1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

It Gets Worse [Worm AU Fanfic] Complete

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Ack, Dec 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

As has been established, it doesn't.

Someone who's doing something that might harm her can be deflected into doing it a different way that doesn't harm her. Someone who's trying to harm her can't be deflected as easily, so they need to be dissuaded. Piggot already had an idea of her power, so a bug down the throat and a flickering light were all that was needed to deflect her from two courses of action that Taylor's power considered sub-optimal. Coil required a flooding base, an electrocution, a broken collarbone, an exploding base, and nine anvils in very close proximity before he got the message.

In Piggot's case, her power merely had to do the equivalent of clearing its throat meaningfully. In Calvert's case, it had to shout.

And in all cases, the funnier the better.

Nope. But it did set several things into action the moment it manifested. So the longer she gets around, the more elaborate the effects.
    Yes. (see above)

2. godzillahomer

godzillahomer Know what you're doing yet?

this fic inspires so many questions in me

wonder what her cape name would be?

Luck based like Tyche?
    Reference to her power like Domino?

3. Edward Becerra

Edward Becerra Know what you're doing yet?

Fate.

As in "Fate is about to jack your shit up, friend."

Chase92 and Alayne like this.
  4. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

I guess I'm just uncertain what the practical difference is between what you're describing and what I'm saying. In what scenario does proportional retaliation predict a different result?

5. Nightgazer

Nightgazer Cute Lil' Pegasus Gone for Good

Fate only does that when she's moody because she doesn't get enough "alone" time with Nanoha.^_^

6. godzillahomer

or Karma, works very well if she joins the Undersiders somehow (Karma is a Bitch)

Chase92 and doomlord9 like this.
  7. DuskAtDawn

DuskAtDawn Of the Thousand Faces

While Karma is a really good name for Taylor, for Taylor to even get a cape name she'd have to be publicly recognized as a cape. Which would probably put her or her father in danger, so her power would likely prevent it. Piggot's codename, Butterfly, will have to do for now.

8. godzillahomer

I'm seeing it now

Name: Butterfly
    Threat Ranking: S++
    If Encountered: Run for the hills, unless you're Sleeper (even then, running is strongly suggested)

9. legiodamnatus

legiodamnatus I trust you know where the happy button is?

If she were to get an official ranking it would be something like

Threat Ranking: N/A
    If Encountered: Buy the kid some ice cream and send her on her way. She's not a threat to you unless you're a threat to her. Don't be that threat.

Cubbyhb1, Hypervane, GW_Yoda and 11 others like this.
  10. godzillahomer

If Encountered: Buy the kid some ice cream and send her on her way. She's not a threat to you unless you're a threat to her. Don't be that threat. You can't take her. That means you Jack Slash.

FTFY

11. abyssmal_kismet

abyssmal_kismet Experienced.

"Meh, I can-"
    And it was at that moment that a small meteorite impacted the ground directly in front of him.
    "-not take her."

12. Tranquil Zebra

Tranquil Zebra Equid of Peerless Tranquility

I've got a quick one for Ack here:
    Is 'The Devils Own Luck', as I like to think if it, Manton limited? In many cases, the most efficient way of 'dissuading' hostile action is a tiny little embolism or bleed in the brain, and suddenly the guy is pining for the fjords...

Would the answer spoil any future developments? Would answering that in the positive spoil anything? On second thought, you should probably just tell me that 'We'll see...' and strike an ominous pose at whichever desk you prefer.

13. Ack

Is a brain embolism funny?

Probably not.

Therefore, her power is much more likely to use external means. This also raises the chance of conflict.

14. Ack

"Meh, I can -"

WHOOM

As the echoes died away, Bonesaw looked at the small crater where Jack Slash had been standing.

She shook her head. "You had to say it."

15. godzillahomer

I hope Jack Slash does a Sideshow Bob and has issues with garden rakes, gets knocked out by one and gets captured by the PRT. And it's all caught on camera and streamed online live.

16. firethorn

firethorn Making the rounds.

