1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help and input

Discussion in 'General' started by Apexhunter64, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Apexhunter64

Apexhunter64 Know what you're doing yet?

Hello, first thread on QQ and I’m already asking for help(lol). I am trying to come up with a Gamer system for a couple of story ideas I have floating around in my head. So what I need help with is coming with some abilities and some perks and such.

Now in my system that I kind of am making up, perks affect the users body, mind, and soul only. Meaning a perk will not benefit anyone other then the system user. Abilities on the other hand affects the world around the user. So say some like power strike, it would increase the damage of an attack instead of increasing the user’s overall strength.

Now some of you may have read that last paragraph and wonder to yourself, ‘What about passives?’ Well the way passives work is they don’t directly effect the player or the world. I will be giving examples of all three in a second.

Now where I need help is coming with some of all three of these parts of the system. And to help everyone understand what I am kind of looking for, here are some examples of the abilities, perks, and passives I have already come up with for my system.

Passive Example;

The Devil’s Luck(Max): User gains a supernatural intuition that if follow will lead to resounding success, or utter failure if ignored. However user cannot detriment if the success or failure will or will not be in their favor.

Ability Example;

Blink(1/10): User gains the ability to blink X away from their current location. X is determined by current ability level. X = 10 feet

Perk Example;

Monkey See Monkey Do: The user need only watch someone/something perform an action once and their body will be able to replicate the action from memory from then on. Example, user sees someone/something chopping vegetables, the user will be able to copy and perform their technique of chopping vegetables.

So I would be open to any ideas or suggestions people have on this system. Side note for the perks, I’m trying to use word phrases and such for the perk names, a coupe of examples I have for perks are, A Picture Will Last Longer, Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better, and That That Doesn’t Kill Me Makes Me Stronger.

Again any help, ideas, or circumstances are greatly appreciated.

P.S. to the admins and moderators, if this was posted in the wrong forum apologize as I am still new to using the forum for anything other than reading. Feel free to move and and berate me for being ignorant.

2. fluxoid

fluxoid Now I am become hunger, destroyer of snacks.

You might get more useful responses if you change the thread title to something that reflects the actual topic (e.g. "Looking for help designing perks and abilities for Gamer fiction").

Also, some context would be nice. Do your protagonists need the ability to craft spray-on dragon repellent? Better computer hacking? Identifying magic items? Help outmaneuvering alien space-fighters? The power to manipulate love-rivals into public embarrassment?

On a more technical level: How do perks and abilities function in your setting(s)? Do characters have stats? If so, what are they and how do they work? If not, what do you use instead and how does that work?

It's really not easy to come up with interesting non-generic perks that are totally independent of both setting and system. I suspect that this, and the thread title, are largely responsible for the lack of replies (I know there are plenty of game enthusiasts on this site).

For what it's worth, here's a passive perk that works in most settings:

[Smartypants]
    You gain (+1 to mental attributes / insight into puzzles and mysteries) but your habit of drawing attention to this results in (-1 to social interaction rolls / people not liking you as much), the negative affect scales inversely with the intelligence of your interlocutor.