1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Like No One Ever Was (Pokemon SI - Self Insert)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Gtopia, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Gtopia

Gtopia Getting out there.

So, I figured I'd try my hand at the Ol' Pokemon SI craze that's going on right now. Follow Michael, as he goes from some kid from Pallet Town, to the very best, like no one ever- WHAT DO YOU MEAN COPYRIGHT?

2. Threadmarks: Chapter 1 - Meet Ted- er, I mean Michael!
    Gtopia

Michael

Michael had been in the Pokemon world for most of his new life now, and the one thing that stuck out, ahead of the other things at least, was how calm life was.

Life was almost Idyllic. Wake up and start the day with breakfast made by a woman you had come to see as your mother, along with an older brother and toddling sister. Go to school, mess around with the other kids, wind up the teacher a bit, then come home and waste the day away by doing pretty much whatever you wanted.Research for the upcoming journeys kids are encouraged to take, perhaps just read up on some of the wacky fiction books the Pokemon world produces, or even just waste the day away with your family as if life was easy and it always would be. The life some might call it, I'm starting to think of it as the calm before the storm. Then again, I've never felt more relaxed than in a torrential thunder storm, so we'll see what happens later.

My older brother Adam didn't partake too much with the morning hustle and bustle, though he would still offer gentle greetings, along with light conversation while he caught up on local news. His brown, spiked back hair, longer than mine was something we inherited from our father. Along with the golden tan skin of our mother, we could be twins, if it wasn't for the 8 year age gap.

He was definitely the most patient member of the family, calm, soft spoken, and unfailingly kind. He'd never once looked at me weird, or been anything less than kind and accepting of his younger brother. A brother with the habit of creeping people out, or pissing them off, depending on who I was talking to of course.

Jaime-Lee would spend most of the morning loudly talking, with all the new words she's been able to master recently, even while not having mastered the art of eating without spilling food over herself and the table. Jaime-Lee while still having the sun kissed skin of the rest of the family, had golden hair in a wild mess, something she got from her father. Cute as a button she was, and no doubt the family's spoiled princess, but somehow it wasn't as annoying as I always imagined it would be, having no younger siblings in my previous life.

Of course, given just how little most things tended to effect me, that wasn't very telling. While I didn't really feel things too strongly, I still felt all the metaphorical colours of the Ho-Oh rainbow. While the spoiled younger sibling always grated in tv shows, games and books, Jaime-Lee wasn't a complete brat about the whole thing. Probably also helped that she was my sister and not someone else's.

Mom was the only obvious thing that hinted that this life wasn't as picture perfect as it presented itself as, both in this life and the show. The house tended to have a slight presence of melancholy. sometimes it would barely be there, other times, during key family moments or important days, you could practically feel its weight bearing down. Mom's eyes, usually bland and closed off, would occasionally go sad, hinting at loneliness. Given the love of her life died in the war, that was obviously to be expected. She wasn't an overtly kind or gentle woman, and that bled into her mothering style as well.
    Though it was obvious she loved all her children, and took her role as carer, protector and provider very seriously. While mom's always been more of a rough, hardened presence, she still liked to tease her kids.

Case in point, the look she's giving me right now. The ol' raised single eyebrow with the bored, almost amused eyes. A mom look if I've ever seen one.

"What?"

Her second eyebrow raises.

"What!?"

Now she's smirking. That's never a good sign.

Mom lets out a slight chuckle, even as she scooped up the mashed fruit pudding off the table from where Jaime-Lee was missing her mouth... somehow.

"You've saved up every dollar you had for months in order to buy a few poke-balls, and now that you finally have them, you're not racing out into the wilds?"

I give her an affronted look, even while knowing she has a point. I'd been harping on about finally getting my own Pokémon for the past few months, scraping together all the allowances and earnings from odd jobs, just for this very day. I cant blame her for thinking I'd rush out the door first thing in the morning.

"I'm not that stupid! Besides, I'll need to take Macka with me, just in case, and you know the lazy bum doesn't listen to a thing I say, well most of the time anyway."

Adam gives a quiet chuckle over his paper, while still not getting involved in the conversation, as is his wont. While Jaime-Lee is now chanting bum while mashing her pulped up food. Lovely child, she's going to be a world-leader that one.

"So I did manage to instill some common sense into that head of yours, good." She goes back to doing what she was doing originally, before I arrived at the table. Which was working on a graph on a compressed PC. Kinda like a chunky mix between a laptop and a tablet. Technology in this world was fucking weird as shit. Advanced in one area, while being as shit as a 3rd world country in another. I Chalked that nonsense up to Arceus and anime-land shenanigans when I was a kid. Well, a younger kid.

I simply roll my eyes while finishing off my breakfast.

Afterwards, I leave my boring brother and wild sister behind with the mean lady as I stroll into the back garden.

Sucks to be them!

While we have a regular family sized house in Pallet town, the one thing this town does really well is the back gardens. Twice as long as they are across, they tended to be lush grassy areas with picture perfect tress to cast long shadows of shade, and our own back garden was no different. Though ours had something no one else's did, Macka relaxing on a hammock. A hammock that while triply supported, I still didn't understand how it supported his weight.

As I walked up to the grouchy old bastard, I took note of his body. Even while seeing him everyday of my life near enough, the amount of scars on display are always eye catching. If you only went by his lazy lay about ways then you'd be forgiven for not believing that this is a veteran of the war, and one of the more deadly versions of its kind. Then again, given just how much of a frontline Pokemon Machoke tended to be, along with how gritty a lot of the battles were, especially during the tail end of the war, not many Machoke made it back, but the ones who did made it back for a reason. They were scary motherfuckers, who put everyone who came across them into the ground.

"Oi! Wake up ya hobo! It's time to get going!"

One irritated eye opened up, before he snorted and went back to trying to get some sleep.

"Nope! Not happening! Wakey wakey eggs and backey!"

Still not moving, but now releasing a tired, almost whining sigh, Macka finally started leaning listlessly out of the hammock.

"You know the deal old timer, you're the only one mom will trust to look after me when I head into the forest so you gotta come. I decided today is the day I'm finding my own Pokemon, so lets get to it". While mom did have a few other Pokemon, Lieba was currently at Professor Oak's, apparently so the old man could show her off to some of the kids, and Davey spent near enough all his time in the pond further out back behind the gardens which most of the houses in this area shared.

There wasn't a special reason for going out today, besides the fact that it was the day immediately after I got my poke-balls. I doubt I'd be able to wait any longer even if I wanted too. I'd more than likely prove mom right and race off half cocked.

"Mack, Machoke".

"Yeah yeah, the sooner this is done with, the sooner you get to go back to lazing about".

Given the sigh that basically spelled out 'Oh, if only', I'm gonna say Macka's on board!

-

"Well, this is fucking boring".

After saying bye to mom and Adam, with a tearful and frustrated Jaime-Lee upset that she cant come with me into the forest to see the cute Pokemon, I'd set off. Pallet town was actually really fucking nice. Almost too nice. Everyone here was happy for the most part, and while I wouldn't say everyone were close friends given there are too many people for that, there's few enough that everybody pretty much knew everybody.

A bunch of greetings, with even a few inquiries followed by cautious well wishing from the neighbours, and I was on my way out of Pallet and into the great unknown! Of course, by the great unknown I meant the relatively peaceful and only slightly dangerous forest that basically everyone knows the ins and outs of.

While not my actual journey, this is almost like a mini adventure, a taste of what's to come, and what person on the planet didn't have dreams of going on their own Pokemon adventure? Heathens that's who. People who also wear socks and sandals as well probably, but are those really even people?

An hour later, and I was honestly contemplating heading back. While I'll never knock a Pidgey, that's not really what I want my starter to be, yet for the most part I'm just seeing Pidgey's in the trees, with some Rattata's scurrying in the bushes. Some Metapod dangling from a tree every now and then. 'Huh, given in the game the best way to level them up is by insta switching, how would one even go about using their Metapod in actual fights?' Though if I'm remembering correctly you can actually have a Metapod that knows a few moves from what it learnt pre-evolution, and attack like that.

I also spotted a few Zigzagoons scurrying around. Given HM slaves aren't really a thing, I didn't give them a second look. Ok, that's a lie, they were pretty cute.

As I imagine a Metapod hopping over to another Pokemon to hit them with a tackle like an absolute madman, another sigh left me with shoulders just slightly slumped. Macka of course was finding this whole thing hilarious, as while he's not a very active Pokemon, at least not anymore, he can still do basic traveling without any problems, while my feet are already starting to hurt.

"Yh yh laugh it up, we'll see how you like it when my partner reveals themselves and this whole slog was proven worth it". Macka of course just raises an amused eye-brow, while still looking mostly bored. It's honestly freaky how alike he and mom are. A lot of Pokemon, at least those with especially strong bonds, tend to mimic, or take on certain aspects of their trainers. With even some trainers taking on aspects of their Pokemon as-well. While interesting it still doesn't stop it from being creepy seeing a huge, muscled behemoth like Macka making the same expressions as mom.

It doesn't help that the forest, while not dark, lets in a surprisingly little light. So watching my footing has become rather necessary, so there are no more accidents that Macka can snort at. He doesn't need anymore reasons to do so, he doesn't take me seriously enough as is!

Now while I can certainly make any of the Pokemon I'm coming across my starter, and even make them work, I have my eye out for one in particular, and it's one that I've given a fair amount of thought to. While it's final evolution is certainly powerful, the rule of cool is obviously something that comes into play, and there were very few Pokemon in Kanto as awesome as this one. At least, again, It's final form anyway. Though given the world here is more... realistic, there are plenty more Pokemon here than the standard Kanto fare.

Suddenly, I hear what can only be described as a light continuous squeak from ahead of me. I give a quick look to Macka, who while still mostly bored and relaxed, now has a sharper look to his eyes. Mainly due to the sound being new, and not the noise of a Pokemon we've heard in the time we've been here.

I move slowly, though with a certain confidence from having an absolute Juggernaut like Macka looking out for me, and hear the noise getting louder. I can already tell It's coming from something small, which starts getting my hopes up.

'Come on RNJesus... Arceus, RNArceus. Show me the the luck of the obvious protagonist!'

As I come to the thicket separating me from the Pokemon, I'm sure the noise I'm hearing is in fact crying. While more confused than cautious now, I slowly shuffle through the bushes before finally opening the foliage and coming through on the other side.

'Show me Nidoran!'

"Ursa! Teddy Teddy Urs!"

As I take stock of the small bear-like Pokemon, I also have to take stock of the huge corpse of what is no doubt an Ursaring. Obviously the baby bear Pokémon's mother.

'Huh, didn't see that coming'.

The little guy spots me and instantly starts growling, a surprisingly deep reverberation considering it's small size and high pitch crying. It gets into a guarding position in front of it's mother, and glares me down, even with tears in it's eyes.

'If I'm remembering correctly aren't the baby bear versions supposed to be really skittish, and scare easy? Id of assumed without the protection of it's mother that would be doubly so'.

Though given how recent the death is, the lil guy probably hasn't adapted yet. Besides, going from the glare this dude is giving off, he's probably too angry to care.

I give a look back to Macka only to see him standing back, he doesn't look as bored as he's been so far, more like reserved. Then again, it's not everyday you come across an orphan crying over it's dead parent.

I slowly squat down, low enough to try and seem non threatening, yet on the balls of my toes in case I need to spring. While the Teddiursa looks young, It's still a Pokemon and therefore dangerous.

"Hey there Mate".

It still growls at me, not that I'm surprised of course. I'm an intruder that showed up right at the most vulnerable It's ever been, along with a strange Pokemon at my back, I'd be wary too.

"I'm not here to hurt you little guy, I promise, I just came over to see whats wrong". While most Pokemon learn to pick up on what humans are saying,he might be young enough that he still hasn't developed to the point of being able to pick up on human language.

"Your mom's been hurt real bad huh". Giving by the more tears welling up in his angry eyes, he might be able to pick up more of the human language than I initially thought.

"I think we need to put her to rest little guy, that way she can be at peace".

Still in a hostile stance, but his lil arms are coming down slowly at least. I'm not sure if I'm getting through to him or he's just too tired to care at the moment.

I give him a slow nod, before rising up again.

"We'll need to dig up a resting place for her, that way she can rest, is that okay?"

He just slowly turned around and went back to holding his mother, though this time there was no crying, or attempts to wake her up. He was just gently holding her arm. Like he knew this was the last chance he'd get to hold her.

I gave a nod to Macka while I moved a bit further into the clearing. It was a pretty wide open space, with a break in the trees to give the area a brighter backdrop that the rest of the forest.

AsI pulled out my hand shovel from my small emergency pack around my waist, I looked to Macka. "Give me a hand digging up the ground?"

He gave a silent nod then got to work.

After we had finished, I slowly walked back over to the Teddiursa, Macka not far behind me. I didn't crouch this time, but I did give him some space.After a while he turned his head to look at me.

"Now's the time lil guy, she'll be at peace soon enough". He just gave an upwards nod, though he had to bite down on his lip. Pokemon are strange in the way they're both very intelligent, yet also instinctive creatures. While a human child, even one who was equivelantly older, would still be a breakdown having mess, yet this Teddiursa, while clearly emotional, is still capable of understanding mature concepts like letting go. Any child in his place would be holding on to the mother till they were pulled off.

While I would of liked to help move her, I am just a 10 year old kid, and the Ursarings corpse must way upwards of 130Kg (A/N: around 300 pounds).

Macka gently lifted the shoulders of the mother bear then gently pulled her along. As she went by, I could see just how much damage she had taken, and it was a lot. Her body was pierced several times over with plenty of deep cuts, with even some chunks missing out of her. The most of the wounds appear to have been on her back, no doubt from where she was keeping her back to her attacker to protect her baby.

Macka slowly and with great care put her body in the hole in the ground. Teddiursa came to stand next to me, before Macka started filling up the hole. The entire time, Teddiursa not taking his eyes off his mother. When the last of the dirt was finally thrown back over the quickly made grave, I went around the clearing picking up all the stones I could, placing them over the mother bears grave.

"So you'll always know where she is, and you can come see her". The Teddiursa looked at me, before tilting its head a little, then giving a sad nod.

