1. The Seventh Rule:
    Threads that have been dormant for 1 month are considered dead threads. IF you make a post to a dead thread, it must be a significant contribution; story update, new information on current events, new activity for games elsewhere, etc. Asking if a story or quest is dead or will be continued does not count.
    Brought to you by your oppressive neighborhood ⑨
    Dismiss Notice
  2. After some discussion backstage, I have altered Rule 2 a bit to clarify its function. Please check it out in the Rules post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. After repeated requests and a backstage conversation, I will shortly be implementing an Index subforum in each of the Q&R forums and the NSFW CW forum. Our mods have agreed to do the dirty work of moving said threads, which will be done over the next day or three.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Alerts on thread OP posting are now enabled.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The server upgrade has been completed. As usual, any infelicities may be reported in the appropriate subforum.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. In light of the flood of reports concerning political posts and the repeat offenses of people arguing over the same subject for the last couple months, politics is now banned on QQ.

See the post in the Announcements section for more details.

Dismiss Notice
  7. In the wake of the recent Cloudflare information disclosure issues, we've been asked several times whether QQ might have been affected. QQ does not use Cloudflare in any capacity, and so is not affected by the Cloudflare bug. You may wish to take action regarding other Cloudflare-enabled sites you visit (in particular SV), but there is no problem regarding QQ.
    Dismiss Notice

Personal Information Security - Best practices to avoiding doxxing?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by tehelgee, Apr 18, 2017.

1. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

I got a message recently asking to start a thread on how best to reduce the potential to get doxxed.

However, I'm no expert on the subject, not even a novice. My advice was simply not to put your personal info out there to be found in the first place, advice dating back to the 90s. The individual insisted on a proper thread, though, given the subject matter of this forum and the potential for it to end jobs if it got traced back.

So, then, what tips and advice might be given to those concerned about getting doxxed?

Snake/Eater likes this.
  2. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Radical Yuri Maniac & Archivist

Keeping your internet footprint/history to minimum is always a good option, if not always the greatest/easiest. Keeping them separate from IRL identity works, too. Don't use email for your Facebook account for forum, etc.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  3. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Experienced.

What about software options?

i don't know much except there is spyware programs and vpns, and that a antivirus program called mcAfree is bad to install on a computer.

4. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Software security (keeping your computer from being hacked or infected) is a separate topic from information control (keeping yourself from being doxxed). Related to the former, but still separate, are technological privacy measures such as VPNs.

For the purposes of people here, whose greatest concern is that their online identity not be linked to their real one, the best single measure is simply to not talk about your real life online. There's a degree to which it's difficult to avoid leaking some things (time zone, for example), but every unnecessary piece of information divulged is another clue, one which you can't reliably take down once the Internet has it.

Technological privacy measures, meanwhile, are more for those who are dealing with ISP- or government-level mass surveillance or censorship. There are other resources for this, and I'd generally guess QQ to be low-profile enough that it isn't really a target of such (though still vulnerable to indiscriminate collection schemes).

Snake/Eater likes this.
  5. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Experienced.

But what about idiotic but well meaning or malicious posters on QQ that are tech savvy?

can't we share our knowkedge on what is the best kind of Specific security programs to install?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

There are no programs that prevent you from putting your personal info on the internet. There are no programs to install that prevent people from finding what you've put on the internet.

The lesson here is that you control what you put on the internet, and you must take responsibility for what you've already put out there.

There are ways to mitigate it, of course. Change bank accounts, move, change your name, etc. It just depends on how much hassle and effort you want to put into it.

Valette-Serafina likes this.
  7. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Experienced.

i don't think i've ever put out any personal info that would make it easier to my identity, but i have seen other posters that have made that mistake on different sites.

at most, i could only be guilty of having outdated or minimal security knowledge.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Biigoh

Biigoh Tanuki Land. Tanuki Law. Moderator

The thing is, Snake/Eater... by the time anyone gets concerned about the security of their personal information on the internet, it's too late for such.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  9. DuskAtDawn

DuskAtDawn Of the Thousand Faces

While I occasionally post information that might lead to people IDing my RL info, I'm also a compulsive liar (not actually by choice.). For every time I say something about myself that's true, I lie about myself four, five times, often with contradictory information. Even when I am telling the truth about RL things, such as when I bitch about my job, I usually do so in deliberately misleading terms, or just outright change some stuff. On top of all that, frequently much of what I don't lie about sounds outlandish, because my life's just that damn wacky for some reason. So my advice is to avoid giving out your true information excepting when you also give a reason to doubt that it's actually true.

This is the internet.You have the right to anonymity, but only if you don't waive it via stupidity. Or, uh, get on the wrong side of a sufficiently talented hacker. It's best not to put your information out there at all, but if you must, do it intelligently

Shadow Wolf75 and Snake/Eater like this.
  10. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Experienced.

here is a comparision chart i found on Vpns.

11. Evillevi

Evillevi Shadow Pika!

My opinion is don't talk about your work hours, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, the specifics of what you do, who you know and to always be as vague as possible if you use your life experience as justification for something else.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  12. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Experienced.

And avoid being a jackass on high noon with another jackass with hacking skills on high noon.

13. alethiophile

"Hacking skills" should never come into it. The only potential realization for that would be the QQ server itself, which, go ahead and try.

Google and a lot of patience, on the other hand....

14. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Experienced.

Could a premium upgrade protect a poster's id?

15. alethiophile

No. The one thing has nothing to do with the other thing.