1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Megris Musings

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by megrisvernin, Nov 8, 2018.

1. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

Just had a length dream sequence. Friend recommended I make a thread and post it here. It's a dream so expect some disconnected elements.

As my brain seems to do on interrupted sleep cycles it made a rather involved dream plot involving a scifi plot. Maybe it's because I've seen 'Stranger Things', but the premise involved me being a security guard at a facility, thru some series of events I murdered the other guards and got out a psychic. I had the feeling she was a private operation someone was running rather than a government plot though. I made contact with an information broker and sold all the bank accounts I took from the facility, though by far the larger contribution was the little girl having several secret accounts she had pulled from the mind of the person who bankrolled it who visited her a few times.

I remember the psychic girl saying something to convince the information broker of her abilities in the initial meeting. She was a bit leery as she usually doesn't get involved with messes of this scale.

She handed the little girl some bottle of alcohol or the psychic girl touched it, and said a quick line(edited)

I think a quote or turn or phrase. Attached to a resonant moment in information broker's past.

It basically was the reason she took them on. I remember that she actually didn't steal much from the funds she siphoned off. Their particular dynamic resonated strongly from her old past.

Apparently the information broker, really more of the kind of person who buys and sells tens of thousands of stolen identities and hacked accounts sort of thing, has a background as someone displaced by the Syrian Civil War, someone likewise smuggled out by an older male figure(I don't think dream me had a good handling on when the Syrian Civil War started), so she was more than a little sympathetic to the plight. Person sets me up with a cover identity and the girl somewhere after emptying out the accounts. I think she hired two older women to help keep up the house and look after the girl. Partly I think because she correctly reads that he's not really in any fit state to raise a child, and I think a certain distaste or background that security oriented types tend to not be good at the domestic side of things. And it's kinda out of the question to just hire on any old help given the secret identities.

The bodyguard is particularly bad at keeping to his assumed identity and struggles later with never able to talk to his family again. He's worried that if he makes contact it'll give an in for him to be tracked down.

Some oddly in def waff moments. I distinctly remembering dream me being a little unsteady on hits feet after everything, more than a little shakey. He was afraid to awake up to find everything that he dreamt it up, and sensing his unease psychic girl sleeps next to him, so he doesn't wake up alone. Sort of a reverse of the usual where an afraid child sleeps next to an adult.

The child reassuring the adult who is going thru some repressed trauma at the murder he had to do to get her out.

My brain apparently added a plotline where the information broker starts losing her impartiality and checking on us at a certain point. Former Bodyguard who is too afraid of upsetting the apple cart doesn't say anything, psychic girl lets the information broker know that he's attracted to her, and she doesn't need to make up excuses to hang around.

Very complicated pseudo dynamic works out. I remember aspects of it are quite tense at times as each member of the group takes on information broker roles. I remember some conversation about former bodyguarding noting he doesn't really care what the information broker does for a living, he's far from spotless and murdering the other staff, some of whom he'd gotten to know, likely means he's more responsible for more death than the information broker.

Whatever it takes to keep him and his adopted daughter safe is what he wants.

A bit about the information broker scaling back operations to be a bit hands on. The psychic girl, I think with odd genetic mutation for white hair, dies it I think later to match the hair color of the mother who I vivid recall having short black hair.

The bodyguard decides pretty early on that he sees the person who worked for to have stolen the psychic girl's future he wants to give her as normal a life as he can. And well being a psychic he's just going to be pretty straight with her on stuff. Not like he could conceal anything if he wanted, not that the guy is really good at hiding that sort of thing anyways.

Information broker later does some digging and because this was done in secret by the main big bad, when he died there wasn't a lot of people alive with knowledge of what happened, and the information broker had siphoned off a lot of secret slush funds, tens of millions?, so there wasn't much interest digging when it was clear everything was stolen.

Much later, after they've settled into an odd family like dynamic, she reaches out to one of his brothers and coaches him through a short written speech about things he can say to him. Mostly a "I'm not dead speech".

There's the obvious hmm, Conflict of them being on assumed identities And he really can't give her too normal a life out of fear something will slip. She is a kid after all.

The two women helping to keep up the house are older I think 50s, there are strong under currents that they've done this sort of thing before

Usually on a more temporary nature I think, the male former bodyguard is much more handson with his assumed daughter than most father figures are.(edited)

It helps that he lost all his ties and their financial situation is sort of handled. He doesn't have any job to worry about, though he's a bit hapless at some things.

The first is that psychic girl eventually takes to calling the male figure Papa at some point, likely because she's reading his intentions and fears.

She later calls the information broker mother too, after their pseudo family is set up but before the information broker and former bodyguard are too romantically in.

There's a strong sense that while there's attraction between them, the tie to her is a bit stronger.

I remember a far future scene when the information broker and bodyguard do get married.

I have the vague sense the information broker's various contacts ARE invited, in particular the male who got her out of the civil war.

She didn't expect him to show up

As the two haven't talked in a while. There's a funny meeting between him and the former bodyguard.

I remember a bridal carry happens at some point between information broker and former bodyguard.