1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Issei the Gaming Pathfinder (High School DxD/The Gamer/Mythology/????)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Xamusel, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Xamusel

Xamusel Currently a Gamma-11 on FFN

2. Threadmarks: Achievements
    Xamusel

*Reserved for the Achievements you guys might earn*

Sol Mark-1 and Walkir like this.
  3. Threadmarks: Level 0 Post 1
    Xamusel

Level 0: How the Sekiryutei became a Gamer

Issei Hyoudou was walking to Kuoh Academy from his house in a state of euphoria. This was his first day going to a school that was formerly an all-girls institution, and he was going to fulfil his dreams of being a Harem King, all because of his promise to the one who made his dream come to life in the first place. If the old man was incapable of getting freed soon, then Issei would be the one to fulfil the ambition, the true nature of—

Welcome to the Game, Pathfinder

Issei stopped in mid-step, his euphoria replaced by confusion. The box that appeared in front of him in mid-air… how did it get there? Was he dreaming right at that moment? He pinched himself really hard… three times. “Ouch… this is legit,” he said out loud. Seeing an arrow pointing to the right on the box, he hesitantly moved his right index finger to touch it.

Would you like to view the tutorial? Y/N?

Issei pondered that in his head for a few seconds. ‘Do I, or do I not?’ he thought. ‘On the one hand, I could get by with not seeing what this tutorial has to say. On the other hand, assuming I have to do something later that was easily explained in the middle of this tutorial, I’d probably be in deep shit for not knowing what to do.’

Eventually, he decided…

1. He'd view the tutorial
    2. He'd skip the tutorial

P.S.: Depending on what choice you guys pick right off, you'll get an achievement before the Level (what I'm thematically calling the chapters) gets out. This is just a friendly heads up, everyone.

4. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

[X] Skip it, tutorials are for other people.

5. Xamusel

Okay, I'll give this thread until later tomorrow before I close the voting on the first story post, at the least. I'd make a reply right now, but that wouldn't be right, not in my book. Besides... I need to get my sleep sometime.

6. Walkir

Walkir Super Happy Awesome Fun Time On Vacation

[X] View the tutorial.

I give people shit often enough for not reading the manual, no excuse to make the same mistkae.

Least Devotee likes this.
  7. Xamusel

Oh, right, on a note that I forgot to mention sooner... just because there's four different slots for party members on the gDoc doesn't mean that only four people will be party members of Issei's parties regardless. Make of that what you will.

8. Maragas

Maragas Versed in the lewd.

[X] View the tutorial

9. Xamusel

Okay, so I managed to finish transcribing the different types of character sheets Issei and whoever else will be able to use, even if they're currently blank right now. I still need to determine who is in what party and so on... or you guys can vote on that in-thread later.

...*ahem* In any case, still need to do the Gamer-style statuses, so I'll be busy doing that when I get the chance. Besides, as it stands, there's no skills that are usable by you guys in terms of The Gamer just yet. Granted, if you choose the Tutorial, you might get some decent skills... but at what cost in-story?

Also on my to-do list is make the items that are unique to this story, then I have to come up with creating unique skills eventually, plus start filling in the complete bestiary and completed quests. Of course, the last one is not applicable just yet, given the situation.

10. Least Devotee

Least Devotee Experienced.

[X] View the tutorial.

11. kaciw

kaciw Getting sticky.

[X] View the tutorial

12. touhou ranfuku

touhou ranfuku Versed in the lewd.

You might want to change the Choices into bracket type like this:
    [] He'd view the tutorial
    [] He's skip the tutorial

So people can be lazier and just type X into the bracket instead of deleting.

[X] He'd view the tutorial.

13. Xamusel

Ah, right, thanks for the advice, touhou ranfuku. Sadly, it's been a while since I actually did a quest where I was the Quest Master... so I'll keep that in mind starting with the next round of voting.

Speaking of voting, I didn't mean to cut the voting short by a day, but I'm going to have to call this round of voting to a close. I'll have the next post of this chapter up in due time. Therefore, viewing the tutorial wins, guys.

14. Threadmarks: Level 0 Post 2
    Xamusel

Eventually, he decided that he’d view the tutorial, especially since he didn’t want to be in over his head. With a press of the “Yes” option, he started looking over the tutorial in full.

Lesson Zero-Zero: The Most Important Details

Before we get to the tutorial, please keep in mind that only you can see the effects of your power, at least for the time being. You can see other peoples’ levels and stats as The Gamer, but anyone with special powers will only see your power in their perspective, so, if you were to talk with someone about your power, you’d have to be ready to do some serious explaining about game mechanics and how they fit into your power as a whole. That isn’t to say that you don’t have a separate power, it’s just sleeping right now, biding its time before it has to wake up.

Issei blinked a few times, the confusion coming back to him. He had more than one power? How did he get these powers to begin with, then?

Oh, before you do anything rash with your powers, keep in mind that your Gamer ability can and will be nerfed for a time if you do something incredibly stupid. The embodiment of Mother Earth gave you the Gamer ability for an incredibly good reason, so don’t make her regret it, alright? As for how you got these powers, one you were born with, while the Gamer ability was gifted to you just today.

Issei nodded blankly at the screen in front of him. He didn’t know how he could be born with an ability that he couldn’t use just yet, but his being gifted a power by Mother Earth was just… well, odd. Why him? Why not someone who actually was a gaming nut and could figure out this sort of thing more easily than him?

