1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

How would a Multiversal Traveler go about gettting these things?

Discussion in 'General' started by MasterG, Aug 3, 2016.

1. MasterG

MasterG Making the rounds.

If a multiversal Traveler wants to build a Multiversal Scientific Institute, what universes would you suggest to get the following assets?

1) Easy to get Nanotechnology
    2) Easy to get Magical Powers aka not spells but the ability to do magic in and of itself.
    3) Easy to get Cloning Tech
    4) Easy to get Mind Control Tech, Artifacts or Spells
    5) Easy to get method to transfer both the soul and the conscience into a new body
    6)Scientific Geniuses in their fields
    7) A Device or Artifact capable of containing a magical liquid without corrupting it or changing it in any way. If you need more info, basically a device or artifact capable of containing the Water from the "Pool of Eternal Life" in the "Rickipedia; The Mummy" universe so that it can be studied later
    8) Tech or Artifacts that amplify Psychic power
    9) Easy to get tech that allows for the quickconstruction of buildings and space stations
    10) Tech or Magic that allows for themanipulation of someone's soul
    11) Stealth Tech
    12)Tech capable of storing massive amounts of data

2. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Define "easy to get". I mean, in the Mass Effect 'verse it's very easy to obtain mind-control devices since essentially all Reaper artifacts have indoctrination fields. But you're going to have difficulties reverse-engineering that tech and making it work for you, particularly since it'll try to indoctrinate you while you're trying.

That said...

1) Iji probably takes the cake here.
    2) Any fantasy universe wherein anyone can learn magic; in D&D, for example, anyone can theoretically learn to be a wizard or cleric.
    3) There's quite a few. Trek, Alpha Centauri, Red Alert, Schlock...
    4) Possibly Ghost in the Shell as far as tech goes, or maybe Sword Art Online. D&D has Charm Person as a first-level spell, although Dominate Person is fifth-level; World of Darkness and Harry Potter both have easy mind-control magic, but getting magic access is difficult in those 'verses. It does tend to be a bit rare, because mass mind control is such a broken power that stories don't tend to last very long with it in play.
    5) Hmm, I can't actually think of one off-hand besides Avatar, and it's extremely expensive in-universe.
    6) Any 'verse with science in it, really. Monster Girl Quest's Promestein is one of the more egregious mega-geniuses around (she canonically invented all of modern science from first principles IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF RATS!)
    7) No idea.
    8) X-Com had a fair bit. Both original and remake.
    9) Well, it's not precisely easy to get, but Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander have Von Neumann machines.
    10) Different 'verses have completely different ideas of what souls are and what can even in theory be done with them; crossing over here doesn't work very well. As such, I don't think I can really give you any answer that would necessarily work in a crossover.
    11) Stealth against what? That's really the question, and again since all 'verses have different detection methods I'm not sure I can give a meaningful general answer for this one.
    12) RL. Very few fictional universes outstrip RL in this regard.

3. MasterG

13) Easy to get Tech, Artifacts, Abilites and/Or Spells that create/act as a mind shield, shielding a person from mind control and telepathy.
    14) Easy to get Tech, Artifacts, Materials and/or Spells that block out psychic abilites from a psychic race.
    If you need to know what kind of race I need this for its to create something capable of blocking the abilities of a Brain Bug from "Starship Troopers" so that It can be studied and used in order to improve another beings own psychic abilites

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  4. MasterG

Thank you for the help, you've been very helpful.
    Got anything on points 13 and 14?

5. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Taalo Shield from Star Control II is one of the more well-known.

6. MasterG

How would you go about getting it? Take into account that I dont know anything about Star Control II, hell I didnt even know of its existence.
    Also how much do you know about the XCom remake? I might need your help if you have a great knowledge. This knowledge doesnt need to be about everything, just about Valenn.

7. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

It's on a planet in the Vulpeculae star cluster. Though, now that I think of it, the Star Control universe is one of the more dangerous for a dimension-hopper, as knowing too much about how to travel between planes in said universe has... unpleasant results.

So, on second thought, you might want to look somewhere else. Necron Pylons from 40K are impressive, but they're also not very mobile and are fairly specific to how psychic phenomena work in 40K. Not sure what else fits.

I haven't actually played the remake of X-Com.

8. MasterG

But do you know of any materials that would stop psychic powers? Basically im trying to contain an innate psychic ability, while still making it so that scientists can study it.
    Do you know anything that fits this description?

9. MasterG

Also any easier methods of getting 3), by easier I mean easier ones to research(for me to research), like movies or tv series/games without a giant universe (Im refering to the amount of spinoffs/seasons/sequels)?
    Also any examples lf things like 12) in RL?
    And when I say easy to get I mean like for example "Pop into the Big Hero 6 verse and steal one of the garbage cans full of microbots" stuff like that or easy ways to get things, not for example "Its easy just jump into the Culture/Orion's Arm Universe and trade other tech or ask for citizenship"

10. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is only kinda vaguely defined, so you'd be making up a fair bit but there's not a lot to read. Schlock is easy to read, since it's a webcomic... it's just LONG. As in, it's been going daily for sixteen years.
    Modern hard drives are in the terabytes. The full text of Wikipedia is in the hundreds of gigabytes, IIRC. The sum of human knowledge on something smaller than a hardcover book is pretty fucking amazing when you think about it.
    That's why I said Iji for the nanotech. Most of the others I don't know of any universes where they're that easy to get.

11. MasterG

I dont know anything about Iji except for a read through the wiki, but supposedly the MC gets nanites from a team of scientists. How would you even steal them from Iji?

12. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

At the end of the story Earth is in ruins and there's a whole pile of Tasen and Komato corpses and wreckage just lying around. As well as all the records and details the Tasen brought with them. And Iji nanotech is known to be easy to reverse-engineer; a group of four people got it working properly in under half a year while in hiding, and commented on how comprehensible it was. And their notes are just sitting around as well, because they're all dead (except Dan, maybe).

13. MasterG

Could you tell me what the Null Driver is? I'm seeing mentions of how it gives Iji spatial powers but cant really find what it is

14. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

In-game, it's a secret weapon (extremely secret; it's a hidden area within the secret sector that requires unlocking everything) that causes weird data-corruption-like effects (backgrounds get replaced with other backgrounds, including cutscene images; objects, including enemies get randomly morphed into other objects).

I asked Daniel Remar himself about it a few years back, so here's an explanation of what it canonically is from the horse's mouth.

Unlike nanotech in general, it would therefore be extremely difficult to get your hands on the Null Driver (the glitched prototype or the working copy).

15. MasterG

Do the Tasen and Komato have any traits spefic to their race that would be useful to study?

16. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Not particularly, but every single Tasen and Komato has a Nanofield, and part of the Nanofield persists after death and can be looted from corpses.

Hence, since there are several million Tasen and a smaller number of Komato corpses scattered over the planet and very few/none of them left to protest, I would class their nanotech as "easy to get".

17. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

The problem with these sorts of magics is that they are based around the local physics. D&D magic for example works basically by pushing the right levers and making the universe bend to fulfil your desire. If you are in a universe that doesn't have these levers, you would be screwed. Clerics would have it easier and worse at the same time. It would always be the question of whether you can keep your gods favor and whether they can reach the particular reality you have visited.