1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

One Positive Change at a Time (ASOIAF: Viserys SI) Dead.

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Flightless Man, Oct 12, 2021.

?

Future wife (need time to shape things in the chosen direction)

Poll closed Nov 5, 2021.
  1. Brienne of Tarth

47 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Arianne Martell

158 vote(s)
    40.8%
  3. Margery Tyrell

184 vote(s)
    47.5%
  4. Asha Greyjoy

64 vote(s)
    16.5%
  5. Ygritte

47 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Sarella Sand

22 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Nymeria Sand

31 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. Tyene Sand

15 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Mya Stone

44 vote(s)
    11.4%
  10. Rhaenys Martell

135 vote(s)
    34.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Threadmarks: Chapter 8: That's Sneaky
    Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Chapter 8: That’s Sneaky
    Alliser Thorne

The iron shackles chaining my wrists to the hull have started to rub the skin raw and I just want to wrap them around that damned cowards throat. Jaime Lannister handed King Viserys right to his father and the other invaders, no doubt forcing him to surrender the throne.

Even as Jeremy and I led a defense on the walls, the city burned below us at the hands of the Lannisters. The Wall or my life left me no choice but to take the black, with nearly a hundred guardsmen choosing the same fate.

Good loyal men and now we go to die with criminals in the snow. The recruiter lies well but I know this will be no grand adventure. The only reason good men go willingly to this death sentence is to stop the rest of the scum from revolting.

When the deck hatch flips open to spill blinding light upon us in the hold, I close one eye immediately to keep some of my sight for whatever happens next. A body falling inside with is not what I expect, nor the cheery greeting from a vaguely familiar voice.

“Who here actually wants to go North and freeze?” No one answers the man who climbs down the iron rungs. “Didn’t think so. So show of hands, who would rather turn this ship South and put our King back on the throne?”

He turns to face us and I can finally recognize Lord Jon Connington, once the Hand of King Aerys. “All of you want to see justice done… good.”

Snorting at the fact our hands are suspended above us, I find myself wondering where exactly he plans to go and if he even means the right King. “What about the rest of the crew?” We still have nearly forty armed men to defeat if this going to work.

“A friend helped me replace enough with our own allies, the rest decided to swim for shore.” He unlocks my shackles first, the benefit of having the stones to speak “Now who would you be? You’re not some lowborn.”

“Ser Alliser Thorne at your service Lord Connington,” Once I’m free I rub feeling back into my aching wrists. “Sers Rykker, Celtigar, and Rambton are also true to the Targaryens.”

Better not make my own preference for Viserys known yet, Connington was one of Prince Rhaegar’s closest friends. Besides, I’m not even sure my fellows will agree with me.

“If anyone doesn’t want to join me in the Stepstones you had better start swimming now.” He smirks arrogantly and I grit my teeth silently at the sight of it. “We’re almost past Tarth and will be sailing out of sight of shore soon.”

“But that’s full of pirates!” Complains one of the more cowardly guards with a petulant whine. “Why go to the Stepstones?”

“Because it will conceal our planning until we are ready.” Explains the pacing Lord Connington with blind confidence in things working exactly the way he wants. “It’s going to take time to gather those loyal to our cause and no one will mind us keeping our skills sharp on pirates while we wait.”

Following him up into the afternoon sun I squint until my eyes adjust. Some of the crew is swabbing parts of the deck, the water coming away pink. Swam to shore my ass, you just want to come across all heroic so no one rejects you.

Counting the current crew and comparing them to how many I saw while being led on board, it looks like we’re down about fifteen men. The ‘missing’ sailors are already being replaced with those of us that have any experience on the waves.

Oberyn Martell
    “He betrothed Rhaenys to the Imp!” The news shocks me to my feet and I need to pace off this anger. “How could you accept such an offer?”

Rhaenys hears my outburst as she plays with Sarella and Tyene in the water, the happy splashing coming to an end without myself being aware. Elia though just crosses her arms dismissively and snorts at my rage.

“The only reason my children and I are alive right now is because of Viserys.” My sister isn’t wrong, but my darling niece and the boy’s own mother are the ones paying for his terms of surrender. “He did as promised and kept Rhaenys safe for me. I will not blame a child for my late husband’s actions.”

“He could have tried harder, instead of throwing her at the littlest Lannister.”

Understanding hits Rhaenys over what is being discussed and she ends up being the one to silence me for now. “Is being little bad?” Scrunching her face up in adorable worry soothes my fiery blood. “… Am I bad?”

“Of course you aren’t dear, your uncle is just being himself.” My brother side steps answering the question with a glare leveled at me. The unspoken insults hang thick in the air between Doran and I, while Rhaenys doesn’t seem bothered.

“I don’t care if my husband is little,” She firmly decides with the same determined eyes as her mother. “Viserys is little and he’s nice. Grand Father was big and he scared me.”

I’m not going to change a Martell woman’s mind once they decide on something, so it’s best I get on board now… or at least keep my plotting far more secretive. “So long as Tyrion is nice to you, this doesn’t bother you?”

She thinks about it for a little bit longer and comes up with a few more criteria that I will be sure to pass along. “I miss Father singing to me… I hope Tyrion knows how to play something. And Balerion has to like him.” That condition we can both agree on.

“Those are very fair terms,” My sister holds a hand over her mouth to hide the amused smile. “What about the rest of you, what do you demand in your future husbands?”

Arianne and Obara take the time to consider it over the game of stones the two are playing, Sarella however needs no such time to decide. “He needs to be smart… and take lots of baths.”

“I won’t marry a man Father can defeat.” Counters my second eldest Nymeria and I can only smile at the false belief. It will not be me who faces your eventual suitors, you are well on your way to having the skill to do so yourself.

“What about you Tyene, what’s most important in a suitor?” Elia asks the most shy of my four girls with a welcoming voice. Tyene and Sarella have only seen my sister a couple times but Sarella is to curious to let the nerves win out.

“Someone fun, I don’t want some boring old man.” She turns her nose up promptly at the idea.

Obara goes next with prompting from my niece who has yet to make up her mind. “If they can make me laugh, I guess it doesn’t really matter who I fall in love with.” At least one of you is thinking straight, I’m going to need to speak with your sisters about their priorities.

“Whoever Father decides will be my best match.” Grumbles Arianne finally, making my brother roll his eyes at her anger. She didn’t like learning how easily Rhaenys and herself could just be given away and will be my ally in sharing the truth of Viserys.

He might just be a boy but after Rhaella’s wedding… Viserys will be the last Targaryen left with the name. It may seem like he’s given each Kingdom an equal hostage but outside of Dorne he will be the one followed in reclaiming the throne.

Aegon has six years before he is off to the Vale and Rhaenys will be off to the Rock that same year to my sister’s grim acceptance. Tywin demands his due and he will ward Rhaenys to ensure she is a fit bride for his son. Though I think it’s the first time he’s ever called Tyrion that in writing.

“I hope Viserys ends up with a Frey, he’ll disappear like he wants in that swarm of weasels.” My brilliant comment gains no laughter, only a pair of raised eyebrows from my siblings. “What? That was hilarious.”

“No need to lie Prince Oberyn,” The voice of Arthur Dayne comes from the door behind me and I whirl about to see him and Ser Gerold Hightower standing at ease. “It was amusing, but your true talents lay elsewhere.”

“Ready to finally take me up on that offer?” I waggle my eyebrows suggestively but only get an amused chuckle from the ‘Sword of the Morning’. “I’ve heard your oaths are at an end.”

Ser Gerold is quick to correct me with a voice that sounds like rocks are being chewed with each word. “Our vows are for life, no matter what Prince Viserys declared.”

“So why are you here, shouldn’t you be keeping Lyanna Stark a prisoner off in some tower?” Elia snarls with far more heat than I expected.
    “With over forty men and Ser Selmy in Lord Stark’s company, it was clear our presence was demanded by our King’s side.” Now that’s exactly what I needed to hear, someone else is going to fight for my nephew. Though I must admit he prestige of crowning him on my own has a certain idiotic appeal.

