0%)
    The ancient skill to move your body in rhythm pattern for ritual or entertainment purposes
    Success rate increases with Dexterity, Vitality and Skill Level

And many, many other skills. I ended up with quite a few skills I probably would never bother to use, so I thanked the powers that be for the Sort function and the Category tab in my skill menu.

I was also certain that I would gain more skills by performing some kind of special action, otherwise a tutor would never be able to teach me anything himself, or I would never be able to come up with original skills on my own. I know, it's a bit optimistic to think my power is that helpful but I rather keep up with positive thoughts.

Next I was going to try 'training' my stats. Sadly all of them would take time to train in order to make sure if that feature exists or not, and some of those traits, I'm looking at you Wisdom, would be fiendishly hard to train by the simple fact I have no idea on how to actually train it.

There was however one of them that was the 'low hanging fruit' so to speak, and that was Luck. All I had to do was to try my luck against statistics for a while to figure out if my luck could be improved.

"That was way easier than I thought." I muttered with a face palm.

Well, if my powers are being this forthcoming, don't mind me if I do my best~

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  3. Oakgem217

Oakgem217 Connoisseur of Power Fantasy

While there isn't much to the story yet, I eagerly await more :) keep up the good work.

4. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Seems interesting start so far....

5. marsolino

marsolino I trust you know where the happy button is?

A munchkin Han Jee-Han?! Definitely interesting...

6. sunandshadow

sunandshadow Impractical Fantasy Animal

I'm always interested in Gamer-inspired stories. :) This hasn't really deviated from canon yet so there's not a lot I can respond to, so just one minor correction. "Am I" can't be contracted to "I'm"; only "I am" can be contracted to "I'm". So if you want to have a contraction here to make the sentence sound casual, you can contract "gong to" to "gonna" instead.

7. Threadmarks: Chapter 1.3
    ryuan

Now that I can improve my stats by performing significant actions, it was easy to test how to further improve it. I even had the perfect trait to grind at this moment.

In today's modern world where violence was frowned upon and the government had a monopoly of force, having very high physical stats isn't exactly advantageous from a practical point. It certainly beats being a weakling, and it's obviously possible to excel in sports or the military where such traits would be prized, but for the most part today's world put the greatest importance in mental capabilities.

However there is something else that posses great importance since ancient times.

Luck.

It doesn't matter if you're strong, smart or beautiful, if the opportunity doesn't come knocking on your door you will never prosper while on the other hand if you're incredibly lucky even if you screw up several times opportunity will always come back for you. More importantly, with luck your opportunity will come tailored specifically for you.

How many times people saw an amazing job that paid well become available, only to let it pass since you didn't had the relevant competencies to perform it? With high enough luck not only you would get opportunities, but the opportunities would be made specifically for you to take advantage right away.

In certain novels, that would be a know, quantifiable event called "Fortuitous Encounter".

Since I raised my wisdom earlier, a stat that by it's very nature should be very hard to improve, and my luck is listed as a common stat instead of a hidden value, then clearly it's possible to train it.

Even if I would later train those abilities, I would be well served with a high luck score and I have just the thing to maximize my luck gains.

Theoretically.

... I think my power is mocking me.

~~O~~

It took two hours to make it, and several level ups in Scripting, Art and Speed Typing, but I finally managed to make the perfect tool to level up luck.

A type of button clicker game, where I had to click on a button and roll a six faced dice, harvesting all the six that landed in order to earn points. With those points I could buy more dice, get an auto-clicker and some other random upgrades that were inconsequential but made the grinding experience less of a boredom inducing nightmare. With a choice of nice upbeat music to pass the time I uploaded this simple, prototype game to a game hosting site to see how well it went.

If I were lucky I could even get some donations to my paypal account.

Now, to test the game. Starting from clicking the button for a while, then taking the new points and buying more dice in order to try and harvest more sixes, and so on and so forth.

~~O~~

I had no words.

