1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction tracker

Discussion in 'General' started by klassekatze, Nov 22, 2015.

1. klassekatze

klassekatze Experienced.

So I've tentatively designed a fanfiction tracking site. I'm using it personally but I'm not satisfied with the state of it. I also feel like I'm a lot less likely to miss something obvious it ought to be able to do if I ask other people. I figured QQ was a good place to start since SB and SV have a lot more activity (and do a lot more than just story content), whereas QQ is a slow enough pace I don't have to fear the topic sliding off the first page within a day.

Essentially, the problem that drives me is I read too many stories. Even with threadmarks, as I understand it, you at best get what you get on, say, fanfiction.net: an email per update. I wanted a way to easily track an enormous number of stories even on non-standard sites like SB, SV, QQ, blogs, etc, and be able to see the word count I have yet to to read. Thus, I don't have to eyeball my clogged email for stories or quests with eleventy billion 300 word updates.

But showing is probably better than telling.

http://imgur.com/a/Ehmnb

Story index links are de-duplicated and polled every four hours. Supported sites with logins (like this one) are logged into as required. The site login itself is currently using Google accounts, and I'm thinking of expanding it to a couple other openid providers such as twitter,github,spotify,dropbox,etc. I'd like to avoid having a user/pass login specific to the site because who really wants more logins to keep track of for something so niche.

My current goals if I ever finish this project:
    Ability to import favorites, collections, etc from other sites
    Ability to create arbitrary numbers of lists, which may be public (which means listed in a public index of lists for anyone to easily find; all lists are accessible if you hand out the link)
    Ideally, a mechanism for letting people submit stories to a list, whereupon the list owner can confirm or reject them.

Stories would be able to have author name added where service is unable to auto-magically detect it, and story descriptions as well (appended to legit description if available.)

Find a better name for it

Under the hood it uses a combination of CSS selectors from a database and loaded up blobs of code for troublesome sites like fanfiction.net (by which I mean, doesn't have a section of the html containing a convenient list of links).

So. Does anyone see any problems with this, or anything I haven't thought of and really should, and so on?

silentshot, doomlord9 and CptTagon like this.
  2. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Interesting. I'll ponder this more.

silentshot likes this.