1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Prodigal Daughter [Worm Alt-Taylor AU]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Ack, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Extras: Imagery
    Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Just to note: I created this image in HeroMachine. It's not 100% accurate, but it's a close approximation.

https://imgur.com/mRBHiOc

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. Extras: So, what did they think was going to happen?
    Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Heh. I did an earlier version of this for Another Way, but with a little work it will fit better here ...

She saw him, standing on the edge of the rooftop, looking out over the city. Such was his belief that she would not attack him, he had his back turned, even though he had to know that she was there. For a moment, Taylor had the impulse to push out her grey field and nullify his powers for a moment, just to shake him out of that supreme self-confidence. But she quashed it as unworthy. They were here under truce, after all.

"Jester." His voice was rich and deep. "Thank you for agreeing to meet with me."

She moved to join him, feeling the gravel turning under the soles of her sneakers. "Your message said that you had something for me." As befitted the gravity of the situation, she refrained from giving her usual little insane giggle. As befitted the role she was playing, she didn't stop smiling.

Somehow, she suspected the giggle wouldn't freak him out anyway.

"I do indeed." This close, she realised that he wore evening dress, illuminated faintly by the glow from the city lights below. Unclasping his hands from behind his back, he gestured out over the city. "We both care about Brockton Bay. You want ... to give its people a better class of crime. I want it to work again. Those two aims can go hand in hand. Currently, we have been working separately, and occasionally at cross-purposes. I propose to put an end to that."

"How?" She was wary, on her guard. The iron bar up her sleeve would drop into her hand in an instant, should she choose to attack. If she pushed out her grey field fast enough, his powers wouldn't be able to get a grasp on her. Despite that, she was fully aware that he would probably win if they fought, here and now. Of course, he did have a strong reputation for never breaking his word and never attacking women or children ... but one could never be sure. The vast profits from running a city unopposed could undermine the strongest principles, given time.

"I propose a partnership." His voice was smooth and measured. "You handle the street level side of things, with assistance as needed from my forces. I handle the higher level politics, with backup from your parahuman forces as necessary."

She paused, searching his words for any tricks. "It can't be that simple."

"It won't be simple in any way at all," he assured her. "But if we are able to work without looking over our shoulders, if I can run interference on the PRT for you, if you can handle the street-level problems for me, it will be somewhat easier for the both of us."

"Your methods -" she began, then paused.

"Are harsh, yes, but I have found them necessary in the past," he went on. "However, I will not be kidnapping twelve year old children. I will not be seeking to betray you while pretending to be your ally. If I am your enemy, you will know it. I would prefer not to be."

"No murdering allies." She hadn't ever thought she'd be saying this out loud.

Carefully, he inclined his head. "As you say. No murdering allies. What, then, do I do with those who begin to cause more problems than they're worth?"

She turned her head to look at him fully. "Let them know that I'm working with you. If the problems persist, send them to me."

"Some would call that a more stringent punishment than my norm." His words were light, addressed to the city skyline.

"Doesn't matter. It's the way it's going to be if we're going to be working together."

"Of course." Again, he inclined his head. "So, then, shall we call it a partnership?" Turning to face her, he extended his hand.

"We've still got to work out the details, but sure." She took it. A fleeting thought crossed her mind that one or the other should really be wearing a joy buzzer, but she ignored it.

It was only a handshake, but it signified much more to Brockton Bay.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019