1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

I need advice on what to do under a really shitty situation I'm having

Discussion in 'General' started by Mistodon, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Threadmarks: Beginning
    Mistodon

Mistodon Invading the city of Alexandria

EDIT: Called the cops, mom's coming back in a few days, crisis over.

Okay, so hypothetically, let's say you are a manchild in your early twenties that relies on your mother for everything, you don't know how to pay bills, manage your bank account, and you don't have a job. You are lazy and depressed.

Your mother doesn't have a good relationship with your neighbors, or her own birth family, and you don't know if she still has a good relationship with her friends, you also don't know their phone numbers or their names. You're certain she has made more than a few enemies in recent years, she has become stressed to the point that shouting and insulting those she thinks are trying to scam her have become natural responses though she may not always do this.

You don't even remember your father's name and you never asked.

She doesn't bring her phone with her because she thinks that people are tracking her through it. You forgot her previous car's license plate number, you did not think to remember her current car's license plate number. You never thought to ask where she bought it. You do not know your father's phone number, you do not know if he is still alive or if he would help you, you think he is disappointed in you for how stupid you are.

You live in Asia, she left sometime after 11:30 AM and you haven't seen her for 16+ hours, and it's past 5 AM. She didn't mention anything about being gone for this long when she left. This has happened before when she was gone for five days or so, and that was back when you were still in high school, when you could at least turn to your teacher for help. You don't know if any of your teachers would help you now that you are an adult, you don't even remember their names. When she came back, you didn't ask where she went first thing, so she doesn't tell you, possibly as a joke, even when you bring it up later.

She has become paranoid of other people, when you ask that she stick to crowded areas she says she does the opposite, you do not think to suggest that she carry a knife. You do not think to ask if you have an emergency contact, mostly because you do not want to bring up her possible death. You went to various independent art or piano classes a few years ago, you can remember a few of that are close enough to walk to, you weren't their
    best student, you left most of them on bad terms except for the piano class, you don't know if they would help you.

You don't know if she'll come back like last time or if something happened to her. Your afraid to type in her name to see if there's any news about her, but after searching/skimming through the first 3 pages of the results for "accidents" implying car accidents, you haven't seen anything involving dead older women. you don't want to search for murder. You ended up doing so any way, first few pages, nothing to do with your mother, yet.

You haven't eaten since that small dinner you had at 5 PM. You find one banknote worth at least one pizza. You have maybe enough rice and you know how to clean and maybe cook it. You don't know how to cook anything else and you're scared of knives. It rained today.

The police are familiar with her, you know this from when they came to you for questions, but most likely do not like her either. When you first told your home room teacher about your situation he told you to wait a day before he called the police, so you did. They said they needed her license plate number and her phone number the, you do not know the former, the latter is irrelevant now, because you have it. You are afraid to call them now that you're older, you are afraid of how they would treat you.

You can't find the keys to your apartment, you don't know where to look, and the door is difficult to open from the outside because of the door knob's outer casing being loose, you would always stay inside and let her in, so this wasn't that much of a problem.

You're no longer a child, You can't take care of yourself, you don't know what to do, you don't want to be cast out into the streets, you could also be freaking out over nothing.

You want to sleep.

You can't sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I know I made that sound like a story but it's what I'm going through right now.

Should I just call the cops? What do I do?

I live in South Korea

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Snake/Eater likes this.
  2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

There is no shame in calling the cops to ask for help.

That_baka2, ZenithOfLust and wellis like this.
  3. Mistodon

What do I do after that though? I feel like I should do something but... just live off of rice and rationed pizza until she comes back or I'm given the bad news?

I'll wait for more suggestions before calling the cops.

Thank you for your advice.

She's had some bad run-ins with the police though, she's not a criminal or anything unless insulting people because you think they're spying on you and fucking with you is a crime.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  4. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Ask their family anyway for help.

I'm asian, and no matter how I (we?) dislike our black sheep, we'll still help 'em. Especially in dire situation like this.

5. Mistodon

...I'm confused, the police officer's family members?

Also, I've never called the police in my entire life, I get that I should report that my mother never came back yesterday, that she has no phone, and that I don't remember the license plate to her newer car. But what else should I say? The address to my apartment? Where she got her car from?(which I don't know)

What do people usually say when calling the police, would appreciate it if you dealt with south korean police officers as well.

6. wellis

wellis Well worn.

Your mother's family members I assume.

7. Mistodon

If you're talking about coming into contact with my mother's through the police than you can forget it, her mother and siblings fucked her out of grandpa's inheritance. Grandma's dead now, but Uncle actually came to our apartment years ago to talk about it and wrestled mom to the ground, I just hid under a bed. I don't even know if aunt is safe, I don't think she likes us either, but there was this one time that I think mom had a friendly talk over the phone.