Kill order. He's down, they're simply shooting him lots.

17. Chojomeka

Chojomeka Sexy and I know it

No Jack meets the end that beats all ends

18. firethorn

Jack Slash gets to experience Bonesaw's care as accident after accident almost takes him out, sort of like what he did with her family. No time for painkillers!

19. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Honestly I'd expect Jack Slash to never really matter, her power is noted to go for minimal force to get results, the minimal application here is stopping Jack Slash from ever deciding to go to Brockton Bay in the first place. Whether that's nudging things slightly to influence his decisions or even making other places more attractive targets to them it's likely that it focuses on keeping them from ever deciding to visit at all as actually dealing with them if they're after them would be trickier than just keeping them wandering around the rest of the country.

blind-conductor, Ack, Richael and 3 others like this.
  20. firethorn

I'd say its more proportional response than minimal.

blind-conductor and Ack like this.
  21. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

The top post of the current page is literally the author explaining that it's not a proportional response and does attempt to minimise things, and also maximise humour at the same time.

22. Keanu Reeves

Keanu Reeves Hellblazer

Since when has that ever stopped people from being idiots?

23. firethorn

Missed that post somehow. The problem I have is that coil was dissuded long before the anvils.

Also, maximum humor is going overboard with Jack.

24. godzillahomer

Bonesaw isn't able to attack Brockton Bay...

She's busy because she discovered Pandemic 2 (or 2.5 if she's playing on a phone) and is trying to win

Bonesaw: Damn you, Madagascar!!!

Jack Slash: *something about attacking Brockton Bay, can't think of a good line for him*

Bonesaw: Too busy, trying to wipe out the human race...

Jack Slash: *Tearing up* I'm so proud! Kids grow up so fast! One day they're ripping out their first spleen, the next they're trying to kill the whole world!

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  25. Ack

Note that Jack Slash might actually decide to visit Brockton Bay anyway, given that his power gives him pointers on how to sidestep the powers of someone he's dealing with right at the moment, as opposed to long-term planning.

I think Skylab's about due to deorbit ...

26. godzillahomer

I doubt he can sidestep her power for long

eventually it'll try an attack so large it can't be avoided by him, like...

Jack's Shard: Lef- Rig- Ba- For... You're boned. I told you shouldn't have came here, but you never listen to me! That's it, I'm leaving you and moving back in with daddy!

27. EJH

EJH Know what you're doing yet?

You mean Western Australia didn't experience a sudden spell of steel rain in 1979 in this universe? ;)

28. Ack

Hmm, point.

L33t's latest blunder accidentally teleports a choice selection of Bakuda's bombs to Jack's current location.

"Whoops."

29. legiodamnatus

legiodamnatus I trust you know where the happy button is?

And then Leet gets the bounty on Jack and whoever else he catches in the blast. He blows a bunch of money on booze and vintage video games and blacks out with Uber for a few days. When he wakes up, he's surrounded by working(!) tech that he built while under the influence.

Meanwhile, his shard is off relaxing after that amazing~ session it had, and thinking to itself, 'maybe I could go easier on him for a while'.

Leet then makes a life changing discovery. He's not a one shot tinker at all. No, he's a Drunken Science Tinker! With this new knowledge (and a shard that's happy he's finally letting loose) he goes on an epic video game themed construction spree the likes of which the world has never seen, and likely will never see again. Unfortunately, during a rehearsal for the promotion of Portal 2, something goes wrong when the portals intersect, sucking another of Bakuda's bombs into an opening to a planet full of weird fleshy growths. They manage to shut the rift down before the bomb blows, and forget about the whole thing.

Coincidentally, at that very moment, Scion disappears while rescuing a kitten that had found itself in a tree.

Taylor's Shard adjusts it's reflective glasses and mutters, "Halping..."

So ends the tale of Worm, not with a bang (well actually, with a small bang) but with a near silent 'pop'.

30. godzillahomer

speaking seriously, I think one of her glass bombs would be an excellent weapon against Crawler

Alayne likes this.