1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

For The Honor Of The Regiment (Worm/Bolo crossover)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by mp3.1415player, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Index: The beginning...
    mp3.1415player

mp3.1415player Getting sticky.

The fanfiction I write is entirely for fun, with no commercial use implied, intended, or permitted. All original copyright holder’s rights are acknowledged.

More specifically, as a basic, non-exhaustive disclaimer for main line or omake story elements currently used to date:

Worm is the property of Wildbow.
    The BOLO universe is the property of Keith Laumer and others.

Basically, if you recognize it from a movie, comic, book, or other published work, it’s owned by the rightsholders for that work. Anything else is my fault.

Reader contributed Omakes may incorporate other elements not listed above, and are otherwise © their respective authors. And much thanks is due to those authors for adding to my and your enjoyment!

Does anyone even read these? Does anyone even care about these?

This introduction may change as time goes on, as I will answer common questions and address issues here, as well as announce the status of the story should it change. Check here first if you have any queries. I can't promise that you will always find an answer, but I'll try :)

At the suggestion of a few friends, I thought I'd post some of my stories here, to spread them around the internet a little further :) This is also posted in a number of other places, notably Sufficient Velocity where I tend to spend most of my time, but hopefully will amuse a few more readers who might not have come across it. If you don't care for it, that's fine too, we all have different likes and dislikes!

This started some years ago as one of a number of ideas I had when I was thinking about Worm fics. I wrote the first chapter, looked at it, thought 'This has promise, but it's not quite what I'm interested in right now,' and put it to one side. Eventually I found something that was what I was interested in right then and ran with it, and am now nearly two million words into that particular story :) I lifted a few ideas out of it for my other story so that worked out nicely and wasn't a waste of time. Even though I had no intention to continue it at that point, I did write out some notes for further chapters while I was thinking about it.

I ended up posting the first chapter in my random snippets thread on Sufficient Velocity and a couple of other places, where I got a fair number of people urging me to continue it. A couple of years passed, then one day the muse struck and struck hard, causing more chapters to be emitted. As a result, it now seems to be an active story, although updating it is rather random. If I had to guess I'd say it's got a couple of hundred thousand words in it but I've been wrong before, often in the much longer direction, so we'll have to see what happens...

Note that a working understanding of Worm is assumed. A working knowledge of Keith Laumer's BOLO universe is probably helpful, but with luck not entirely necessary.

As always, I will say the following, my standard boilerplate for a story:

I'm always open to corrections, typo spotting, math error checking, and all sorts of things like that, and I like hearing ideas about the way things could go and suggestions for interesting scenes. Or even simply discussing the story. Make a good point and I will probably use it in one way or the other if I agree with it.

On the other hand I will ignore demands to change parts of the story to fit your particular likes. This is not in any way meant to be rude, but the first rule of fanfiction is the same as the first rule of life, which is:

It's entirely impossible to please everyone at the same time with anything.

Trying to do so is an exercise in frustration for all involved and therefore pointless. I would rather concentrate on writing the story rather than arguing about how to write the story, especially as that is a zero-sum game in the first place.

Bear in mind that this is an alternative universe, which means that some of the canon powersets may work in slightly different ways if it made it more convenient for the story. Most are meant to be more or less unchanged, though, so it's not impossible I made a mistake. If you aren't sure, don't worry about asking for clarification, I don't mind at all. I respond well to polite questions and genuine interest in why something happened the way it did.

With that out of the way, onwards and upwards! The Concordiat demands it!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018