1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Forum(s): Story Archive

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by evildice, Jan 12, 2015.

1. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Basically just a sub-forum to Creative Writing and Quests, but with the rule that only the thread's creator can reply.

This would enable archiving stories without the possibility of accidental contamination.

Also, I've heard some forums have special "Beta Feedback" areas, but I've never used one of those myself.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Hmm. I'd have to investigate XF's facilities to see if that's possible automatically, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Even if not, could just have mods delete any miscellaneous posts as a rule.

Sounds like a good idea to me, but it's a large enough change I'd want to hear from @tehelgee before implementing it.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

The two quest forums have archives already, and back when the forum was running SMF, only the thread creators could post in a thread started there.

I'll investigate the necessary permissions to recreate that ability again. Shouldn't be difficult.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. alethiophile

May be a good idea to put them in CrW as well, just for completeness' sake.

Ddmkm122 and evildice like this.
  5. alethiophile

Looking over the admin options and googling around, it doesn't seem there's an option for "only OP can reply to threads". Probably it'd be just as workable, though, to just make it a rule of the forum and then have users report any posts not by OP.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. tehelgee

Yeah, I've been looking.

Only real option would be to let people lock/unlock threads in those forums... problem is, anyone would be able to lock/unlock threads, not just the thread creator. I've been looking at add-ons to allow people to just lock/unlock their own threads, but the couple I found that add those permissions cost money. :(

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Well... I don't mind deleting/moving posts from the archive if they get reported.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. tehelgee

As per the new notice, this has been accomplished.

New archive subforum in Creative Writing too, to allow authors to post their stories there and have discussion threads elsewhere.

EDIT: And before anyone worries, I found an add-on to do it for free, so it didn't cost us anything.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Ddmkm122, evildice and alethiophile like this.
  9. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

You peeps are awesome.

Thanks!

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. tehelgee

You're welcome.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

You know... it occurs to me that we don't have a separate [NSFW] CrW area.

We should probably fix that.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. alethiophile

It's usually gone in NSFW General, and seems to be the majority in there (alongside miscellaneous discussion e.g. eroge recs). I don't think there's really a pressing need to change it, but...?

(Though if it is going to be the de facto NSFW CrW, it should probably have a story archive subforum as well.)

Ddmkm122 and Xicree like this.
  13. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Well they go there cause there's no definitive one, and actually having one may encourage their proper placement and storage. As well as possibly encouraging more of us to write and place things there.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. tehelgee

I can't quite recall the reasoning behind not having one in the first place. I think it was due to not wanting to open with too many empty forums; that could be a bit intimidating.

I'll create the necessary forums. No reason for them not to be there, now.

Ddmkm122 and Xicree like this.
  15. tehelgee

Mission accomplished.

Also, multiple tags are not allowed per thread, so I made a new one. [NSFW Archive], which is a mandatory prefix for all threads in the NSFW CrW Archive and NSFW Quest Archive.

Ddmkm122 and evildice like this.
  16. alethiophile

I'd tend to be against having a separate NSFW CrW forum, just because that would require moving a whole bunch of threads for proper categorization, it would throw people off, and there's no actual need for it. As of this moment, it's just an empty forum to no purpose. Maybe move the NSFW CrW archive under NSFW General?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. tehelgee

Well, it's empty because it's brand new. We'll give it some time and see if the userbase accepts it as separate. If not, we'll make it a subforum to the NSFW General forum.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. alethiophile

The problem is that, if we do leave that to play out, NSFW stories would be spread across two forums in a confusing fashion. If we were to have it split out, we should just move all the relevant threads over; if we weren't (my preference), we should leave them in General and drop the Archive subforum there. (Having NSFW CrW as a subforum of General has the same issue; we'd either have to move threads, or have them split in a disorderly way.)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. tehelgee

True, and I made sure to mention moving threads over in the notice. If they were already listed as stories, I'd do it myself.

Ddmkm122 likes this.