1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Shell game company is installing spyware on your system.

Discussion in 'General' started by Duncan Idaho, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Not too sore, are you?

if you have played any of the following games in the last few months, with more to be named:
    • Elder Scrolls Online
    • Civilization VI
    • Any game in the Total War series
    • Kerbal Space Program
    • Warhammer: Vermintide 2
    • Dead by Daylight
    • Warhammer 40k Eternal Crusade
    • Magic the Gathering Arena
    • My Time At Portia
    • Battlerite
    • AER Memories of Old
    • Guardians of Ember
    • The Onion Knights
    • Realm Grinder
    • Heroine
    • Anthem Zero
    • Krosmaga
    • Secret World Legends
    • Hunt: Showdown
    • Escapists 2

then lucky for you, a company called Red Shell has installed data collection programs in your computer with updates to these games.

To stop them:

1) email them at privacy@redshell.io, give them your steam id (i.e. the name in the url from your steam profile) and tell them specifically to delete your data and stop collecting data from you under the EU'S GDPR laws or face legal penalty

2) for additional protection, go to:

1) c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts and open up that file in notepad.

2) add to the bottom: 0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io 0.0.0.0 redshell.io 127.0.0.01 redshell.io 0.0.0.0 treasuredata.com 0.0.0.0 in.treasuredata.com

3) THEN go to your command prompt and type in "ipconfig /flushdns"

Source #1

Source #2

Source #3

Thanks to Phearo for providing the newest games that have been reported.

UPDATE #1: The IP here is not the valid one, but it can be found in the redshell.io document or by pinging redhsell.io (open CMD and type /ping redhsell.io)

UPDATE #2: Game list fixed.

UPDATE #3:

UPDATE #3: Phearo has been kind enough to share an imgur album for those who use windows firewall and want to block it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

Isn't that illegal ?

3. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Not too sore, are you?

Depending where you live, yes.

4. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Huh, got Arena a while ago.. but should I care? I buy pretty much nothing online except some random stuff for my grandparents once in a blue moon. And I use no credit card info there.

Like are they collecting data I should care about or just how much I play the game and what adds I click on? Like Google has done that since forever anyway after all.

5. Xero Key

Xero Key Well worn.

Because this group doesn’t have it in the Terms of Service that they are allowed to. Not only that, doing so is illegal in the EU and most of the Western world.