1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod Voices

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Kinematics, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Kinematics

Kinematics Well worn.

Currently mods have a "mod voice" that's simply a specific font color for their text. This is generally workable, but doesn't always work well with all themes. A recent example was gibbousmoons' comment in the Tantric is Magic thread. A couple people pointed out that it doesn't work well in the default XenForo theme, and I'll note that it looks even worse in the UI.X Light theme. (See picture: here)

However, QQ has the tables BBCode addon, which gives access to a very important feature: Background color.

In addition, owrtho made some nice 'fake' forum code over on SV (here), and one of the things provided was mod alert boxes (bottom of page 3).

I'm wondering if the mods here might at least consider using some basic setup to allow clearly unambiguously readable text when they provide notices in threads.

Examples:

Stop doing that.
    Stop doing that.
    Stop doing that.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut nisl augue, condimentum eget purus et, laoreet pellentesque leo. Fusce at eros faucibus urna auctor egestas nec placerat nulla. Integer ante enim, consequat at est ac, dictum congue nisl. Sed eu sagittis orci. Praesent pharetra velit ut nulla condimentum suscipit. Pellentesque egestas odio nec porta aliquet. Pellentesque in felis odio. Aliquam faucibus bibendum eros, id semper libero porttitor facilisis.
    (The pink border is Biigoh's mod color.)

It's just four lines of code, and replacing what's being said in one spot. Slightly more work than just coloring text, but if you don't have 'official' mod boxes, this works as a substitute, and gets rid of the problem of using explicit colored text against a wide variety of theme background colors.

Code:
    [xtable=border:3|border-color:#fa0|bcolor:#201000|bcenter|95%x@]{tbody}{tr}
    {td=30x@|bcolor:#000}[size=9][color=#fa0][b]⚠[/b][/color][/size]{/td}
    {td}[color=#ddd]Stop doing that.[/color]{/td}
    {/tr}{/tbody}[/xtable]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    GiftofLove, dasstan, Ddmkm122 and 2 others like this.
  2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

3. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Meh. Bigger and flashier is not something I'm interested in.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Honestly it usually takes just as much time for me to make the modpost itself as it does to actually do anything with mod-powers. I'm not interested in making that process even one step more complicated than it is.

If you can't read what a mod post says because you're using a light theme and the color of the text is light, or a dark them with a dark color, just highlight it. If I want big and flashy yo'll get a picture of Disapointed Gendo or Upset Nui.

Morphile, Ddmkm122 and Shadow Wolf75 like this.
  5. Kinematics

Kinematics Well worn.

The purpose is not 'flashy'. The purpose is 'readable'. The added color was solely because you guys already do 'flashy' with the mod colors, so I left it viable as a border color. Though I'll admit to a little indulgence with the warning symbol.

For the very simplest definition, there's something like this:

Stop doing that.
    Code:
    [xtable=bcolor:#210|100%x@]{tbody}{tr}
    {td}[color=#ddd]Stop doing that.[/color]{/td}
    {/tr}{/tbody}[/xtable]

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

There's also the modboxes like SV has. Those do *wave* all of that in a single BB code, and a bit more to boot.

Of course, it's an addon, which means "is it in the budget?" becomes relevant. If it's a reasonably small one-time cost, I'm tempted to offer to spring for it myself, but I don't know if it's a one-time cost and I don't know where to look to figure that out.

Morphile and Ddmkm122 like this.