1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets Play - Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by Heaven Canceler, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Threadmarks: Opening
    Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

[​IMG]

Hello everyone, dear readers and fans of Pokemon and Touhou to this game of Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version! Maybe some of you have seen my attempt at a Pokemon Let’s Play in the form of that one Pokemon Zeta round over on Sufficient Velocity. Or maybe you have seen me otherwise somewhere. Or maybe I am a total nobody to you, regardless of which is true, welcome to this little thing. This game was originally going to play by standard Nuzlocke rules, but then it turned out that I am kind of failing really badly. You will probably find out soon how that happened if you keep reading. Still, I decided to keep following the whole "Only Catch the 1st Per Route" rule because it makes things more interesting.

Though I will keep one veto for myself. Mostly because if I run into a Koishi I will probably catch it regardless of whether it is the first one I see. Because I don’t know why but I really like that particular Touhou lady.^^

Now then let us begin this wonderful journey and leave common sense behind!

[​IMG]

Professor Oak welcomes us into the world of Pok… eh Monsekai as seen above. He explains that he was once a researcher of Pokemon, but now he also studies Puppets. We get a short info on the controls before moving on. This is then followed by a nice picture of a Marill as the example of a Pokemon and

[​IMG]

That… Well that looks awesome! I am not sure who that is, one of Alice’s dolls, or maybe that knife wielding girl from the PC98 games that is one of the inhabitants of the place Alice came from? Regardless, that looks really cool.

We continue in the introduction and I don’t want to bore you with that so let's move to the character choice!

[​IMG]

We get to be either Maribel Hearn…

[​IMG]

Or Renko Usami. And damn, that is a nice hat to be honest. Right, I was originally going to chose Maribel when I saw her, but that hat changed my opinion so Renko it is!

We move on to something new, backstory for this game! We get to see Red in his home, listening to a television report on a invasive species that is slowly taking over the ecosystem. Before we can hear the name of these mysterious humanoid creatures, Red moves to what I think is a phone on the wall and the display goes dark as a click sound pops up.

Act 00: The Invaders

A nice catchy tune starts up and we switch to what I think is Pallet Town and Professor Oak’s laboratory where he and Red meetup.

[​IMG]

There we hear this, a unexpected thing has happened. Pokemon are, if not dying out, at least no longer the big guys in the house. Kanto, Johto and Hoenn is now the domain of the strange beings. It continues with a backstory told by Professor Oak himself. Yes, two years ago he went to the Cave Origins with an expedition and that was how they found them. They thought they were a new Pokemon species at first, but their tests proved them to something entirely different. While they shared general characteristics with them, they were far from the same. And thus they named them Puppets.

After Oak took three Puppets with him home, Pokemon all over Kanto started mysteriously vanishing, being replaced by these puppets. Worse, the Pokemon that remained were further pushed back by fights against and between these Puppets. Oak gives his condolences about the entire thing to Red, for him having to live in this new and strange world where things are different. (What the heck? Did Red live in a cave or something for the last two years or what that he didn’t hear of it until now?) At least Oak’s grandson Green seems to be doing well and using this as a chance to… I dunno research them maybe?

Oak explains that the remaining Pokemon have gone into hiding in their personal homes or even abandoning their old estates entirely. And… there is a Pokemon preservation project on Kikoto continent with Blue working to help with it? Wait, does that mean Oak has two grandsons, or was Blue ret-conned out of Grandson-ity here? I am confused…

Oak smiles and notes that oh my, this one Puppet seems to have taken a shine to Red. He tells Red that he has the same look as when he first got a Pokemon from him. He becomes all grandfatherly and tells him that he can always be a trainer as long as he is willing to adapt.

And then a loud scream for help pops up and the tiny Reimu goes out to check it out. Red quickly follows! Adventure awaits!

[​IMG]

Oh it is me and Maribel! We are being attacked by a mysterious Touhoumon... Puppet… oh whatever! I will just call them whatever I want. A fight starts, the display shakes as the two creatures battle each other. Yes, it is an epic battle! But superior skill and the power of plot succeed and Red’s new partner win the fight and the enemy flees.

Oak then reprimands me and Maribel for being out in the grass without protection. Which makes sense, as @spencer1519 once said, the grass here is filled with murder beasts that rip physics a new one. Just you know, they are now humanoid and adorable in a different way than before.

We apologize and tell him that we have no clue where we are. Oh and one of us says that she got really fired up from the fight? I will assume that is me! Then Red’s mum appears to also add her piece to the talk. You wonder why I know it is Red’s mum? Because Oak calls her that… I will just assume that is her actual name or something.

Oak asks her to take care of us until this whole thing is sorted out. Red seems a little annoyed by the prospect. But when his mother says we can use his room he really twitches and jumps into the air!

Scene Break into Red’s house and we are explaining that we ended up in another world when trying to find Gensokyo. We have also no clue how to get home, much less find the Eastern Wonderland…. so if Gensokyo exists in this story… I assume this whole mess is Yukari’s fault unless shown otherwise.

After a bit of talking me and Maribel decide to become Touhoumon trainers so that we can search the land for clues on how to get home without getting eaten by Chibi-Killer-Girls. Oak promises to let us chose our mons tomorrow and asks Red to teach us the basics of how to be a trainer. Red goes out to brood for a bit at that and we get told to not worry since he is kinda broken bullshit and can take care of himself. Not in these words, but that is the truth and we all know it.

Me, as in Renko goes out to have a talk with Red. He isn’t the most talkative, but we manage to get an understanding I think. Though it is mostly Renko just gushing about how awesome Red is… wait is my avatar in this game a fangirl?

[​IMG]

The cat came back!

My fearless self hides behind Red at the killer-girls appearance like the helpless little damsel she is… god I fear we have a long way to being a badass, don’t we? Fortunately it just seems that the cat-girl is now a fangirl of Red’s Reimu and wants to be friends. I apologize for acting the way I do. Red, incapable of resisting the incredible cuteness that is Renko ruffles her hair.

[​IMG]

“It’s.. n... not like I like you or anything.. ba…ba... baka!”

