1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Journal Quest

Discussion in 'Questing' started by shaderic, May 27, 2013.

1. shaderic

shaderic An ordinary cat?

Alright.

You know what I've learned since last time?

Running games with hard numbers and stats isn't my cup of tea. Also, the more I dug in to my understanding of military tactics and equipment, the less I realise that I have any idea of what works best. I can grasp basic theory and doctrines (combined arms, logistics, and geurilla combat), but more advanced ones like battlefield tactics and scaling are kind of beyond me.

Also, the fact that I was flip-flopping between throwing Terumi or V2s at you. Then realising that I can't do Terumi all that well, and I fucking hate V2s.

Seriously, fuck V2s.

Which brings me to my latest experiment.

I kind of wanted a break from usual quest second person POV (the tenses get annoying), and my third person is mediocre at best. Then I read some interesting stuff done in a interactive journal format, and while that has it's own constraints, I figure it'll let me do more casual updates.

Rather than doing proper voting, whenever you post in the thread 'I' will see it in the journal. From there, you can influence
    'me' and 'my' actions, give advice, and whatever else you can think of doing with words/images on a page. This'll probably detract from immersion on your end a little bit, but hopefully things will still be interesting.

With that said, let's see where this bizarre little meta thing goes.

Journal Quest

And all the pages are blank in this one too...

Huh? There's some words here now. Didn't notice that before.

'And all the pages are blank', wait a second. Wasn't I just thinking that a second ago?

Hold it.

Hold everything.

This thing is recording my thoughts. Well, ones that I'm verbalizing anyway. That's bizarre.

Well, not like everything else here isn't, but this is at least a lower level of 'What the Fuck'.

Seriously, I like libraries, but this place is ridiculous. This shelf has to be at least a few dozen stories high, and it's packed with stuff. I mean, there's a lot of books, but there's these weird jars with things floating in them, plants growing through the shelf, and the various other weird doo-dads and shinies laying around.

And it just doesn't end.

I can't see beyond them. As far as I can tell, these shelves might as well go on forever.

Whatever this place is, it's terrifyingly huge.

I'd probably be a little more in awe of the place though, and a little less borderline scared out of my wits if I had any idea how I got here. Or if I had seen anybody else. Or if I wasn't getting hungy, or thirsty.

2. Vauron

Vauron Faded Shadow

Well, I knew a guy who ate paper, so if you are getting particularly hungry, perhaps you could try that.

No matter what, Don't Panic.

Perhaps if you yell load enough someone will hear you.

3. shaderic

4. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

I'd suggest trying to explore the place, maybe try checking if some of the doo dads or shinies do anything. Be careful though, some of them might not be as benovelent as this journal.

5. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Try eating something from those jars.
    I bet it'll totally give you superpowers.

6. Liam-don

Liam-don Fondly Regard Creation.

Call for the librarian.

7. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

[X] Burn it all down. Everything burns.

8. Inara Seraph

Inara Seraph Know what you're doing yet?

Secure food and drink.

All this other shit is pointless if you die of thirst or hunger.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again.

Don't panic. It's the most useful advice there is for someone in your position.

9. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

If this is anything like I think it is, call the Librarian. If you don't you'll probably die. Also, on the off chance the librarian is some form of ape don't call it a monkey.

ooc: have some images
    [​IMG]
    [img width=424 height=600]http://danbooru.donmai.us/data/sample/sample-1933145594df023923a402da8cb49215.jpg[/img]
    [img width=429 height=600]http://danbooru.donmai.us/data/sample/sample-ab833f198419e95bd8382d3f9ab1212d.jpg[/img]
    [img width=423 height=600]http://danbooru.donmai.us/data/f879dbbeec866b4587c8e1c0c9b826c9.jpg[/img]

10. shaderic

So, this book is sentient. And has MPD, judging from the different handwriting styles.

Or at least is capable of spoofing somewhat intelligent sounding responses.

Somewhat.

Maybe.

OK, so it's probably just crazy.

Attention funny book, showing me URLs does not show me pictures. If this were a computer with internet, maybe you'd have something. Or possibly they'd all be 403 errors. It's not like I know those are valid addresses anyway.

Moving past that, some of you little fragmentary things are capable of rational thought. Panicking doesn't do me any good, and survival neccesitates things like food and water. Once we get past the basics, then I can start thinking about other worrying concepts, like how the lack of any real day/night cycle is probably already fucking up my internal clock.

Or how the lack of sound, apart from the whoosh of the breeze coming through the shelves is kinda creeping me out.

Wait a second. There's a breeze. That implies a pressure differential. I'm no expert on weather, but I do know quite a few little survival tactics. This place is enclosed (I can see the ceiling, but there's still enough ambient light in here for it to be pretty bright. No idea where the light's coming from through), so any breeze has got to be coming from outside.

What 'outside' is in this case, I have no idea. But it's better than wandering about aimlessly.

Maybe on the way there, I'll find this librarian you keep talking/scribing/whatever about.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  11. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

What? You don't think that suddenly waking up in an enormous library with now memory of how or why you got here is in the least suspicious?