“What about Whent and Selmy?” Demands my brother with a false calm. “Why aren’t they with you if this is true?”

Arthur answers promptly, even as her lifts a giggling Rhaenys into the air for a ‘dragon ride’. “Whent has gone to join Ser Darry at Rhaella’s side for her child’s birth and Selmy has gone with my Sister to Storm’s End.”

“Who is to care for Lyanna’s child?” Growls Elia with venom in each word. “Rhaegar’s precious Visenya.”

“… She was a stillborn.” Gerold takes a second to answer, his eyes locking with Arthur’s before doing so.

The Dayne takes over the explanation soon after. “My sister and her new husband are the ones with a child…” He turns his stare to me now and shifts it into a scowl of his own. “It was bold indeed of him to claim her right under my nose. He hopes to have him legitimized and swear himself to Stannis Baratheon’s services until we are ready to act.”

“You will do nothing that endangers my children!” Elia hisses and seems to tower over us in her rage. “If they want to try for the throne once they are adults grown so be it, but you will not push them back into another war they have no interest in.”​

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  2. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

Im wondering how they'll react when, once he's grown, viserys fucks off for essos.

3. Flightless Man

"It's just a phase, he'll be back." Doran repeats his brother's words from a decade earlier, still with no confirmed sighting of the missing Viserys. "The only reason we even know he's alive still, is all the apple trees he's been planting in the Dothraki Sea."

4. Livianne

Livianne Know what you're doing yet?

Well, he won't do that with the current vote tally. It's quite simple, really: If Viserys marries Margaery he will (have to) try for the throne himself. If he marries Arianne he also needs to remain in Westeros and remain active in politics there.

I'm not sure how or why he would marry Rhaenys, this doesn't benefit him and it doesn't benefit anyone else so I guess those votes are just for her and Viserys being cute together. I think her and Tyrion might not necessarily be a bad match and, if Tyrion somehow becomes lord of Casterly Rock, he might be a suitable ally for Viserys.

If you want him to leave for Essos or travel as a merchant or privateer then the options are clearly
    1. Nymeria Sand (who has connections in Dorne and Volantis and is also hot whilst not being needed in Westeros by anyone),
    2. Sarella Sand (genius, connections in Dorne and the Summer Islands, mother is already a merchant captain)
    3. Brienne (access to ships in Tarth, why would anyone want to marry an ugly woman with an overly strong sense of honour though?)
    4.. Asha (access to ships, confident, independent, might actually go along with forming a trading/privateering company if somehow she was allowed or able to marry Viserys)
    5.. Mya (noone cares for her so you can do what you want, she doesn't bring any benefit at all though and is also no great beauty)

5. Flightless Man

Excellent breakdown. Like I am incredibly impressed with your brain.

It's a deceptive vote for Rhaenys, it doesn't bring Tyrion a happy end if it wins and people seem to have over looked this.
    1. All correct and probably the best choice for independent economic power
    2. Best choice for freedom
    3. Would have been a long term friendship that evolved.
    4. Would be forced on us both if the vote wins.
    5. Mya would have steered the story towards Littlefinger plots far sooner and the North/Vale.

6. ATP

ATP Experienced.

So,Jon Snow is alive,but who take him? and is Lyanna aware of that fact ?
    Viserys need waifu which do not made him King - so, Margery,Rhaeys and Arianna are out.
    He need waifu with at least few ships,but Asha ,as ironborn,would made too much problems.so,she is out.Ygritte,Mya - do not have ships.
    Which leave us with Brienne,Sarella or Tyene from your list.
    But - you are god in your story,do what you want.

Flightless Man likes this.
  7. Flightless Man

Jon Snow/Rhark Selmy will be living at Storms End. Lyanna, Arthur Dayne, Gerold Hightower, Oswell Whent Barristan Selmy, and Ashara Dayne, all know for sure. Anyone else knowing will be a mystery for now.

Just because Viserys wants a ship, doesn't mean I get one. In real life I wanted to be an astronaut before learning my health issues made it impossible and Bran wanted to be a knight in book 1, now it's a childhood regret/dream he's grown beyond. I made Viserys' goals clear, so we can see how he reacts to where the world sends him with the vote.

The vote is for who I marry, I may have a fling or two before/during.

It was basically all the named female characters within a 6 year range. I'd personally feel weird marrying anyone born after I inserted in Viserys, anyone older will likely already be married and off the table.

I'm only the God Viserys follows, the other characters have different Gods they seek guidance from (I listen to comments and steal good ideas/adapt my story to good criticisim. Stannis/Cersei's betrothal being delayed for example was from a really good comment on SV.) Brienne is going to at least be a good friend because you like her and have kept her in my mind while I've been doing my outline for the next few arcs. Half the readers seem to want Rhaenys/Aegon/Dany to hate me, so I've listened to all the sides before choosing what their relationships are going to be.

Venyr4434, ATP and Ignacio Antonio like this.
  8. Threadmarks: Chapter 09: Melting Hearts of Stone
    Flightless Man

Chapter 09: Melting Hearts of Stone
    Viserys

My name day comes with a cloud of tense uncertainty as I shuffle towards the table quietly. Patchface isn’t in the hall yet and I let out a relieved, taking my seat between an eager Renly and incredibly quiet Dale.

“The other boys are going to start arriving today, it’s going to be so much fun!” He’s by far the most excited for the other children being warded by Stannis, while Dale and I are far more realistic about our reception.

“I thought we already had fun.” Mumbling under his breath with no enthusiasm, Dale stirs at his porridge absently.

Renly either doesn’t hear or want to acknowledge the complaint and keeps his bright eyes locked on mine. “And you get gifts!” You really don’t like being faced with confrontation at all.

He pulls his own out from under the black tablecloth and thrusts the dark blue folded fabric at me. He nearly bounces in his seat as I accept it, carefully holding the new winter cloak up for all to see.

“It’s beautiful Prince Renly,” Maryah Seaworth gushes over the design of a single headed bronze dragon diving into indigo waves. “You have an excellent eye for taste.” A border of bronze dragon fangs give the appearance of a maw chomping down and I’m touched by the care put into it.

“I picked the fabric and design but it was Hildy who did the stitching. Ser Cortnay got the beaver fur to line it.” He points to knight who I thought hated me and find him holding up his mug to toast me.

“I haven’t been the nicest since you came here,” His cheeks go a pale pink, which he quickly hides by downing his drink. “None of us really have and you just took it all without any whining. I’ve made sure the boys stop ganging up on you in the yard, though I don’t expect them to be apologizing for it.”

Relieved at getting that miracle I’m not worried about boys who remember being hungry and some acting out over it. “Good thing you talked to them now, I was just starting to get used to fighting them all at once.” No, I really wasn’t… but I can’t let it visibly bother me or it’s not going to end after all.

“I love it Renly.” He claps excitedly as I clasp it around my neck and let the warm cloth cover me. “Thank you so much.”

“It should help make people see you’re different.” Looking at his brother with a playful smirk, Renly tells everyone why my dragon only has a single head. “Robert told me one of the heads is for greatness, one is for lameness, and the third head of the dragon is for the crazed Targaryens. I only gave you the good head so you aren’t allowed to be crazy.”

Dale hands me his gift next, a bundle of what looks like over a hundred arrows with stone heads and made with chicken feathers. “The ones you use aren’t straight enough to help you practice, so I hope these are better.”

“I made you some to!” His brother blurts out with a face splitting grin. “And Pa got you a bow of your own.” Allard spoils his father’s surprise before his brother can stop him with a hand over the mouth.

When he bites down on Dale’s hand, Davos decides that is enough and hands me a yew wood hunting bow. Attempting to draw it fully proves me far too weak and I’m eager to grow into my only martial talent.

From his wife I get several pairs of thick wool socks dyed the same blue as my cloak, with a pair of yellow mitts I can tie to my belt. She’s surprised by my hug but does pull me in tight when my whispered ‘thank you’ wavers thick with emotion.