Hah, the shipping starts right now!

[​IMG]

It is a new morning and the perfect time to begin our adventure! Yes, me and Merry decide to go and check whether Oak has our Puppets ready. But before that I check that Computer next to our beds and.. jup there is a potion inside! The classics mustn’t be forgotten. I go downstairs while checking every nook and cranny for hidden items like a good RPG character. Sadly, nothing there. Not even the TV giving me some nonsensical show about travelling with Touhoumon.

And I check the mailbox outside… okay it is mine and Maribel’s house…. wtf! The villagers managed to build a house within at most a few hours. It is even a nice house. It has a kitchen, a two TVs that we will likely never use. Beds, two entire shelves filled with books! How rich are these guys… oh and I found out you can toggle running with the S button but who cares.

I run around town, find the SCIENCE guy who repeats what he always says before wondering if he didn’t do the same some 10 years ago. Alright, oh and there is an old lady who gives me unlimited Potions since she is out of stock with everything else. Sure, no antidote but infinite Potions are a nice replacement. I take two before deciding it is likely a bug and leaving this be.

I move to Oak’s lab and meet Maribel again. Oak welcomes us and starts his explanation. Red has a Chibi Reimu and Chibi Chen. Alright, I thought so but wasn’t sure if there were other catgirls in Touhou. He says that almost all Touhoumon start in Chibi form and evolve into different forms from there. Then the professor tells us that we need to choose our first Touhoumon from the two set of 3 starters he has. Though it is 5 since Red already got Reimu. We get to choose from Marisa, Sakuya, Alice, Reisen and Sanae.

I check and… huh we actually can take Reimu. Apparently Oak has more than 1 of them.

[​IMG]

And holy shit these girls are adorable. I am so going to get diabetes from these… I cannot decide they are all too cute. Argh… I will take the rabbit that is only good for her sex appeal. A nickname now… ehhh… okay I will name her Coco! I have no clue, it was just a good name on a list of popular rabbit names.

Whatever, Maribel takes her own partner from the other 3 and then it is time for our first fight against Red. It's a double battle versus his Reimu and Chen… if I had taken the Reimu, would that mean we had a Reimu vs Reimu fight?

[​IMG]

Alright, let's get this done! The attacks are pretty standard, but the types are totally different. Pound is Illusion type? Tail Whip is Beast type? Would Reimu have attacks of the Holy type or something? The battle goes on, with us exchanging hits. Sakuya uses scratch and Reimu also Pound…

Chen goes down but I am really low on health because everyone just focuses their attacks on Reisen. Fortunately our not-so-useless bunny has a Oran Berry that fixes her up a bit. Good thinking moon bunny. But the Reimu also had an Oran Berry and heals up getting me really low. Now I cannot miss the next hit or my partner is going to be dead. And that would be a very embarrassing way to end a Nuzlocke.

The Reimu barely survives my Pound and is taken out by Sakuya’s scratch. Well damn if one of us had missed that could have ended badly. And then the long tradition of shaking the other guy for money is explained to us by Red. He is a good loser, if not necessarily one who says a lot. Me and Maribel praise Red and thank him for his help in explaining this whole trainer business to us.

[​IMG]

I apologize for nothing!

We get a Pokedex and a few Pokeballs. I guess renaming them would be too much of a pain and Pokemon did come first.

Thus begins Act 1: The Quest

Thank you everyone for reading! Wait warmly for girls are preparing for the next part^^

PS: This is crossposted from Sufficient Velocity, partially to see if there is more interest here than there. I was also going to post on SB but the 10 image limit made me not do that.

DuskAtDawn likes this.
  2. Threadmarks: Team & Co
    Heaven Canceler

Our Protagonist

[​IMG]

Renko Usami, a strange young girl that was transported into the world of Pokemon and Puppets. She has the ability to immediately tell the time when looking up at the stars and find her position by looking at the moon. Together with her friend Maribel Hearn she has decided to become a Puppet trainer to find clues on the hidden real of Gensokyo and clues on how to return to her home. She has a nice hat.

Team

Name: Coco
    Species: Chibi Reisen
    Type: Heart
    Level: 16+
    Nature: Hardy
    Ability: Keen Eye

Name: Emily
    Species: Chibi Tokiko
    Type: Flying
    Level: 17+
    Nature: Gentle
    Ability: Early Bird

Name: Lori
    Species: Chibi Mystia
    Type: Flying
    Nature: Gentle
    Ability: Cute Charm

Name: Sol
    Species: Chibi Sunny Milk
    Type: Fire
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Vital Spirit

Name: Gandalf
    Species: Chibi Nazrin
    Type: Beast
    Level: 11+
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Pickup

Name: Hilda
    Species: Chibi Luna Child
    Type: Wind
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Pickup

Banked

Name: King
    Species: Chibi Chen
    Type: Beast
    Level: 12+
    Nature: Quirky
    Ability: Run Away

Name: Pandora
    Species: Chibi Rumia
    Type: Dark
    Level: 8+
    Nature: Bashful
    Ability: Levitate

Name: Titania
    Species: Chibi Kogasa
    Type: Ghost
    Level: 12+
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Intimidate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SufficientGravitas likes this.
  3. Threadmarks: Unfortunate Events
    Heaven Canceler

Welcome back everyone and thanks for checking out this whole thing. Not much has happened yet, but we are moving on! After Renko and Maribel split up and the later said she would go to the next city, we move to check out the city again a bit. The shop of the elderly couple from earlier is no longer stuffed with infinite potions. Though now I can buy some antidotes to be on the safe side. I think poison stops before death, but I am not 100% sure and don’t wanna risk it here. Also some extra Pokeballs because we will probably need them.

[​IMG]

Apparently they added a item in this game that lets you listen to any music in the game at will. Basically, a glorified radio I guess. Not a bad choice in itself, but takes a bit away from the atmosphere I feel. But that isn’t so important. Seeing as there is nothing of note in the city, I move towards the grass and get ready for my first partner and!

