1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallen London!

Discussion in 'General' started by UrsaTempest, Aug 29, 2016.

1. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

.. Is a text-based web game, and the premise is: a bunch of bats stole London and drop it underground. You, the players, are a poor schmuck that goes there for various reasons. Maybe you accidentally fall. Maybe you try to escape from something in the surface. Maybe you are looking for something. Who knows?

It's made by the maker of Sunless Sea, so if that's your thing you may want to check this out, too.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/

And yes, I'm not entirely altruistic for promoting this. While most of the contents are free and single player, having contacts are still useful for some stories - and grant you second try items, which is very useful.

As far as I know, only me and @blooshy plays it. But maybe you play it, too. Or interested. In that case, my in-game name is Ursa Tempest.

NTKV and Grosstoad like this.
  2. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

Go play Sunless Sea.

NTKV likes this.
  3. UrsaTempest

I did. Not in position with computer, unfortunately.

Jiven likes this.
  4. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Sounds interesting, is the humour good?

5. UrsaTempest

Well, I like the humor. Why would I play it otherwise?

6. Heaven Canceler

Well, I will see for now. I added you as a contact^^

UrsaTempest likes this.
  7. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

The level 1-100 content is totally great, but the grind to build your ship and afterwards is torturous. I couldn't sustain it.

Still a wonderful experience, though. Fallen London is just dripping with atmosphere and clever content and dry british gallows humor.

8. Heaven Canceler

I have fully lost myself in the whole thing. I don't know what I should do first. I just know that I cannot seem to grind my Dangerous stat. Except maybe if I go around hurting people I guess. But I am already acting as super-nice guy with Magnanimous 6 .

I have no clue whether that will unlock something good, but I just didn't feel like hurting any of the poor sods I have met.

Oh, and my wounds and Nightmare keep going up and I have trouble getting them lower unless I get a lucky card.

Grosstoad likes this.
  9. UrsaTempest

Go to your Lodge and pick sleeping option. It'll reduce both Wounds and Nightmare.

Get Talkative Rattus Fabber pet from Bazaar (under Zoological) . It'll reduce all your stats by 25. Pick ultra-hard but safe Dangerous action (as in, failure just doing nothing) . Then grind 'en.

Heaven Canceler likes this.
  10. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

i'm mkire in fallen london as well. Will be happy to accept calling cards. I am pursuing the dangerous ambition 'bag a legend' for people who have their own newspaper

UrsaTempest likes this.
  11. UrsaTempest

Yeah, I'm thinking pursuing Diamond Ambition tbh.

Currently Grinding Watchful to 70-ish, then Dangerous before taking a leap to become A Person of Some Importance.

12. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

You'll need to be able to hit one hundred in every stat to become a Person of Some Importance, either through having them at 100 base or through equipment bonuses bumping you up

13. UrsaTempest

Right, thanks!

Any tips where best to grind 70-100 with the aid of Talkative Rattus Fabber?

14. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

Honestly, just play whatever your heart fancies. you'll get there.

You can spend the second chances for bumps to stats, even at 100+ it's fairly significant.

Do this in your lodgings under society and scandal, or the three 'invite a friend to something'

finally i have made the hit to PoSI, and would be happy to help people with suspicion and wounds, i have need of making waves

15. UrsaTempest

A date at Dante's Grill, then? :V Well, I don't mind, though I don't have a lot of suspicion and wounds. If nobody interested, feel free to send it to me!

16. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

Watchmakers Hill Department of Menace eradication you can take jobs there to go rat catching or some other things that are not hurting people and it will increase your dangerous

17. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

Grosstoad is there.

Find me if you dare.

No knives behind me back,

Just shove you into the black.

18. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

19. Grosstoad

Alas, I am still not. Not for lack of effort. I am after to be-

-Oh, wait. A Person of Some Interest?

Ah, yes, yes, I am.

20. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

are you making the notability climb?

21. Grosstoad

Currently, I have two sentences in the Slowcake's Exceptionals. And they have underlined my name.
    A bit more, and the Amanuesis mentions that I might get an illustration included.

I was considering of getting something drawn by a Rubbery Man for my image. And while you might think that might be too racy, apparently the Amanuesis agrees with such polite opine.

Oh, perhaps you are asking about how to make such upward climb in your own Notability, or some might say Notorierity, perhaps?

You can do many things! But most important thing is that you have to do many things that get you reputation. Do things in public places! Debate your philosophy with the devils this candlemark, confront them furiously the next, and then write and carol hymns to heaven in said furious devils' faces as your climax!

Then after your take some spore-toffee or a nap to heal your wounds, do it all over again.

Or you can do a more sedate stuff, like making epic poems, a saga of a promiscuous devil, a science-fiction of planetary conquests, write and direct opera for the Empress and her Consort, get your name up and down the Court.

Or maybe you are a more 'private' sort, ahem, going in and out of certain places, and procuring, ah, let's say souvenirs? That's okay, you just need to make sure that news of your daring go around the right circles, just perhaps not among the constables or those among the Masters of the Bazaar.

Last but not least, mingle among other Londoners. Invite them to restaurants, have private dinners, and make merry with them.

UrsaTempest likes this.
  22. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

Informational, thank you. but more to the point i was actually asking if you'd let me vampire some of your making waves with visits to dante's

23. UrsaTempest

Thanks for the gift, mkire! It's very nice!

24. Grosstoad

Sadly, I am currently on Polythreme, so I cannot accede to your polite worded request to dine upon my reputation. ;)

25. UrsaTempest

Well.. I have some making waves, and it isn't like I'll need it anytime soon..

26. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

I've sent you several invitations. One to Dante's and four to a private supper. If you're inclined to accept them, please accept the private supper invitations first, as it will raise making waves, and increase the benefit i get from inviting you to dante's

by the by, when does your Time, the Healer hit? mine comes by sometime monday afternoons kansas time

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  27. UrsaTempest

Afternoon Sunday, GMT+7.

28. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

UrsaTempest feel free to send me requests for social things or ask for help with nightmares/scandal. i don't want to feel like i'm abusing your willingness to be social.

Also do you have a preference for how often i send you things?

29. UrsaTempest

Nah, I managed it just fine! ...at least for now. I heard it get harder as PoSI, though. It's just I'm currently grinding, so I rarely draw opportunity cards, including social-based ones.

Hmm, no preference? Unless someone else send me an invite too, anyway.

30. mkire

mkire Lee-ko is adorable

does it take a candlemark from you to accept an invitation to something?

Also, have you been eating your second chances for the boost they offer?