“Your mother had this sent after arriving safely in Riverrun, I believe she expects you to be able to play a song for her wedding.” The white wooden flute I receive from Stannis is twice the size of the ones I’ve seen before and looks to be played upright like a recorder. I think I still remember how to play one thing.

Holding it up to my lips makes the adults all plug their ears with groans of anticipation, but my friends at least look eager to listen. When I play a few notes as a test, I grin at finding the finger holes needed for ‘Hot Cross Buns’.

The Renly and Dale are amazed at the simple song I play for what seems to be the first time, with Allard pulling one of his mother’s fingers from her ear. “Oh. That’s not horrible.” She smiles and unplugs Davos’ ear next.

“I guess you had to be good at something else eventually.” Allard teases me and ducks away from his brother’s retaliatory swat.

“Hey.” Defending me like a good cousin, Renly holds up a hand to silence the younger boy. “He’s not scared of horses anymore.” Now the smile shifts to a playful smirk. “He might be good at the lance.”

I know he’s only speaking in jest but the idea of a different weapon might actually be a good one. It makes me flinch every time I thrust or slash with the training sword, the memory of Aerys’ blood and gargled screams flash in my mind.

What about something blunt? A mace or flail might sidestep my squeamishness and a knotted rope would work as one in the yard.

“The Lannisters of the Rock and Dragonstone have each sent gifts,” Explains Stannis as he finishes his own meal. “They await outside with mine own.”

Hearing that has me wolf down the rest of my breakfast and eagerly jump to my feet. The longer I live as Viserys, the more childlike I find my mannerisms becoming. The thought is washed away when I’m lead outside, a smoke grey mare is saddled for me in the light rain.

A dozen men in Lannister colors stand beside a thirteenth, though the largest of them is doing his best to ignore his fellows. “Lord Tywin wishes you blessings of health and good fortune, with the hope that this is only the beginning of acquiring such.”

The well spoken knight must be a Lannister cousin with his golden ponytail and he unwraps canvas from a bundle in his arms. A dragon of solid gold is revealed and it must weigh at least ten pounds. That thing is the size of a chihuahua! “The same size as the ‘Last Dragon’, we hope you no longer feel so alone in the world.”

“Lord Tyrion wants to thank you for your faith in him and knows that small people need protection as well.” A set of mail armor is present to me emblazoned with burnished bronze over castle forged steel.

“He had some of your clothing sent from King’s Landing and used as measurements.” A teen’s breast plate and helm with carved dragon scales as a pattern are also held up, both will last at least a few years before needing to be replaced.

“Whoa… when can I have armor like that Stannis?” My cousin eagerly asks his brother with envy clear in his voice.

His brother brings these hopes crashing down with the gruff response. “When you finish growing. It’s nothing but a waste of gold to have armor made for only a few years of use.”

“Is the horse for Viserys too?” Renly’s voice is annoyed and I know I’m going to have hold off on trying to win in the yard.

“He needs his own when he accompanies me to Riverrun, it was a gift of necessity Renly.” Of course it’s not an attempt to be nice, it’s just practical to use this chance to give me only a single gift. “I’ll get you one when you are ready to join me on a Progress across the recovering Stormlands.” Can’t really blame him though, haven’t gotten anymore supplies from King’s Landing since I arrived.

The Lannister is annoyed at being interrupted and coughs to draw attention back his way. “Ser Jaime also sent you a sworn sword, brother of the Kingslayer Lord Gregor Clegane. You may have dismissed my cousin from your services, but he still wishes you safe.”

Lorch may have accepted the honor of a place on Robert’s Kingsguard but the Mountain took Tywin’s offer of a lordship instead. He was given a large swatch of the newly claimed loyalist land, those who have refused to kneel in the Riverlands and I can only assume Sandor was frothing mad over it. The Darry's and Whents are losing land and titles each, though the Dayne's look to hunting for Arthur... or at least the missing Dawn.

“Was the only way to get out the Westerlands, don’t think this means I’m going to kiss yer ass or anything.” The taller guardsmen off on his own barks out gruffly when he faces me. “I’m here to keep you safe until yer a man grown. I wasn’t paid to be your friend.”

Well if that wasn’t an offer for bribery, I have no idea what a more obvious one would sound like. “How much would that cost me?”

“That lizard must be worth a damn lot.” He gazes at the gold dragon with desire and turns back to me with a scowl.

I know how good of a warrior he ends up being and how I’ll need someone like him to make me at least capable of facing an average soldier. He notices I don’t look at or away from his scars and just treat them like his own choice in facial hair.

I was sheltered from Father’s madness as best people could but that last week I saw eleven people burn, some light scaring is nothing. His scowl shifts into a satisfied smirk when I hand him the ornate sculpture.​

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  9. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Lannister have ships,too.What about some Lannister from lesser house as waifu? Kevan had daughter,too,but it would be too much.
    And you could be friend with Brienne...maybe Hound as her husband? i remember few fanfictions with that.And one with Tyrion as Brienne husband.As usual,forget titles.
    P.S good chapter.

abyss_kaiser and Flightless Man like this.
  10. Flightless Man

First. Screwed up on saying Clegane had Reach lands. He has Darry's lands and a SB reader caught it.

I'm leaning towards Allard and Brienne right now but only as a rough idea(since she doesn' seem like she's winning).

Sandor I'm thinking Obara (Oberyn's oldest), but again only a rough idea and insightful comments can steer me.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  11. Threadmarks: Chapter 10: What Was She Thinking
    Flightless Man

Chapter 10: What Was She Thinking
    Lyanna Stark

When we anchor offshore from Storm’s End so the Selmy’s can serve Visery I’m left feeling alone. I love my brother but he’s the one who started all of this. If Ned hadn’t told his brutish friend about me I never would have accepted Prince Rhaegar’s offer.

One child for a ship crewed by those loyal to him and the lie of me being slain by Aerys’ men. Someone had seen me escape in Rhaegar’s presence and everything spiraled out of control.

I never wanted Brandon and Father to die, I only wanted to be free to find a woman to love. Father is the one who decided to marry off to a Southern man I’d never met and Brandon is the one who shouted death threats in the throne room.

I refuse to feel guilty about the choices made by adults grown, though I will forgive Ned for his childish love for his friend… if he can ever actually take responsibility and apologize that is. Hugging Ashara goodbye makes me have a reason to be eternally grateful to him though.

Damn all these mixed up feelings! why can’t hate and love be clean and distinct? Only reason I can hide my son in Storm’s End is because Ned’s daughter died and he has no idea we switched them on him.

He thinks Ser Barristan is covering for his shame of dishonoring Ashara at Harrenhal but he’s in fact the one being used. If I knew you wouldn’t tell Robert I would have spoken the truth but as it stands now… only Benjen will be told the truth.

Pressing a kiss to Rhark’s forehead I say a fond farewell to the man who will protect my son with his very life. Barristan will raise you well my darling boy, the shadow of the Delusional Dragon will keep you safe from those who would use you.

Instead of only seeing you every year or two, I can now have you visit King’s Landing with Stannis… or even encourage the lout to show me his childhood home. It should not go with even a single year before I see you again.

We don’t stay long and pull up anchor as soon as they gain entrance to the sea portcullis. With our final stop made the crew is eager to return home and hastens to raise sails again.

“Are you sure this is what you want Lyanna?” MY brother now shows the foresight to ask but I just roll my eyes at how late it is.

“You said Robert hadn’t even looked at a women since he believed I could be ‘rescued’.” If he can keep that up while we’re married… I guess I won’t need to get rid of Robert once I have a son by him. “It sounds like I may have been wrong about the kind of man he is.”

I know I was wrong about the men in my own family. We aren’t a pack, only lone wolves standing beside each other. He smiles at me in relief and pulls me into a hug that I only briefly resit he pull of.

“I should have protected you and I can only hope you one day forgive me.” Maybe, words are only wind until you prove them. “And I hope the loss of your child can be overcome one day. I can not even imagine the pain you must be feeling.” You could if I decided to be honest, but I’ll have to hold that until I can trust this remorse.