[​IMG]

It is a…. grey mermaid thing? Is that supposed to be a dress? I vaguely remember that this character is supposed to be some sort of bird Youkai? But she looks kinda blob-like.

[​IMG]

Alright, I think this is the game’s Pidgey? Or the Spearow of this game? I dunno, certainly some standard Touhoumon. Still, I do like going and beating pseudo-legendaries with some run-of the mill mon from my backyard. So who knows, maybe it will become a long running partner! After a short bit of wondering I decide to name her Emily and go back to heal in the Pokemon Center. Curiously Sister Joy talks about taking my Pokemon for healing even though I have none at all.

Regardless, I will level my new friend a bit to not have her die easily to any strong enemy. When I move to Route 1 again, I find an wooden hut that seems to be locked.

[​IMG]

Quickly I find what I thought was a Bug Catcher, but it appears that he is apparently a Fairy Catcher instead. Declaring that he dealt with everything on this route, he can easily take me on. But what he throws at me isn’t enough to beat my slightly trained Touhoumon. I guess I overestimated the first trainer for now.

[​IMG]

That one isn’t really anymore impressive than the former at all! By the way I have only limited knowledge of Touhou and zero knowledge of Touhoumon, but isn’t Lily supposed to be white?

The wild guys here are not that impressive, but there was one or two times where I ran into a Level 5 opponent, so that is kinda pathetic. The other trainers I find are similarly unimpressive. I guess that just means I won’t be too worried about losing anyone right at the start. So far the trainers here have all had Nazrin or Tokiko, with only the Fairy Catcher right at the start showing anything different.

[​IMG]

Oh that one is different. I think it is the one with the lamprey stand. It doesn’t put anymore of a fight up than the others but that doesn’t really matter right now. The pathway to Viridian city seems slightly different than before, but not too much. Though once I get there, it does seem a bit strange to me. Also, it is night now, how does time go by? 1 minute per second like in some other games?

Unfortunately for me Viridian City appears to have a lot of locked path. One guy won’t let me move up without visiting the Trainer Academy. Another path is closed by a miniature tree that needs to be cut down. Wish you could just put that up in the blackboard of a Pokecenter or something. “Please cut this tree down, reward 250 Pokedollars.” But since there doesn’t seem any other place I can visit I go to the trainer school.

[​IMG]

I am welcomed by a… I think it is a girl? Well, a person with blue hair who immediately asks me if I am also studying here. She says someone else came recently and immediately hit the books. Huh, Merry is that you or someone else? Regardless, she is quite a nice person and gives me the running shoes…. Okay, it appears that the S button does not toggle run, it just makes the game itself move faster. Useful to know I guess.

The guy left tells me that the Academy was once a trainer house for pure battling but was later changed into a school where people can learn and fight. They also have lots of books on puppets, fighting and so on, even some stuff from before the invasion. He also says that was 8 years ago? Which doesn’t work together with what Oak said of him finding the puppets 2 years ago? Did I misread something there?

In the lower parts you can battle, but you don’t get any reward ala Exp or money…. no reason to risk my partners then.

[​IMG]

“terror that is Ruukoto”

*Googles*

Okay, a robot maid? I have no clue why that is important or why no one takes her serious? I guess she is a character that never appeared again though, so maybe it is because of that?

Regardless, I wander the school, talking with people here and there and stuff. One guy talks about a haunted house where some strange being appears, but only in the early morning hours. I don’t really care though and just move on. I walk past Maribel, who doesn’t even look up from the book she is reading, I find a class of students with many notebooks on various stuff. A good deal is random scrabbling with possible plot relevance, especially the one about multiverse and gateways and stuff. One shows that apparently some Chibis evolve using special shards, with different shards leading to offensive, defensive etc… forms? There is a Defense Shard, a Power Shard, a Swift Shard, Tech Shard, Support Shard and Solar Shard. And there are apparently still stones for evolution too! Rather than elemental, these evolutions seem more based on a role or stat configuration than anything else.

Another guy has a notebook filled with this.

[​IMG]

After a moment it turns out that the game-devs didn’t just add some jokes inside, but these are actually stat-enhancing items. After some checking and trying to find which item boosts heart since that is Reisen’s type I quit bothering and go talk with Maribel. She explains a bit about the past system where there were Dragon, Psychic and Bug types (Which aren’t there anymore?) She tells me to also check out the books, but I cannot do that because… well pushing buttons while looking at the shelves does nothing.

So I talk to her again and now she wants to fight.

[​IMG]

Uh…. alright… I feel a bit shaky but the other trainers were all pushovers so there should be zero reason to be worried, right? Right???

[​IMG]

Okay I was right… puh that got me worried for a moment. Although it is a mirror match, the enemy Tokiko doesn’t really do anything worthwhile and is easily trashed. Then though Merry sends out her Level 8 Sakuya and it uses Knife Throw which is super effective! It deals enough damage that a second hit would kill me. If it had critted my first catch would be gone now…

Okay, that is a bit difficult but the basic hits don’t do thaaat much damage to Reisen so it should be fine. I will have to use some cheap Potion spam tactics, but damn if I am losing my starter already.

[​IMG]

WTF that crit!

And then the Sakuya uses a Oran Berry to fix the worst of the damage too. Goddamn it!

I switch to Emily… but there is nothing I can do. Emily’s attacks aren’t very effective against Sakuya and the meido can kill me in one hit, even Potion Spam won’t help in the slightest and all….

I attack anyway, but there is almost no effect and…

[​IMG]

Holy shit I think that was the fastest Nuzlocke loss ever short of someone losing the first fight against the rival due to some ridiculous fluke… Seriously WTF

Alright, I will have to rethink this. Possibly dropping the “Stays dead part” or something because damn it… does anyone have a suggestion on what to do now? Because right now I think I should maybe just drop the Nuzlocke part, or at least declare this as not-counting because I don’t know what else to do short of starting a new game. And I really don’t want to do that now.