We stayed side by side next to the grave site for a little while longer, before I decided it was time to start talking.

"Your going to be on your own now, I know how scary that can be. I was alone once too, and it made me really sad, then it made me angry". Teddiursa looked up at me, with a confused look on it's saddened face.

"If you want, you can come with me. When your feeling alone, It's best to have people you can turn to, for when you want to let your feelings out, or just to feel happy and light. I know right now you're sad, and that's fine too, but if you want I'd like to help you through this moment, if you'll let me?"

The Teddiursa just continued to look at me, like it was thinking heavily, then It looked towards the newly made grave with a look of confusion, almost like it was scared, though it had plenty of reasons to be both right now.

It then pointed at It's mothers resting place. "Urs, Teddy Ursa!"
    I give him a nod with a small smile on my face, though it was no doubt tinged with a little sadness and melancholy.

"We'll visit her whenever you want little buddy, and if we're ever on an adventure, I promise you well take stops and come back when you want to say hello again."

He looks back to the grave, before his face sets firmly. He quickly rubs his eyes, getting rid of any remaining tears, before with clear resolution, giving me a firm nod.

I give him a nod of my own, before looking to Macka to make sure everything that needs to be taken care of has been. With a quick confirmation from Macka, I start to turn in place, looking in the direction of home.

"Lets go little buddy. There's a whole world waiting for us out there, and I promise you, It's going to be amazing!"

-----
    A/N: You may now proceed to shit talk my shit writing. I promise I wont cry. *Crosses fingers behind back*

Joking aside, Ive never really written anything before, at least not since Highschool, and even then I was never particularly good. Yet I do love me some stories!
    I constantly have ideas as well, stories of my own making in my head, for a whole bunch of fandoms, yet I've never tried writing anything down cuz I figured I'd never get anywhere with them.

However, of all the fandoms running around in my head, Pokemon seems like the easiest to write about, or at least keep track of what the hell is going on. I've already got the first arc planned out, and just need to put words to the page. Figured I'll release a chapter every other day, see if anyone is interested. Even if nobody is, at the very least I wanna prove that I can actually write something, even if It's not done very well. If It's a dead story, Ill just get past the first arc, then see what else I can write about. If people are actually interested I'll plan out further arcs and stick with it.

No doubt there are plenty of spelling mistakes, I haven't been to sleep yet, and It's 11am. Why do I do this to myself? Should I stay up and power through, or just go to sleep? Ah, fuck it. We'll see what happens XD

Also I'm pretty sure I got my speech marks mixed up a few times on where to put them on the end of the sentence, my bad. Again, tired.

Also, also... whatever. If the MC or the actual intention of the story looks a little skin and bones like, I did notice that, and will be sure to provide information on what's going to happen in future chapters.

3. Aureus

Aureus Hylic

Ursaluna when

4. Smurfpapa

Smurfpapa Verified Blue

Watched. Into the pile it goes.

BlueRanger O-Doom and thawsta like this.
  5. Gtopia

After heavy discussions on other sites, I've tentatively given a 'yes' to the Ursaluna evolution. Not for a long while yet though.
    Lol I feel ya buddy XD

6. Threadmarks: Chapter 2 - I thought I was the scary one! WTF!
    Gtopia

Chapter 2

I lay awake in bed, unable to go to sleep. Completely understandable of course, I'm going on my very own Pokemon adventure tomorrow. I'll finally live out every persons fantasy! If anyone says going on a Pokemon adventure means nothing to them, they're a fucking liar and I'll sue. I'll sue them all!

I'd been preparing with my new partner for the past 3 months to get ready for my journey, and while I'm raring to get started, that wont make the day come any quicker. While most of the kids had already left months ago, I wasn't the last one to leave. A few were staying a little while longer just to be that extra bit more prepared.

While for the vast majority of kids, the journey isn't going to be very long. Some kid's wont have the stomach for it, the patience, or simply the desire. Which is all completely fine of course. A kids journey isn't about taking on the gym leaders, cutting down ace-trainers before taking on the league with the power of friendship and this gun they found named 'Pikachu, destroyer of worlds'.

No, It's about tradition, as well as a bit of a survival test. After all, this worlds human history doesn't go back nearly as far as my old worlds did, however all information people could find even from as far back as a few centuries, painted it as a tough world to live in. Nowadays, while life is a lot more safe, at least in regards to the wilds, It's still important for children to prove that they can handle themselves. Not to their parents or adults, but to themselves.

Nearly all adults, no matter their life's profession, or their calling, have at least 1 badge to their name. Proof that as children, when left alone, they could handle themselves and succeed, even away from their parents.

You dont see many adults without at least 1 badge, I haven't even seen any in Pallet Town honestly. It's not like they're shunned or anything, at least not from what I can tell from adults talking anyway. It's more disappointment directed, however overtly or subtle, at said person.

After all, It's not like you have to take only one journey, or that you have to go at the age of 10. If someone doesn't beat their first gym leader on their first journey, then fair enough, they can still do a rematch after a bit of training. If for whatever reason they come back from their first journey without a badge, they're simply encouraged to give it another year or two, then head out with some extra training and research under their belt. It's not like It's incredibly hard to earn the first badge of whatever area you're in.

Growing up and moving on with life without that first badge though? It tends to close some doors. After all, who wants a quitter working for them in their business? Or someone without even the slightest bit of will? While the journey is mainly a test for people to prove to themselves what kind of person they are, It doesn't change the fact that other people can see the results as well.

No, while most people do earn themselves at least one badge, with others going on to win maybe one or two more, it's usually the trainers who are serious about making it that reach past past the 4 badge stage.

As I lay up wide awake in bed, I look to my side. There, resting on his own pillow, is my partner, my starter, and hopefully one day, my flagbearer.

Teddiursa, or as we came to agree on, Major, In relation to Ursa Major. He didn't quite understand, though I managed to get across the meaning eventually, and he was pretty happy with it. After all, while He's only a baby bear today, I promised him that wouldn't be forever. One day he's stand taller than anyone else. That he'd have the strength to do whatever he wanted. Given the determined expression that overcame his face, he's as invested in his growth now as I am.

We spent the last few months mainly training him up from scratch, so that he'd have the energy and the determination to do actual training. Mainly some strength and speed training. Tying weights to him, not for too long of course, just for certain intervals in his daily training. While his little legs made running a little difficult for him, I started training him by having him slowly increases the force of his legs when running so that eventually he could lift off from the ground in an instant in the direction he was running. That kind of half jump, half run didn't have as much focus on his stride for the length of his legs, as it did on his strength.

Something which while not that impressive, has been slowly growing everyday.

Eventually we started training on his actual moves

Now as a Normal type Pokemon, he has quite the variety of moves he can learn even pre-evolution, though most people dont try to teach their Pokemon the harder type moves until they've got a good amount of experience, or have evolved, making it easier for them to learn it if they're capable of it.

Using the Pokedex I got from Prof Oak like most of the kids in town, I was able to see what moves he already knew.

Scratch, Fury Swipes, Lick, and surprisingly enough, Metal Claw.

While not the holy grail, it's certainly enough for me considering we haven't even started our journey yet.

The two moves that I wanted to train right from the get go were Scratch and Metal Claw, given these were more than likely going to be my bread and butter for my immediate start. My early game if you would.

The strength training will obviously help with the power of the moves, yet the best boon to come from my initial training regimen had to be that initial speed/jump boost move Major had already gotten the hang of. With that, paired with a move on top of it, I felt that would give us a nice easy combo move going into our journey.

I'd wanted to get started training on other moves I knew Major could learn right away, yet I knew if I wanted to actually make Major a credible threat later on, these formative days of training were going to be important. Rather than trying to teach Major a bunch of moves at the start, it would be best to increase his base stats while also getting him used to the few moves he already knew. Given the start of a persons journey would hardly see them facing monumental challenges, only knowing a few moves before heading off was hardly a big deal.

While I'd wanted a Nidoran as my starting Pokemon, after spending so much time with Teddiursa, and seeing the raw determination in him to grow stronger, I honestly feel like this is a great outcome. I'd alraedy grown rather attached to my fluffy murder machine.

Smiling at Major as he continues to doze, I think back to the corpse of that Ursaring. While it was no doubt a strong Pokemon, it had still died.

'That's not going to happen to Major, not if I can help it!'

After all, It's quite well known that a Pokemon can go further with a trainer than it ever could alone, and vice versa. Trainers grow stronger with their Pokemon as well.

'Major is no doubt going to be an absolute unit by the end of this circuit, let alone years from now after I've battled in a whole bunch of them.'

Though hopefully my next Pokemon wont be found in such a tragic scenario. A sweet battle and catch would be nice, though I have to wonder how common it was for trainers to find Pokemon weak and vulnerable, then catch them like that. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that method mind you. If I hadn't come across Major with his mother already dead, no doubt the encounter would of ended differently... or maybe not. While Macka would of let me flop around if it came to me dealing with a Pidgey or something else, if a powerful Pokemon like Ursaring came roaring at me he no doubt would of flattened her instantly with extreme prejudice.

Maybe its a good thing over all the mother was already dead when we got there.

Thinking about Major made me recall the almost funny situation of my arriving home with my brand new partner.

When I arrived home with a Teddiursa my family were surprisingly shocked. I expected some surprise of course, a Teddiursa is hardly the usual Pidgey or Rattata that a lot of kids get. I guess a lot of the surprise came from the fact It's well known just how rare it was for an Ursaring and It's baby to be separated. When they initially started getting worried about a potential mother going on a rampage and wrecking the towns shit before being put down, I tried to relax them by explaining what had happened.

It did not in fact calm anyone down.

My brother worriedly asked if they should go see Oak right then and there even though the night sky was already closing in, but my mother, the more experienced of the two, stated it would be fine to wait till morning. There's no rush since even the truly powerful Pokemon hesitate to just randomly attack settlements since there tended to be so many high level Pokemon attached to trainers.

What had attacked the Ursaring no doubt came out of that fight with It's own wounds, since it didn't immediately gobble up the baby or try eating the corpse. The idea that it could of just been some cruel Pokemon hunting for sport no doubt lingering in the silence.

While I had in fact encountered Major just before noon, I had spent the remaining daylight hours just walking around the forest in the general direction of home. I didn't have to spend to much of my focus on keeping aware of my surroundings, since Macka was with us. Though no doubt mom would still be pissed at me anyway for letting my guard down in such dangerous territory. Ignoring the fact that with Macka besides us, we were probably the scariest things in the forest anyway. No doubt even if whatever killed the Ursaring showed up, Macka could no doubt take care of it.

I wanted the extra time to speak some more with my new Pokemon, even just walking with it no doubt would help to increase our bond. Anytime he needed to rest his little legs as well, Id make sure we sat down and rested. I even shared some of my food with him, getting the first genuinely none sad expression off him all day. His genuine befuddlement from the huge meat sandwich I halved with him, followed by his happy nomming was rather adorable. While it took a while to get back to the outskirts of town, I dont think he would be up for riding my shoulders or being carried just yet, and the atmosphere didn't really lend itself to me putting him in the poke ball just yet. Figured I'd just do a quick catch and summon when we get home.

While he was still shaken up, we did manage to get somewhere with communicating. While I'd still do the same thing again as regards to spending some time bonding with my new Pokemon, I probably should of gotten home earlier. Ah well, all's well that ends well... when it comes to horrific mother murdering anyway.

While it had taken him a bit longer than I originally guessed it would to settle in, he had come around eventually. Adam's gentle patience no doubt winning him over the quickest. While he got along with my mother fine, and Jaime-Lee after she learned she couldn't just cuddle tackle the 'Teddy!', there was still a bit of a gap there, one I hoped would close in time.

Meeting Oak the next day was a little weird. Usually seeing the older Prof was pretty chill, he'd always have something to say to the kids about the wonderful world of Pokemon. About what adventures and mysteries we'd all no doubt face on our own journeys. He was always such a happy dude, with a big ol' smile on his face. I genuinely think this was the first time I'd ever seen him with a grim look on his mug.

He explained to me that the scene I encountered was something most trainers dont see until well into their journey. After all, the Pokemon around most settlements tend to be the weaker kind, or more docile, even friendly in some instances. A fully grown and evolved Ursaring with a cub of its own? That is a powerful Pokemon that had no business being as close to a town as it was. Though Oak suspected the fight might of actually been going on for a while. Given the description of the wounds on the dead Ursaring that I described, he believed there was a high chance it could of been a flying Pokemon, in which case the Ursaring could of been hunted for days. Given just how powerful an Ursaring is, no doubt the flying Pokemon spent most of their encounter in the sky stalking it, waiting for the more opportune times to strike. Ursaring knowing it was being hunted, no doubt tried getting closer to civilisation, where it's safer for weaker Pokemon. Pokemon like her baby Teddiursa.

Of course Oak made sure to point out this was all speculation at this point, but considering it was Oak of all people speculating, I'm just gonna go ahead and take his words at face value unless I see evidence otherwise.

Oak saying that the stronger a trainer gets, the more confident they tend to feel when exploring, going further and further out into the forests and the deserts and mountains. Into areas controlled more by Pokemon than people, looking for greater challenges, and greater Pokemon to capture. It's not so much a surprise to see dead Pokemon even in little places like Pallet town, after all Pokemon hunt Pokemon. That's just nature. It is rarer though to see dead strong Pokemon this close to where people live.

Either way, Oak thanked me for coming to him (even if it was mainly my mom who pushed me into going) and told me he'd get in contact with the nearest ranger to give the forest's around Pallet Town a thorough sweep, though he hoped the other Pokemon had moved on already and suspected it might of.

While the Professor was no nurse Joy, he did give my new Pokemon a look over. He was clearly happy to be inspecting a more uncommon Pokemon, at least compared to the regular fare found in the South-West of Kanto. After giving me a general list of the food and berry typing's I'd need to buy to keep my Teddiursa in tip-top shape, he sent me on my way with orders not to be a stranger.

Nice guy that professor Oak, you wouldn't believe he'd made a mountain of corpses during the war, and was probably the most feared man in the known world, or at least in Johto.

Especially Johto.