“Just make sure Benjen wears a white cloak instead of a black one and I’ll have someone I can trust down here.” It will be a first step in showing you’ll act on your promises and maybe I can start forgiving you bit by bit.

Ned snorts and lets me go finally. “Why not ask me to find you a dire wolf?” Benjen has wanted this for a long time and this is something I do feel guilty about. He’s the only one who always had my back with actions and words both.

“Well you better figure out a way or I don’t think I can forgive you for a long time.” Leaving me alone in the South with no one to trust… not going to make me feel any better about this marriage.

I’ve been told Robert already has two bastards, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to tolerate him for long. Benjen is going to need to stop me from acting rashly again.

“I’ll make sure Robert brings you home for a visit soon as he can.” Catelyn will appreciate a royal visit I hope. “Travel South with both of us will need to be rare until I have a child old enough to do the ruling at Winterfell.”

Hope she’s fine believing you have a bastard, or will you lie and say he’s truly a Selmy? He scratches at the new growth on his cheeks and I have to admit it makes him look more like Father.

“Keep the beard,” I advise with a smirk. “At least for a few years. If you grow it out, it’ll help your wife think of you as your own person instead of a replacement for Brandon.”

“Really?” His voice is thoughtful as he strokes his chin.

“I’m just a woman,” My brother flushes at my crossed arms. “What would I know about anything?”

He doesn’t have an answer for that and flounders for almost an entire minute before deciding to change the subject. “You really don’t mind if I turn down the offer to be Master of Laws?”

“You aren’t made for the South, I can understand just wanting to go home.” I can’t, so it’ll be easier to forgive you from a distance.

Olenna Tyrell
    The litter thumps over a larger than acceptable bump in the road and I remind myself to have a word with our driver once we stop for lunch. Mace’s insistence on bringing enough food to supply three weddings may actually be beneficial, my knees say this wet winter is soon to end.

“You just make sure to befriend Viserys,” My words have Garlan promptly nod like a good grandson and I can see in his eyes the order is understood. “He might have given the crown up… but we can always put it back on his head.”

Once Varys infiltrates Riverrun during the wedding we’ll have a way to ensure Rhaella dies in childbirth. It’s a shame to lose a good woman like her, but I can’t afford for her to have anymore children. I can understand Stark and Baratheon for overlooking the fact Rhaella may have more children, they are barely men themselves.

Arryn and Lannister though… how did they forget this is a very fertile woman. Away from the abuse she could give Hoster control of the Realms future and I can’t have that.

“I will Grandmother,” My gallant rose promises with all the seriousness in the world. “I’ll make sure he is a good match for Margaery and tell you if he acts crazed in anyway.” I know you will, you and Willas have my brains for sure.

If the Hightowers don’t surrender soon Garlan will be given the seat and Oldtown. Our new King has been distracted and overwhelmed with all his confidants on missions, he has come to believe the rumors of Mace’s involvement in his lone defeat.

Robert knows my son was not on the field, but does think he sent Randall ahead with the van instead of the Hornhill Lord leading his own men independently. I frown at how many of our vassals are unhappy right now and consider how to appease them.

“Lord Tarly is not happy settling for his son being Willas’ squire, you might need to take on the next one he has.” And get him a position on Viserys’ Small Council.

If you think that’s best Grandmother, I know better than to argue.” Why couldn’t Mace have been more like his children, all of you are exemplary. I don’t allow myself to consider this preference is only a grand parents ability to spoil instead of raise the children.

“Viserys is friends with both his cousin and the son of a newly raised knight.” It shows he’s better than his father, but we need to make sure it doesn’t lead to more reforms. “I expect all of you to treat the smallfolk well, I don’t wan an off hand comment ruining his opinion of our family.”

We fought for his family until the end and without needing a hostage, Viserys had better be thinking of us in his plans to reclaim the throne. Once the reminders have been given I can relax and enjoy the time with my more intelligent family members.​

12. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Viserys,run on sea ,Olenna is after you.And i thought,that Rhaella wedded Lannisters,not Trouts.Is Ashara Barristan waifu now ? if so,Jon would have happy childchood.
    And,when Lyanna is right that Brandon and Rickard acted foolish,she is fool herself to think that she is only victim.
    You should think for yourself,not made Viserys waifu that girls who get most votes.It is not democracy,you are khan of your story.
    But,Brienne and Allard seems legit.And Hound need warrior woman - which,except Brienne,mean either Dorne or North.

Your SI need ships and do not be involved in game - So,no ironborn,lannisters,and both Dorne and Tarth could mean problems too
    .What about Manderlys ? there were 2 good looking girls there,and they had plenty of ships.

13. Pylon

Pylon I trust you know where the happy button is?

I had to stop reading halfway through Lyanna’s section, she disgusted me so much. It’s not even that she’s wrong precisely, but rather her attitude of “All these people died because everyone is stupid except me.
    Oh if only father had overturned every societal custom for me like a reasonable man. Oh if only my hotheaded brother hadn’t reacted exactly how I should have known he’d react. Oh if only Ned hadn’t told his friends about his family. They should all apologize to ME.”

14. ThedudeManBro

ThedudeManBro The Dudeliest Man on the block, Bro!

... Wow.

I Mean...WOW.

I knew Lyanna was trash, like absolute trash, but you just upped her trashyness Meter even higher. Congrats, I suppose? :V

Also good foreshadowing on how our poor Boi will keep being pushed to the shit he don't wanna do. Honestly I think the only way this does not end in GoT nonsense is if he legit just pulls what Bobby B wished he did and when of age, packs his bags all Sneaky like, disguised himself, and fucked off to essos. Or something.

And, if all else fails, he uses his Bard Skillz, puts an iced rose on his mouth, and rolls to seduce the Night King.

15. Argentis

Argentis Lord of Cinders (retired)

Wow lyanna is a BITCH, entitled and an horrible sister, she hides her son by lying to his brother about his DEAD DAUGHTER, also Ashara, WTF does the idiot Prince owns you so much that you would lie about your own daughters death?
    Also did lyanna imply that she would just have a kid from robert so she could kill him and use their son has a puppet to give the throne to Jon?
    Your Lyanna deserve be thrown to the sea

16. ArtMagnus

ArtMagnus Knight Imperion

God this varient of Lyanna is repulsive. No responsibility, condescending and bratty.

Id like to see everyone's reaction where instead of trying for the throne, Viserys just fucks off to Essos and does his own thing. Maybe cause a new Renaissance or something.

17. Flightless Man

I wanted her to marry Tywin, but Jon Arryn argued for Hoster instead. Yeah Ashara Selmy now.

Exactly. Mainly Lyanna is so guily she refuses to acknolwedge she had any hand in it or she will breakdown. I'v seen ppeople make a single mistake and spiral into a shitty life.

Honestly I wouldn't pair Viserys with anyone. Having it be a vote lets me leave it a business deal and I need to befirend her.

Denial is a powerful tool.

Lyanna is a blank slate considering we only get a few rose tinted memories/anecdotes of her. I always thought her and Maege had a fling considering LYanna Mormont's name.

And Thank you, I try very hard to leave clues.

If Ashara is willing to throw herself in the sea, she's desperate enough to do a lot. Because Ashara's babe was a stillborn, she never held/saw her and is transfering emotions to Jon/Rhark

Lyanna is saying once she and Robert have a son, that son can rule.

She did also just give her child away and this is the most resentful she will be.

Maybe the whole Viserys in Essos arc is people trying to come bring me home instead of kill us and I'm running for the hills.

Venyr4434, Ulysses, ATP and 3 others like this.
  18. Threadmarks: Chapter 11: Pride
    Flightless Man

Chapter 11: Pride
    Jaime Lannister

Father listens to Damion’s report with irritation growing on his face with every word. I just roll my eyes when my cousin finishes and is waved out of the room with his party.

“I told you giving him something from the sack of his home wasn’t a good idea.” Viserys is smart enough to see the insult and turned it to his benefit.

“It was from one of the storerooms, when did he have a chance to see the dragon?”