I don't even know how my dad's folks will take it.

8. wellis

wellis Well worn.

Do you know your relatives' phone numbers so you can ask them directly over the phone?

9. Mistodon

The phone has a phone book but I don't even know my relatives names, none of them. There's one that has the same family name as mom's but I'm afraid that might be somebody else.

10. UrsaTempest

Try it anyway. What have you got to lose?
    Or call police, too.

wellis likes this.
  11. Mistodon

To reiterate what I said, is there anything else I should report other than my mom's disappearance, that I have her phone, and that I don't know her newer car's license plate number. Previous experience with South Korean police would be nice, though I'll take what I can get.

This would be the first time I can remember calling the police on purpose.

12. Biigoh

I.... I honestly don't know what to say beyond trying to contact your relatives on your mom's side or calling the police to ask for help.

That_baka2 likes this.
  13. UrsaTempest

Don't mention you get the idea by asking random stranger on internet, I guess?

But sure, that seems good enough.

14. Mistodon

Yes, but I'm also asking what I assume to be much more experienced individuals on what I should say to the cops so that I don't get a panic attack when I can't tell him my social security number or something.

Also my Uncle is horrible. Still not sure about my aunt though.
    Would it really be that easy? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm actively avoiding talking to them but as far as I know, they know who my mom is, and not in the good way.

A bit nervous right now, sorry. three people already came and I'm not sure if I should wait a bit more calling. But if the best option really is just calling the cops right now I'll do it.

15. Biigoh

To be honest the situation you're in is absilutely terrifying to me from the outside.

wellis likes this.
  16. Mistodon

It's not any better on the inside, either. Just be proud you're not an idiot like I am.

17. wellis

wellis Well worn.

You don't carry any identification on you?

18. Mistodon

Lazy man-child that lets his mom do the hard work, I don't even know where the document that its typed on is, mom said it was stolen at one point but I don't know if she was talking about mine or hers. They can't just look it up or something?

Would I be correct in assuming nobody here so far has made an emergency report or anything to the police, seeing as nobodies mentioned it?

I've got my mom's phone in front of me, if anyone would like to say anything before I make a call I'd appreciate it. Also my Korean isn't that great, though it's good enough to talk to other people, so this'll be fun.

EDIT: Calling now.

19. wellis

wellis Well worn.

Well in my case, it's just something that never came up. I've never been in such a situation that required me to call the police.

They probably have your identification somewhere if you tell them your name. The police I mean.

20. Mistodon

I did it.

Not sure why they'd send an officer to where I live though, I don't even remember what she was wearing other than a black skirt.

EDIT: They expected me to know my mother's social security number, as well as mine.
    Don't really feel like I accomplished much, but my mother is not going to be happy I let
    them in and rifle through our stuff. I'm also pretty sure they think I'm mentally disabled.

21. Biigoh

At least they believe you and are trying to help. Let us know what happens?

22. Mistodon

Sure, whole thing kind of felt demeaning actually, just listing off what I don't know, I think I found her social security number after they left, still couldn't find a more recent picture of her though. Now I'm wondering if I should bother them by calling it in or they'll look it up on their own.

23. Biigoh

Don't bother them... Unless you're one hundred percent sure.

Mind you... Your mom is liable to get in trouble with the police due to the call... But its better that the police know that she isn't home... And is effectively missing

24. Mistodon

주민등록번호. Yup, right there.

EDIT: They didn't need me at all.

25. wellis

wellis Well worn.

So what happened? How did it go?

26. Mistodon

Tried to tell him I found the numbers, guy told me not to worry and that they'll take care of it.

You know I feel a lot calmer now than when I was waiting for mom at 3 in the morning, weird.

EDIT: The cops called, they found her and told me she had business she had to take care of that's going to keep her out of the house for a few days. Why she didn't tell me this in the first place I don't know, I may have been a bit sleep addled at the time but I'm pretty sure I remember her making no mention of this. At least now I can ask if I have an emergency contact when she gets back. False alarm guys, sorry for bothering you and thank you for your concerns.

This is going to end up growing into a boy who cried wolf situation isn't it?

ZenithOfLust, mizzet and wellis like this.
  27. wellis

wellis Well worn.

Frankly she should give you emergency contacts for situations like this. Do you have them?

28. Mistodon

I don't know if I do? But there we go, it's over.

29. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Nah, it's alright.

Still, you may want to think about learning to take care of yourself better in the future, if only so that you know how to take care of yourself.

Mistodon and wellis like this.
  30. Biigoh

It is not. It's a legit issue you found yourself in...

Mistodon and wellis like this.