One night when me mom and Adam were relaxing outside watching a meteor shower, curled up on cushioned chairs, she shared a funny story about our happy and kind Professor from the war. According to her, one of the funniest things she'd ever seen in the war was when a fellow Kanto trainer was being pressured on the battlefield, but no one could spare any help since the entire fight devolved into a slugfest between both sides. She watched out of the corner of her eye as said trainer, after losing 2 of his Pokemon, and knowing he was going to die soon, decided to effect a completely happy and relieved face mid battle, something that was impressive looking back since two members of his family just died in front of him mom said. While looking behind the enemy, he screamed out 'Oak! You made it!'

Looking away from a battle, especially the higher form of combat that expert trainers engage in is usually a death sentence, but not only did it work, it worked better than expected. His opponent spun around in sheer animal terror, along with a few allies and enemies close enough to hear his exclamation. When the enemy saw there was nothing there, or coming in the distance, they realised their mistake, but of course by then it was too late.

She laughed herself hoarse in the retelling.

"Make no mistake, it was a stupid thing to do. He was panicking, and yes, he thought he was going to die, but there were plenty of ways to turn defeat into victory, or even try and escape. Pulling such a childish trick, something you'd expect from kids playing on the street, just went to show how that man was still inexperienced, though that's no fault of his own. The league was sending more and more mid level trainers to the higher end fights, due to the death rates on the front lines.

Yet for all it was stupid, and childish, and downright cliche, it fucking WORKED!"

Here she took another wheezing laugh, though it was evident to both me and my brother that she was more strained now than when she was before, at the start of this story.

Mom had always been on the more stoic side of things. While she was never a touchy-feely kinda mom, it wasn't like she was a robot. You could still tell when she was happy, or sad. While she was laughing and wiping away a tear from one of her eyes, I dont think I'd seen her this sad in a while. Not since the anniversary of dad's death anyway. Though she always gets sad around that time, this was just some random family night, which is what made it more apparent I believe.

"It was a complete shot in the dark, but the reason it worked so well was Fear. With a capital F. The Johtians were so scared of a single man, that his name alone won us the battle. Can you even imagine that?

Now the man just studies in that lab of his, while teaching kids the wonders of Pokemon. It's like he's a different person. Though I suppose we're all different from how we were back then."

As my brother simply brought her an extra comforter so she could relax further into her chair, earning a soft smile from our mother, I wondered to myself what was wrong with me.

I'd just seen my mother have a mini episode, saw her sadness, maybe even a hint of regret, heard a story about a lot of people dying to what amounted to a child's prank, and the only thing I could feel was Jealousy.

Trained, veteran, expert trainers. Some of the most skilled and most powerful fuckers on the continent, and hearing a mans name caused them to collectively shit their pants so hard it lead to their deaths. I feel a tingle down my spine just thinking about it.

I'm going to have that. The fear. The awe. The respect.

One day I'm gonna have it all. I'd never felt so motivated before in my life. Id always wondered if this was it. Reborn into a new world, one from my childhood. Would I go on some generic adventure, make some friends and then lose with grace and dignity near the end and learn some lesson, before going on with the rest of my new life?

No, fuck that shit. You can have real power in this world, actual personal fucking power, and instead of a government that tried to limit you, they're basically holding the fucking doors open! Encouraging people to go out there and live and love and grow strong in this wonderful crazy fucked up world of ours.

Of course there's only one way I can answer that. By accepting the invitation to be the very best!

Suddenly I'm not so restless, I'm not tossing and turning. With the thought of power and fear rolling around in my mind, I finally settle for the first time all night, and fall off into a gentle sleep. Though that whole living a nice life with friends and loved ones didn't seem too bad either.
    -------------------------
    Standing outside the pathway to route 1 with my family, I cant help but think of the difference between this and the send off from 3 months ago.

The whole town had practically showed up to send of the children, with even Prof Oak there to give some last minute advise to those who wanted it, along with a warm send off speech.

While I'd seen a lot of kids I'd known, given there's only one school, and we all grew up together, I only really gave out a few words to some of the more extroverted kids in class, the ones who wanna be friends with everyone and will smile at you until you give in. While not necessarily alone, I was a lot more caustic than a lot of kids liked, leading me to being if not alone, then acceptably distant.

We all still talked, and they even included me in a lot of the stuff they wanted to do, but for the most part they were okay with me being by myself when I wanted to be. I'd seen them off with a bored wave, and that was that.

Now, 3 months later, It was just me and my family.

My brother was the first to say goodbye, with a quick hair ruffle, and some low words of wisdom.

"Remember, there's no shame in backing down when you know you're outmatched. Major isn't just fighting for you, he's your responsibility, so make sure you treat that bond with the consideration it needs"

While I didn't know the whole story, It wasn't too hard to put together. My brother was definitely one of the good trainers. On his first circuit he made it to the initial 256 trainers. He was no doubt going to aim for the league on a later run, but he cut his 2nd circuit short halfway through and returned home. Surprising, but not too worrying, plenty of trainers come across hurdles that take time to heal and overcome. Yet Adam only returned with one Pokemon.

He told me he released the rest of his team , but I doubt that was the whole story. While he no doubt did release everyone else, the Pokemon he returned with, his Fearow, was not his starter.

Nobody just releases their starter. No, the only thing that makes sense is that his partner died, and it broke his spirit. While he and his Fearow are still as close as ever, He hasn't taken a new Pokemon since.

Though the most confusing part of the entire thing was moms reaction, while she was initially as sad as I was to see him home in such spirits, when I'd gone to bed they got to talking. While I couldn't hear anything, I did manage to hear moms bloodthirsty screaming. It wasn't directed at Adam, but more I think at what Adam had told her. Something about his story had enraged her to the point that I'd never seen such emotion coming from mom before. Mom ended up leaving the house for the night, and wasn't back until noon the next day. She walked right into the kitchen and hugged Adam, saying she'll take it from there.

Both Adam and I were equally shocked by moms unusual showing of affection, though after locking eyes over her shoulder he just gave me a slight shake, so I ignored it.

These words of wisdom he's leaving me with now are putting a few of the puzzle pieces together. Adam fought another trainer, a trainer that I'm guessing was above Adams weight class, and his Poliwhirl died.

"Dont worry bro, given what a monster Major already is, its other people that will have to do the running I think!"

"Ursa!"

I gave a quick head scratch to my partner who was riding my shoulder while he gave a serious nod.

Looking at my brothers sad smile and calm eyes, I make sure to give him as serious a nod as I can, hopefully conveying that I heard him, loud and clear. Satisfied, my brother stands aside letting mom get my full attention, along with a sniffling Jaime-Lee.

Giving a quick smirk and messing up my sisters blonde locks, earning a scowl and helicopter arms, I ask why she's so upset.

"Because dummy" Your leaving me! Why do you have to go?"

Now gently grabbing her hand, I try to impress upon her just how important my next words are.

"Jay, I might be leaving, but I promise, I'm not leaving you. I'll ring home from every Poke centre I found, and I'll stay on the video call so long each time you get sick of me!"

Still sniffling, but not looking like I shat on the corpse of her favorite Pokemon, she asks why I cant just wait a few years then we can go on our journey together.

"When it's time for you to go on your journey, you're not gonna want you big brother there to ruin it, trust me." Giving her a smile to try and liven up her mood a bit more. It doesn't appear to be working.

Reaching out and stroking her hair, this time not earning any smacked hands for it, I try to be as honest as I can.

"This is something I have to do alone Jay, and I cant say why. Just know that I'll think of you everyday, and if you ever need me, I'll come running back so fast it'll make a Rapidash jealous!"

This time I did ear a smile. I gave her a kiss on the cheek, with some final words to be good for mom, though to try and annoy Adam into getting out the house more. This time she did laugh, and made the promise with a smile on her face, with Adam giving a fond sigh behind her.

Mom put Jaime-Lee down then moved us both a little ways away. While she had her usual face on, I could see something that looked a little uncertain in her eyes.

"Mom? Are you okay?" Giving me a long look, she let out a slight sigh before responding.

"You look a great deal like him you know".

I didn't need to ask who she was talking about. Both the tone of her voice, and the fact there were only 2 other people out there who looked like me giving me the answer. Well, one other person now.

"You're his son, but you're my son too. I'm sorry to say that also has some drawbacks." She looks away now, towards the start of route 1 while gathering her words. "Not everyone out there is going to be kind to you my son, some of them might be apathetic, others might just be assholes. However, some might hate you. Maybe because that's just the type of person they are, or maybe because of who you are. Where you come from."

Here she slowly looks back then stares at my brother, who is busy entertaining Jaime-Lee. The look on her face... I've never seen it before. I dont think I could call it anything other than guilt. Crushing guilt. Moms face wasn't made to be expressive, yet now... It's like she couldn't be closed off even if she wanted to.

"Or who your parents are".

"If you were just going to do the standard journey like most kids, I wouldn't worry. Yet your desire to be a trainer and grow strong is obvious. Your going to give it your all. Which means victory, and accomplishment, and even happiness. It also means struggle, and pain, and loss. I dont want you to suffer Michael, and I dont want you to suffer because of me."

I give my mom a raised eyebrow as I digest everything she just said. While a lot of it was too cryptic to interpret, I can still understand her general fear of her son going into the wide world, with everything that entails. Both good and bad.

After a few seconds, I walk up and give my mom a hug. I know it catches her by surprise, though after a few seconds, she tentatively wraps her own arms around me then proceeds to give me a gentle squeeze.

"I know your worried mom, but you shouldn't be. I've been waiting for this day my entire life. While I dont know everything that's heading my way, I know I can handle it. I wont be alone either, I've got Major with me."

"Teddy!"

Mom gives a gentle chuckle at that, especially because he's partly inside the impromptu hug as well, seeing as he's on my shoulder.

"I hear your warning as well mom. I know the world isn't as safe as people want it to be. While I cant say I'll never be hurt, you can trust me when I say, that if someone bleeds me first-"

I let go of mom and take a step back. Looking into her eyes, I give her a smile. Not my normal smile, the smile I've had to give out everyday. Not my bored, or amused, or even sarcastic smile. No, I give her the truest smile I've ever given.

"- Ill bleed them better."

Moms eyes widen as she takes me in, and for the first time, I think she actually see's me. I haven't lied to her, or Adam or Jaime-Lee. When I laugh and love and argue and play with them, that is me. It's who I am. It's just not all of me. Honestly, while I've always been a little dark, Ive always thought of myself as just generically dark, kinda like some goth edge-lord without the fashion sense or the need to be disagreeable all the time.

Yet when I heard that story from mom. The one where people died, and a battle that should of been a loss was instead a win, simply because a name inspired such fear into the hearts of even expert trainers? It was then I knew that's the only thing I have truly ever wanted, above everything else.

I'm going to get there as well. Yes, with the power of friendship, between me and my partner, along with the team I'll have. Maybe even with fellow trainers I meet along the way who I'll grow close to.

With training, experience, a bit of ingenuity, and a pinch of luck, I Michael Warden am going to make it to the top. It will take more than that though, it will take the willpower to do what is necessary to achieve said goal. The world isn't always kind, which means I cant be either.

Sometimes I'll need to be strong, other times smart. Yet sometimes, what will be needed isn't strength, or intelligence, but cruelty instead. Because that's just how the world works. My previous world, this world, and no doubt the next as well. I am ready to be what I need to be to stand on top. I dont know when I'll get there. If it will be this circuit, or another, but I will make it. I know I will

Moms face slowly takes on a small smile of her own, and after placing her hand on my unoccupied shoulder, she has only one thing to say to me.

"Good."

After final goodbye to my siblings, along with a longer than I would of liked hug with Jaime-Lee, I finally being my adventure.

I have the standard Items most new trainers have. An expanded backpack, filled with food for both me and Major, with even some generic chow that most Pokemon can eat, for when I get a new Pokémon and dont have its preferred food on hand.

I have camping gear, wellies, torch, matches, and a first aid kit along with two health potions.

I got a new outfit for my journey, a white short sleeve top, along with a pair of blue shorts and black trainers. Given the constant heat in Kanto, tops and shorts are no doubt a mainstay of most people who are actively out and about in the region. Of course I've still got some heavier duty clothes and a coat for when necessary. It's not hot everywhere in Kanto after all, or all the time for that matter.

Further on down the road, I come across my first surprise. Is it a Pokemon? A wild biker gang member? A Zapdos perhaps?

"Professor Oak! What are you doing here?"

Michael encountered a wild Samuel Oak. He used greeting, it was super effective!

Professor Oak jusst smile at me, while putting away his Pokedex.

"I knew you were going on your journey today Michael, so I thought it only right to see you off. I did for everyone else after all" He says with a quiet chuckle.

"Heh, thanks Professor, you didn't have to but I appreciate it."

"So, how are you feeling young man, nervous? Excited? scared? All of the above?" His warm tone does as it usually does, and sets me at ease. After all I've known this man my entire life, in both lives at that. He's always been someone I've enjoyed spending time with in this life. Especially since this version is vastly more interesting than any of his predocessors, though maybe thats just because I'm actually able to interact with him. If I'd been able to talk to the Oak from the show and ask about his life, I'm sure I'd of been just as interested.

"Honestly, I just cant wait to get started. I've been waiting for this moment my entire life ya know?"

"Ah yes, I was much the same myself young man, when I was your age. No doubt many children wish the days would go by faster so they can have their own journeys, that rambunctious sister of yours as well no doubt." The big smile on his face tells me she's got him wrapped around her finger, just like the rest of the adults.

With a roll of my eyes, I cant help responding.

"It will no doubt be a dark day in Kanto history when Jay starts her first circuit, may Arceus have mercy on those fools, for she will have none".

I dont know if it's the words, the subject matter, or just the spooky tone I said it in, but professor Oak's laugh is truly gut busting.

As I walk a few steps ahead of the older man, looking out towards my oncoming adventure, I cant help but turn back and ask a simple question.

"Any final tidbits of wisdom you can share prof?"

With his lab-coat on, along with a ruffled shirt, and pants with some stains on them, he doesn't look like much more than a friendly uncle here to see a kid off.

Pfft, yh, and I'm Godzilla.

"In my time, I've seen a lot of trainers. Some good, some bad, most of them nothing special." With a whimsical sigh, and a fond look down the path, you wouldn't think the kind professor just dissed millions of people. Wow, not gonna lie that's kinda savage. Nice.