4. Threadmarks: Continuation
    Heaven Canceler

Welcome back to all readers to this round of Touhoumon. After my rather unfortunate loss last time I have decided to drop the permadeath part of this whole thing. Though I will keep it up with the first per route rule since that makes the whole thing a bit more interesting and more difficult than if I could just grab whatever I wanted.

Dear diary, today I met Merry again. After trekking through the wilderness for hours and training it was rather nice to find a city and a place to relax. This world is incredible. The technology is beyond anything I have ever seen back home. Matter-to-energy conversion, teleportation, storage in digital space and more. It is closer to magic than technology from my point of view. I am not sure how the local economy works. You get free food, drink and stay in Pokemon Centers as a trainer but various useful items and luxuries do cost money.

And they built a house for us within a few hours! I cannot even begin to baffle at this enough. We just talked for a few hours and then professor Oak said the villagers got something for us to sleep in. I am still kind of in disbelief.

Well, I also got Coco that way and I am quite happy about that. She is so cute… but unfortunately we lost to Merry in our last fight. Ah, her Sakuya is way too strong. It isn’t fair at all! My own Tokiko beat hers easily, but neither it nor Coco could do anything worth noting against her Sakuya. I think the two are now traumatized since they kept twitching whenever I used my knife while eating in the Pokemon Center. Uhhhh I just want to cuddle them and hold them and tell them that everything will be good. But I guess it is more training instead? I am kinda annoyed because Merry has apparently been sitting in the library since she got here instead of training and yet we still lost…

[​IMG]

Alright guys, lets do this again! This time no loss.

Maribel’s Tokiko goes down easily again and I can see the true opponent appearing soon. Sakuya und Reisen fight it out harshly before a sudden crit takes down my moon bunny…. not again!

[​IMG]

No, why did that have to happen AGAIN? Urgh, but my other partner isn’t useless. Even though Sakuya’s knife attack hurts a lot, this time it is Sakuya who is low enough to go down in two attacks. And she already used her heal-berry earlier. Victory is ours!

[​IMG]

Feel the wrath of these small girls

Finally, god that girl is scary. It is good that Pound is an effective attack. That Psyshot Reisen learned some time ago isn’t very useful against her. Also, I googled and apparently Sakuya is an Ice Type Touhoumon? That is… I am not sure what to think of that to be honest but hey, whatever works.

Merry says that she is gonna go check out the city and then move on to the next place, maybe see who else she can battle. Well, go and throw your knives at other people instead of my Touhoumon.

I move up and as expected I am no longer blocked from leaving the city! Wonderful, now I can go check out the places north of this. I look around and find the Gym right above the guy who blocked the path earlier. It is closed as expected, with Green the boss out on business in another region. Still confused as heck over Green and Blue being different persons? Aren’t they just two names for the same person?

[​IMG]

“Oh my what strange and mysterious creature could that be?”

We ask around and it is a Spearow which the girl has had since it was a baby. How adorable. It also appears like she goes out to high places to fly with it a lot? Now well, our very first seen Pokemon!

Next door is a Regional Uplink Center of some sort? It says it connects the different regions 24/7, but is is closed so yeah, these guys are lying liars who lie. Pants on fire and stuff! I mean, they even write maintenence instead of maintenance on the note. I also find Blue’s house with a note that he isn’t around so yeah… there are a lot of closed things here.

[​IMG]

“Trespass”

B.. but how else am I supposed to find the 7 Dragonballs?

Now I go and check his entire house for goodies but sadly there is nothing to be had. Greedy old bastard^^

Before continuing on this way towards the northern path, I go left and find the Pokemon League we all know. Okay, it is a bit different. There is a nice lady who tells me that they added some things. You can still go and challenge the league the normal way, with the badges and all. But you can also just go in without badges as long as you manage to defeat a series of trainers representing the different Gyms. I am not sure which is harder. Something to consider for later I guess.

Okay, actually I cannot resist the temptation to at least check how this is gonna be like. So I go inside and see what the big deal with the test is. There I run into Slade, one of Brock’s younger siblings who represents his Gym here. I think maybe it won’t be so hard. It says I can turn back though I will have to start from the beginning again. So maybe I could get one win and then leave?

[​IMG]

Alright… maybe not…. Oh, that is Lori the Chibi Mystia I caught on Route 23 before the Victory Route. That was actually a nice surprise. I got a Nazrin on Route 22 too and named it Gandalf because of the grey colour theme. Though now I have two flying types. I am not sure which I should keep in the team in the long run? I reset because there is not much point to fighting against a team of Level 50+ opponents with what amounts to a bunch of beginner mons.

Then it's off to Route 2. Right at the start there is a few bushes of berries and a guy who apparently spends hours just watching them grow. Yes, he actually says so himself. Well, I guess everyone needs a hobby but still that doesn’t seem very productive. At least he is outside….

It takes a bit until I find anything that isn’t a Nazrin or Mystia on this route but then I run into this girl:

[​IMG]

I name the little one Hilda because of no real reason other than the name somehow feeling right. She is a Wind type instead of a Fairy Type like I actually expected. Aren’t all the Fairies supposed to be Fairy Types or something? Maybe that was something I read in a fanfic sometime… Well from what google tells me the Wind Type is basically the Electric type of this game or something. So she should be pretty useful if that is right. A bit of experimenting even shows that Wind resists Flying… which sort of makes sense but isn’t a thing with electric Pokemon I think?

I move on into the forest and are awed by the ancient trees and the sounds of life all around me.

[​IMG]

Thank you old man, I will be careful out there.

Slowly I make my way through the forest and find a young Fairy Catcher who tells me that he and his friends often come here. He warns me that they will likely attack me on sight if they are bored. Instead of looking for them I decide to get a Pokemon in this forest to fill out the roster of my Team. Again, it takes a bit for something to pop up that I haven’t already caught but then appears this one:

[​IMG]

I named her Sol because she threw fire at me on first sight and the name of her species creates an awfully obvious pun. The Nature is kinda hilarious though since I am pretty sure she is supposed to be a special attacker instead of a physical one. At least from her stats and fire attack. And well damn, I really didn’t expect to catch so many Touhoumon so quickly. I have a full party before even reaching Brock and all that.

