1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Feng Shui RPG

Discussion in 'General' started by Tiktog, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Tiktog

Tiktog Experienced.

If you're here you're probably a fan of the Hong Kong Action movie genre, if you were just curious that's what this is. An RPG system meant to simulate fast cinematic battles like you'd see in Kill Bill, Hard Boiled, Black Mask or Enter the dragon. It's a simple system compared to most. Choose an archetype and you're ready to play. Quick rundown, players are part of time travelling factions looking to control the world by owning Feng shui sites. There are minor ones you could conceivably make at home. Or major ones. Areas that grant you incredible but subtle control of the world around you. Most players are part of the dragons, A ragtag bunch of heroes who try to keep the various factions from messing stuff up too bad.

Anyways if any of you are familiar with it I have a game soon I'm getting ready for. The basic set up is that it's chinese new years and a major feng shui site in China is about to come up for grabs. This site unlike most others is based on a confluence of events and every faction is trying to get their hands on it as it would allow them a major advantage in the chi war. I'd love to hear any ideas you have for what this story could have.

I'm willing to answer any questions about Feng Shui in general if you want to know more about the setting, system or factions.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  2. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I don’t know the Feng Shui ruleset (not the setting), but I know a bit about Torg: Eternity, Liminal, and Legends of the Wulin. Torg is all about “action movie rules” which are fueled by a universal energy; the game is a setting mashup. Liminal is a very, very British urban fantasy rpg which has magic replenishment/boost resources like those Feng Shui sites. Legends of the Wulin is a Xianxia setting with duel-focused cinematic combat (while still having… intricate support for other forms of play).

Time travel stories are a snarl I haven’t messed with before. What time period are the heroes currently operating in? What leftover messes are relevant have been this time period since the last time this site was taken over? I’m just not sure how to make the most of all the elements in the setting to make more than a series of fights. You know those stories about D&D characters attacking a villain during a monologue? Well… how do you answer stuff like that for Feng Shui (without flashbacks or James Bond-gets-captured scenarios through DM handwaving)?

For anyone running a game in Feng Shui, scroll down to “The main problem I had…” in this article.

3. Tiktog

Tiktog Experienced.

Well actual bosses have high speed stats making them (usually) go first. It works on a kind of counting system. So say boss goes on 20 boss goes on every third shot after that. So, boss then goes on seventeen, then 14 (which is usually when players start getting their turns.) The heroes will start out in the modern day and it takes a lot to derail time. It's pretty self correcting. It's also a oneshot at this moment so any prior messes have been resolved.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  4. AkumaOuja

AkumaOuja I trust you know where the happy button is?

Feng Shui is a pretty great setting, legit one of the best I've seen in a TTRPG, and the sourcebooks have fantastic flavor.

5. Tiktog

Tiktog Experienced.

Have you seen Feng shui 2? The jammers fucked up the future. They blew up all the chi.