"Yet the one thing I can say without reservation that pushed trainers to be better than they were the day before, is drive. The drive to be the best pageant winner, the drive to be the best Pokemon boxing trainer, the drive to be the best Ranger. Drive Michael, is the most important factor of a trainers life. Normally I simply tell children to go out and have fun, I can say that because most of them are, like the average trainer, nothing special."

Ok, double damn. Fuck those kids I guess.

With a slow incredulous smile taking over my face, even as I feel my eyebrows climbing, I let Professor Oak carry on uninterrupted.

"They're gonna go out there, and they're going to have fun, which fills my heart up with true peace. That's what life's about, living it to your best. I'm proud of the young adults out there who have listened to me, and taken inspiration from me. The children who I taught, and who taught me in turn"

Then he slowly turned his head to look at me out the corner of his eye.

"Your best, and their best, are not the same thing."

Now fully turning to face me, he carry's on, his tone no longer calm and soothing, even though the words he's been using previously were hardly kind.

"I have been in this town for decades, and the number of trainers with actual potential in all those years can be counted on 2 hands, and still have fingers left over. Watching you Michael, seeing your responses in class. Hearing your questions on class field days. Just being able to get to know you better, has led me to believe that unlike the rest of the chaff, you might stand a chance of going the distance. Maybe."

My mouth tightening slightly at that last bit, I still keep my mouth shut. Partly because he hasn't made his point yet I feel, and partly cuz the cold look on his face makes me want to check if I wore my brown pants today. Seriously, what the fuck my dude.

The worst part is that I genuinely believe he meant every word he said before, about everyone having fun and going on adventures. He's happy for them. He loves the kids of Pallet Town the same way any older man loves those he's been able to inspire and help to teach.

Yet It's in this moment that I realise, that while Samuel Oak loves the people of Pallet Town, he does not respect them.

"You have to push harder Michael. You might of heard caution is the best way to handle your oncoming problems, but it isn't. You need to push. Against everything, against everyone. When other people are faced with a mountain in their paths, they go around it, a few go over it. You need to go through it. The moment you take a step back, the moment you let fear or caution guide your actions, you'll lose something very important, and you will never get it back. Be bold Michael, take refuge in audacity, only then will you make it to where your destined to arrive."

Sweating, knees slightly shaking I take in some calming breaths. Professor Oak turns aside and starts slowly walking away, arms behind his back.

Not being able to help myself, I call after him.

"And where is it that I'm destined to arrive Professor!?"

Oak stops in the middle of the path, then slowly his head turns.

I hit the floor so hard I'm surprised my knees dont instantly dig holes into the ground. There's a presence, a weight bearing down on my shoulders.

Major is on the ground as well, though that had more to do with surprise then anything, he's instantly on his feet and standing in front of me with a growl reverberating out the chest.

As I struggle to lift my head, I can see the side of Oaks face as he looks at me out the corner of his eye.

This isn't the face of the beloved Professor Oak of Pallet Town, adored by the people, and the children he had a hand in nurturing. It's not the face of Samuel Oak from a few moment before, one who has expectations of the world, and how he expects different people to react.

This is the Champion, the person who crushed every elite trainer who came before him on his way to the title, and brought low a country near singlehandedly.

With the lips on the side of his face reaching high, and his eyes smiling yet devoid of anything remotely human in them, Oak answers my question, with more bite than I expected.

"Why, at my feet of course."

The weight leaves almost immediately, and then Professor Oak gives me a smile, again one I can tell is sincere, then moseys on back up the path.

As I struggle to get my breath back, I cant help but wonder what the fuck just happened. Not just from the personality deviation, since I expected Oak to be a bit more, well, more, since this isn't some kids show on the TV.

What the hell was that weight he brought to bare, it felt like heavy air had settled over me.

"Ursa?"

As I look down at Major, I give his head a quick pat, with an accompanying smile.

"Dont worry buddy, I'm fine. Just gimme a sec, Ok?"

With a worried nod, Major simply settles next to me.

As I look back at the retreating form of one Samuel Oak, the only thing I feel is greed. I reach out a hand in front of me, till it aligns perfectly with the fading back of the scariest mother fucked I'd ever seen, then I close said hand into a fist.

"One day. I'll get there one day old man, just watch me."
    ---------------------

A/N: Okay, first off all, please dont hate me. While I would love to see some feedback, I'm hoping it's not everyone screaming at me about butchering Oak's character.

I apparently decided to get pretty loose with the guy. Didn't see that coming.

I have no fucking clue where that Oak just came from. Like most people I was simply going to make him the wizened older teacher. Maybe give him a bit more character than he gets from the game or shows, but then suddenly, BAM!

Scary Oak is born!

Fucking seriously, I mapped out arc 1 and Oak wasn't a part of it at all, he wasn't even going to be in this chapter, but then I figured why the hell not have him right as the MC is going on his adventure, he can give him some sage advice then send him off.

Well, he gave him something I guess lol XD.

Now, Oak isnt a liar. He's not two faced. He's just as kind as he is in the shows, and most fics. He still loves Pokemon, and children in general. He is, at least when not at war, a solidly good person. It's just that, with the history of this world, and the war, I got the sense that there would be more to Oak then meets the eye. That instead of another Iroh type character, what if he was actually something different.

This Oak, while a good person, while still a nice person, is still a dick. He respects strength. He acknowledges people without strength, he can love and care for and like people without strength, but he will not respect you. You will not be worth as much in his eyes if you are a weak person, even if you are a good person.
    -
    Now while Michael thinks he's been handling his true thoughts and feelings pretty well, while he thinks he's been able to hide his darker thoughts and feelings, he has... for the most part. Oak sussed him out when he was even younger then he is now, and for the most part kept an eye on him out of curiosity.

His mom also knew.

While Michael thinks he's surprised her here, he didn't. She was only caught off guard that he decided to open up to her so openly. He's not as smooth as he thinks clearly XD.

His mom is obviously okay with a darker child, simply because of how she's been shaped. She fought in the war along with her husband, who died. She's killed, she's nearly been killed, she's seen the best and worse of humanity. Her conclusion? She'd take a strong but cruel child over a weak but kind one.

Now of course she isn't perfect, she's looking at it through the lens of a soldier. Someone who saw all that shit that happened, and is terrified of it happening again, but this time her children being old enough to get involved. Also like a lot of animal mothers in nature now that I think about it, who want strong kids simply because life is hard.

Now of course there's peace, having a strong or weak child doesn't matter as much. She knows this. She also knows Kanto and Johto were perfectly fine neighbours until all of a sudden they weren't.

It's not like she wouldn't love her children if they were soft, she absolutely would. She's simply be so much more scared on a general basis simply cuz she knows her kids would get hurt harder in life.

She's also got a soft spot herself as well, since she doesn't have the strength to go all 'Tiger mom' and train them, and force them to toughen up. Besides, her first 2 kids are strong, the 2nd more so than the first she suspects. Though given what happened to her first, at the part she inadvertently played in it, all she feels there is guilt and regret.

Also, Michael is an unreliable narrator. Him saying that Oak brought a country low all by himself is an exaggeration, whether he believes it or not.

... The truly scary thing, is that while an exaggeration, it's not that far off the truth either. Lets just say that many a Johto warroom screamed bloody murder about Oak.

7. lywrin

lywrin Making the rounds.

are you planning on using in-game battle items? Like choice band? Because eviolite Ursaring could be really scary until you get ursaluna, and honestly might be scarier overall.

!Renzie0 and Gtopia like this.
  8. Gtopia

Probably not no, since Items have always seemed like such a 'game only' thing.

!Renzie0 likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Chapter 3 - Smackdown Vs Paw!
    Gtopia

Okay, first things first.

Oak's a fucking Dragonite in human skin, confirmed!

Second of all, for all that I'm a pretty chill dude I can apparently crap my pants in fear... okay thankfully not. Close call though.

As I'm walking along the path of route 1 I cant help looking down at Major, who has elected to walk with me instead of riding my shoulders.

When Oak did, whatever the hell it is that he did, I felt like I was drowning in air, even though I knew that wasn't a thing. It was like the air, which should be weightless, just randomly decided 'fuck it, lets squish this motherfucker!'

Yet Major barely even reacted. I'm not too sure what that means. Are Pokemon unaffected by whatever the fuck it was that Oak pulled off? Perhaps they're simply a lot more resistant than humans when it comes to shaking it off?

Either way It's good to know that even in the future, even if I am weighed down by some mystical force, my Pokemon can still defend me. Speaking of.

"Thanks Major, for jumping in front of me back there."

The little bear looks up at me with a small frown on his cute face.

"Ursa, Teddi urs urs!"

Heh, couldn't of put it better myself. It's what partners do.

With a smirk on my face I give my starter a fierce nod, followed up by a fist bump.

Travelling down route 1 is rather intense. Not for any particular reason, mostly for what it means.

I'm on my own Pokemon journey. Walking past the idyllic trees swaying in the breeze, with a shining sun giving the day that perfect temperature for walking. It's almost too perfect if I'm being honest.

I spot several Pokemon scurrying about along the edges of where the path meets the forest. Mostly Rattata's and a few Zigzagoons, with some Pidgey's in the tree's. While I'd love to be able to go all gamer mode and start throwing Pokeballs like an absolute madman, I cant. I have to be able to look after the Pokemon I carry with me, and send any extras back home. Yet It's not like Professor Oaks ranch, which that lucky git Ash got. Mom made it clear, that with the space available in the garden, the communal pond (more like a tiny lake) and what she's actually willing to commit money wise, she'll only let me send back four Pokemon.

Even then It's not a guaranteed four. Which makes sense, after all four Snorlax's would in no way be equal to four Pidgey's when it came to upkeep. No, that's a loose four spots back home, though I'm gonna try and not need them. I want my main team to be my focus, at least for my first circuit. I can focus on B-teams afterwards.

Which means I'm gonna have to be careful with what I catch. I already know one Pokemon that I will be getting, one of the best in all the Pokemon games, at least in my opinion. I am in no way allowing personal preference to bai me here. No sir!.
    Along with one I'm hoping I can get, though it will be tricky due to how the event in the games happens. I cant see it being a perfect one-to-one scenario, and even if it is, that will have it's own problems seeing as how we're not in some childish game world.

Nidoran was my initial starter, at least he was going to be. Yet I dont think I'd be able to stop myself if I do run into one. Nidoking is just the best!

With a happy sigh leaving my mouth, along with dreams of future Pokemon shining in my eyes, I almost dont see the swaggering form of the kid heading towards me.

"Hey, you know the rules! Two trainers have to battle when crossing paths!"

Which is absolutely not the rules. Hell, there are no rules saying that trainers have to battle at all.

I give the kid a quick once over. He looks around my age, maybe a year or so older, though given my build I'm already taller than he is. He's wearing shorts, a short bright yellow top, and he's got scuffed knees with a bandage on his face.

"... You alright mate?"

He loses that spunky smug look for a second before his cheeks flush. Anger or embarrassment, I'ts hard to tell. Hard to care as well honestly.

"Oi, dont try to wiggle your way out of this battle! Lets go."

I shrug my shoulders while giving Major a quick nod.

My partner takes a few steps to get in front of me before settling into an aggressive stance, claws pointed out beside him, leaning forward a little in preparation for take off.

"One on one, Standard challenge rules?" Basically meaning the standard rules apply, plus a wager. While I dont know if this kid has a badge of not, I obviously dont, which means the highest the wager can be is 100 dollars.

He gives a nod before sending out his Pokeball, releasing a Pidgey. Though It's easy to tell this isn't like your normal everyday Pidgey. It's feathers are shinier, it's a bit bigger, and it's eyes instantly lock onto Major. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this Pidgey was close to evolution.

The kid crouches down to pick up a pebble, before yeeting that bad boy up high.

While waiting for it to come down, I thought i'd be more nervous. Though I suppose one of the pros of spending some extra time training at home with Major is showing itself. We weren't just training his body, his base stats if you will. Nor were we just focusing on his moves, and improving the power and efficiency of them.

No, we were also training tactics. We couldn't do too much of course, since we dont have all that much experience, yet the one thing we were able to train for was this moment. The starting bell.

As the pebble came close to the ground, I could see Major tensing his muscles, both in his legs and arms. As soon as the rock hit the ground, words were instantly leaving my opponents mouth.

"Pidgey, use Pec-

I didn't need to say anything of course. While a true battle would involve a whole bunch of back and forth between trainer and Pokemon, we managed to execute our opening move quite well. Unless I state otherwise, or give Major a signal that we're gonna do something else, Major is to instantly leap forward, using that jump move we had created and practiced with. While flying forward with great acceleration, Major is to initiate the move Metal Claw on his way to his opponent.

By the time my opponent is halfway through his order, Major has closed the gap by a large margin, and with another assisted forward leap, he starts gathering steel type energy in his claws.

The other kid instantly tries changing his order, but it was too late. Major slammed into the opposing Pidgey at high speed, well high speed for a Teddiursa, though he wouldn't of needed much of a force multiplier anyway given he went in Metal Claws first.

Though props to the Pidgey, even without his trainer instructing him, he instantly tried dodging. Mostly by trying to flap his wings and push himself simultaneously off the ground and further back. Unfortunately, he was still too low to the ground, and Major had simply gotten too close too quickly for it to matter.

While practicing, I had instructed Major to mainly aim for the throat, a weak spot for most Pokemon. With the Pidgey's reaction time though, he only managed to land Metal Claw into the Pidgey's gut. Of course, the gut tends to be a weak spot as well, especially to strong physical attacks.

Pidgey instantly went rolling, bouncing once of the ground before coming to a stop at his trainers feet. While it was still conscious, it wasn't even trying to move. Just laying on its front and breathing heavily. I'm guessing the wind had been smacked out of it, along with the damage Metal Claw had actually done, leaving it unable to fight.

"Pidgey!" The other kid instantly kneeled down next to his Pokemon before scooping him up in his arms. "Are you okay partner?" With clear concern on his face, he instantly reachedsinto his own black hole of a backpack, and pulled out a potion bottle. Giving his Pidgey a few spritzes, it instantly starts to look better. While it would still need an actual look over at a Poke centre, it at least doesn't look like it's gonna keel over at the first stiff breeze.