5. Threadmarks: Reaching Pewter
    Heaven Canceler

A short update this time around because I didn't get to do that much and stuff.

Regardless, I am inside the forest, but I cannot go the left path, it is locked off by a tiny tree and as we all know, in the world of Pokemon and Touhoumon that is an immovable object unless you have the right plot device.^^ So I move right and then….

[​IMG]

Behold, the face of wisdom!

It is Fairy Catcher Charlie and he sends out a Chibi Sunny Milk against Hilda. Of course my
    girl wins that fight easily enough. Then he sends out a Luna Child and I start going full moron and sent out Lori who gets one shotted by a Thundershock. I send out Sol and she burns down the little lightning throwing monster.

Of course I didn’t mean you Hilda, you are the most adorable little thunder-blaster ever.

This at least shows me just how clearly stupid I was trying a Nuzlocke here. If I don’t even remember the Type of Touhoumon I own, how was I ever going to survive until the Elite 4?

I train everyone a little but mostly Gandalf because the Nazrin is by far the weakest member of my party. Turns out she is also the hardest to train. Half the things around do lots of damage to her, or crit kill her easily. Her nature also makes her a better special attacker than physical while having only Tackle. But then she learns Thief… which is actually the same as normal. 40 Power, Dark Type, steals items.

While wandering around I find an antidote and another Fairy Catcher.

[​IMG]

After defeating his Chibi Star Sapphire which keeps critting damn it… he sends out this one…. the name! For these that don’t know, Daiyousei means “Big Fairy” so the name translates to Little Big Fairy. This is hilarious!

I have no clue what type it is but it uses Gust which I think is a Wind Type? But then it has wings so it could be either way. Coco beats it and gets a Level Up and showing that it is still the biggest and baddest girl in my team.

[​IMG]

His last Touhoumon I once again cannot say which type it is. Ghost, Dark… Emo?

It gets set on fire by Sol regardless anyway. This little fire fairy is really doing a good job with the burn you know. I like her.

I wander around, occasionally being forced to go back to the city to heal up after my team gets especially hurt. There isn’t much of note until I run into another Fairy Catcher who is the brother of the former one. He has a Sunny Milk that doesn’t put up much of a fight and a Lily White which I sadly forgot to capture a picture of. But his last team member is this:

[​IMG]

I want one.

It is the legendary 9-Ball, the most feared and powerful creature in all of Touhou^^ I fight her with Sol because with all that has changed, Ice should still be weak against fire, right? And even the greatest noob should know Cirno. So I hit it and 1 Ember almost takes it down. There is only a sliver of health before I take it down with another attack. Down with you fearsome 9-Ball, down with you. Also Sol gets Level 10 and learns Mud Slap????

It is a 30 Power Earth Move that always lowers the enemy's accuracy. Not that bad, but why does a Firebending fairy learn an Earth attack?

After way too long trekking through the forest I reach the last trainer of the place.

[​IMG]

Oh my, I wonder what Touhoumon he will send at me?

[​IMG]

Oh it is a Chibi Wriggle, who would have thought?

And what the heck is with that appearance? Is it surrounded by some sort of swirling matter? Is it cocooned? Is that its dress and it is flying straight at us?

After a bit of trying and yes.. Gandalf doesn’t even scratch this guy and holy moly he goes and takes down more than half the health of our cute mouse in one hit. I send out Sol and well, it seems fire works rather well against this one.Good to know. I guess it is Nature type or something?

The second one is also a Chibi Wriggle Level 12 and I send out Lori in hopes that Flying attacks will cut it down. Fortunately that actually works! And that means I can now finally leave this forest. I think I may have missed something in there, but I honestly don’t want to go back through it to check for any items I haven’t found.

[​IMG]

Ah Pewter City, finally I have returned to civilization. The man next to me is training with his Meiling by beating up rocks. Which makes him a 7 on the scale of anime-ness I think. At the very least he could be an hot-blooded rival I believe.

I wander the city a little to see if there is anything of note happening. There are a couple locked doors. Which really gets in the way of my RPG character kleptomania. Then I walk to the right and find the path that if I remember right, leads to Mount Moon.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately small insects are blocking the path. It would be rude to step on them so I have to wait until they have gone past. Yes, literally that is what the text says. I am not sure whether to praise the sheer gall of the developer or curse his laziness for not coming up with something better. Currently I am going towards the former because I haven’t seen anything quite that audacious when it comes to roadblocks.

There is also a roadblock with a path towards the north which leads towards what a sign says a “Crystal Village” of which I have no clue. I don’t think that appears in the original games, so I guess this is an addition or something?

Oh, and the Pewter Museum has a Lunar Exhibition with free entry for anyone. I guess I am going to visit this next time around.

Meanwhile I have noticed that my Team so far is very.. offensive I guess is the term. The closest to a tank seems to be Reisen and that is partially by virtue of having the highest level of them all. Everyone seems to be a bit on the side of easily taken down. I dunno, maybe I could do an evolution that is more on the tanky side in the future? Unless I find something that is more tanky anytime soon.

6. Threadmarks: Museums, Badges & Mysteries
    Heaven Canceler

The early parts of the museum don’t have much of note, so I will give you the abridged version. Floor 1 has a bunch of books, some fossils *Praise Helix!* and not really anything else aside from some people talking about how cool the place is. The second floor though has some more interesting things though. In addition to a huge moonstone that fell from the moon we got a small replica of a space shuttle. And then this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The title of this exhibit piece is “Actual Moon People?” and it has a piece of drywall found at a location where reportedly a meteor crashed down. Another exhibit piece shows various tools that could be used in a house and a musket. What a mystery, could it be that there are people on the moon? And they use muskets?

There is also an Pokeball with strange writings on the top in ancient Japanese. I assume that one will be important at some point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already like the guy who designed this game, he has a great humour.