Once realizing I could indeed level up my luck, I started clicking like crazy but soon the trait started to take too long to gain another point. Then I started buying extra dice and things started to get crazy.

When I got ten extra dice the points started to get back, when I got fifty dice total things kept improving at a fast pace, at one hundred the dice I was starting to gain points like crazy.

At one thousand dice total my luck went up to such a degree that I think I found my first exploit of my power.

After a little over one hour since I started, my luck went from nine to eighty-four!

Not only that, but I even got a special skill out of the deal when I hit level fifty.

Golden Rule (Passive) (Level 1) (0.0%)
    A mark of good fortune, making it so you never face money problems as circumstances conspire to give you money.
    Increase Money Drop Rate by 10%
    Increase Dropped Money Value by 100%
    Gain 1% chance to randomly find Money when checking a new container

Idly, I checked the drawer of my computer desk and I found a single 50k Won bill stashed right in the back. Even if I had simply forgotten the bill was there in the first place, the simple fact that now I have it in hand is proof enough of my new found luck and skill.

I wonder what's going to happen at the end of the week.

AN: I finally found a good enough way to track down trait and skill level increases for my future or previous quests.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. marsolino

Golden Rule is something Gilgamesh from Fate has, right? It's a delicious cheat...

9. Bashful_Walrus

Bashful_Walrus I trust you know where the happy button is?

Holy fuck yes let our gamer exploit the duck outta everything.

january1may and KinKrow like this.
  10. ryuan

I read somewhere that the author stated luck was possible to train by rolling dices, and you gain experience towards improving it each time you rolled a six in a six faced dice. Not only that but by rolling more than one dice at once he could speed up the process.

My first thought was to buy literal bucket loads of dice and roll them using two large plastic bowls and dropping them from one side to another.

Then I realized that there's no need to actually throw physical dice so long as the random factor is kept, so all he had to do is to make a program to roll dice for him. He couldn't automate the process, he had to manually roll the dice, but since a computer can roll thousands of dice per click in an instant there's no reason for him to roll dice like crazy.

Technically speaking, Jee-han had just rolled over one point two million dices over the course of an hour.

11. marsolino

Jee-Han is walking down the street, "Oh, lookit here! A legendary scroll! 'How to become immortal', cool!"

*takes another step*

"A bag of a billion Won? Cool!"

january1may likes this.
  12. ryuan

That's not how its going to work. There's exploit, then there's giving a blowjob to your own character.

Said legendary scroll would be part of loot from a dungeon, or the billion won would come with strings attached, stuff like that.

What the luck would actually do is to increase the opportunities to gain those extra money and loot. He would still need to go on quests and kill enemies to get the rewards, specially the ones that are really good. It's just that his random loot drop table is now skewed towards more useful things with higher luck.

alanzilla, gjin733, Biigoh and 3 others like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Chapter 1.4
    ryuan

Luck was easy to level up from now on, and I could focus on something else. There was still two hours before I went to bed and I still need to finish a few tests.

The next target of my training would be Intelligence. Easier to train than Wisdom, nearly as important and I actually had a loose idea on how to train it differently from Wisdom.

First off, baby steps. I started doing addition and subtraction inside my head while I idly clicked on my luck training game, getting to a good enough rhythm that wouldn't distract me from the mental calculations.

Worst case I probably learn how to do quick calculations in my head at a fast pace. It should at least prove itself to be useful in the future.

Starting with a two digit number and going up from there, I tried my best.

~~O~~

Through a special action the skill [Fast Arithmetic] was created!

Fast Arithmetic (Passive) (Level 1) (0.0%)
    The ability to mentally calculate numbers at a fast speed, greatly enhancing your mathematics ability. A basic skill for several types of professionals.
    Increase Arithmetic calculations by 5%

I blinked my tired eyes out of the screen before realizing I still had to take a shower. Somewhere along the way I had went down to have dinner, wash dishes and return to my bed while completely forgetting to take a bath. It's not rare for that to happen, but it's the first time that happened when I'm doing the equivalent of homework.

