1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Insecurities & Hurdles

Discussion in 'General' started by Weisser Ritter, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Weisser Ritter

Weisser Ritter Smug anime swordsman

A topic about your insecurities and hurdles in life and proposing how you could be more confident or do better.

Let's make a game out of this. You post an insecurity and/or hurdle about yourself and the next person who wants to post has to give some (constructive) advice to the person above. Then they get to post one about themselves.

EDIT: An addendum, if you feel like it you can also quote a previous post besides the one above just in case you really feel like it's necessary to comment on it. I'm not restricting anyone in that aspect.

Normies without life issues get out reeeeeee, etc.

An example:
    Seems pretty simple, right? No? Well, no worries, just try it out.

I'll start:

I find it pretty hard to control myself in a conversation. I'm kind of like Greg from Worm in that I babble and say stupid shit without thinking it through, and very often those comments are out of line and make me look bad.

2. shaderic

shaderic An ordinary cat?

Stupid-stupid, use profanity in a professional environment stupid, superstitious stupid, political stupid, or socially-awkward stupid?

3. Weisser Ritter

Weisser Ritter Smug anime swordsman

I've used profanity and probably the social awkwardness as well at times yeah.

giodan likes this.
  4. bospaladin

bospaladin Versed in the lewd.

Care less what other people think. That or if you say something that sounds weird play it off as a joke.

5. SoulofaGremlin

SoulofaGremlin Typing...

I don’t think this addresses the heart of the issue though. I think some introspection is in order. For instance, you should ask yourself “Where is this coming from?” and “Why do I think/believe this?”

Also, I’ve never really read Worm but if this “social awkwardness and profanity” manifests as outbursts at specific people
    than I think communication would be key. Just be upfront about any disagreement before it can morp from awkward one liners to a full on fight.

6. Fleischer

Fleischer Know what you're doing yet?

I'm not normal, but having been depressed for over 20 years, I don't imagine there's anything anybody here could tell me that I haven't already heard.

Sounds like what you need is to think more and react less. To that end, look up "mindfulness". Practicing mindfulness can develop the skill of detaching from one's stream of consciousness and observing it calmly, without getting overcome by the urge to act on or react to any particular thought or feeling.

7. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

I am an Aspie that has a father that was part of the National Guard, a mom that was self-employed then school aide then teacher, and an annoying brother who -during his teen years- couldn't decide on what part of the political spectrum he was on... on top of having a creepy psychologist (who once entered our house without my parents at home, my brother and I brought out the baseball bats when that happened), a school district that was at best indifferent towards someone like me, and an intense dislike for politics in general.

My insecurities and hurdles are legion...

8. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

I... have a particularly nasty quirk that I have kept private for over a decade: Whenever I get stressed, I become upset, unhinged, and/or angry. The worse the stress, the worse I get upset, unhinged, and/or angry... then there is the times I get a 'stress induced breakdown', where it can look like I'm suicidal to a trained child psychiatrist even though he knew that it wasn't in my nature. I've spent a few weeks/months in a mental hospital after my parents messy divorce because of one such breakdown.

I also don't do angry well, as my little brother and my dad can attest as they've seen me when I'm genuinely angry (and they'll tell you, it's fucking scary).