"It's okay buddy, you take a rest" With a red flash, the Pidgey is gone, just leaving the kid by himself. He instantly rises off his knees before scowling at me.

"That was a cheap trick!" he blurts out with clenched fists.

While I hardly expected a pat on the back, his response confuses me.

"How so? You challenge me, I crushed you, end of story. It's a tale as old as time really." With a flush creeping up his neck, he instantly starts shouting.

"You didn't even issue an attack! He just moved on his own! Did you get him from you parents or something?"

With a smirk on my face, I shut this idiot down.

"Look we both know the reason you're even here, only a few hours from Pallet town, is so you can try and catch the stragglers who didn't feel confident enough to leave with the first wave."

He instantly cringes back, losing some of his indignation.

"Yet what makes you think the only reason kids hang back is to try and work themselves up the courage to leave? Me, I just wanted some time to train with my new Pokemon. I was hardly going to go on an adventure without knowing what we could handle."

With every word, the kid just seems to lose more and more steam. Should I feel bad? After all this kid is a true beginner. He wouldn't be trying to cheese it, or trying to come up with training schedules and battle plans. he's just going out blind like most of the other kids and taking it from there.

While I still think he's an ass for throwing a tantrum instead of taking his loss on the chin, again he's just a kid.

"Look, dont take it so seriously. Everyone loses at some point-" almost everyone I think, god damn Dragon man "Just take a lesson from it and move on."

While he doesn't look too impressed, mainly cuz I'm hardly trying to sound like some cringy friendship is magic protagonist, and am instead just trying to get this encounter over with.

He sighs but grumbles he could of handled himself better. The kid gives me 100 dollars, then starts on his way to Pallet town. While I didn't recognise him, he might actually be from there, though he's probably just going to stop by there to go to Oaks lab and get his Pidgey healed up. After all there's hardly a Poke Centre everywhere, and Pallet town is closer than Viridian City.

"Ursa?"

I look down at Major who had a slightly worried frown on his face, no doubt wondering if he did something wrong.

I quickly scoop up my surprised Pokemon before laughing out loud.

"You did it Buddy! Our first ever battle, and you brought it home!" While I give him another spin and squeeze, he instantly loses the worried look, and starts chiming in with happy 'Ursa' noises.

Spirits lifted after our first win on our Pokemon journey, we carry on.

While Viridian City isn't too far off, just several days, I wanna make sure we get as much experience as we can. While I dont think we'll run into anymore trainers today, or until we get closer to Viridian, there are plenty of wild Pokemon around us.

While keeping the path mostly in our sites, we take our time in the outskirts of the forest, looking for Pokemon that are willing to fight. We run into several, defeating most handily, though surprisingly enough there was one Rattata which was annoying, simply cuz it kept speeding around Major. When he did manage to hit the Rattata, with a series of scratches at that, it was game over.

While in the fight with that kid and his Pidgey it may have looked like Major was fast, the truth is he wasn't. That forward jump is thanks to the strength Major is able to gather in his legs, leading to a fast take off. It's mainly acceleration based. In an actual battle with speed, Major is going to have to use a different strategy. Mainly his toughness letting him tank hits while waiting for the perfect time to counter.

After a few more battles it's time to camp up. We find a nice wide patch of uninterrupted grass a little ways off the path, where we set up camp.

I set out a bowl of chow for my partner, which has him happily digging into his meal. With a fond shake of my head, I head on over to the hot plate I have, cooking my own food. As I sit down, I give a big stretch.

'Today was pretty insane, well, the start of it at least.'

Thinking about Oak has me wondering about the kind of people I'll meet on this journey. Just how many strong people am I going to run into?

Thinking about mom's sad face when she looked at Adam has me wondering just how many bad people I'll be running into on this journey.

Hmm, I wonder what Team Rocket is like in this world? While Jessie and James were mostly there for comic relief, weren't they actually pretty competent? At least when it came to everything besides catching Ash's Pikachu?

Noticing my own food is ready, and that Major is still eating his own, slowing down for the last half of his bowl like he wants to actually enjoy it, I go to remove my food from the hot plate.

Which is when I hear a rustle in some bushes a little ways away.

I Stop reaching for my food and instead slowly stand facing where the noise is coming from. Major quickly joins me, standing in front of me quietly, though in the aggressive stance he's taken a liking to.

The rustling get's closer and closer, and while I'm not scared, I am getting ready for a battle.

Then finally the bush right in front of me shakes, and out comes a Pokemon.

'Okay, that's not good'.

---------------------------

A/N: While I tend to hate cliffhangers myself, I'm probably going to update in a day or two anyway so it's not too bad XD. Though dont worry, Ill try not to make a habit of them.

First battle scene, which actually didn't come out too well. Michael is the MC, he's a special snowflake. It's his destiny to rise to the top, which I dont think would make sense if he's struggling against the common rabble.

Now dont worry, there are going to be plenty of tough fights for him in the future, it's just that this very first one was meant to showcase that every little trainer fight isn't going to be mentioned, simply cuz he's already a step above them. His training regime, plus his ability to think ahead and plan things out, gives him an advantage.

Also not every trainer fight is going to be easy, with some actually pushing him quite far, it's just that he's only just started his journey so he's hardly going up against experienced trainers himself.

Please by all means offer feedback, even if you think I wont like it. I'm a big boi! I only cry every other day now! Much proud, such wow!

ArcanaVitae, !Renzie0, Tobi and 39 others like this.
  10. BJJPanda

BJJPanda I trust you know where the happy button is?

No one has commented on the chapter yet so I guess I will. I love what you have done with Prof Oak, showing the depth of his character. I don't think I have ever read a Teddy starter fic so that's cool. I think the story has the potential to be great!

11. BlueRanger O-Doom

BlueRanger O-Doom Not too sore, are you?

Wow, reading this fic, especially how Oak and the actual background is laid out, really hits deeper than most anything else Pokémon related I’ve run across as an adult.
    It reminds me of how your perception of things changes as you grow up, the things you notice in hindsight years later.

I have grandparents who’ve passed now, their war stories looked at as an adult really made me see them as more than just ‘grandpa’ but a person with more depth to them than I noticed as a child.

!Renzie0 and Gtopia like this.
  12. Yami-Guy

Yami-Guy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Nice, a good mostly realistic and gritty Pokémon story, Watched.

Gtopia likes this.
  13. aWhim

aWhim Set Free

I'm looking forward to the Cliffhanger Pokemon reveal. I'm curious if it'll be a potential teammate or a first taste of future challenges that can't be faced so soon in his journey.

Gtopia likes this.
  14. shakeval

shakeval Versed in the lewd.

Either it's here to challenge major or is wants that food, you'd be able to smell both the fire and the food from a good distance away. . . . .or it's injured

Gtopia likes this.
  15. Threadmarks: Chapter 4 - Since when does victory sting!?
    Gtopia

As the Beedrill stepped out of the bushes, my eyes instantly started sweeping around, mainly looking into the tree tops.

'Of course it had to be a bloody Beedrill, sweet baby Jesus, let it be a straggler.'

We learned all about Beedrill in school of course, since it was one of the most dangerous Pokemon a trainer could run into in the wild. Not individually, but simply because they moved around in swarms. When it came to Kanto, Beedrill was one of the biggest killers when it came to lone adventurers on their journey. Especially since the stronger a trainer becomes, the more likely they are to go off the beaten path and explore.

Unless said trainer had a Pokemon that could fly, and fast at that, or maybe have a Psychic type that knew teleport, they were shit out of luck.

"Ursa!'

Major takes another step towards the cautiously advancing Beedrill in warning, yet I'm still mostly looking high for signs of other Beedrill.

'Shouldn't I be hearing them by now, if they are here?'

The sound a swarm of Beedrill make when on the move is apparently very loud. Which can of course be a blessing sometimes as people can prepare for what they know is coming, or give them just enough time to hide or run.

Calming down slightly, and wiping the sweat from my brow, I release a quiet sigh since I'm apparently not going to die a horrible excruciating death.

I take a long look at the Pokemon in front of me.

Beedrill aren't known for wondering around on their lonesome, which leads to me being more confused about what is currently happening. Especially since the other Pokemon hasn't instantly gone into kill-mode and started attacking me or Major. As it takes another cautious step closer to the camp, ignoring the growling Major, something tickles me.

There's something really weird about this Beedrill, and for some reason I feel like I'm being an idiot. Whatever it is, It's not jumping out at m-

Which is when I notice it. Why this Beedrill is playing with my inner hazard lights, and why there isn't a loud cacophony of Beedrill on their way to murder-ise me right now.

This Beedrill has no wings.

"What the fuck..."

Switching targets from Major, to me after I release the muttered words, It's shiny red eyes peer at me. That's hella creepy. Yet kinda cool as well.

Okay, so no wings, incredibly weird, but that explains why it isn't part of a swarm, since they probably left it behind, or even tried to kill it.

Given it approached me after I had set up camp and started cooking, it might be hungry.

"Hey, It's okay you dont need to be worried. I'm sure we can work something out."

Major looks back at me over his shoulder with a confused look on his face, which of course was a mistake. The moment Major wasn't hyper focused on the Beedrill is the moment it chose to attack.

With more speed than it had any right to have, since it was ground-locked, it launched forward, with a lance like appendage speared forward.

Given Major saw the initial look of panic overtake my face along with a hastily ordered dodge, he didn't even try spinning his head around to look at what was coming, and simply threw himself to the side narrowly dodging a spear tip, and bouncing off the ground once before coming back to his feet in a ready stance.

"Quick counter with Fury Swipes!"

Major barely lets the final word leave my mouth before he leaps forward, coming in at the Beedrill from the side. Given the awkward angle I was expecting a clean hit, yet Major's first paw attack hits nothing but air, with the Beedrill bending slightly to the side in order to dodge the initial hit.

Fury Swipes of course is an attack that hits multiple times, so while surprised at the first dodge, I'm expecting Major to still land a few hits and deal some damage.

Which is of course the exact opposite of what happens.

With an almost bored like attitude, the Beedrill goes on to dodge every swipe from Major. Twisting his body slightly one way, then throwing It's shoulder down and bending slightly forward to dodge yet another swipe from Major, followed by several more dodges.

I have to admit to being impressed.

Major jumps back after his final swipe hits air yet again, wearing a furious expression on his adorable face.

"Ursa! Urs..."

Yeah, he's angry alright. Beedrills lack of heavy breathing contrasted to Majors slight yet obvious pants showing how much worse off Major came out from that bout.

"Bee"

While not quite taunting, the slight uplift of the Beedrills head, along with the calm manner in which he stands no doubt annoys Major more than he already was.

"Calm down buddy, he's fast but we're going to come out on top in the end, trust me." Relaxing his tense stance slightly, Major gives a subtle nod of his head, while not taking his eyes off the Beedrill. He learnt his lesson already. Good.

"Get ready for a quick-start buddy, though he'll no doubt dodge, however that will be your chance. While he's already twisted, while you'll not be able to use another claw attack, use Lick to hit him from point blank range!"

Battles dont usually involve such obvious pep talks, yet this is no trainer battle where the opposing side can take advantage of the time delay, or even come up with a counter strategy.

The Beedrills taking his sweet time as he stands at the ready, more than happy to be on the reacting side of things.

"Ursa! Urs, Teddi!"

Given all the acknowledgement I need, I give Major the go ahead.

Launching forward using the movement style technique we created, Major flies forward with high acceleration. As he touches down then immediately launches off from the halfway point between him and the opposing Pokemon, his claws start shining in a light grey energy, announcing Metal Claw.

When Major arrives at the Beedrill, he launches his paw forward, claws covered in steel energy aiming for the Beedrills face. Of course he dodges just like I knew he would. With a quick half step back, followed by bending his body backwards so its back and head were parallel to the ground, the claw misses. Of course now's Majors chance.

Major instantly opens his mouth, with his tongue infused in ghost type energy shooting forwards to lick the Beedrills face.

"Yes! Way to go Major!" Of course I know it's not over yet, but even just proof that this acrobatic bug can be hit is already brightening my mood.

Which is of course the moment the smile drops off my face.

While bent over backwards, and his legs open while leaning, Beedrill had its stinger shoot forwards and curve up to hit Major in the back.

"Ursa!" Majors cry has me gritting my teeth.

Beedrill falls to the ground and starts shivering, with Major hitting the ground behind the Beedrill even harder.

"Major, are you okay!?"

While I can see him starting to stand up, It's taking longer than it should. Already the Beedrill has flipped over onto It's front and is on It's knees.

By the time Major stands up, still shaking, Beedrill has already shaken off the Lick attack.

"Bzzt, Beedrill!"

With a caustic hiss, the Beedrill extends one leg behind it'self. Knowing whats coming, but not knowing how to prepare Major, I shout out the first thing that comes to mind.

"Major, he's coming! When he attacks that's your only chance, hit him with a quick-start but turn your body mid jump." Given there's no way Major can dodge the fast Beedrill especially at this range, the only thing I can think of is to go high risk high reward, given anything else will result in Major's loss, along with putting us in even more danger of the Bug type Pokemon.

Shaking off the last of the dizziness from his slam into the ground, he barely has time to lock eyes with the Beedrill before it's shooting forward.

Not even being able to tell if he heard my orders for a counter attack, I'm powerless to stop the Beedrill from advancing on Major at high speed. Yet Major gives a quick-start forward as well. While not being able to prepare enough to gain as much acceleration as usual, it's still enough to have him shooting forwards as well.

With the Beedrills lance extended forward, Major tries turning his body but It's too late. The lance of the Beedrill slams into Majors shoulder, resulting in him spinning out of control. Yet my partner still gathers the Steel type energy into his claws needed for a Metal Claw. While spinning and shooting past the Beedrill, one of the Teddiursa's flailing paws strike the Beedrill face first.

Along with the quick rotation of his spinning body and the speed his initial quick-start gave him, it granted Metal Claw more power that it would have by it'self by quite a margin.

While the Teddiursa simply cartwheels past, the Beedrill goes slamming into the ground head first, with the rest of it's body catching up a half second later. Noticing that the Beedrill isn't getting back up straight away, or even moving much at all, I race over to my downed Pokemon.

