1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

please advise me about new computer questions

Discussion in 'General' started by No Such Entity, Aug 28, 2020.

?

opinions

1. imac good idea

2. imac bad idea

3. r10 overheats

4. r10 does not overheat

5. g5 overheats

6. g5 does not overheat

7. water cooling leaks

8. water cooling does not leak

9. avadirect good

10. avadirect bad

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. No Such Entity

No Such Entity Not too sore, are you?

(reposted from SB tech talk forum)

In the heady days of 2011, I defected from the side of apple to buy a then top of the line gaming laptop for the express purpose of both needing a laptop and wanting to play games that didn’t have apple OS versions available, it is the computer on which I am typing now. It’s now 9 years old, hasn’t had the specs to play new games for the past few years, and has the ever-loving crap beat out of it (screws falling out, side panel near CD drive fell off, much hated screen of some weird plastic material that is permanently unclean, it thinks you just closed the screen whenever it gets moved, have smelled burning when under the high load of a wikiwalk, worried that it might die in the next few months).

My old imac that I loved but was older (and felt faster at half the specs) than the laptop died to a lighning strike

I am looking for a new windows computer, this time a desktop

My questions
    • 1) Other than price what do people think of getting an imac (specs listed below) and partion installing windows
    • 2) Found a good deal on an air-cooled alienware r10 (build configuration below) but worried that it might overheat because DELL + Air-cooling + parts listed, Thoughts?
    • 3) How reliable is a water cooled computer, very worried about leaks, have bad habit of hardly ever backing up my computers
    • 4) Opinions on avadirect (if went custom built), computers from dell (g5, xps special, alienware r10 / r11) issues not connected to either brand name price hike or non-upgrable proprietary parts
    • 5) General Advice after reading below
    0-0-0-0
    Air cool: is it safe to get an alienware r10 and play 4k games on build below or would it overheat?

Found great deal for the following

Alienware aurora ryzen edition r10 gaming desktop
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X (8-Core, 32MB L3 Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.4GHz)(3.6 GHZ base clock)

AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6
    or
    NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready) (would take longer to ship but is same price)

16GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz;
    512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Air Cooled
    Dark Side of the Moon chassis with Low-Profile Smart Cooling CPU Heatsink and 550W Power Supply

Dell Wireless DW1810 (1x1) 802.11ac with Wi-Fi, Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5.0

0-0-0-0
    Overpriced imac if got windows partition

IMAC
    27inch 5k display
    3.8GHz 8-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
    16GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
    Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
    2TB SSD storage

Could switch to
    Radeon Pro 5700 with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
    If SB feels strongly about it

0-0-0-0
    same question of aircooled overheating

dell g5 gaming desktop
    10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700KF processor(8-Core, 16M Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6
    16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz
    256GB M.2 PCIe SSD + 2TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD 3.5"
    500W Chassis with Bezel Lighting

0-0-0-0
    In general

Looking for desktop PC
    PC use:
    for gaming (potentially 4k gaming) / future proof (no upgrades or replacements and no breakdown) for next 6-12 years / tv tropes - youtube - wiki walk with hundreds of chrome tabs open
    Budget: 1500 -3000 USD with 3k including tax being hard cap unless I defect back to apple and decide to get one of their new 3.8 ghz 8 core 27inch imac’s and just run windows on a partition on it (edit: budget does not include buying monitor, monitors will have their own budget and are not relevant to this post)
    Looking for pre-built: have never built a computer before (don’t know how, and a bit unsure of working off of youtube, especially if getting expensive parts) but could maybe be convinced otherwise if someone could explain it to me and point me to good resources

Would prefer
    8 core, base 3.6GHZ
    or better and would strongly prefer 3.8GHZ base
    16 GB ram dual channel
    8GB graphics card , would prefer to be able to play 4k games if possible
    200gb SSD boot, 1 TB hardrive, 500gb SSD would be better
    No interest in overclocking, but unlikely to know how to turn it off if it came already configured that way
    No interest in side window or RGB
    Need some advice on water or air cooled ,
    overheating vs leaks
    Undecided if will get 4k or 1080p monitor (cable input not relevant because can get monitor to fit cable)
    In US, no brand preference unless you count heretical willingness to pay the apple tax
    No interest in modifying / upgrading a computer other than maybe replacing ram

2. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh Not too sore, are you?

iMac is not for gaming. It’s still a good computer though, just not made for that. Edit: this thread is older than I thought.