1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for (T)RPG Systems/Mechanics

Discussion in 'General' started by Kelenas, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Kelenas

Kelenas Experienced.

As the thread title kinda hints, I'm looking for RPG systems with (good) rules or mechanics for some specific areas that - in my experience, at least - are generally not covered all that well, if at all, in more popular systems/settings like DnD.

The first would be crafting/item design systems. Or, perhaps more generally, design and creation systems in general.
    I know that DnD for example has some crafting rules, but those rules are generally along the lines of "if your character fulfills X requirements and pays Y resources, they can produce specific item Z, as statted out in the rulebooks", and IIRC a fair number of other systems are similar.
    I'm looking more for something that allows more flexibility for players (and GMs) to design their own stuff, with the rules providing a framework that tells the players (and GM) what is and isn't possible, and what sort of resources, requirements, time, etc. the resulting item/spell/vehicle/whatever might require.
    Bonus points if the mechanics are more generic and setting-independent, and focused on what the item/ability/whatever does, rather than necessarily as much on the how.

The second would be mechanics that cover the (inter)actions of larger-scale organizations and entities (ie, guilds, gangs, fiefdoms, companies, cults, etc), particularly with (N)PCs in positions of authority or relevance, and how their actions or inactions might influence things, and what sorts of benefits the (N)PCs might gain from it, or vice-versa.
    In somewhat broader terms, this should cover things like the damage that (N)PCs could inflict upon such an organization/entity with their actions (for example, superheroes taking out one of the bases of the evil organization). Or, on the opposite spectrum, the benefits an organization might gain from the (N)PC's actions (for example, thieves working to establish a new smuggling route for their guild).
    Another aspect should be the benefits (N)PCs might gain from organizations they're associated with, such as the evil priest drawing on his cult to provide him with sacrifices, research materials, etc that might make his efforts to oppose the hero (N)PCs more effective.
    And, ideally, some sort of rules for when organizations might interact or come into conflict without the involvement of notable player or non-player characters.
    I don't really recall any game system that does this at all, but I figure it's worth asking.

2. killgore444

killgore444 Versed in the lewd.

To answer both of your questions: Nope. They don't exist.

The reason is simple, game designers, like Hollywood writers, don't actually KNOW how things get designed, engineered and built. Think back to just a decade or two ago and look at how game, TV shows and movies portrayed plagues and finding a cure. Pretty sure from watching the news that they were all wrong (not a political post, but a comment on Hollywood).

Likewise, even the few games that try and work out design and manufacturing get it so wrong as to be laughable (seriously, never try and get me to play games like that, I've got more comments than a Medical Doctor being forced to watch General Hospital). Rifts has made several ill conceived attempts at it, but I can remember making a lot of negative comments about the rules to my GM when discussing them.

The closest I've seen to success on your first question is actually a war game called Battletech. The early editions had rules that were completely separate from the sample setting (unfortunately, that seems to have changed). It had clearly expressed and well thought out rule for a player creating a custom mech. With Citytech, and then Aerotech, you got rules for creating non-mech vehicles and then Aerospace fighters. Later editions screwed the ball on these rules however when the kept adding in more and more things you could make, and would contradict previous rules, or give rather poorly thought out exceptions for the writers favorite unit type.

It should be noted however, this was rules for the 'Player' to create something, not the 'Character' to do so.

As for your second question, the only examples I've ever seen that made an effort, where so poorly done and filled with wishful thinking and political bias as to be unable to post the names of for fear of violating the rules on politics here.

So good luck coming up with a system the players won't laugh at. I know I've laughed at several attempts by GMs I've played with before. Mostly we've just decided to keep it as abstract as possible.

~

Kelenas likes this.
  3. thompsja

thompsja Getting some practice in, huh?

Ars Magica. This is an old simulationist game that came out with its 5th edition in 2006. Unfortunately, the setting is Magical Europe in 1220 AD. A number of rules reinforce the setting. But it defines powers at a specific level, and if you want it to happen a greater distance, last for a longer time, or cover a larger area, the level goes up. To create a fire the size of a lit match is level 1, creating one that wounds is 10 and one that is likely to kill is 25. If you wanted to affect more people, or fill an entire room, the level goes up. More skilled people can create items faster than others, and working from a recipe (lab text) is much easier than working from scratch.

There are limits as to magic can and can't do. If characters discover an artifact from a bygone age, they can study it and learn how to develop that same effect.

This might be modeled with some sort of mass combat rules, but change it from military forces to economic, to resolve conflict.

But I'm not aware of a TTRPG that does this.

Kelenas likes this.
  4. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

I have heard, although I haven’t played and so can’t confirm how accurate this is, that Blades in the Dark and Legacy: Life Among the Ruins are designed to handle this.

Kelenas likes this.
  5. Malbutorius

Malbutorius Xenophile

For the first one I can absolutely suggest Hero System, as it is absolutely what you are looking for. As every character ability is custom designed in a point based system, and items are as simple as either declaring that it's an item Special Effects wise or giving it a specific drawback known as "Focus" that makes the source of the power independent of you, especially as the item design is entirely themed around the what rather than the why or how. You can design a dozen different attacks or abilities using minor variations of a single power based on advantages, drawbacks, and special effects.

The second one having mechanics for organization interaction is always weird as in the majority of systems that's far more a narrative thing rather than a hardline mechanical thing, as, well, it's usually something you'd want to tackle in a narrative sense rather than in a simulation sense.

EDIT: Apparently I may have misread it. Oh well, these systems are normally always narrative for a reason, and it's to allow freedom rather than restrict it.

Kelenas likes this.