1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

It's So Bad It's Good: The Terrible S**t You Love

Discussion in 'General' started by Psyckosama, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

We all know the old saying, it's so bad it's good. There's media out there that's poorly written, poorly done, and ill-conceived but at the same time we just love anyways despite its flaws, or something because of them.

For me, one of those is the Super Mario Brothers Movie.

The plot is half-baked. The writing is terrible. And it has fuck all to do with Super Mario Brothers... yet I love the aesthetics and feel. It is a colorful, grungy, dystopian fever dream written by the same people who did Max Headroom and you can tell.

In many ways it's Little Timmy's First Cyberpunk Hellscape.

The amount of effort that went into getting the look and feel right is apparently. They put a lot of energy into that piece of shit.

So, how about you?

Remegar, Zanfib, Kalem_Lee and 4 others like this.
  2. Daytripper

Daytripper Connoisseur.

A.P.E

[​IMG]

Silverbladestar likes this.
  3. Brian Boru

Brian Boru Experienced.

Battleship for me.

It's a dreadfully generic movie trying to cash in on the Bayformer craze. I've only watched the movie maybe once or twice in total, but I've watched this scene more times than I can count.

FUCK YEAH!

AkumaOuja, Arielus, Remegar and 3 others like this.
  4. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

To be fair the only plot they really had to work with was 'big lizard kidnaps the Princess and these plumbers have to go save her'.

Plus the effects weren't all that bad for the time. Yoshi was fucking adorable.

5. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

I'll go one farther, the special effects were, for the time, state of the art.

First movie to use digital composting and it had CG dinosaurs a month before Jurassic Park ;)

cliffc999 likes this.
  6. Nitramy

Nitramy Captain Quattro, YOU wa CHAR

"I am the Wind", the original ED theme of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

More cheese than a cheese fondue but it still tugs at the heartstrings. Helps that the singer also sang "Snake Eater".

AkumaOuja and Vorian like this.
  7. ShogunTrooper

ShogunTrooper Launching Bees out of a Trebuchet

I love the movie Reign of Fire.

True, it's a B-Movie with a premise that's cheesy as all hell (basically England after an apocalypse caused by, of all things, Dragons), and some of the stuff in it, like the whole helicopter tactic, make no sense, but the actors clearly gave it their all, the CG aged remarkably gracefully all things considered, being from 2002, and it gave us a shirtless Matthew McConaughey as an american dragonslayer.

However, since that movie is still good, from a certain point of view, there is one I like that is unironically garbage, and I still enjoy it:
    Far Cry, starring Til Schweiger and Ralf Moeller.

Maybe it's because some of the flaws aren't as apparent in the German translation, as voice acting can cover quite a few blemishes, maybe it's because I watched it before I played any Far Cry game period, maybe it's because I treat it like a campy, standalone action movie, not a video game adaptation, but I couldn't put my finger on why I like it exactly.

8. me-meboi

me-meboi I regret everything

Eh, might as well confess.

Uganda's a shithole. No question on that. Real hell.

But there is a glint of light somewhere in the overwhelming darkness of ignorance and oceans of bloodshed there.

Isaac Motherfucking Goeffrey Godrey Nabwana, an entirely self taught director, in less than the past 12 or so years has, with the help of his slum village of Wakaliga, produced no less than 40 movies.

I have only seen only 2 versions of them. They're some of the best movies I've seen, no joke.

'Who Killed Captian Alex' (2010) and 'Bad Black' (2016 or '19?) are just legit hilarity that makes me burst in laughter no matter how many times I see them. Full length available to watch on youtube or you could order CD's on their website 'Wakaliwood.com'.

I.G.G Nabwana, Alan Ssali Hofmanis and the Wakaligans are awesome.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  9. Gawain

Gawain Down Bad for RPK16

The Room. Enough said

ShadowStepper1300 and Nitramy like this.
  10. Repentant_Dragos

Repentant_Dragos Versed in the lewd.

My Immortal.

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  11. Reaver97

Reaver97 Getting sticky.

Has anyone else seen attack of the killer tomatos?

A movie so stupid it's funny

searcher8 likes this.
  12. Treble

Treble Connoisseur.

Date A Live. It may be another run of the mill harem story, with a villain I have nothing but utter contempt for, but it also has many heartfelt moments and great characters. That they're not exactly deep nor well written does not make them any less endearing.