A hot shower later I went back to my room and used massage on myself, feeling completely refreshed after I finished.

Today I will limit myself to sleeping at midnight, then at one o'clock and further on trying to find the boundaries of massage.

Now, back to mental math.

~~O~~

"You look disgustingly perky this early in the morning", said Sun Il once we meet each other in the road for a change. "What happened?"

"Oh, I found those fancy tricks on the internet and tried them out. Worked like a charm~"

"Nice. Can you teach me how to do that bro?"

"Mhm? Hmmmm, maaaybe? I wonder what this little trick of mine is worth to you~"

"Come on, don't you want to help your dear bro? You know how hard it is to wake up at the morning, I usually need to dunk my head in cold water to properly wake up."

As we fooled around I couldn't help but think if I should or shouldn't tell my childhood friend about this ability of mine. I mean, it's not like I expect Sun Il to spread the secret around, he's simply not the type to do that and he's smart enough to conclude that I'm not a super special unique snowflake and thus there are others with powers like me, and that there's likely a reason for the masses not to know of the existence of people with powers like me, either due to the government or some other kind of grand conspiracy.

"How about this, if you're free after school we can talk a little bit more later. I will even treat you."

"Oh? Did you squeezed some allowance out of your mother? Because I can't see you using your gaming funds to buy me dinner."

"You could say I got a lucky break yesterday. Interested?"

"Sure, why not? You're lucky that I finished my special training yesterday and I need to rest for a little while."

"Yeah", I said with a smile, "I'm feeling quite lucky lately."

14. MimeofDeath

MimeofDeath No, I do not "know what you mean".

Phone app version of his game so that he can play it anywhere. Just keep a finger over the button, to keep clicking while it's in his pocket, and he can do it while at school focusing on other things.

15. ryuan

It can be done. Since I'm not used to phone apps (I'm poor) I haven't thought of that, but jeehan certainly could think of it.

16. gjin733

gjin733 Not too sore, are you?

With increased luck, does he get 6(what is the range by the way?) more often?

17. Valor

Valor Versed in the lewd.

Phone apps that cost money?

lol.

There's a fuckload of freeware everywhere. Git gud, scrub.

18. ryuan

How about the goddamn phone itself asshole?

19. Valor

Don't overreact like a little bitch. It was natural to assume you had a phone with touch screen, but you don't. My bad.

Or were you implying/saying that you were too poor to own a phone? Wasn't really that clear, going by your reaction. In any case, I'm sorry for poking at what turned out to be a very sensitive topic.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  20. ryuan

Don't come to other people threads calling others little bitches, you fucktard.

january1may likes this.
  21. Valor

I'm sorry about making you feel bad.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    thawsta likes this.
  22. ryuan

You're not. You're really, really not.

But I can pretend you're not bating and we can let this behind us.

Cold Burn and preier like this.
  23. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Yes, this had better be left behind and forgotten.

Or else.

24. Kshail

Kshail Not too sore, are you?

Oooh pretty sweet. Han Jee-Han kicking ass with that dice game. That's brilliant. Well I'll be watching this for whenever it's updated.

25. Joltgeot

Joltgeot Know what you're doing yet?

Would it bother you if when in my current jumpchain my SI goes to the gamer jump, they remember reading this fic in their first life and try to imitate the trick? Because luck is probably the stat they'd want to raise the most. I'm of the imitation is the sincerest form of flattery opinion, but maybe your not. It would of course be attributed to reading this story.

january1may likes this.
  26. ryuan

Go nuts, a lot of tricks I'm stealing from the Emperor Tippy own Star Wars inspired gamer fic anyway.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Draconix and alanzilla like this.
  27. Kshail

Kshail Not too sore, are you?

Thanks for that. Hadn't read that one before just finished it and it's one of the better Gamer stories I've seen.

28. bard56

bard56 Accedental Necromancer

• You were warned before about Rule 7. Again, remember necromancy is not permitted.
    i wish to see this continue. the path taken here is very interesting.

january1may likes this.