“When he was looking for Talon.” And now a third stress wrinkle, next will be the throbbing vein on his neck. “He was running off for days unsupervised, who knows what he saw.”

Father gives me a hard stare and I feel my palms get itchy. “With the Hightowers about to lose everything, I have decided to accept the offer for your hand.”

“What?” Cersei defends me in my stunned silence.

“Some girl Lynesse’s hand for Castamere and her hefty dowry of half the wealth in the Hightower for the land around the ruins is a good trade.” He drawls back at my indignant twin. “Most of the worthy woman of this generation have already been claimed. As long as your brother and Tygett move fast, they can have most things of value loaded on ships before the Tyrell’s return South.”

The hard stare comes back my way and Father nods stiffly. “I will do my best to prolong the festivities.” He nearly shudders at this. “And Lord Clegane’s men will slow the Tyrell host once they leave Riverrun.”

His men are savage, but I don’t see how a hundred brigands will delay them more than a single day. Unless that’s where all of the men in the cells have really been going. The Mountain might have over four hundred criminals joining his services.

“You have a task of your own, with Pycelle’s dismissal and reassignment to Dragonstone… Prince Stannis seems your best chance of getting to the throne.” Cersei nearly screeches at this comment but holds it in at the last second. “You are to catch his eye before any other at the wedding has the chance and you will make him fall in love with you.”

“Yes Father, I won’t disappoint you.” She concedes with a tight smile that does nothing to detract from her stunning beauty.

“Not a second time.” She visibly deflates at the comment and I find myself hating Father’s cruelty being aimed at those I love most. Viserys achieved all of his goals by caring about his family… why can’t you at least care for us?

Blame her all you want, but it was your offer Aerys rejected. “Would you have had Cersei be disgraced the same way as Elia was?” My strong willed sister shares a look of gratitude when I butt into her dressing down. “This gives us the chance to get in on the ground floor of a new dynasty.”

“Robert doesn’t have a son yet. If he dies soon… Stannis will be King.” Father finds an answer I wasn’t trying to lead him to and Cersei seems caught up in the idea. At least she does until he mentions our brother. “And if that fails we can always try again once Tyrion once he whelps his own, he has proven to have some worth after all.”

“And how will you arrange that, only Lorch is in a position to make a move now.” Cersei has a scowl that could rival one of Father’s best.

“I will have to accept the position of Master of Coin and see what opportunities arise in King’s Landing.” Somehow he makes it seem like a great sacrifice for our family. “Which will leave you acting as Lord of the Rock. Listen to Kevan, he will teach you how to be a Lannister while I am gone.”

The look Cersei and I share fills me with both burning heat and the cold splash of reality. Tonight will be our last together, we need to make the most of it.

“And be on the alert for Ironborn, several ships have been seen trying to sneak past our sentries.” Father clenches his jaw in barely concealed rage. “You will not let them claim the spoils of the Hightowers.”

It was only four ships, I find it far more likely they want in on the bloodshed going on in the Stepstones. Correcting him without anything beyond a gut feeling is a lesson in stupidity I learned well in my youth and I refrain from doing so now. Since I’m going to Old Town apparently, may as well just ask them if they saw the Ironborn.

Tyrion Lannister
    For the hundredth time my stubby fingers strum a second string and ruin my attempt at playing the most basic song. Rhaenys should have asked me to be a warrior like her father instead, I could have died pretty easily.

“This stupid thing is impossible!” I fling it onto my bed while Gerion just sends my instructor from the room with a warning to keep his mouth shut. “I’ll never be able to play a song.”

He sits beside me on the scarlet silk and puts a gentle arm around me. “Do you know how long it took me to beat anyone in the training yard?” Before I can answer he adds a little bit more with a chuckle. “And I’m not talking about the ones scared of hurting a Lannister.”

“No… why does that matter?” A harp and a sword are completely different things.

“You’ve been practicing for only four days and with the same vigor as Jaime gave to his own training with a blade.” Gerion lets me go and grabs the discarded instrument carefully. “It took me nearly a month to stoop embarrassing myself, which is why your lessons are up here in your room.”

“Oh.”

He smiles warmly at my realization and tries strumming the harp, his fingers doing far worse than my last attempt. “Look at my fingers Tyri,” He holds up a hand and I press mine against his.

The man sized fingers and palm make me sigh. I’ll never have a hand that big. My favorite uncle sees something else though and wiggles his fingers against my own.

“See, mine are stubby too.” He grins and lowers his voice. “All of use Lannisters do, it’s why none of us are very good with a bow.”

“It’s not because I’m a dwarf?” My lips tremble with uncertain hope.

“It’s because you’re hands are a boy’s and trying something it takes lots of practice to master.” He tries strumming again and I show him which order to do so, making the sounds far easier on our ears. “See, you’re already better at this than I am. All you need to do is never give up on yourself, because I never will.”

I still can’t believe all the good happening to me and know I’m going to wake up soon. “Really?”

“You’re the Lord of Dragonstone now, what’s your opinion on tumbling?” A feeling of excitement builds in my chest and it feels like my heart will burst.

“It’s allowed!” He laughs when I leap from the bed and roll to my feet gracefully.

“You make the rules now, I’m just here to make sure the banner men don’t decide to kill you in your sleep.” The playful tone is gone now and he sounds more like Uncle Kevan as he reminds me of no one wanting us here. “You need to be seen befriending Viserys at the wedding, remind your vassals he chose you himself.”

I hope he liked my gift, no stranger has ever been so nice to me before. I consider my life and admit to myself he’s even been kinder to me than most who do know me.

Robert Baratheon
    Learning Lyanna lost the child and seeing her face full of raw emotion flickering to fast to identify makes me keep my mouth shut. In the moment Ned’s grief filled voice sinks into my ears I find my rage is replaced with relief.

She could have died with the babe. As the thought echoes in my mind I’m just happy she’s safe. Viserys doesn’t go to the Wall I guess. He’s not crazy, lets find out if he’s going to be content with his lot or prove he’s one of the great ones.

Stannis’ raven says the boy wants to be a knight and take a name of his own, Renly even made him a brand new sigil he wears with pride. Hells… he wants to squire for the onion smuggler.

When Ned finishes his report I raise and eyebrow over the ‘Selmy’ child. “I never saw Barristan touch her at Harrenhal… I seem to remember it was you who danced with her.”

He flinches as if I struck him. “So did Brandon.”

“Oh…” Lyanna goes a shade paler and I feel like an ass for bringing up the hole in the cover story. “Well I was pretty in my cups, for all I know they danced after I was no longer standing.” Ned gives me a grateful smile for my attempt and I can’t wait for when we’re really brothers.

He can’t say for long and once he and his men leave for Riverrun I’m left as alone as I can ever be. Lorch and Blount are on duty today, while my Estermont cousin is to stand guard while I sleep. Only Lyanna is left beside me and for the first time I find my mouth dry.

She watches in silence as I fumble for something to say and the hurt in her eyes makes me decide. “What was her name?”

“What?” Lyanna blinks in confusion and I wonder if this is yet another thing I have failed at. Did she name the babe?

“Your child, what did you call her?” Smiling softly to show I really do care about her grief, I get a considering look before she answers.

“Sara.” Her voice is flat.

I think back on what Ned has told me of Winterfell’s legends. “The bastard who wed the Velaryon in secret?”

No!” She hisses insistently. “They never wed.” Calming herself down she releases her fists and I feel a kinship with her over that sudden rage that can strike anytime.

“Her father was able to stop her from being taken…” I realize with growing compassion and realize how alone she must have felt.

Reaching for Lyanna’s hand she hesitates only a moment before her expression softens. “I didn’t think you would care and I admit I was expecting a lot more buxom maids in the halls.”

“The first day after Ned had gone to save you, Lord Tywin encouraged a feast of celebration.” I fought a war for you – the woman I love – and first time I drank to much I lay with a serving girl in some alehouse. “I won’t keep secrets from you.”

Taking a deep breath I admit my failure and the ones while I grieved her death in the war. She doesn’t absolve me of those times, but does smile when I explain not a drop of ale or whine has touched my lips since that night.