Also, it's got great soundtracks and animation, and a MC I actually kinda like. Which is surprising since he barely has a personality.

13. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Versed in the lewd.

Summoning a meme?

The Chad DIRECTOR Issac Goeffrey Godrey Nabwana.
    The Virgin Hollywood 'Directors'.

Why? Issac's movies have something theirs lack. Life. Spirit and BLOOD. You can feel that THEY LOVED EACH SECOND of that.

14. me-meboi

me-meboi I regret everything

That and VJ Emmie.

meloa789 and Lightbringer like this.
  15. Arielus

Arielus Not too sore, are you?

Kinda nice to see that someone else liked reign of fire and battleship
    Some of the last movies I watched back when I still sat down and watched shit before my eyes went nope and I couldn't get a decent set of glasses for like 7 years
    Might start watching stuff again now since i got both a new laptop and glasses
    I'm gonna check out some of this stuff at some point

16. DavidMswdlvr2

DavidMswdlvr2 RWBY fan seeks digivice & gunscythe

Pixels, if only due to the premise and the insane cover of We Will Rock You.

17. meloa789

meloa789 Versed in the lewd.

The sequel for "Who Killed Captain Alex?" is also in making, so we are going to see more of that awesomeness?

me-meboi likes this.
  18. Whitesnake Pelinal

Whitesnake Pelinal Like a dream without a dreamer

Legend of Lemnear.

It's all one chain of escalating sword&sorcery battles, briefly interrupted by titties and/or the bad guys talking about how bad they are. The protagonist has a prophesied power, so does the big bad, who pauses their climactic final battle to explain how lonely and sad he was as a child being banished to the forest for having .. demon blood? Or something. Then the boy she's there to rescue shows his true power and they fight the big bad together.

At the end, evil is destroyed and the age if light begins. Literally. The old mage announces "evil is destroyed, the age of light begins" and the heroine flies off on her dragon with her new BF.

19. fluxoid

fluxoid Now I am become hunger, destroyer of snacks.

It's been so long I actually had to go and look up the title, but "Nemesis 2: Nebula".

Yes it was direct-to-video crap.

It's only worth watching with friends, and mostly for the eye-candy. OTOH said eye-candy, consisting mainly of bodybuilder Sue Price in (and occasionally out-of) a sort-of Mad Max inspired amazon costume, was a massive contributing factor in the road-to-Damascus moment when I realized that no matter how much I liked guys, or what I told my parents, I could not get away will telling myself that I was entirely straight.

I haven't seen it in over 20 years, I don't remember the plot, but I don't think I will ever forget those legs*...

* And other things I shan't mention as this thread is the SFW section.

Vorian likes this.
  20. Soupervan

Soupervan Making the rounds.

The Source AKA The Surge, a movie from 2001. Good premise- there's a rock that some teens figure out how to use to get high/gain a psychic power each.

The acting especially of the main villainess and her henchman is so terrible it's campy and it was the first movie that got me interested in cinematography- not a serious interest but a hobby to read and watch about occasionally. It started from me noticing the shadows of the boom sticks and such.

fluxoid likes this.
  21. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

NGL I would happily let her snu snu me to death.

fluxoid likes this.
  22. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

To go a step father on the SMB movie, they converted an entire abandoned factory into a single giant mega set. Several interior acres of filthy neon set with spray foam painted to look like clinging fungus.

23. ShogunTrooper

ShogunTrooper Launching Bees out of a Trebuchet

I've developed a guilty pleasure for reading the "Character x Reader" and "Character Imagines" posts on Tumblr, and I don't mean the smut ones, I mean the non-sexual ones. The ones about interactions, trauma, and especially fluff.

I know they are terrible, and the amount of grammar errors and typos makes me cringe, but I can't help but feel a strange fascination reading them, especially since quite a few tend to cater to very, very niche tastes that you rarely see, like "RWBY Characters with an openly affectionate S/O", "Verosika Mayday with a platonic friend Reader", "What is it like to cuddle with Rayla", and so on, and so forth. Stuff so niche you would never find it in an actual Fanfic.

Even if I had the whole day, I couldn't to you explain why I keep doing it, and yet, somehow, they draw me in again and again. They keep bringing a smirk to my face even though I know the vast majority of them are objectively garbage.

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.