1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Forgotten password/non-functional email catch-22

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by TortugaGreen, Jul 8, 2022.

1. TortugaGreen

TortugaGreen Know what you're doing yet?

I've just recently found myself in something of a no-win situation that makes my ability to use QQ somewhat tenuous.

I didn't write down my password for this site, instead relying on the feature that keeps a user logged in with the remember me button to access the site. I decided to rectify this today and discovered that the email I use isn't actually functional for password resets because it goes through Microsoft - and I can't change the email because I need my password to do that! To somehow further compound this mess, on the password reset screen I noticed a banner saying that abandoning an account and making a new one will get me banned for sockpuppeting, so I can't just make a new, non-catch-22'd account, at least not safely.

Barring some kind of intervention, my options are, as best I can tell:
    -continue relying on "remember me" until the one device I'm signed in on finally gives out, at which point I'm back at square one
    -abandon having a QQ account ever again, with the loss of access to much of the site that implies
    Or
    -create a new account in violation of the rules on another device, hoping that y'all don't notice/mind.

As none of these are particularly great options, I'd appreciate it if I could get some kind of help with this.

2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Or~

You could ask the admins like ultima333 and alethiophile for help with your e-mail/password being changed.

wasprider likes this.
  3. TortugaGreen

TortugaGreen Know what you're doing yet?

I suppose I should, huh. Didn't super want to poke any specific person when I didn't know who specifically should be poked (and I saw similar threads in here so figured it was better than guessing), so thanks for resolving that at least.

4. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

PM me, and I can set your E-mail to whatever you want. At that point you should be able to do a password reset.