1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

On a Similar Path (Dark Harry 'Harry Potter' story)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by AoMythology, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Extras: Information
    AoMythology

AoMythology Know what you're doing yet?

Thanks for the kind words. It IS the Scarcrux, and I had this to say (the following is from a post I made on another forum) :

As for the scar Voldemort, even if he contains 'more parts' of Tom Riddle than any soul fragment other than the Diary Horcrux, he remains an accidental creation and most importantly has Lily's protection to contend with; thus, he doesn't possess Tom Riddle's subtlety and has had a hard time in its attempts to trick Harry, much less take him over. Normally, any kind of strong emotion from Harry would be a detriment to the one trying to possess him, though positive emotions would still be the best, but negative emotions were and are a detriment for Harry here because of some bullsh!t in the way Lily's protection and the scar fragment interact.

I'll say this on the Horcruxes: I don't subscribe to the 'halving' hypothesis ('First Horcrux (H1): 1/2, original LV 1/2, then on H2 original LV has 1/4, with an eight part soul meaning OLV has 1/128 of his original soul). In fact, I'm reluctant to quantify the soul at all. With that said, while I won't use any maths, I will say that the Diary Horcrux and the Scar Fragment each contain 'more' of Voldemort's soul than the rest of the pieces combined, though the latter can't bring that to bear because of Lily. The reason is that someone more experienced with terrible magic, and the creation of a Horcrux in particular, is able to mutilate their soul 'less'. So an accidental fragment due to an unstable soul, or the first Horcrux made... when one is barely 16 at that, is going to affect the original's soul a lot more. The barest part of a soul is enough to assure the same level and form of invulnerability.

Also a few things that are not in this continuity, both fanon and canon, mainly spells related:

1)The Severing Charm, Diffindo, can kill just as easily as a Curse
    Nope! The Severing Charm is what it is. It can cut inanimate things as seen in canon, but a throat is all but impossible, at least at any distance greater than 5 cm (~2 in.). I'm pretty sure that this Charm being mostly harmless holds true in canon, too.

Related to the previous, 2)the Reductor ('Reducto') can easily kill
    Nope! In canon, from what I remember, we've only seen objects be destroyed by this. 'Confringo' (the Blasting Curse) probably can kill if powerful enough (and if the enemy hasn't managed to put up a good Shield)... it doesn't target an object or person, but an area, too. 'Bombarda' is an inferior version of 'Confringo' that has been mostly abandoned for the purposes of this fic - it's film-only (movie-only) for a reason (because it's redundant). 'Expulso', which in this fic is a more powerful Transfiguration analogue to the Reductor can kill though*, but it works slowly once it hits and is relatively easily countered with a simple 'Reparifarge' if the target is good enough to get an E in Transfiguration NEWTS. It CAN buy enough time to properly finish off the enemy, on the other hand.

3)Obliviation is permanent
    I don't see this cliche much anymore, but I never liked it, even before we found out about Hermione's parents being Obliviated.(*2) That's because in Book 4 (Goblet), Voldemort very clearly undid an Obliviation, and the reason he used the Cruciatus is that Crouch had overpowered that Obliviation, and likely also because Voldemort didn't have much patience.

4)While the HP wiki seems to believe 'Finite' and 'Finite Incantatem' is the same spell, in this fic's continuity, the latter is not exactly the same, but an unrestrained version of the former, able to undo an entire large room's effects, as long as the ones who made those effects are a lot weaker than the caster (say, a class of second-years versus Snape).

5)There are no Time Turners in this, or rather, what one allows is a single copy of a person a la Shadow Clone (from 'Naruto'), not time travel.(*3)

6)'Protego' doesn't protect against physical impacts
    Nope! The regular Shield Charm in this continuity is really, really strong against physical impacts, especially blunt ones. (Modern bullets, which have points in front and greater speed are a bigger threat than the spherical, though normally devastating, guns of the 1600s). On the other hand, 'Protego' is also weak to spells, unlike most fanon; it can only weaken most curses without a power or skill advantage on the user's part, not stop them.
    It's Conjured physical Shields that are only 'decent' against physical impacts but truly great against spells, as we saw with Voldemort versus Dumbledore.