Our conversation grows quieter and becomes one of truly getting to know each other. The shock on her face makes me giggle and that sound from my large frame sets her off next.

“You aren’t who I expected.” She finally admits with a far less guarded look than when we began. “Can’t believe you replaced all the female servants with their mothers.”

“I had to remove the temptation, so far it’s worked.” She looks over to the men in white cloaks and takes a moment to decide something.

“If you can be honest and try so hard to change yourself… it’s only fair I give you the same respect.” Hearing about her preferences fills my gut with a stone and I just have one thing to ask her.

“Did we ever have a chance at love?” She blinks and doesn’t respond immediately, but when she does my heart aches.

Her expression and voice aren’t cruel in her delivery but my dreams come crashing down around me. “No.” She doesn’t stop with the heartbreaking answer though and now it’s me who needs a few seconds to understand the meaning of her words. “At least not romantically.”

“Do you love Ned?” She asks and I don’t even need to think about my answer.

“Of course I do.” When I answer Lyanna smiles and presses me with a second question. “Can you settle for loving me the same way as him, though with occasional attempts for children?”

“I’ve never been a very pious man.” Lyanna smiles with no reservations at my acceptance and I have a sudden feeling of lurking danger vanish. “So let’s plan a wedding!” My shout has the Kingsguard cheer along with me and I realize I wouldn’t be opposed to her finding a companion. As long as I can watch of course.

19. anap1

anap1 Gone for Good

you fucking simp lol.
    well atleast she's not going to try and kill you now.

20. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Tyrrels and Tywin want Robert dead,Lyanna probably too.He would live shorter then canon.
    Viserys need to flee as fast as possible,with ships not from South.So,Dorne,North,OR.... maybe no ship,but cute mermaid ? Ariel would love him.

Venyr4434 likes this.
  21. Flightless Man

Tyrells want Rhaella dead, Tywin wants Robert dead, Lyanna found a suprising ally.

More he's thinking it's Ned with teats and they can share a mistress.

Venyr4434 likes this.
  22. Threadmarks: Chapter 12: Road Towards The Future
    Flightless Man

Chapter 12: Road Towards The Future
    Viserys

Barristan’s appearance at Storm’s End with his wife and child shock me. Once he swears himself to Stannis’ service Renly and the new wards mob the legendary knight.

Donnel Swann, Galladon Tarth, and Ronnet Connington, are all a year or three older than myself and have had little interest in me or Dale’s companionship. As long as the don’t take it any farther than ignoring us it’s alright, the way they are sucking up to Stannis make it clear the reason they came. He’s going to need a squire himself before we leave.

The trio of boys younger than myself are Lester Morrigen, Balon Swann and Orell Estermont, all of which are more interested in befriending the younger Baratheon. Barristan handles the adoration well and gives each boy a few words of encouragement as Ashara introduces her son.

She hesitates on the name for just long enough for my suspicions to grow before finally Ashara introduced us all to Duncan Selmy. He stays quiet when Stannis calls him disciplined and barely reacts when I coo at him softly.

“He hasn’t been happy since we got on the ship… Duncan will warm up to you before long.” Ashara pokes her son on the nose and he flinches away with an unhappy squint. “Your just a little brooder, aren’t you.”

Something in her eyes makes it look like Ashara is only now realizing what her life has become and her stiff expression softens as she gazes down at Duncan. I’m just happy my butterflies kept a few more people alive and I don’t even have to feel guilty about the Kingsguard at the tower being some of them.

“And who might you be Ser?” Barristan eventually works his way through the crowd of excited boys and notices my bodyguard.

Behind me Sandor leans against the dark grey stone of the castle walls. Like he has done so every day since his introduction, Sandor has a helm on to hide his face.

“Not a Ser and I never will be.” Barks the teen harshly which makes Barristan try again with a smile.

“Well what is your name at least lad? I’d like to know who has taken my old job of guarding Viserys.”

“Sandor Clegane… Ser.” He needs to be reminded to add the title with a stern glare from Stannis.

“Now why won’t you ever become a knight, do you fear you lack the skill?” Barristan frowns at that idea and shakes his head from side to side firmly. “Because that won’t do at all. I may be serving Prince Stannis now but I will ensure you have the skill to do your own duty.”

Nodding his head approvingly at the exchange is Stannis, but Renly finds something wrong with what has been said. “How come Viserys has a sword sword? He’s not a Prince anymore, I am.”

“Ser Barristan can go through candidates for suitability and once I return from the wedding I will approve his choice.” Explains Stannis with a pinched face. “But Princes do not whine for attention, maybe you should ask Viserys for tips on how to act like one before we depart.”

The look of venom Renly shoots me is new and I find it actually hurts to see genuine hate in his eyes. What are those boys telling him about me? I thought we got along really well before they arrived.

“He’s not so great,” Renly grumbles back and darts away from us in a huff. I never said I was, I keep screwing everything up… can’t even make a friendship with a seven year old work.

His friends are quick to follow once Stannis turns his scowl on them and they vanish around the corner of the castle in moments. Soon happy laughter comes from their direction and I feel even worse. Dale’s going to be stuck with this all by himself while I’m gone… I’ll have to tell him he can use my bow when they stress him out too much.

“I’m terrible with a sword,” I admit to Barristan with a blush on my face and then find a surge of desire to impress him myself. “But I’m the best with a bow out of everyone Ser Cortnay is training!”

“He keeps a death grip on his sword and refuses to loosen it even a bit.” Sandor has to be smirking behind that cage of steel on his head, but the shadows keep the proof from being visible. “It gives him a steady shot and I admit he’ll be a better shot than me soon… but that just means he’ll be stuck doing the hunting.”

“You said I’m alright with the rope.” Petulantly I defend my more recent attempts at martial training.

Sandor just snorts and pats me on the head like a dog. “Alright just means you aren’t dead in the first few seconds… you might last twenty.”

“He’s right and I’ll need to help Ser Cortnay with his lessons, I don’t believe he was prepared for so many.” Adds Barristan with a laugh of his own. “Lets see if we can have you live a whole minute by years end.”

Pepper Anne responds easily to my commands and I find myself relaxing in her saddle by the third day of the ride. Stannis is making us take the long way around the Kingswood which is adding another fortnight to the trip. It does keep me out of the Crownlands though and that’s what matters to him.

I don’t really want to tempt Robert’s goodwill either, everyday here hasn’t been hell like I was dreading. Dare I think it, but I’ve actually enjoyed most of my time at Storm’s End.

Stannis is strict beyond belief, but he’s fair and actually tells me his expectations… unlike some bosses I can kind of remember having. Renly can call it sucking up when I refrain from ‘having fun’, I just call it staying off the Wall.

“The Tyrells party will not beat us to the fork,” Calls out Stannis with annoyance ringing in his voice. “We aren’t stopping for lunch, now pick up the pace!” None of his men want to march with or behind the people who besieged them earlier this year and Sandor’s voice is the only one complaining at the command.

“Great, I hate eating in the saddle. Gives me gas.” That doesn’t stop him from pulling some of the morning’s cheese from a saddle bag. Once he pulls a strand of stringy black hair off the wedge he breaks a piece off and shoves it through a gap in his visor.

“If your brother is in the Riverlands now…” Sandor waits for me to finish but I nearly stop myself when I imagine the scowl on his face right now. “What’s happening to Clegane Keep?”

He swallows and makes me stew in silence for almost thirty seconds, sweat even begins to form along my neck before he speaks. “It’s being held by one of Lord Tywin’s cousins for now. I can claim my seat when I earn my knighthood.”

“But you sai-.” He cuts me off with a bark of bitter laughter.

“Exactly. I don’t ever want to step foot in that piece of shit again.” I get another interlude of tense silence before he lowers his voice so only I can hear him. “I only have bad memories of that place.”

Returning his trust with an equally quiet voice I share my own feelings on the matter. “I hate my brother too, that’s why I need to become a knight. So I can have my own name and be my own man.”