"Major! Talk to me buddy." Noticing the bleeding wound he has on his back, along with the slight puncture wound on his shoulder, I can instantly tell he's not okay.

Grabbing one of my potion bottles from my backpack, I start spraying the wounded areas.

Unlike the games potions aren't instant miracles. They're kind of like super first aid kits. With scratches and minor wounds, they'll heal up most of it while making sure infection doesn't set in. Yet for medium size wounds, like the one Major has right now, they're not as fast acting. While still guaranteeing not infection, they cant instantly close the wounds.

Bringing out some gauze, I uncap my potion bottle then dip the bandages in the liquid. While it will soak up a fair amount of the potion bottle, it's worth it. Wrapping my Teddiursa's wounds up tight, I feel a relieved sigh escape me. While I'll still feel better after getting him checked out at the Poke Centre in Viridian, there's no emergency rush needed to get there. If his wounds were on the larger side then I'd rush home to Oaks lab, but after a few days rest, with potion infused gauze, Major should be more than fine.

With Majors face getting more and more relaxed as time goes by, no doubt due to the pain relief that potions naturally have, I zap him into his Poke ball so he can get some much deserved rest.

Letting out a slight groan at the quick and quite frankly, insane fight just now. I stand up from my kneeling position, then look over at the Beedrill.

Slowly walking forward I can see the Beedrills body still moving slightly. No doubt It's just knocked out. A spinning Metal Claw to the face will no doubt do that to you.

Standing over It's prone body, I can finally get a look at It's back properly now that it's still.

"So you evolved with wings, they were simply ripped off..."

Looking at the scarred up back of the Beedrill, I cant help myself from feeling anything other than impressed. A disabled Pokemon, especially such a vital part of said Pokemon being the cause of such disability, yet it didn't feel anything less than dangerous.

In fact looking back, we shouldn't have won that fight at all. A lot of things went right which culminated in the victory. The most pressing of all no doubt being the Beedrill being more than happy to react instead of act. If it had come in guns blazing from the get go, with It's speed, it probably would have won. It also helped that the lance like thrusts were telegraphed heavily, with Its spear tip extended well before it reached Major.

If it had just a little bit more experience, a little bit more skill, it would have crushed Major, no questions asked. It was that bit of luck, along with the Beedrills lack of experience that lets us come out on top.

"You... are strong." Looking down on It's prone form, I come to a decision.

While there are only 6 spots available on my team, and Beedrill is hardly thought of as a powerhouse Pokemon, especially a disabled one, I cant help but admire its strength and sheer tenacity.

Besides, there's no such thing as weak Pokemon, only weak trainers. With this Beedrill standing by my side, I know I can climb high. It's sheer raw potential, showcased in our short yet intense battle, tells me it has what it takes to stand at the top with the rest of the big boi's.

While not looking like it, this was a fortuitous encounter, that will lead to good things. I just know it.

Withdrawing a Poke ball from my backpack then instantly throwing it at the down Beedrill, I watch as It's sucked into the Iconic ball.

Biting my lip, I watch as the Poke ball gives It's first shake. Surprising since the Beedrill was unconscious, yet given It's determination to grow stronger even while being disabled and abandoned, I honestly expect nothing less.

With a second shake, I start to grow worried, though I needn't have bothered. After the second wiggle, the Poke ball sits still then gives the iconic capture noise.

With a smirk growing on my face, I walk over to the Poke ball and pick it up.

Major was different, since I convinced him to come with me. Beedrill though is the first Pokemon I've caught.

'The games cant give you this feeling, the sheer joy and excitement from catching your first Pokemon.'

With a big grin on my face I give a shout out into the dark forest, no doubt scattering several Pokemon from my loud sounds of jubilation.

Going over to my food, no doubt burnt on the outside given how long It's been cooking, I still have the victorious smirk on my face.

"Today was a great day."
    -
    A/N:

Kinda worried about how people are going to react to a Beedrill being placed on the team, since It's a Pokemon you dont often see in a trainers team.

I'm mainly including him because he's one of my favourite from the Kanto region, and because double swords/lances are leading me to interesting skill play's he can learn.

Btw, there's a reason Major wasn't poisoned from that stinger blow to the back.

There was initially going to be more happening in this chapter, since the fight was only supposed to be a few hundred words. I decided to instead break up the original chapter into 2 instead, so I can keep my original goal of smaller chapters. I dont want another monstrosity like chapter 2.

*Shivers*

Dont know why this chapters battle got away from me, since they're the parts I'm most worried about writing. I wanted to try and showcase what skill off Beedrills is going to let it keep up later into the game, and that's it's reaction times + dodging capability.

After Michael begins training him in it, along with the experience Beedrill is no doubt going to get, he's going to be a right terror. I'm just picturing him going up against monsters, yet never taking a hit (simply cuz at that level a high damage hit would deal massive damage).

Comment on what you think of a Beedrill being put on the team, along with it being disabled at that. Also see if you can guess It's name, hint: a large part of It's name has been used often this chapter XD.

P.s: Chapter 5 will come out on Monday, just so I can try and clean up the arc 1 road map a bit better. As well as maybe try and build a little bit of a stock pile.

ArcanaVitae, !Renzie0, Tobi and 18 others like this.
  16. ThunderBasilisk

ThunderBasilisk Well worn.

Nice to see an update here as well. Looks like Beedrill got his first win. Cant wait to see how the gym battle goes.

!Renzie0, Gtopia and William Seymour like this.
  17. Feederchan

Feederchan Do you want to make a wish?

Is this samething on Spacebattle.com? Are there any differences between here and there?

!Renzie0 and William Seymour like this.
  18. Gtopia

Yh its the same thing, at least for now. I didnt initially want to post on QQ cuz I was under the impression it was a NSFW site only. Other people convinced me that's not the case, and to just upload it on the safe side of the site.

I've never tried my hand at writing lewds, but If I do have some for this fic it wont be until some time skips and Michael is older.

!Renzie0 likes this.
  19. Threadmarks: Chapter 5 - You sing me right round baby right round!
    Gtopia

Still a few days off from Viridian, I knew it was probably for the best that I stay a while in the woods to better acquaint myself with my new Beedrill.

Given Major was still recovering I decided to leave him alone for now, and let him rest up some more before bringing him out. Besides, It's probably better that I try and get a handle on just what kind of personality Beedrill has by myself.

First thing the next morning, I release Beedrill from his Poke ball. As the light dissipates, I give my new Pokemon a quick once over. Besides a light scuff mark over the side of the Beedrills face, he looks to be more or less fine. Guess getting his shit rocked was mostly his brain bouncing around his skull.

"Bee!" Standing placidly, the long legged bee looking monstrosity that would be labelled nightmare fuel in my first life, gives a few gentle turns of his head, looking around.

"Hey man, how ya feeling?" With a slow, almost bored head tilt at me, he just continues to stare.

"... Okay then, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're the strong and silent type? Fair enough."

All but ignoring me now, he meanders over to my camp setup, and gives it a look over.

"Are you hungry? I've got some all purpose Poke chow right here my man, let me just get it out for ya!" I begin routing through my Tardis of a back-pack before pulling out a bag of all Purpose food and crushed berries. Apparently it's not the nicest food for Pokemon, however it's made to be eaten by any kind of Pokemon, and the point is to have something any Pokemon can eat before you can get some specific type of food from the nearest settlement.

I set out a big bowl then proceed to fill it up before bringing the bowl over to the log I was sitting on and placing it besides me.

Beedrill stares at me before simply walking over, taking the bowl, then proceeding to eat standing up.

I hope he's only doing that because he's not too comfortable with me right now, otherwise that's gonna be kinda awkward in the future. I know he can move that big butt stinger thing around quite well, not only forwards, but backwards as well. It's what helped him maintain his balance when he was pulling off those drastic dodges of his.

"So, not gonna lie, you're pretty strong already, even though you've just been milling around in the wild around area 1. You dont really see many strong Pokemon around this area, especially skilled ones."

He just continues eating his bowl of food, though given how his head leaned slightly to one side, I'm guessing he's listening. Strong and silent indeed.

"The most interesting aspect about you of course is your wings, or lack there of." Now I definitely have his attention. He stands tense, a sudden apprehension instantly overtaking me, before I barrel on through and try to get my point across.

"Most wild Pokemon, when faced with a debilitating injury just try to survive, to live out the rest of their lives as best as they can. They dont usually dive headfirst into the fray looking to risk themselves to become stronger. I'm telling you now Beedrill, you were meant for me."

As he slowly looks at me, I make sure to look him right in the eye. Those creepy, cool eyes of his.

"I dont have much direction, or even a goal in mind. The only thing I know is that I want to grow stronger, and never stop. I have the feeling you'll fit right in with me and Major."

I stand up from the log and brush off the dirt from my shorts. I step up to him, without much worry now as he seems to have understood the general meaning of what I was trying to get across. With his bowl dropping from his stingers, he takes a cautious step forward to meet me face to face.

"Will you come with me, and help me on my journey?"

I raise up one arm and bend it slightly, since a fist bump would probably hurt, like a lot.

After a careful second of deliberation, Beedrill lifts his stinger and bumps it side on against my arm.

I feel a smirk take over my face, at which point I can almost feel the evil laugh bubbling up from my throat. Why an evil laugh? Because I know with the right training, lots of willpower, and a spoonful of spite, this Beedrill is going to be a nightmare in the future.
    -
    Packing up all the camping gear is simple, but tedious. After that's out of the way, I'm back on the pathway and moving on towards Viridian.

Thinking of Viridian naturally has me thinking of the big cheese himself, Giovanni. One of the things I came to appreciate later on about the first game was the lack of world ending threat. Like in all the newer games that released there was always some calamity going on that was going to end the world.

In gen 1? Just some dude just being a bit of a dirt bag. Like dont get me wrong, putting in high stakes is all well and good in games, but they just rehashed so much of the same stuff. Same boring antagonist, same threat of the world ending or being remade, yada yada. Giovanni was basically just a gangster, and a pretty ok one all things told. I mean the dude straight up just turns over a new leaf with basically no prompting.

Of course Oak's always been a sweetie-pie, yet in my world is some eldritch horror abomination wrapped up in a kindly old mans skin. Why no I'm not still salty about faceplanting in front of the dude.

So Giovanni could actually be more than a two-bit gangster here. He could be a super edgy Cyrus wannabe and be out for world destruction or whatever. Either way I'm going to have to prepare myself for him not being what I expect. Though if he comes out dressed like a hippie with peace signs everywhere I'll be just as freaked out.

Though It's been years since I last played the games, I'm pretty sure Giovanni doesn't take on challengers unless they already have four badges. Or was it five?

Doesn't matter. I'm only in Viridian for a touch up on my Pokemon, supplies, and to phone home to let them know I wasn't swallowed up in a Diglett hole like that one kid a few years back. Poor S-O-B.

Closer to Viridian now than Pallet town, I begin spotting other trainers. The first people I see are a pair of kids around my age battling, using a Rattata and a Bellsprout. While I dont stop to watch, I do slow down to catch how the fight is going in general. Simply put? The Rattata seems to be winning due to it's sheer erratic movement followed by sporadic tackles. Raising a brow at the frankly put, boring fight, I pick up the pace and carry on.

A few hours later I spot a girl sitting next to a pond just off to the side. Slowing to a stop, I decide it's probably for the best to be proactive and try and get in sync with my Beedrill as early as possible.

"Hey, you alright?"

The girl turns her head round and gives me a slight pout. She seems to be a year or two older than me, with the generic 'cute girl' arch-type appearance.

"Of course I am, or I would be if you hadn't scared off the Magikarp!"

Ugh, how am I already tired of this interaction? I stop myself from rolling my eyes outta my head before deciding to get on with the whole point of talking to this chick. Of course, I dont even get around to asking.

"You're gonna have to entertain me instead. I challenge you to a Pokemon battle!" Standing up now, with one hand on her hip and the other pointing directly at me, I cant help but wonder why kids are always giving off such dramatic poses and declarations at such a young age. Like girl, you cant be older than twelve. Relax.

Not bothering to hold in my groan this time, I agree, causing her to instantly send out her Pokemon. After the Poke balls light dissipates, it reveals a pink round blob.

"Puffy! Jigglypuff Puff!"

Giving off a whistle, I give the Jigglypuff a quick once over. Standing there, with its little hair curl and adorable smile, I thank Arceus that this girl instantly sent out her Pokemon first, allowing me a few moments to try and plan around whats coming next.

The big danger of course comes from Sing. While it's a low accuracy move in the games, it works fairly different in the waking world. After all, It's not like the soundwaves can randomly miss my own Pokemon. No, when it hits it simply has a a lower chance of working against stronger Pokemon. Not that the move cant put a strong Pokemon to sleep, just that the user would have to be particularly strong as well, and simply overpower the opposing Pokémon's willpower to stay awake. Or just spam it, though no trainer worth their Poke balls is just going to allow that to happen.

While I haven't had a chance to really have a nice training session with Beedrill, I know he's skilled enough right now to handle what challenges should be on the road to Viridian city... unless of course this is where some weird trope activates and I get my metaphorical teeth kicked in. Arceus I hope not. Not to a marshmallow at least.

Taking a Poke ball from my hip, I throw it out, revealing my Beedrill. He immediately locks eyes with the walking Maom, and oh my sweet baby Mew if I ever get a Jigglypuff that's what I'm naming it.

Credit where It's due, looking into my Beedrills red eyes doesn't deter the Jigglypuff at all.

"Bee." Ah, such an eloquent speaker.

Frowning at my Pokemon, the other trainer looks at me with a confused expression on her face.

"You're using a crippled Pokemon? Are you sure, that doesn't seem too fair."

My Beedrill who was already in a slight stance, ready for the battle to begin, simply crouches slightly lower to the ground at the offending statement, ready to prove her wrong. I on the other hand do not take it quite so well. Yes Beedrill is working with a negative, but it doesnt mean he's incapable, nor does it mean it's okay to seemingly throw out stupid statements and get away with it for no other reason than 'I was only trying to help'.

"Well I figure it's only fair since your own Pokemon is working with a disability, you know, having you as it's trainer and all."

Given the wide hurt eyes she directs at me, she wasn't expecting that. Naturally she immediately gets angry.

"Hey! I was only trying to be fair you jerk!"