Well, I talk with some more people and hear that apparently the owner of the museum is also the Gym Leader, or at least takes over whenever Brock is busy elsewhere? I guess businessmen like that must have quite the skill to not have their exhibition pieces stolen. It explains why there is no Team Rocket or other groups around doing shady things. And I cannot go to the 3rd floor because the staff doesn’t allow it. I am told to sneak in through the staff entrance. Surely my appearance won’t seem out of the ordinary at all in this place. I will just mix in with the office drones.There is no chance that I will stand out at all.

[​IMG]

Oh what a downer, I was looking to find untold riches in the paper-bin. As expected, no one has discovered that I don’t belong here at all! Hah, my acting skills are impossibly good. One scientist tells me that the Cinnabar Volcano erupted 7 years ago and they lost their fossil lab there. Then they moved to Silph Co. to challenge Hoenn’s Devon Corp monopoly on the destruction of the natural order.

[​IMG]

Third Floor and there really is a Gym in here. Fortunately there is also a nice guy who informs me that Miles uses Earth type Touhoumon. So Fire and Wind types should stay out while Flying are gonna kick ass here. This is great because I have two Flying types.

Before I can fight the Gym Leader I run into Ruin Maniac Vic who attacks me with…

[​IMG]

I have absolutely no clue who that is. I knew most Touhous a little bit at least, but this one? Nope, nothing at all. Is that girl half tunneled into the earth? Is it the Diglett of the game? Will she multiply once she evolves into a three-headed Puppet? Does she originate from Indian folklore or something? I think they have some mythological figures with multiple heads, including some gods I believe?

I fight it with Gandalf and he does… about nothing in damage. Actually, the poor Nazrin just gets trashed while doing scratch damage. And when I switch to Lori she immediately gets poisoned by the Poison Stings the thing has been throwing around. I use Lori to put the thing asleep and switch again, this time to Emily who then Quick Attacks the opponent into oblivion. While going back to heal my damaged team, I find out that yes, poison does in fact stop once you end up with 1 HP. Good to know I guess.

After that is done, I return to do glorious battle! The temporary Gym Leader welcomes me and tells me that he won’t go down quietly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Chibi Suika is my first opponent after the dapper man throws his Pokeball. I sent out Coco to test out this opponent first and get a feel for him. But I immediately notice that I can just barely scratch at his Suika with my attacks. Neither Psyshot nor Pound do more than a bit of damage.

[​IMG]

And Karate Chop almost destroys my cute bunny! That wasn’t nice of you at all strange horned girl!

I switch over to Lori and fortunately the Suika uses Seismic Toss which does nothing against Flying Types. I send it into dreamland with Sing and Lori beats the sleeping enemy up. Just when Suika’s life goes low though the opponent uses a potion. Curses, almost had her. Then as if to be as annoying as possible the opponent starts to use Minimize and my Touhoumon keeps missing.

After being forced to use a potion lest I lose one member of what I think is ½ of my team which can actually fight in this battle, we finally take down this enemy. Then a new opponent is revealed.

[​IMG]

It is Japanese Supergirl! This battle is less troublesome even though the opponent is higher levelled because there is no Evasion trickery and I manage to put Supergirl to sleep twice. Lori is down to 8 HP when she wins though, which shows how though the opponents are here. I have a feeling that the game doesn’t assume that you have a full party already by this point or something. Because the wild Touhoumon around here are only Level 6, which obviously isn’t friendly for grinding.

After getting 1300 Poke-Dollar from the friendly chap, he gets ready to give me the Boulder Badge when…

[​IMG]

It turns out someone is here to see the Curator, so he apologizes and leaves for the moment.

I take this chance to relax and let the victory sink in.

[​IMG]

“Wait, who are you and why are you sitting in the boss’s chair?”

“I am your new boss, I beat your old one.”

“No way, it doesn’t work that way.”

“You want to challenge me, right of conquest and all?” *Takes out Emily’s ball*

“No no… I will just go and get you some… eh coffe miss…”

Still, I don’t really want to own a museum, so I quietly decide to just leave it with Miles. He is clearly doing a good job after all.

One stage lower, the boulder… *ahem* surprisingly well crafted door is gone. And there is a man in a black uniform with a R blocking the stairs down. Who could they be? He won’t let me through and the other stairs are similarly blocked.

7. Threadmarks: Business Doesn't Work
    Heaven Canceler

[​IMG]

It appears a business-colleague has come to make the Curator a offer he cannot refuse.

???: My Sources tell me that you recently gained a certain artifact of… otherworldly origins. I would like to procure it off of you.

Miles: Pardon? I don’t quite follow what you are saying.

???: I can make it worth your while. Enough funding to expand this Museum, obtain new exhibits, whatever you wanted. All you have to do is hand over the artifact.

Miles: I’m afraid I have no idea what you are talking about, sir. And even if I did, no bribe would change my mind otherwise. Now if you wouldn’t mind, I respectfully ask you to leave this place and take your group with you, before I call security.

???: Fair enough. We shall take our leave. Good day, Mr. Miles.

What is this bizarro world? Competent Giovanni who tries to bribe people and get on their good side, a man who wants to call security rather than hope for the intervention of ten year olds? What strange things have happened to this place?

Oh my, since nothing is happening I talk with Mister Miles and he apologizes for not noticing me. Then he awards me the Boulder Badge. I also get the TM39, Rock Tomb. None of my team can learn it though, also for some reason it is written SC instead of TM here?

Regardless, with this done I am free to leave. Though I make sure to check out the normal Gym first since I forgot that. Turns out that Brock is also in another region just like the Viridian Gym leader as I am told by someone who seems to wait in the Gym to tell people so.

Now then, the ants that have blocked the path towards the east are gone! It is time to find out more about the world beyond Pewter City. There is a Fairy Catcher right at the start who wouldn’t be very impressive if not for the fact that his entire Team is Level 13.

[​IMG]

Since I decided to keep following the 1-Catch per Route rule, I capture this little fellow. I am not sure on the name, honestly it just popped into my name. Kind of thinking of replacing Gandalf with this one. But how should I put it, Chen is somehow even more of a Glass Cannon that the Nazrin. But at least King has a neutral nature compared to the Nazrin’s which lowers Attack…. what do you think I should do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also run into these little monsters in the wild. From the source material I am pretty sure the first is Dark or Ghost type. Not sure though, but I feel like the chances are good. She has Lick at the very least, which keeps paralyzing my mates. Pretty interesting, I wonder if she is this game’s equivalent of the Ghastly line?