“The building will still be the same.” The grunt back is bitter and lacking in hope.

“Does the land have bad memories?” He doesn’t answer for the longest time yet and I begin to wonder if I pushed too hard.

“No. Was really the only place I could get away from Gregor.” Admitting this seems to make him sit up a little straighter.

I just gave him a pretty nice investment on taking care of this problem and remind him of that. “So tear it down and build a new one. You already know I pay well… may as well save it for something worthwhile.”

“Sigil looks like crap anyway,” He laughs with less bitterness than before. “May as well choose colors I actually like too.” I get a hesitant pause that only lasts a few seconds but this one reveals Sandor’s vulnerability fully however briefly. “Will you ask Ser Selmy if I can still be his squire when we get back?”

“He’s known for his boldness… I think it’s go better if you ask him yourself.” Barristan is one of the few beacons of true knighthood that I know of and it seems to have had an effect on Sandor.

23. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

Oh my God, a Sandor that isn't depressed and pissy? Truly the world has gone mad.

24. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Not truly.Everybody who must guard Joeffrey must become depressed and pissy,and Hound was saved from that fate.Burning alone do not did it,i think.
    P.S Viserys still need to run before somebody kill him/made king/both.Mermaids look as best option.

25. Threadmarks: Chapter 13: First To Arrive
    Flightless Man

Chapter 13: First To Arrive
    Viserys

As we arrive at Riverrun with the sun beginning to vanish, my mother has a horrified expression on her face. “What are you wearing?”

She stands beside a man who has to be Hoster Tully, with Edmure on his other side. Catelyn is on my mother’s other side and Ned flanks her with a smile being beamed down at me.

“My new clothes.” The indigo and bronze design has her scowl in frustration when I show off my cloak from Renly.

“Is Stannis not allowing you to wear our colors?” She is dressed in a black and red winter gown that does a respectable job of concealing Dany’s bump.

I can hear his teeth grinding at the accusation and clarify before the misunderstanding gets any worse. “I’m going to be the only one with my name in a few days. I decided it’s better to be the first of my kind instead of the last.” My life has a future now and I’m going towards it with all the hope I can muster.

“When Prince Stannis allows it, I will of course welcome you in my home.” Hoster speaks with a kind voice and I remember he really does care about family. “We shall be family soon and I want you to feel welcome here in Riverrun.”

“He’s treating you well, you don’t feel like a prisoner here?” She is of course and we all know it, but it doesn’t need to be a hostile stay.

Mother gives me a warm laugh and loops her arm through Hoster’s. “You got us all away from your father, my stay here has been like a dream I had forgotten could become reality.” She turns to her other side and gives Cat a grateful smile. “Catelyn has been ever so kind in helping me learn the castle.”

“You flatter me Rhaella and it is you who I should be thanking.” The new Lady Stark readjusts her grip on baby Robb and giggles when he burps. “Having someone I can ask for advice has made the early days less of a nightmare.”

“You would have done fine,” Mother pats the new mother on the arm softly. “The hardest part of the first child is the uncertainty.”

Edmure can’t hold himself back any longer and blurts out his own introduction. “So does that make us brothers now? I’m not the baby anymore?”

“Will you love my brother or sister as if she was really a Tully?” I give him a hard stare that surprises the three and ten year old heir to Riverrun with the intensity in my eyes.

“What do you mean?” He recovers fast enough for any casual listeners and winks at me. “We’re only rushing the wedding because our parents couldn’t resist each other.” Is that what Robert’s insisting on, or is this Mother’s idea?

“Guess we are.” Going with the flow is easy enough, it’s only going to make it easier for me to escape the big player’s gaze if the knowledge of Dany’s parentage is kept hidden. “Do you like kites? I brought mine.”

I get a disappointing no from Edmure as he shakes his red hair from side to side. “We don’t really get enough wind here, but I’ve flown one when I visited the Mallisters.”

“You mean it flew away from you and landed in the waves.” His older sister teases the blushing teen. “Jason was ever so sad to lose his favorite.”

“I didn’t mean to let go of it… it was really windy.” He grumbles back in embarrassment and refuses to look at her. “Do you like hunting?”

I haven’t actually shot at a moving target before and find the idea more exciting than I had expected. “What do you go after?” I’m excited, but not stupid enough to go after something dangerous.

“Duck and goose mostly, but we might find a beaver or otter if we’re lucky.” His confidence is contagious and I turn to Stannis hopefully.

“Can I go with him Stannis?” This is the first thing I’ve actually asked him for, let’s see if my good behavior has paid off.

He considers the request carefully before answering without a grimace. “As long as Lord Tully arranges for a suitable escort and you do not roam far… I believe I can trust you not to flee. ”

“Running would only hurt everyone I love, I won’t run from my responsibility.” Doesn’t mean I’m going to go looking for more though, I’m happy with a few friends I can trust.

“Ser Oswell can organize the hunt,” With an agreeable grin Hoster points to the nearly hidden knight leaning against the wall. “I know Raymun is getting grumpy and could use something to tire him out before guests arrive. He’ll never get a wife with his attitude.”

His armor is no longer gold and white of pristine splendor from when he was a Kingsguard, with the intention clearly not to stand out from a crowd. Instead he wears brick tinted scale armor under a similarly dreary breast plate of muddy red.

The leathers are a dark muddy brown while the fabric aside from the blue cloak is the same earth tone as his armor. It’s not until he removes his helm I can even recognize the man, his dark grey whiskers are unkempt with a few months growth and I can only feel for him.

He and Ser Darry’s families had no time to come up with a plan like the Daynes, nor had enough resources to holdout like the Hightowers are trying. Like the rest of the loyalists who did not bend immediately upon word of my abdication, Robert has either given the land away to someone loyal.

Either someone who distinguished themselves in the rebellion like Gregor Clegane and the Darry lands or just left it to the Lords Paramount to reassign it as they wish. Which makes me wonder what Hoster is going to do as I think of the massive Harrenhal and it’s inability to support itself.

Our escort of eight men make sure Edmure and I remain between them, but otherwise leave us free to talk with Sandor. Raymun Darry had no interest in hunting with children and went off on his own which I’m more than fine with. He’s the only Darry who seems to hate me and I can’t help but find him childish.

Edmure does twice as much talking as I do and double that amount of words again for Sandor, but his voice is soothing as we roam the riverbeds for sign of waterfowl. He sounds almost like the British guy who does those nature documentaries as he narrates every bit of the landscape to us.

“And this is where I scared Cat to death back when I was your age,” He points to a slower section of the river and makes it seem like five years ago is something only the Maesters have records of. “She saw me floating face down and dove right in with her best dress on.”

His expression is only slightly ashamed as Ser Desmond Grell explains over hoots of laughter from the men who remember. “Edmure was looking for frogs to stick in Lysa’s bed.”

“Wasn’t funny when she paddled my behind for it, but it was when she lost her boot in the mud.” Edmure grumbles under his breath.

Some splashing just around the bend has the conversation put on hold as Edmure and I race to have a shaft drawn. I beat him by the barest fraction of a second and creep up the bank carefully, taking great care to remain as silent as possible.

The geese below are larger than the Canadian Geese I remember, maybe even by a whole ten pounds. While I’m still taking aim on the top of the bank, Edmure catches up to me and looses his own arrow into the flock.

It sinks into a bird’s wing and sends it flapping up and down the river in a panic. The rest leave the injured goose to it’s fate and make for the sky in a mad dash. Biting my lip in concentration I shoot my own arrow just in front of my own target.

They need a running start to take off and don’t move the fastest when doing so. My arrow pierces into the feathered body making the goose tumble from the air. It splashes back into the river and remains still on the water’s surface to my shock.

“I got one…” Sandor gives me an impressed smile as I let the glee fill me in a sudden rush. Edmure only got his bird’s wing, but I killed mine clean. I’m good at something!​

Guilliman, iceknight90, AHKI and 56 others like this.
  26. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Bow is great,but unless he become Legolas it would not save him from armored opponents.If he have problems with sword - spear,maybe ? it supposed to be easiest to learn.
    And plumbata,too/short throwing weapon from late Rome,30m range,one man could take up to 6.