With both hands in my pockets, I try to effect an uncaring expression on my face.

"Next time how about instead of throwing out random offending statements you instead stick to battling, given the other trainer is confident enough to use said Pokemon in the first place Mkay?"

With a glare on her face she simply reaches down and picks up a random stick off the ground. Chucking it in the air, we both watch it with baited breath. The moment it hits the ground, we were both giving out orders.

"Jigglypuff use sing!"

"Beedrill attack now"

Beedrill immediately launches forward using it's strong legs, lance already extended directed right at the opposing Pokemon. Of course the Jigglypuff began his move immediately too. Even though it didn't get more than a few words out, it still begins to effect Beedrill given he started slowing down by the midway point.

I even feel a slight fatigue hit myself, only noticeable due to how sudden it was.

"Shake it off and keep going Beedrill, interrupt it's singing!"

With an almost vicious swing of it's head, Beedrill shakes it off as much as he can before zooming forward, even faster than his initial take off. Given he's much closer than when he started he manages to get in range very quickly.

An extended lance slams into the Jigglypuffs chest, throwing it back with a cry. The building sleepiness of Beedrill seems to be wearing off immediately showing that the Jigglypuff didnt have enough time to get its song going, with him standing a little bit straighter and seeming a touch more aware. While it wasn't targeting me, and given the distance between me and the Jigglypuff I wasn't hit with the status effect particularly hard, but now that its over I feel myself becoming more alert, proving that it was still effecting me even if only a little.

"Jigglypuff!" The opposing trainer seems particularly surprised at the events unfolding, which doesn't surprise me too much. Sing by itself would be enough to incapacitate most low level Pokemon, especially given their trainers would still be too new to really know how to counter, or what tactics to implement.

Of course my Beedrill didn't really need much beyond a reminder to carry on attacking, since he's not some no experience Pokemon. He's strong enough to tank most of the initial hit and stubbornness carried him through the rest of it.

Jigglypuff hops up into a standing position, though not without a wince. There's a pierce mark on the centre of its blob, with blood trickling from the wound. Beedrills lance didn't penetrate too far, a mix of Pokemon being hardy fuckers, along with Beedrill intentionally holding back so as not to, ya know, slice it's bloody heart out It's chest.

"Fury attack now Beedrill!"

"Jigglypuff use Disarming voice!"

Beedrill rushes forwards now, this time with both lances at the ready, though unfortunately, again, there's no real way for him to dodge the sound based move heading his way. Naturally Disarming voice hits Beedrill first, causing him to swerve to the side a bit before stumbling during his run. Flipping over onto his side then rolling a bit before finally coming to a stop, Beedrill pushes his lances into the ground in order to rise to a knee.

While I'm still not too concerned, mainly because Jigglypuff doesn't seem to have a truly powerful move to finish it, the fact the fight wasn't an instant wash is surprising me. That's not to say that Jigglypuff is a weak Pokemon, there are no truly weak Pokemon. Just that I'm surprised there's one this tough hanging around the road to Viridian. While the girl I'm fighting is nothing special, her Jigglypuff either, the fact of the matter is even an average trainer would still be too much for all the newbies hanging around cities at the start of the circuit. Though I suppose it has been a few months already. While I dont know if this girl started her journey this year or if she's simply out looking for experience, the point is that she's not going down instantly like I expected. Not because I'm some amazing special snowflake, but because Beedrill is a truly tough cookie for it's kind. At least at a 'low' level like he currently is.

"Jigglypuff use sing!"

"Jiggly!"

'Tsk, again?' Though it makes sense. There's only so much willpower can do for you. If she smacks around my Beedrill enough then eventually a 'Sing' will take effect and score her the win.

"Beedrill headbutt the ground!"

"Drill!"

Instantly I hear the other trainer squawk out a shocked noise, though I only have eyes for my Beedrill. My slowly swaying Pokemon instantly throws his head forward from his kneeling position, face first into the ground.

'THUD'

While I kiss my teeth at the fact there was no real way for me to stop the sleeping move, I know time is of the essence. With Beedrill shaking his head out, yet standing to his feet even with a slight stumble, I give the order for him to follow through with his attack.

Being much too close to the Jigglypuff now, given how far he rolled, there's no time for the opposing Pokemon to do anything but squeak as it tries to dodge.

While it does manage to hop to the side from the first Fury attack, a combination of Beedrills head probably still spinning and Jigglypuff being able to hop surprisingly high, the second one catches it mid air with a thwack.

"Jiggle!"

The Jigglypuff bounces off the ground in front of the Beedrill, who continues on with his attack, throwing a 3rd lance towards the mid-air Pokemon, this time instead of hitting it towards the ground, Beedrill threw out a straight jab launching the Jigglypuff away from it.

It bounces off the ground once, twice, then a little third bounce before stopping. While It lays there to catch It's breath for a second, it does start to rise.

"Jigglypuff, you're okay, you got this!"

While It's certainly not unconscious, the fact of the matter is this fights over. Getting to It's feet, ragged breaths escaping its mouth the Jigglypuff gives out a high pitched grunt.

It certainly has spirit.

Given what happened last time I gave it some breathing room, I decide to honor It's determination as best I could.

"Twin Needle Beedrill, end this."

"No! uh- use Pound Jigglypuff!"

While I raise my brows in surprise at the order she gives, looking to her face I can see it's mostly panic. No doubt she hasn't fought a low level trainer she hasn't been able to take down with her singing Pokemon, especially given how hardy her Jigglypuff is.

Beedrill rushed forward with both his lances pulled back close to his hips, and his elbows all the way back. A slight green energy starts to thinly envelop his lances, barely visible to the naked eye. As soon as he's within range of the Jigglypuff his arms shoot forward, both missing the Jigglypuffs hastily thrown stubby arm which was aiming to hit one of Beedrills lances.

As soon as the Twin Needle connects with the Jigglypuffs shoulders, thankfully missing It's wounds across It's chest, It flies further away than any point in the fight, being scooped up while it was still moving by It's trainer who skids along the ground to catch it.

"Jigglypuff!"

"And that's game."

"Beedrill!"

Ignoring the trainer for a moment, I walk up to Beedrill to examine him. While the only physical wounds he took were from his own headbutt, I still bring out the potion bottle from my backpack to make sure he's okay. Giving him a liberal spritz on his face, before wiping the wounded area down with a disinfectant wipe.

"You did great out there Beedrill, if you were any less determined that tough little bugger would of put you to sleep."

Getting an answering little huff from by Pokemon, telling me he was never in doubt of his victory, I give a smirk to him before returning him to his Poke ball.

I walk over to the still fretting trainer, who is hastily putting all her things into her backpack, which is taking a while since hers isn't one of SilphCo's special spacial Backpacks. I arrive in front of her just ass she's pulling her Bike off the ground.

"Whats the rush? You trying to get out of the bet?" While I highly doubt it, since that tends to have consequences of It's own, her hurrying is a bit weird.

"What? No! I need to get my Jigglypuff to the Poke Centre in Viridian, he's hurt!"

"Well yh, but there's no need to rush, just use a potion on him then pack him away, you'll be fine." With a shrug of my shoulders, since I dont really care too much about the situation. Dont battle if you cant hack it. Especially since she's clearly another trainer aiming to farm the newbies.

Looking into her wet eyes, she gives a frustrated yell.

"I dont have any potions! I wasn't even intending to battle. I just like to come out into the forest where It's beautiful, and I have my Jigglypuff to protect me, but one kid came up to me and demanded a challenge, and then I won. I won the one after that as well, and the next one. Before I knew it i had a bunch of money and I could buy new things! I never bought battle supplies or potions because Jigglypuff didn't need anything against all the other trainers."

So basically some rando girl was chilling and minding her own business, got a hot streak battling some nobodies, and figured she had hit a goldmine...

Sighing I reach into my own backpack and pull out my first potion bottle. After the liberal use I applied on Major, along with his bandages and now Beedril, there wasnt much left. Though there was enough here for her Jigglypuff.

"Bring out your Jigglypuff, I'll spray him down"

"What!? Really? Thank you thank you!"

Ignoring the girl as she threw her bike to the ground and retrieved her Poke ball, she carefully brought out her Jigglypuff who did look to be in pretty bad shape to be honest. While I'd like to say it's not as bad as it looks, and might even be truthful in saying it, It still looks pretty bad. Puncture holes, leaking blood, and bruises all over its cute little blobby body.

Kneeling on the floor next to Pokemon and trainer alike, I begin spraying down the worst areas of the Jigglypuff.

The trainer croons lovingly to her Pokemon as he squirms and squeaks throughout.

"So, what's you name anyway?"

She looks at me with wide eyes, before hurrying along.

"Ah, I never id introduce myself did I? The names Marly. I'm from Viridian city, what about you?"

"Michael, from Pallet town, though you probably already guessed that last part". With a guilty little smile on her face, she talks about all the kids who had come to the city recently, and how she'd unknowingly ended up being some sort of 'need to beat trainer'.

"Honestly I'm not really against trainers farming the newbies of the circuit. It gives all the kids coming into the game some much needed experience, so long as the other trainers arent using ringers of course, but did you seriously not use any of the money to buy potions? Why?"

"Because I'm not really into battling. I finished my journey last year, while I traveled a bit, I only got the one I needed. It's never really been for me, fighting. Yet when all those kids kept coming up to me with their brand new Pokemon, who they haven't trained or got any experience with, I figured It would be an easy money maker. Which It was, I also figured at the first sign of trouble Id surrender. When I saw your crippled Beedrill I just thought it might be easier to deal with than I first thought. Boy was I wrong."

Wiping down the Jigglypuff, I couldn't help but smirk.

"No argument here. He's going to be even tougher after we've done some actual training."

"I dont doubt it."

Finally finishing up, I put the empty bottle away in my backpack, before rising up from the ground.

"He's still gonna need to be seen to obviously, but he'll be fine. He'll also not be in much pain really, so long as he rests and doesnt strain himself."

"Thank you again, so much!"

I give her a nod, before extending my hand out face up in waiting.

She looks at my hand puzzled, before giving me an unsure high five.

I blink before busting out laughing, causing her face to go all red.

"The bet you dork, It's not like you cant afford it."

"Ah, right! Sorry!"

Still laughing lightly at her, I wait as she quickly rummages in her own Backpack before handing over the money.

"Thanks again Michael, you're a lifesaver."

Rolling my eyes at the exaggeration I tell her Jigglypuff would of been fine, if just in a lot of pain for a day or two.

Getting on her bike, feet on the peddles, she looks at me before smiling.

"Well, it was certainly interesting meeting you Michael, and your Beedrill. Ah, tell him I said sorry if I hurt his feelings, I now know he's really strong!"

Nodding, even though I could tell it mostly motivated him than hurt his feelings, I simply let her kick off the ground and be on her way.

"Oh! I hope we meet in Viridian city as well Michael, if not I'll keep an eye on the Battlenet for your Gym challenges! Bye!"

Giving a lazy wave to her back as she races off down the road, I simply shake my head at the whirlwind that confrontation turned out to be. It also helped me out in realising that while Beedrill is definitely skilled, at least for his experience level, we still need to train before going up against any of the Gym challenges.

Given Pewtr is historically the first Gym in the circuit, that's where my first badge will no doubt come from.

Walking down the road on my way to Viridian city, I wonder what the Brock fight will be like. Whether it will be a victory by the skin of my teeth, or a victory with uncaring confidence. Either way I know I'm gonna win.

Brock... is that right? Thinking about Ash of course makes me remember a little bit about the whole Brock situation.

"Huh, maybe my first Gym fight wont be with him after all..."
    -
    A/N: Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak: *Exists*
    Me: Oh fuck yh daddy, ruin my free time!

In all seriousness sorry about the delay you guys. I also had to try and plan around with arc 1 a bit more. Whether or not to include Ash in a small recurring role? What that would do to the story, and all the wacky shenanigans that goes on. What that would mean for my timeline and own original plots.

Either way Ive come to a decision, which I'm not sure how well It's going to be received.

Also I know I said 2K word chapters, but this shit really does just get away from me. Like I'll say to myself 'Okay, a really quick conversation with Beedrill, no more than a short paragraph or 2 then move on'. Nearly 1K words later I'm like, 'why do I do this to myself'.

I think one of my big problems is that I'm worried about skipping stuff. Like I could of skipped right to Viridian after last chapter and it would of been fine, yet I felt the need to plug this in.

I'm going to try and be better about that in the future, and try some time skips.

Sera's does that really well in her 'Pokemon trainer Vicky' fic, she doesn't bog that shit down with whole paragraphs, and micromanage every other minute that goes on with the character. I kinda wanna try and emulate that going forward, not sure how well I'm gonna do, but we'll see.

Im not sure whether to just get to Viridian so I can get the simple boring shit out the way then move onto the next road to Pewtr, or whether to add in some filler at Viridian and make it It's own chapter.

We'll see.

Gonna try and not leave such a big update gap again, I think my initial speculations about updates were a little naive, sorry guys.

I'mm gonna try my best to update within a week though.

By all means comment about what you liked or didn't like about the chapter, I try to respond to everyone.

(P.s - If anyone spots spelling/grammar mistakes, hit me with them and I'll try to get around to them. Peace!)

ArcanaVitae, !Renzie0, Tobi and 25 others like this.
  20. Blaintintnoob!!

Blaintintnoob!! Not too sore, are you?

Im not….sure how feasible long term the beedril should be, since you seem to be trying to go for a mix of realism in this and to be frank, a crippled flying creature that can’t fly is always going to never reach its potential. Also how Beedril tend to be strong for the early game then are a bit weak late game, so it makes sense why its so impressive here but later on its probably gonna be an anchor

21. Aureus

Aureus Hylic

My guess is that since he is a bug type he could molt and just regrow them.

In-universe they also have the tech to resurrect fossils so the idea of a Pokémon Center being able to treat him normally isn't too far out there either.

As for potential, if it's not game logic Beedrill can still end up very strong. (Giovanni uses a very powerful one in the Manga for example)

22. William Seymour

William Seymour I trust you know where the happy button is?