Meanwhile, a South Korean in his capital city sneezed, wondering who was talking about him.

Back with Issei, he had just finished processing all he had read from Lesson Zero of the tutorial when he noticed another arrow on his screen in front of him. He pressed it to see what it did.

Lesson Zero-One: Skills

Skills as determined by your baseline ability are typically everyday actions that you do. To further elaborate on the use of skills as determined by your baseline Gamer ability, focus your attention on an object in front of you, and observe it.

Issei looked around for an object to observe, as per his instructions. Strangely enough, he didn’t see anyone else around him on the road to school… what was that about?

Eventually, he was about to give up when he remembered something. He could…

[] Observe his backpack
    [] Observe a tree that was a few feet from his location

Alright, to make sure you guys understand, the different observation targets have different effects on the story. Choose one, you'll be able to get Issei to class on time. Choose the other, you'll see Issei get chewed out by Sona.

15. the DragonBard

the DragonBard Creator of Worlds

[x] Observe his backpack

16. Xamusel

Okay... going to give this time to possibly gain more votes. I'd say about the end of the week at most?

17. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

[X] Observe a tree that was a few feet from his location

The backpack seems like it could be observed anytime easy, might as well check out the object that we are unlikely to ever pay attention to again instead. That way if it secretly has some treasure or something it it we will find it now.

18. touhou ranfuku

Which likely would cost more time and Issei's later for school.
    I know this might sound rude but can you somehow make the update longer? Like 1000 words? There's so little action or plot advance in the update and it makes me feel like 'yeah this gonna take a long time until the characters do something's worthy to look at.'

[X] Observe his backpack

19. Xamusel

I'm honestly grateful you considered that consequence. However, I'll be perfectly honest in that there's something in the area, which is not in the backpack (supposing that people still wish to choose the backpack at this time). However, it does not quite mean it's treasure, since it could easily mean a tutorial enemy (or quest... the kind you'd find in a video game).

Nah, I know it's not rude, since you explained your reasoning for it. I'll do what I can to update longer, even if I can't quite guarantee it, since I have things I need to do sometimes.

20. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

Or we could wait and observe the backpack when Issei doesn't have any time constraints. I specifically said it could be observed any time, not we can observe it right after we observe the other thing.

21. Walkir

[X] Observe his backpack

22. Xamusel

Okay... I have a winner so far, but I don't know whether or not the vote is closed this early (simply because I'd prefer to close the votes by a minimum of a 4 vote lead). If you guys think I should close the vote now and apply a different way of determining the result as a trial run, please tell me. Just note that I don't plan to take away votes, and that doing so would be detrimental to the system I have in mind, for your information.

...so, here's the planned method I have in mind. You guys vote on updates, I give it time to go through, I close the vote after a minimum of 24 hours, and I roll a die (with a modifier on it) to determine which result it goes to. The modifier would be based on the total number of voters since the previous update... which, in this case, is 4. The option with the most votes is given a better score to beat than the option(s) with less votes... with unvoted options having an impossible score.

Sound good?

Xamusel rolled 1 die of 20 faces, total: 12+4 = 16
    For: Observe his backpack
    Rolled on: November-05-2015, 08:46am

Xamusel rolled 1 die of 20 faces, total: 2+4 = 6
    For: Observe a nearby tree
    Rolled on: November-05-2015, 08:47am

EDIT: ...wait. How did both of them win? My math needs some work, doesn't it?

Oh well, the backpack result will have to wait a while (though it won't be forgotten).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  23. Walkir

No. Why should I vote if its only a dice modifier?

24. Xamusel

...ouch. Okay, never mind that idea, then.

...now what do I do with the content that I had written up based on the idea that I had come up with in my previous post?

25. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

I think it is an idea that can be good, but it would be more of a specialized voting kind of thing. For example, if we had 3 quests that Issei was going to do for sure, and the vote was for which to focus on then using votes as a dice modifier for the quests could work out well. On the other hand, if we are voting on what to do at all it kind of leaves people feeling like their vote doesn't really matter, because dice determine everything anyway.

Walkir likes this.
  26. Xamusel

Is that... so? Well, that works better than how I initially wanted to do it, thankfully.

So, just as clarification, I wrote almost 1k in words for the next update under the assumption that the tree would be the first to be Observed. Do you guys want me to...

[] Rewrite the update to be about the backpack (will take more time than option 2)
    [] Stick with the tree as most of the content of the update by the end of this (is less voter compliant than option 1)
    [] Write-in

27. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

[X] Rewrite the update to be about the backpack (will take more time than option 2)

Given that I can't see any way that the tree won I don't see why you wrote about that first. Of course you could have Issei observe both if you wanted, and just have him observe the backpack first. That way what you wrote would still be used, you would just need to reorder it is all.

28. Walkir

[X] Rewrite the update to be about the backpack (will take more time than option 2)

29. touhou ranfuku

30. Xamusel

Alright, you guys, before I fully rewrite the update, I need an opinion. When the backpack is done being observed, do you guys want to...

[] Observe the tree
    [] Go straight to the school

This will determine how much time I need to post the update this time around.

*EDIT*: Scratch that. I'll rewrite the whole thing to be about the backpack only. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015