On the second, I have no real clue what Chibi Tewi could be? Maybe Dream or Beast? Pretty sure she isn’t faith since she has nothing to do with religion though. Certainly not Reason, maybe Heart? What does Luck Manipulation powers translate to in a game like this?

The trainers meanwhile keep escalating. Youngster Zack has a Level 15 Star Sapphire as his third team member. I am forced to do some ridiculous routine where I put the opponent to sleep with Lori, then lower their accuracy to not get beaten into the ground by this one. For your information, I don’t have anyone above Level 13 when I meet this opponent. And that is after some grinding in the grass below this guy. The Level curve here is not to underestimate.

[​IMG]

That is nice to hear, could you maybe not attack me? No.. well I guess it cannot be helped. Fairy Catcher Benji sends out a Chibi Cirno which is actually only Level 12. Surprisingly reasonable compared to the other stuff.

And then it uses Swagger right on the first turn. And yes, it still does the same it does in the standard game. I risk it and Hilda shoots lightning right into the 9-Ball. Good job my friend. I pause, then move over to Sol because I read that Daiyousei here is a Nature type and these burn oh so gloriously well.

[​IMG]

I made my fairy set another fairy on fire, does that make me evil?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wait, does that mean your family is the one which produces all the people who go.

“I like shorts, they are nice and comfy.” and so on?

I don’t know what I should say now, i feel like I found out one of the great secrets of the universe just now. Could I be one step closer to enlightenment now? As I move on I find a patch with higher grass than normal and one guy saying that occasionally two Pokemon appear there. The matter of the creature aside, so this is how you can get wild double battles?

[​IMG]

It takes a good while to search but there it is! The curious double battle that is so much welcome as a deviation from the standard. Although the battle is over quickly, Hilda does reach level 15 and learns Shock Wave, a 60 Power Move that never misses. This is going to be very useful when we get to Misty, I am sure of it.

After beating up a couple of Campers, I finally reach Mount Moon.

[​IMG]

There is fortunately a Center right in front of it which will make things easier. I am not sure, does the normal version have on too? I don’t remember the standard games having one at all. Though maybe I am wrong, it has been a long time since I played Red and Blue and I never played the Remakes when they came out.

Still, for now that is all the progress and I hope you found some amusement in this. Till the next time on LP Touhoumon Faith & Prayer.

8. Threadmarks: Spelunking in Mount Moon
    Heaven Canceler

[​IMG]

Hello Mount Moon, you are as pretty as I remember you. Sadly, the inside isn’t nearly as interesting and a pretty standard rocky ground with rocky walls and rocky everything. I am not sure whether this is actually the standard cave or not, but it feels vaguely familiar. So maybe the map is actually the same as in the original games.

[​IMG]

What does he want to tell us with this? I am very curious.

Joking aside, since I have never made a Pokemon game I will just assume he is right. It does seem rather tedious programming all these mons, movesets and everything in for what amounts to a random encounter. But then, such random encounters have created memes like Joey’s super Rattata and all. So it is nothing to underestimate the importance of.

I wander around and don’t really run into any wild Touhoumon before finding a trainer who wants to fight.

[​IMG]

“can entertain a battle.”

Okay sure, not like your job is important or anything. There is no way that actual harm could be done to anything or anyone here. The guy is actually dressed somewhat like a construction worker so I am not sure what exactly he is supposed to do if there is unstable activity? Quickly build some extra pillars to hold up the cave?

[​IMG]

A new mysterious creature, most likely Earth type?

*Shoots Lightning at the Green-Haired Chibi*

Nope, electricity works just fine so it isn’t Earth type.

She actually doesn’t put up much of a fight and goes down after a few hits of lightning without doing anything of note. Kinda a pity, looked like an interesting character. And once again, I have no clue who that is. She seems kinda like some sort of dog-girl? Female Inuyasha is that you?

The second and last Puppet of this guy is a Chibi Suika that is defeated without too much trouble by Lori. Though this one also tries the annoying Minimize trick to boost its evasion. I really cannot stand that sort of enemy.

[​IMG]

Okay, seems I didn’t look well enough and this guy actually has three Touhoumon. Meiling, pretty sure that one's Dream type. I know that Dream is the sort-of replacement for Fighting and Meiling is some sort of magical super martial artist in canon. (May or may not actually be a Dragon in human form too as I read in some fanfics.) That means Reisen’s Psyshot should be super effective from what I remember.

It is! And the Meiling also gets confused right off the bat. Great job killer bunny! The opponent barely survives the second hit of Psyshot, but then the Touhoumon hurts itself in confusion and goes down. Victory against Worker Mitch… though his words disturb me.

“At least the cave didn’t collapse around us!”

Yes dude, great job getting distracted by a fight, lucky that no one died horribly^^

Well, he does say something useful, apparently Route 23 was destroyed during the Cinnabar volcano eruption, so now they keep checking everywhere to avoid something like this happening again. Again, I am wondering what he is gonna do if there is a problem. I mean, I guess he could have some tech that will forewarn him so he can just get everyone to leave, but shouldn’t they then have seen the volcanic eruption coming?

I am already wondering if there are no wild Touhoumon in the early part of the cave when I run into a Chibi Rumia. After catching her, I find out that Rumia is a pure Dark type with the Levitate ability. It has a neutral nature and knows only Lick and Smoke Screen. Stats are… balanced with Speed as the lowest. A potential replacement for one of my Flying types. I don’t really need two. Something to consider.

[​IMG]

And another new sight. I run into a lot of these recently. Fortunately, it goes down without too much of a fight. But it seems to have some fire attacks too? So is it Fire/Earth or something? Or a pure Fire type in Mount Moon? Possibly something even stranger. A bit of testing when I run into another one shows that Earth attacks are super effective, so Fire type is pretty sure.