Both chapters were good and I am curious as to what made this Beedril lose its wings. Was it a birth defect? Torn off in battle? Etc I have no issue with mc having a Beedril or using unusual pokemon since in that world, there is no such thing as a weak pokemon. Their are only weak trainers who are unable to use what is in front of them efficiently.

The interaction with the trainer who found her belived pokemon and didn't make it far in her journey was a nice touch as well. To show us the audience that not everyone is built for the harsh life as a pokemon trainer, some are fit to get the mons they want and live a life of comfort. Which has a side effect of if their pokemon are not challenged, then they would not get any stronger. Or have the experience to deal with...unexoected complications. Perhaps this will teach her to be better prepared, to grow and evolve from what she was yesterday.

Either way, thank you for the chapters and I look forward to seeing the newest ones you put out. Keep up the good work!

Gtopia and Aureus like this.
  23. doomqwer

doomqwer Experienced.

I think you are forgetting mew two who mad an enormous hurricane to wipe out humanity of course this was anime, but mewtwo is still a huge threat unless mew catches him early and helps him through his grief and confusion.
    pretty cleaver actually.

Gtopia likes this.
  24. Gtopia

Believe me, you're not the first person to bring this up. Across all the platforms, Beedrill divided people quite evenly.

I get what you're saying, I really do. I just wanted to include a crippled Pokemon since I could never remember reading about 1 in a fic. Also I dont think your quite getting what a lateral move this Beedrill is going to take, combat wise. While he wont be able to fly anymore, that just means if he stuck to a normal Beedrill fighting style/attack pattern, he'd be in trouble. Lancelot knows that wont work for him, so he's going into a brand new direciton which is half the fun in my mind. Maybe I dont have the creative chops to pull it off, but I still wanna give it a go. Making a close combat lancer Beedrill, who also relies heavily on his instinctive and unique reflexes and dodges to actually survive being close to other Pokemon.
    -
    This ^

While I wont say all Pokemon are created equal, with enough determination, skill, the right trainer and even just some plain old luck, any Pokemon can become truly powerful.
    -
    I made sure to include a part in the previous chapter highlighting the scars on the Beedrills back. HIs wings were straight up ripped off, hardcore style. They also aint coming back, not unless, well... never mind that ;)
    glad you liked it XD
    -
    Ah, true. Mewtwo always felt tacked on story wise (though he's still cool as fuck) so I never really pay him too much attention in the Kanto story.

Yh, she's definitely coming back next year, since the circuit is currently well under way and the newbie pool is drying up.

William Seymour and Aureus like this.
  25. doomqwer

doomqwer Experienced.

true I always preferred the anime version of mewtwo where he is more confused on his place in the world and wracked by grief from his birth he had a good story.
    Cause the game one had a PREGNANT MEW that they experimented on and as wide spread and sometimes competent as team rocket are i dont see them being able to hold down pokemon jesus while shes pregnant.

Gtopia likes this.
  26. Aureus

Aureus Hylic

Going to place my bets on Mega Evolution :sneaky:

JohnSmithMIB likes this.
  27. Threadmarks: Chapter 6 - Warming up to the idea of warming up
    Gtopia

We couldn't of been more than a day off from Viridian, which is why I chose to let our pace slow even more. An extra days training wouldn't really accomplish much, but it would help with selecting the foundations of Beedrills style.

Given the dexterity he's put on display, along with his reflexes, it's not hard to see that his fighting style going forward is going to be very reliant on dodges, and flexibility.

His species isn't known for being hardy, and given his land-locked nature, he's at a greater risk of taking devastating blows than normal.

A truly hard hit can be enough to OHKO my prickly knight. Meaning he'd have to be even more aware and sensitive to the field than any other of his kind.

As I watched my Beedrill doing suicides from one large tree to another and back again, I couldn't help but notice how inconvenient it was for him not to have his own name, especially when thinking in relation to both him and his species.

"Beedrill, how about we decide on a name for you now?"

My shout didn't even seem to of been heard, thought I know it was. Beedrill is simply focusing all of his attention on keeping up a fast pace, back and forth.

Raising an eyebrow at just how lost he was in his exercise, I reached down and picked up a rock besides me on the grass. Bouncing it in the air once, then twice, I let it rip on the third.

The rock sailed threw the air, though not too far, before bouncing of the carapace of Beedrills stinger. Beedrill instantly giving a small, but no less amusing jump, was faintly amusing. His head whipped round to me before giving an irritated buzzing.

"You cant get hit Beedrill, you simply aren't built for it. Right now it's okay because a lot of our upcoming fights wont be terribly hectic, however you need to get into the habit of always being aware of your surroundings."

While I could see he still wasn't amused by my catching him off guard, he nods his head in acknowledgement of my words.

"Now, like I said, a name".

"Bee..."

He moves back into position, with an almost dismissive retort, leading me to believe he's not bothered either way.

Thinking about it, there were of course plenty of names that could fit him. Whether they be bug themed, or even lance themed.

Lance...

Looking to Beedrill again, I notice that if anything, his speed has picked up. He's nearly flying across the ground as he zooms across the grass back and forth.

While his strength is going to obviously be a focus in training, his speed is what's on my mind at the moment. His reflexes and instincts are what's going to keep him in a fight, of which speed is going to be the most important aspect of said skills. It also doesn't hurt that speed can also greatly increase one's offense.

Picking up a smaller pebble from the ground, I let it fly towards Beedrill, who simply slows down and lets it pass in front of him before picking up speed again.

A smirk coming to my face I continue to think about names.

Having memories from a past life certainly helps with being original. By that I mean original in this world while shamelessly ripping off from the old one.

My old home country of England had it's own share of lore, history and culture to be inspired from. With the stingers of Beedrill looking like lances, and seeing him shooting across the ground at high speeds, one name comes to mind.

"Lancelot"

Slowing down, before coming to a stop, the newly christened Lancelot turns to me, trying not too seem out of breath, before giving a nod after a few moments of silence.

Returning the nod, I move on.

"Right now your biggest advantage are those sharp reflexes of yours, which is something I want to hone, eventually reaching a razors edge. While we dont have anyone to battle against here, beside's some weaker wild Pokemon, there should be plenty of opportunities to find trainers to battle in Viridian. I'll see about crafting a training regimen to sharpen your already known skills."

"Bzzt"

Sigh

Still not a talker. That's fine, he doesn't have to be.

"Your overall stamina could definitely be better though, so besides regular training we'll also have to include general exercises that can help you into the mix. That will open up a lot of options later on when it comes to fighting."

Seeming pleased at the knowledge that he's going to be going through a lot of training, I return him to his pokeball, before clipping it to my belt.

"Haaa..."

Scratching my head as I walk out of the foliage and back onto the beaten path, I have to admit, trying to think up different training regimens for different Pokemon is going to be a headache, though one that will pay off in the future.

Of course I'll have to try and be more selective about future teammates. Beedrill was one of my fav early game Pokemon from my last life, and seeing one with an unusual situation, as well as style, had me reaching for a pokeball before I could even truly consider it.

Not that I'm upset about catching Lancelot, or regret it. Beedrills are cool, no matter what anyone says.

... A Scizor would of been cool as hell though.

----

Viridian City. Well, it's an actual city I'll give it that much. Major riding on my shoulder cant keep his head on straight, swiveling all around to take it all in.

While not a truly huge mega city, there are plenty tall buildings reaching into the sky, with roads filled with people riding Pokemon and driving cars.

Along with more people than either Major or I have ever really seen all in one place.

Taking in a deep breath, I notice the air still smells light and airy. While not as brisk and fresh as the great outdoors, there's no pollution sinking into the air and making it that slight bit more heavy and unpalatable.

Following the clearly marked signs on the pathways pointing to the Poke Centre, I arrive at the red building around noon.

It's a lot bigger than the games would have you believe, though that makes sense. Poke Centres are full on hospitals, mainly for Pokemon but they also take humans in easily enough. They also have to have rooms available for trainers, a cafeteria, and a general hive room for just lounging in.

In other words, a tiny building that can be walked though in ten steps isn't going to cover it.

Stepping through the doors I make my way through the main room. Closing in on the desk I notice quite the amalgamation of people and Pokemon.

There are kids younger than me running around the lounge area connected to the main room, no doubt inhabitants of the city given their age. Their are trainers of all ages and even skin tones, with one dark skin teenage talking on a video phone that had to be from...

What was the place called again? The islands from Sun and Moon, Kalos was it? Urg, that's going to annoy me for ages. I'll have to look it up later.

Arriving at the desk just as an older man happily leaves, carrying an adorable Pichu in his arms, I greet the Viridian Nurse Joy.

"Hey, I'm looking to touch up my 2 Pokemon"

Giving a smile that is clearly professional, yet no less personal and genuine for that fact, Nurse Joy holds out a tray for me to put my Pokeballs into.

"Of course! Anything in particular that needs looking into?"

Putting Major back into his ball, then placing it into the tray alongside Lancelot's I inform her of the wound Major received from my Beedrill, along with the on the road treatment I gave him.

"Oh, dont worry, from what I just saw there's nothing to be concerned about in regards to your Teddiursa, he looks to be fine. We'll go over them both just to make sure everything's fine."

"Oh, my Beedrill also took a few hits to the noggin in the past few days, though he seemed fine."

Handing the tray off to a bubbly Chancey that's almost bouncing around the counter, she turns back around, still with the same smile on.

"Again, dont worry, I'm sure he's going to be fine. Is there anything else?"

Debating it, I decide to ask a question I'm already pretty sure I know the answer to.

"Yeah, there's one thing. I caught my Beedrill only a few days ago, but when I found him, his wings were gone."

"Oh!"

Showing genuine surprise on her face, and finally losing that smile, which I'm honestly thankful for, that was getting creepy, Nurse Joy looks genuinely saddened by the news.

"That's such a shame, a flying type that cant fly. I wont say there aren't other examples, but that's usually because said Pokemon was never able to fly in the first place. Poor thing."

Looking at Nurse Joy's face, I cant tell if Lancelot would hate this pity more than he'd hate being mocked for his lack of wings.

"Yeah, I was just wondering if you knew of a way for him to get his wings back. Or if it's even possible?"

Confirming my suspicions, she shakes her head and goes on to tell me how nearly all Pokemon healing, heals from something. If he'd lost half a wing, or they'd been torn up, he'd be fine after several days of healing. Yet because there's nothing to grow back from, there's nothing to heal.

While saddening, it's not like I didn't already suspect it. Besides, I have every intention of getting Lancelot to the top regardless of his ability to fly. This is simply the confirmation I needed.

Booking myself in for a week, with a large league endorsed discount since it's my first circuit, I get myself situated in my room.

After entering the room, I notice that it's a relatively fair size room, maybe closer to small than large, but most importantly? A double mattress bed, with a nice fluffy comforter. Wanting nothing more than to dive into bed, I hold myself back and decide to get showered first. Nothing worse than sleeping in a clean bed when you're filthy.

After exiting the bathroom, with a towel around my waist, I notice a tray with 2 pokeballs on it. They had clearly been glided through the compartment at the bottom of the door.

Picking up the pokeballs and releasing both of them, just as I slide my pants on, I turn around to see both Major and Lancelot taking stock of the room.

Major instantly jumps up onto the bed, with Lancelot slowly and casually walking over to the window at the other end of the room.

"Right guys, while I'd normally be all about powering through the day and going to sleep tonight, I haven't slept in a bed in around a week, and I'm more than ready to end that losing streak. I vote we get a nice kip in, then veg out the rest of the night until morning."

While Major instantly give an adorable cheer with his hands in the air in favor, Lancelot did the equivalent of frowning, complete with an annoyed huff across the room.

Knowing what would cheer him up, I towel off my hair while getting ready.

With a gentle smirk, and a soft voice, I grab Lancelot's attention easily enough.

"We're staying in a Poke Centre ya know Lancelot, and do you know whats attached to every Poke Centre? Battle courts."

With his Ruby eyes now fixed on me, I go in for the kill.

"There are a whole slew of trainers round the back, all just raring for a fight. So rest up mate, we've got a whole week here, where we'll battle trainers everyday. So you'll need your rest, trust me."

Walking over to the bed, I throw myself into it with a luxurious and only slightly unnecessary sigh. Turning my head I see Lancelot still looking at me, before he gives a small nod and turns back to the window.

That will do I suppose.

"Ursa!"

"Oof!"

With Major jumping onto my back, before curling into a ball for comfort I decide to let it go.

No doubt he'll be exhausted tomorrow. After all, while there will be plenty of trainers to practice skill and technique with, there's also going to be trainers who are way above our current level. Hopefully some will be willing to trade pointers with me, while also showing my 2 teammates how to handle stressful and overwhelming odds.

While I intend to win every battle that counts, there's something to be said for learning more in defeat than victory. I'd rather learn as many of those lessons now while it doesn't mean as much.
    -
    A/N: Hey guys, I'm back!

This chapter was originally twice as long, but I've said several times now I want my chapters to be around the 2K-3K mark, and this time I mean it. I've broken down the Viridian section into two, with the next chapter (released either Sunday or Monday) involving some more interesting battles, before we move on to the road, and then finally Pewter and Michaels first Gym.

This chapter was mainly as a way to say that yeah, I'm still here you guys. Hopefully I'll try to upload more now, though I'm not gonna give a schedule. That was a mistake, since when I didn't have the energy for it and missed a deadline, It kinda just built up as even more of a reason not to continue.

Either way, I've settled on Michael being older than Ash, and therefore not being in the same circuit. I have a lot of cool ideas for Ash though, mainly for after the big time-skip I'm planning way WAY into the future.

Either way, please like, comment, correct, criticise, and spit on me if that's your thing. I tend to be pretty thick skinned so by all means be as blunt as you want.

Except to that A-hole on FF NET. You know who you are. It wasn't even your trolling that annoyed me, it was the fact you did it under a guest account.

Back in my day when we wanted to shit all over someone, we did it with our main accounts and took the counter flames and trolling like men.

28. ThunderBasilisk

ThunderBasilisk Well worn.

Awesome nice to see you back. Though people might give you grief over keep in Lancelot. I wonder what the next teammate will be?

29. Draegoon

Draegoon Demon Lord of Greed

Bear power go!

30. cazador

cazador Versed in the lewd.

Imagine if he mega evolves Beedrill no wings or legs

GruntLordRyan likes this.