The place is obviously evil. Burning it is the only really sane thing to do.

But since you apparently don't enjoy sanity, here's a different idea- Follow the breeze. Getting out of here is probably a good idea, although the sanity is debatable at best.

12. shaderic

Yes.

Let's set fire to the books. Ignoring the inherent question of with what, and assume I succeeded. Let's also ignore how I actually like books, and consider burning them to be a very bad thing.

I'm surrounded by all these burnable things, funny things in jars that may or may not explode when heated up, and wooden shelving. Inside a (very, very large) building.

If the flames and burning debris didn't kill me, the resulting asphyxiatin probably would.

13. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

>Ignoring the inherent question of with what

Obviously, you'd burn them with fire.

:D

14. Random832

Random832 Making the rounds.

Now, why would you assume that, rather than that it is a communication device that is connecting you to more than one person.

Especially since if you're drawn from the usual pool of candidates for such things, you've probably read about plenty of other people who had that happen. Hoofbeats, think horses, and all that.

EDIT: hey, I'm the 100th viewer apparently.

15. shaderic

Allow me to elaborate.

I don't carry a lighter. Or a book of matches. Or flint and steel.

And while I do know of a couple of other ways to start fires, they require significant time and effort. Also, I've never reallt gotten them to work properly. Friction bows are hard to make right.

Well, I haven't really had any evidence to suggest I'm communicating with people, rather than the book, now have I?

Plus, apart from the spacing, there's no names attached to the words or any other useful way to differentiate between different speakers/communicators/personalities/AIs.

What's this about the 'usual candidates', though? And what do hooves have to do with anything?

16. Inara Seraph

Inara Seraph Know what you're doing yet?

Another piece of advice:

Don't trust the journal.

We only want to be entertained.

Following the breeze seems as sane a course of action as anything else. You hardly know anything, so whatever gives you more information about where you are and why is good.

Dance, puppet.

17. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Don't listen to that one!
    He's crazy!
    And evil!
    We obviously only want your best.
    Now start eating the content of random jars already.

18. Tackyseven

Tackyseven I trust you know where the happy button is?

Remember people if we want the entertainment to continue we have to keep him alive and arguably healthy so play nice!

what do you call yourself journal holder?

19. Malcolmo

The follow the breaze idea sounds like it could work.

Also if you wish to know this entity/personality/whichever term you wish to use calls itself Malcolmo.
    Guys you may wish to introduce yourselves.

20. Tackyseven

Of course where are my manners?

You can call me Seven

21. Random832

Random832 Making the rounds.

What kind of evidence would you accept?

So... you're not from Spacebattles? About half a year ago there were a bunch of incidents of people ending up in various fictional universes with a journal that connected to a forum thread on there. Or, at least, fiction with that as a premise. You yourself may be fictional; I haven't really had any evidence to suggest otherwise, to be honest.

It's an old saying - like, if you hear hoofbeats, you should assume there are horses, and not zebras. At least, in North America and outside of a zoo.

Anyway, I'm Random832 - I'm not going to sign my name to everything, but if what you're saying about us each having different handwriting works out you should be able to tell.

22. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

[img height=480 width=600]http://blog.farwestclimatecontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/aurora-borealis-northern-lights_1280x1024_159-standard.jpg[/img]

Do not adjust your book.

This is perfectly normal.

There is a simple truth involved here with what you're reading in this journal.

What if we had ideas that could think for themselves?

What if one day our dreams and nightmares no longer needed us?

When these things occur and are held to be true, the time will be upon us. The Time of Tanuki.

~ A tanuki what goes auuu in the night.

But seriously, keep walking calmly into the wind~

23. Ardion Prosili

Ardion Prosili Lover of Horned Women

Bii, the fuck are you doing? Acting like the big shot that you are not will frighten the lad. :/

24. Malcolmo

And this is why the tanuki should not be given sake. :p

25. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

what it comes down to is this:
    [img width=480 height=600]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3504/3705196162_a6a8b2c771_z.jpg?zz=1[/img]
    you are likely trapped in a world not your own, which over here is some type of fiction. Wherever you are likely has rules you don't understand, and your only current lifeline is a forum of random people some of whom take entertainment from your struggles. However, at least some of them (arguably most of them) want to see you survive, so listen to the more sensible advice.
    -R.A.G.

26. Tackyseven

What R.A.G. writes pretty much sums it up.

If I where you, witch I am not I would listen to R.A.G. he seems to honestly want to help you figure this out/survive but that's just me

27. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Considering that they only want you to survive, so you can go through more "interesting" experiences, and will likely tailor their advice to make such events more likely, you might actually be better off following the advice that ends it quickly.
    - Pipeman

28. Tackyseven

You are included in "they" right pipeman?

-Seven

29. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

I think I made it rather clear what sort of advice you can expect from me.
    - Pipeman

30. Tackyseven

that's what I figured

Perfectly valid hypothesis

If you don't believe him eat it and prove him wrong