* I wanted a curse which is based on Transfiguration, that's why I changed the Expulso Curse into that. I also want Dolohov to be great at Transfiguration.
    *2 If one wants to have drama based on that, they could just say there is no way to reverse an Obliviation on a Muggle
    *3 There's no crossover, so don't fret

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  2. Extras: Death of a Warrior
    AoMythology

AoMythology Know what you're doing yet?

This may or may not happen this way in the future.

Sidestory: Death of a Warrior

-----
    -----

Bellatrix Black was there, unaware that anyone was around – all Harry had to do was to cast a curse to kill her; hopefully, this wouldn’t compromise his primary objective. Bellatrix was the first person to ever escape Azkaban, unbeknownst to the Ministry at the time – thanks to an Imperiused, Polyjuiced patsy who committed suicide soon after; Bellatrix was equally as skilled at the Imperius as she was at the Cruciatus.

Severus,’ Harry said in his mind, casting Snape’s Curse, ‘Sectumsempra’ – a modified version of the Severing Charm (Diffindo), which Harry had modified further to be cast faster, at centre mass.

Ironically, the incantation was Snape's name. Harry had a complicated relationship with his Potions professor; of course, if he ever named something more important, like his own child, after the man… well, Harry should be committed to St. Mungo’s for finally cracking.

Harry watched the curse sail the seven metres between his wand and Bellatrix’s back as if in slow motion; three to go. One-

Bellatrix, as if sensing the danger, suddenly sidestepped to the left; a shimmer (a wandless rudimentary magical Shield?) appeared on her right side, deflecting the curse just enough for it to miss her, pushing her to spin counter-clockwise. She completed the twirl, and Harry thought, ‘Protego!’ on reflex.

Thunk!

A- a throwing knife…? It nearly got me in the chest, and I’m invisible! How…? Fortunately, ‘Protego’ works against both physical and magical threats.

Harry threw himself away with the momentum, just in time to get some distance from an object coming his way.

Boom!

The object exploded, making Harry’s Shield Charm strain, then disappear with a mostly inaudible ‘pop’, but Harry had already managed to avoid injury. Unfortunately, the flashing colours from the paint on Harry’s skin and clothes rendered his Disillusionment Charm useless, so he let it dissipate.

‘It’s similar to a paint bomb, except lethal… the paint is probably magical, too!’ Harry thought, a bit worried but still confident.

From that point on, Harry could only react, not think. Sidestep, then Piercing Hex(*) ; banishing away a thrown knife, then Conjuring a physical shield made of bronze for an unknown red-coloured Curse. Shit!

Harry’s entire frame shook, the Curse Bellatrix had sent at his shield making it vibrate to the point he was affected too – he had to throw the shield and make it burst, taking what fragments remained of itself and the Curse Bellatrix’s way; he sent himself into a controlled dive with some help from his wandless magic. Harry felt a sharp pain in his calf, letting out a yelp, but making sure to Conjure a ‘surprise’ or two, and imbue them with poison, compulsions and stealth spells wandlessly.

Harry heard crystal clear laughter, then he saw Bellatrix’s face. She looked young and sane, unexpectedly, and was also hauntingly beautiful; her thick, lustrous dark hair, long eyelashes and surprisingly expressive brown eyes, as well as her high cheekbones, tall frame and her overall demeanour gave the impression of a queen or princess from a film, or times past. The sweet smile on her thin lips and flush on her cheeks could have an onlooker believe she was about to meet with her lover….

