1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

In Flight ch. 38 is up.

Discussion in 'General' started by Vindictus, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

Just thought I'd let people know.

2. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Good to know.

So is a new Glorious Shotgun Princess.

3. Dinya

Dinya Know what you're doing yet?

That's two fanfics that managed to bore me out of my mind.

In actually interesting news, there was an Overlady update roughly a day ago. Through the SB lag bars the way, ATM, of course.

4. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

I am glad IF updated, but I am pissed he way the author keeps using cliffhangers. Its annoying. End a chapter with some closure for once!

5. Torgamous

Torgamous Official Matsu

Yeah, you're not getting that this chapter.

6. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

We're lucky to get closure when the story ends with Gabriel, unfortunately.

Still, the writing is epic.

7. Creticus

Creticus Know what you're doing yet?

I suppose in the same sense as Pope, sure.

8. Creticus

Creticus Know what you're doing yet?

Edit:

Double post.

9. enthalpy

enthalpy 大幻梦森罗万象狂气断罪眼!

The more In Flight drags on, the less I find myself willing to read it. It's kind of like From Fake Dreams - it had an interesting idea, but any merit that idea had has since been lost in the execution. At this point, the story just keeps dragging on and on with no clear end in sight, and while Gabriel Blessing's writing is certainly above average, it is hardly amazing, and it's not enough for me to actually bother to read new chapters at this point. I read his other stuff because they had direction. At this point, it seems like In Flight is just wandering around aimlessly without any clear destination.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  10. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

I was expecting and HOPING that Takumi would say "and that idiot wanted me to pass on this message, I have no idea what he means... but... why not show off why you earned that sealing designation." in that meaning... also IF is kind of disappointing at this point.

11. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

Ch. 39 is up.

Lot of tension, but nothing of note.

12. EnderofWorlds

EnderofWorlds Versed in the lewd.

Ch. 39: And the disappointment continues...

13. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

I dunno. I quite enjoyed it. I was giggling the whole way through.

14. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

I usually save new In Flight chapters for when I'm in bed and can't get to sleep.
    Works like a charm.

15. Jiven

Chapter 40.

After the disappointment of the precedent chapter, this one is better.

I am not sure how much better, but better alright.

16. Biigoh

That writer's note... so much hate

17. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

That chapter to me, made the fic unreadable.

I see no way this work can be salvaged.

18. Carrnage

Carrnage Well worn.

Oddly he called tokiomi's move of selling sakura to zouken "well played" despite the fact that zouken violated their agreement and sakura never learning magecraft.

19. Jiven

He said Tokiomi would call it "well played", and Tokiomi never learnt the consequences of his actions.

20. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

But he still used those consequences to justify his view of Tokiomi's character.

21. Jiven

*shrug* Or the point is not the exact consequences, but that Tokiomi would be able to make horrific decisions ?

22. Biigoh

The problem is that Tokiomi knew jack and squat of what Zouken wanted. In fact, HAD he known what GB states he knew, he wouldn't do it because it was EXACTLY what happened to Sakura that he was trying to prevent.

23. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Well, maybe, but he's still misrepresenting the situation.
    Tokiomi basically wanted both of his daughters to grow up to be sociopaths willing to kill each other over a magical ritual, because he thought that would be great for them.
    That's plenty of reason to despise him, but by misrepresenting Tokiomi's motivation, as was done here, key aspects of his character are ignored.

He thinks being a magus is the best thing that a person can expect from life and, while he might even have considered the horrifying things Sakura went through worth it for her to become the Matou heir (which we can't say for sure because Kariya sucks at explaining things), to him being the Matou heir includes being ultimately happier than in any other path he could have chosen for Sakura, because he could not imagine that Sakura wanted anything other from life than being a magus and any claims otherwise don't matter because they could only come from non-magi, who obviously can't begin to understand why being a magus is so much preferable to not being one.
    He expected that ultimately even Sakura would agree that this was a good decision.

Had he known that Sakura didn't actually become the Matou heir but was instead turned into a tool for Zouken, he would never have agreed.

24. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Well, that chapter finally managed to shatter whatever interest I had left in it. I'll be sure to post quite the scathing comment on his forums tonight, but detailed and long enough that it can,t be called flaming.

25. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

Am I the only one who likes the story so far and looks forward towards further chapters?

26. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

I like it, though I haven't read the two latest chapters yet.

27. Jans

Jans That which smiles.

I enjoy it quite a bit. Though that may be because I don't read the author's notes.

28. enthalpy

enthalpy 大幻梦森罗万象狂气断罪眼!

I dropped In Flight a few chapters ago, when it became rather clear that the author didn't really have any clear direction for the story as a whole. I think I've mentioned it before, but at the beginning, it seemed like In Flight was going somewhere, and that gabriel blessing had some clear idea of how he wanted to end the story.

His shorter works don't really suffer from this problem, but it seems that he's simply not as skilled at writing longer stories. Looking at the evidence, Hill of Swords had a relatively abrupt (and rather unsatisfying) ending, whereas his shorter stories (like the two Bakemonogatari crosses) fit together much better as a whole. In Flight is a much longer work than Hill of Swords, and it seems that the flaws that were inherent in HoS have been amplified. That's not to say that it doesn't have its merits, but, at this point, the few redeeming qualities that it does have are, by and large, outweighed by the negative aspects.

If I had to compare it to something, I'd probably say that gabriel blessing's works are kind of like mixed drinks. Think about something like a vodka and cranberry or a screwdriver. If you forget to mix it properly, then, the first half or so is fairly pleasant, and then when you get to the bottom, it gradually gets worse and worse until finally you're basically just drinking vodka with a little bit of sugar mixed in.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  29. Biigoh

Based on his writer note, it's possible that the next chapter is the "end"

30. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

The main problem I have with it is how much it murders the characters' actual characterization and Nasuverse physics, but let's be honest.
    It's a crossover and Nasuverse physics are a mess.
    Both of those I am willing to ignore because, as long as I detach myself from canon first, it's actually readable, if you have some time to waste.
    What really annoys me, though, is how self-satisfied some of the ANs sound, especially about exactly those things.
    And then, of course, there's all the stuff that can be only described as filler.