27. Flightless Man

Bow skill level is going to end up around Anguy's when I'm fully grown, maybe a few percent worse than him but consisttantly in top 5 of any archery competition.

I'm going for a morning star as my weapon. Sandor's training me with a knotted rope against wooden swords for now. I'll get a light chain and padded lump in a few years when everyone moves to blunt swords.

ATP likes this.
  28. Russian conscript

Russian conscript Not too sore, are you?

Swords are shit anyway better for cutting down unarmored peasants than anything else get an axe or a mace

29. Threadmarks: Chapter 14: How Things Change
    Flightless Man

Chapter 14: How Things Change
    Tyrion Lannister

It’s incredibly strange for both Cersei and I, when Lords Tully, Tyrell, Stark, and Arryn all treat me not quite as an equal… but with far more interest than she is given. She just gets a courtesy greeting but Lord Arryn is quite eager to speak with me later on the usage of my fleet. I’d better ask Father to join me, Gerion normally makes these decisions.

The look I share with my sister is one of shocked realization and I find myself eagerly looking forward to this wedding. The castle is far happier than either of my homes and I’m not being told to stay out of sight. In fact I’m supposed to mingle and make friends my own age, which is probably what I should be doing now.

“Prince Stannis.” stiff backed and wide eyed as my sister plies her charms on him, the King’s brother takes my words as a welcome escape. “I was hoping for the chance to thank your ward for my good fortune, but I haven’t seen him.” With a brother like Robert, I doubt anyone has every really looked at you like this before… I know how that feels.

“Viserys is off with Edmure and the Tyrell boys, Lord Tyrion.” The constipated look reminds me of the recent siege and I can only sigh at being too late. “He should be in the Godswood, it’s one of the only places not overrun with guests currently.” Not like he’s going to have time for me with two heirs to entertain him, but I need to go see him anyway.

“And which way would that be?” I try not to let everyone’s age overwhelm me and remember that Lord Stark is only twenty and one himself. He’s only a decade my senior and he commands respect, I just need to do what Jaime would and everything will be fine.

“Head towards the Northeast corner and look for the red leaves.” Lord Tully gives me a look Gerion has when he knows I’m pretending to be brave and winks. “Listen for the noise and you can’t miss them.’

“Thank you for the invitation to dine, Lord Tully. But lordly courtesy insists I thank Viserys before taking my meal with you all.” I actually get a nod of approval from Father when I turn down the offer which makes it hard not to skip away from everyone. “Perhaps then my Father can help make sure I understand all the terms of your offer Lord Hand.”

Bowing his head in farewell, Lord Arryn doesn’t sound upset by my inclusion of Father. “It is no great urgency and we have days enough to find the time. But the Master of Coin is of course invited to discuss the fleet’s usage.”

Following my directions with ease thanks to a clear and open courtyard makes me roll my eyes at how many twists and turns Dragonstone has. It looks great and would be challenging to invade, but it’s not really easy getting around for day to day life.

What sounds like a dying bird snaps me from my thoughts suddenly and the following laughter doesn’t ease my suddenly tense nerves. They aren’t laughing at me, they don’t even know I’m here yet. I try to remind myself I have nothing to fear and yet my pace slows to a snail’s as I enter the Godswood.

“Quiet.” A familiar voice barks sternly and the laughter ends. “Someones in the grove.”

“I told you not to ruin the surprise Mother!” A fairly high boys voice calls out in annoyance. “You aren’t supposed to be back he-” Viserys trails off mid stomp when he sees who I am. “Oh, hi.”

He tilts his head to one side and examines me. His scowl quickly shifts into a welcoming smile and his companions emerge from behind him. I’m mostly shocked by his hair though which is not the long flowing locks I was expecting. Instead Viserys has little more than a couple inches of silver hair and it really makes his lilac eyes pop with curiosity.

“Lord Tyrion.” Sandor Clegane greets me next and by name too, his tone even has less of an edge than I remember. “You look well.”

“And you Clegane, looks like we’re both coming up in the world.” Be like Jaime, everyone loves him. I remind myself firmly and try to give off a charming smile. It doesn’t even seem to be noticed by anyone though and I deflate a little.

“Nice to meet you Lord Tyrion, I hope our practicing was not to unpleasant.” The younger of the two blonds is the next one to speak with his charm coming out like second nature. I can try and be like Jaime all I want, the rest of you are living it.

As the familiar bitterness begins seeping into my thoughts, Viserys cuts right through them with an intent look on his face. “Rhaenys said she sent you a harp in the letter Elia penned for her, have you learned to play any songs yet?”

“A few… why?” His eagerness is slightly unsettling and I take a half step backwards unconsciously.

“Perfect!” Clapping his hands in glee before he grabs my hand almost to tightly for comfort. “If you play with us that means Garlan can sing.” It’s only now that I see the harp in the younger Tyrell’s hand.

Of course he can probably play as amazing as he can fight. A horrible realization settles in the pit of my stomach and will not go away. I can’t ever let Jaime touch a harp.

“He’s even worse than I am, so I’m so glad you’re here.” Viserys drags me to a clearing beside a small pond and Garlan eagerly hands me his harp. “I’m the one who’s responsible for this wedding even happening. I need to be able to play something for her and Hoster to dance to.”

“And I’m three times better than you with a weapon, so don’t get so cocky.” Garlan growls back at Viserys playfully and I actually feel included when Willas winks at me.

“I think we can all agree Edmure is the one who needs to spend more time in the yard and less time gawking at all these maidens here for the wedding.” The older Tyrell comments with a dashing smirk on his face. “They shall all be gone soon, but you have to live… or die with your own skills.”

Edmure Tully doesn’t like everyone ganging up on him and crosses his arms defiantly. Well how come you don’t need to train while you’re here?”

“I do every morning, you just sleep in far to long.” The response has the Tully gaping like his namesake.

Knowing far to well how it feels to be the odd man out, I speak up in Edmure’s defense. “Maybe Edmure has just discovered the delights of women. the rest of you will understand one day… or maybe not. If you spend your whole life swinging your sword at men, maybe that’s just your preference.”

Edmure and surprisingly Viserys are the ones who burst out laughing. Even Sandor chuckles at Willas’ embarrassed blush and I wonder if this is what it’s like to be included.

With it now Willas’ turn to sputter for words, his brother is the one to defend him by flinging a fistful of mud on my face. I prepare for my good day to be ruined but I don’t get a barrage from the others following the first.

Viserys cackles madly and bends in half at the waist, flinging mud wildly at his sworn sword between his legs. This just starts a free for all and any intent to play music is put on hold. When I flip out of the way of Edmure’s throw he cheers out in amazement and I can only grin beneath the muck dripping from my face.

Viserys
    After the ‘Battle of the Godswood’ is concluded, we wash off as best we can in the now muddy pond. It’s enough to stop us from dripping all over the castle as we try to sneak a change of clothes, but not enough for us to escape notice.

“I had heard rumors of the ‘Dirty Dragon’ but this is ridiculous.” Olenna Tyrell is standing with my mother and the pair block our way into the section of the castle reserved for family and honored guests. “But at least you clean up well. Shame about the hair though.”

My mother shares a laugh with the older woman while Ser Darry remains silent behind them, Left and Right flanking him on either side. “I know and he had such beautiful hair, it’ll take years to grow it back out.”

“That’s why I cut it all off, Renly’s friends already say I sound and look like a girl… can’t do anything about my voice though.” Going to be a few years until my voice deepens and I’ll always look feminine against all that Durrandon blood back in Storm’s End.

Out of the corner of my eye I see a figure I recognize from King’s Landing and feel my blood chill. Why is Varys here? I’m not even sure the bald man I only briefly saw was him, by the time I had whirled around he had a head full of shaggy red hair.

30. Phoenix Invictus

Phoenix Invictus Know what you're doing yet?

This is really, really good. Hope to see more soon. Watched.

Flightless Man likes this.