Also, I think Rumia may be this game’s Zubat, but I am not quite sure. So far I have only run into her and Kisume.

Not too far away from the entrance I find a Ruin Maniac whose Nazrin gets quickly beaten into the ground. But his second Touhoumon isn’t something I have seen so far. Shortly later there is Super Nerd Shawn who has another new sight. Third there is a wild Chibi Koakuma that pops up while searching for directions. I guess this is the rare spawn in here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, why is Keine wearing a leaf as a hat? Because I am pretty sure that is what that is. She is even holding the lower part in her hands. Is she that small or did they get her some super overgrown leaf or something? It seems to be a Reason type given it fires a lot of Psyshots at me. Medicine is Nature or something because fire works really well against her. In addition, I am also quite sure she is Poison/Miasma for her second type because she is some sort of magical poison puppet in the games. And I don’t know about Koakuma, but given she is some sort of demon I assume Dark or Ghost, probably the former.

[​IMG]

Yes, this guy is a burglar, he is kinda obvious about it. Apparently he wanted to ambush some people doing a excavation here, but he lost them and challenges us instead. Not much to say here, but his Luna Child is Level 18. The Levels are still a bit crazy here. Nothing in the wild ist above Level 10 here.

By the way, I am pretty sure the guy is waiting where the fossils were located in the RBY games. Which means this guy may be a decade too late to find any sort of excavation here.

I continue wandering around and find TM09 Decision, which once again absolutely no one in my team can learn. Isn’t it great? Also, yes Rumia are the Zubats of this game, if anything they are worse. Their lick keeps paralyzing people again and again, sometimes multiple times when I switch to someone else. Plus they can also confuse the opponent. Seriously, these are a pain to deal with. I think I will buy some repels to avoid this from now on.

Wait, King has Run Away. I can grab him from the PC and put him at the front of the team and run away from every fight I don’t want to fight! What a brilliant idea from me!

It is a good idea, isn’t is? Please praise me...

*An Unclear Amount of Time Later*

I hate caves… you know they never felt this bad in the original games. This hasn’t even been that long! Just a hour or so but it feels so frustrating. Every few steps another Rumia or Kisume pops up and they are so annoying to deal with.

Right, it takes me a bit but I run into another trainer and….

[​IMG]

Is that… blood dripping from… I just don’t know….

What the heck I don’t even have the slightest clue why this specific pictures was chosen. Isn’t Tenshi a Deva? A halfway enlightened god or something? I get that masochism joke but why that? Or is that tomato sauce, by god I will just say it is tomato sauce and everything.

As I continue on my journey of endless Zubats Rumias I finally grow too tired and use some Repels so I can walk without getting interrupted every 3 seconds. Then there stands a guy on a corner who works for the Curator of the Pewter City museum. He gives me a Excavation kit while telling me that I can use it to mine glowing parts of the cave for treasure. That is…. ehhh… nice I guess? Did he really just give me what amounts to permission to take precious materials from this place? I guess I shouldn’t question this and all, but still. It's like a researcher seeing a tourist and giving him a bunch of tools that let him go get the gemstones out of the mountain, but the good ones, not that random stuff you buy in the gift shops.

Next there is a guy who has found an oddly coloured Puppet which then turns out to be a shiny Rumia.

[​IMG]

That is actually pretty cool. He even gave it a name.

But I still hate this cave!

Okay I am not actually that angry, or maybe that is because I have calmed down by the time I am writing this. Really, I didn’t even think of the possibilities of Shinies in this game. Huh, now I wonder if we'll have the fortune of finding one in this run. I am excited!

Finally then I reach the outside.

[​IMG]

Alright, I'm out! And how should I put it, there really is a gift shop beyond Mount Moon. I check the wiki for a moment, but no that appears to be a new addition here. There isn’t actually anything of note to buy there. Just some minor items and a Pokedoll. Well that would be more useful before having to deal with an endless series of monsters.

The lake right next to the Gift shop is curious though. There is a trainer inside the cave who tells me that he got his moon-themed team from a place inside Mount Moon where there was water. I am thinking, maybe you can dive there and find some rare moon-themed Touhoumon that cannot be found elsewhere? The + marks the treasure here instead of the x it seems.

I wander further and find the location that we all know, you know that one place where you have to jump down to get to Cerulean city. And you cannot go back without first getting the Cut TM and all that. I always wondered what was the point of this. It isn’t like you are blocked from going back in other cities or anything. Why specifically make this a cut-off point? Regardless I move on and after a short trek through some grass I find someone waiting for me?

[​IMG]

I like my ears and want to keep them, thank you very much.

Oh wait that isn’t what you meant?

“You see, I’m having a bit of a dilemma. I have this package I’m supposed to deliver to the house up at the cape. But unfortunately, I don’t have any Puppets who can help me get by the trainers that are sure to be waiting there.”

“You look like a capable trainer, would you mind delivering the package for me?”

And I guess I could maybe do it, what exactly is the reward. Wait, don’t just give me the package, you are leaving… and he/she is gone.

He/She??? Is gonna wait at the Pokecenter.. well that happened. It is like back when I was a kid, people give you fetch quests without even asking if you feel like it.

Now, I better get some rest in the Poke Center and see what they have to eat there.

Then I can see the city and maybe go look for that house on the cape. Maybe it is Bill’s house? Does he even still live here? He is a big time Pokemon collector so he wouldn’t take a risk to his collection very well. Now I am imagining him sitting in a bunker, shooting mad science laser beams at anything that gets to close to protect his precious collection.

Never mind though, here have some pictures of our newest allies, the Rumia I found in Mount Moon and the Kogasa that was here on Route 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And checking the voting for whether to keep Nazrin in the Team, there appear to be three votes total. I guess it hasn’t been thaaat long, but still. Maybe it is lack of information? Should I give some further detail on the differences between Chen and Nazrin? Base-Stats, Evolutions, that sort of stuff? What do you think?

Thank you for reading and see you again on Let’s Play Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Edition!