Bellatrix’s smile widened, and she came to a stop near Harry. She still kept her wand trained on him, and Harry his own trained on her. Harry felt slightly faint and nauseous, soon realising that the knife in his calf had been poisoned… he barely managed to keep himself from smirking. That ritual Master Flamel had persuaded him to go through, with use of Basilisk fang (from the one he had slain in the Chamber of Secrets); Phoenix Tears, willingly given (which Master Flamel had had to be persuaded to part with despite it having been his idea, using up nearly half of his stash according to the man. Harry was sure that the old, lying bastard hadn’t even used a fifth) ; Hemlock and twelve Bezoars was truly proving its worth.

Bellatrix spoke, saying, “that was an amazing fight, for your age at least, Harry Potter! It is a pity there is going to be no second round,” her smile turning feral.

Harry shot a Curse at her, casting silently, like he had for the entire battle, but she batted it away, and Harry dropped his wand on the floor, saying, “what- did-”

Bellatrix laughed again, but her laughter held a tinge of insanity, showing at last. Harry shot a wandless Full-Body Bind at her the moment he thought she was off-guard, and somehow, it worked!

Crunch!

Harry’s conjured snakes had bitten into Bellatrix’s legs, and Harry palmed his wand again, using the spell Athena Ross had made out of a Transfiguration accident her cousin, Baruffio, had been responsible for, centuries before Harry’s time: ‘Expulso,’ Harry thought.

From such a distance- no. Bellatrix redirected it using a small wandless shield. Harry had no time to marvel at how quickly she broke the Body-Bind before he had to dodge, hearing "Crucio!" from the dangerous woman. He stumbled a bit, his injured leg unable to take his weight.

Shnikt!

A second knife found its target in an off-balance Harry’s left side, but it didn’t manage to do more than graze his ribs. He looked up, seeing Bellatrix’s hands shake; he couldn’t assume that she didn’t have some kind of poison resistance of her own, though, so he cast ‘Severus’ at centre mass again, managing to cut off a few of Bellatrix’s fingers due to her dodging, making her let out a high-pitched shriek. Harry removed the knife from his calf and banished it at Bellatrix with a single spell, ‘Waddiwasi’(*2), letting out a grunt in his pain. He was nearly hit by her Killing Curse due to the distraction, but managed to Conjure a block of marble between the two of them at the last moment, not daring to try moving again.

Harry was breathing really hard. He could hear multiple footsteps coming around the corner and, knowing that his infiltration had failed, he cast a temporary counter for the Anti-Portkey Jinx for good measure; used a Transfiguration spell, then a variation of the Banishing Charm on a Bellatrix who was down with a knife in her eye; then murmured, “Confringo,” the Blasting Curse, the first time in the battle he had vocalised a spell. He immediately fiddled with his necklace in a particular way, which was obviously an illegal Portkey. As he felt the tug on his navel, he heard screams of fear, then a booming sound, making him smile at permanently taking out at least one enemy in Bellatrix, likely more.

Considering the fact that the transfiguration he had used on Bellatrix combined with the Blasting Curse essentially turned her into a powerful Fragmentation Grenade… well, it was unlikely that ‘dear Bella’ had been the only one to die. ‘Fortunately, I got the timing right; otherwise, I would have been shredded to pieces, too,’ Harry thought, his heart still pounding in excitement and a hint of fear.

The dark tones and somewhat oppressive atmosphere of Grimmauld Place, Number 12 greeted him from his position on the floor, with Kreacher fussing over him. A hilarious thought had Harry in hysterics, ‘not too long ago, Kreacher would be beside himself not out of worry – only because I’ve bled on the carpet.’

“Master is delirious, looks more colourful than barmy old Headmaster and has landed on his behind, which he has not done in months; blood loss must be severe,” Kreacher said, making Harry laugh more.

-----
    -----

*It’s similar to a gun’s bullet, without the bullet.

*2 Yes, I did just make that spell useful in a fight to the death. :) Obviously, in this, it doesn’t just work on soft material, or Harry managed to modify it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020