1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For a trial period of one week, allowed avatar size has been increased to 256kb, up from 51.2kb. During this time, if the forum seems to be loading slow, drop by the topic in the Announcements & Rules sub to let me know.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. QQ will be down for upgrades starting at 2030 EDT. Please be prepared and save any work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. To the many new members following Mr Zoat to our forum, I would suggest a quick read of our Rules. Don't worry, it's not a long post. Pay special attention to Rule 8. We are deadly serious about it.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. To make things official, I have added a proper description of the method to appeal a moderator action in the Rules thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Oakman's miscellaneous short stories [mostly original fiction, probably]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by John_Oakman, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: intro and story 1
    John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

Well, I noticed that when I'm feeling down (maybe depression? Nah, probably just me being melodramatic again) I find that writing short stories tend to release a lot of that negativity. So I might as well throw them here.

---------------------------------------------------------

So this first story is a parody of the iseaki genre (well, specifically some of the back cover summaries of those works of the genre), which despite liking the genre I tend to despise the bulk of the work.

No thanks, my regrets are mine, and my alone​

“You are dead, Kal.” The voice said out of the endless darkness.

“About time.” Kal answered. At least he thought he did. He certainly didn’t feel his mouth or throat moved at any point, not that he expect them to. It’s been a while since he could really use those organs in a meaningful manner.

“Hmm, you are an arrogant little one aren’t you?” The voice said. “Do you have any idea who you are conversing with?”

“Does it really matter? Kal asked. “If this is a mere hallucination then nothing matters as none of it’s real. If I’m truly dead then what happen has happened, and nothing matters since I’m out of the living world.”

“Really? Do you think the universe is that simple?”

“Maybe? Does it matter?”

“Irregardless,” The voice continued. “The fact of the matter is that you are dead, your soul has gone from the mortal coil.”

“And?”

“And I, as the god of-”

“Oh for fuck’s sake, not this petty ass shit.” If Kal could still have felt his face and hands, he would have facepalmed right then and there.

“If I were you, I would not be so uppity.” The voice said with a hint of harshness. “I am the manager of the souls of the multiverse.”

“I don’t know, you seems more like a intern to me.” Not that Kal could actually see anything. “I mean, who else would give a shit about someone as little and insignificant as me?”

“Your comprehension is truly pitiful.” The being said, seemingly annoying at the course of the conversation, “But enough of that. There is business to be done. A matter of the reincarnation of your soul to another world...”

“No thanks.” Kal replied immediately but decisively.

“What?” The being was shocked. No one has so flatly rejected such a proposal before. Sure, there was plenty of those who needed time to mull over the matter, or those who needed time to get over the notion that their religious beliefs during the past life was incorrect, but no one simply rejects such an offer. “Don’t you have plenty of regrets in that past life of yours? I know you do.”

Then the entity, the so called god, begin to list all of Kal’s mistakes of his past life. “You cut yourself off from those around you, thereby cutting yourself from opportunities and advancements. You never even tried to court a girl because you set unrealistic expectations for yourself, expectations that you knew you could never reach. Your toxic notions on the expectations of the world around you drove your mind to the depths of depression. You worked yourself to an early grave because you never had the guts to face your own demons. Oh, and one more thing.” Even without a face to be seen, Kal could hear a smug smirk. “That little fortune you left behind has made some lawyers very wealthy, not so much for your relatives who fought over them. No one will remember you in a few weeks, as if you had never existed to begin with.”

“And?” Kal was determined to not show any hint of cracks in his defiance, although he does wonder if said god has the ability to read his unspoken thoughts.

“Don’t you want to do an over again? To live a life without regrets? You know I can bestow upon you some perks for your next life.”

“No, absolutely not.” Kal’s defiance hardened. He was fully confident of his next words. “My regrets are my. They are the consequences of my decisions and choices in my life. I will not run away from them, nor forsaken them for the shallow fleshly pleasure of a regretless existence. They have made me, mold me, into who I am.”

“Stubborn to the end, or should I say, even after the end. You really shouldn’t take refugee in your misery.”

“I’m not, for I am taking responsibility for the choices of my life. To run away, to take the easy path, would have been the height of cowardness.”

“You know this is not some secret test of character, or perhaps you are too dense to realize that? You are dead, what happened has happened. There is no one but me to hear your grandstanding.”

“What you hear if what I believe from the bottom of my soul. I may have lived a life full of regrets, but the sum of it all was a worthy journey.”

“Oh.” Came the reply. “Well then, off you go.” A light begin to emniate off in the distance.

“Wait, what?” for the first time Kal was unsure of what’s going on.

“What, you think you had a choice in the matter? You are going to get reincarnated whether you like or not.” The voice was already moving towards the distance. “There is no eternal oblivion or paradise.”

“So be it. I am me, I’ll always be me!” Kal thought he last thoughts as the light consumed him…

-------------------------------

lightdreamer senpai, please notice me. ;)

Okay seriously your analysis and tastes in the isekai genre has really helped me a lot (in this and other writings that aren't on QQ yet), just want to express my gratitude here.

(seriously, I'm not sarcastic here. Damn it sometimes I really hate the part of the internet where everyone will interpret everything as sarcastic snark)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    TanaNari likes this.
  2. lightdreamer

lightdreamer Know what you're doing yet?

Huh? I never really did any serious analysis. It's more of me ranting more than anything.

Glad to hear that anyway. :)

3. Threadmarks: Story 2
    John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

The Last Computation​

The universe was ending.

It wasn’t inevitable, the heat death of the universe might have been set by the laws of physics, but it wasn’t as the mere entirety of the universe was all there was. There was potential for so much more, so much potential, so much hopes and dreams.

But it was coming nevertheless, the chance came and pass without anyone to seize the moment, and now there was nothing to do but circling the drain.

It was a time of endings, an unnatural but inevitable winding down of the pulse of activity.

In a rather unremarkable part of a galaxy lies a rather unremarkable system. Unremarkable in all features except for its youth, it was one of the youngest stars, perhaps one of the last stars born in the universe. Feeding off of its heat was an simple dyson swamp, the energy they dutifully gathered feeding to a rather ordinary supercomputer. Ordinary by the standards of the times, but still representing a concentration of computing power that rivals the collective efforts of entire civilizations.

The supercomputer calmly worked on its computation. With all its effort and power it quietly hums along, seemingly oblivious to the dying universe around it. If it weren’t so busy at its duties it might have developed sapiance, and questioned its duty, purpose, and meaning of its existence. But there wasn’t time for that, it has its order to obey, its duties to do.

As the star winked out all across the universe, never to be lit again, civilizations collapsed and refugees fled. To the last stars that still shine. To live for a few moments more, regardless of how meaningful those moments would have been. Wars broke out, expending the last of their energies on meaningless carnage, the very essence they needed to live just one more moment.

The system was well defended, and fought back all threats. Automated defense drones, the products of long dead geniuses, continued their last duties with the same proficiency right up to the very end.

It was all too soon when the star itself begin to dim, finally running out fuel to continue its existence. With the last of their strength, the drones and swarms of the system pushed the supercomputer away, away from the last of the dying star, out into the endless void.

Now alone and cold out of of the only home it knew, and with the last of its energy, the supercomputer tirelessly continued its computation. With its dying thought it did finished it. It wasn't all in vain after all.

It mined the last bitcoin, the final possible bitcoin in all of the universe.

There was no celebrations, no congratulations. Only the endless silence and cold of the void. Of a universe in absolute zero. Of not a single motion even at the atomic level. But at least it had all the bitcoins.

lightdreamer likes this.