1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule 6

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by DavidTorpid, Mar 4, 2023.

1. DavidTorpid

DavidTorpid Getting some practice in, huh?

It doesn't really effect me because im not intending to delete my account but i was looking though the rules and

In the US, all websites are required to have both a toll-free number and an online process to request account deletion or personal information erasure. As noted earlier, sites don't have to comply with the account deletion request, but they do have to at least anonymize or de-identify your information in that account. A number of states have passed state laws to similar and greater effect.

On top of that given that this website also has EU accounts it also falls under the right to be forgot law (GDPR) which can come with some pretty harsh fines.
    Maybe yall have already worked something out legally to cover yourselfs or im misinterpreting something but its something you may want to look into.

2. HypoSoc

HypoSoc The mind is such a fragile plaything.

Forum posts aren't PII (Personally identifying information). Forums aren't publishers of the data. In neither US law now EU law applies in this situation.

People should not be posting their own personal information carelessly, and even if they do, it is not QQ's legal responsibility. The ability for people to edit their own posts is enough.

Zreader likes this.
  3. DavidTorpid

Perhaps im misinterpreting the rule then QQ will delete someones account if they are asked which can have personal information on them. The rule is just saying they wont delete peoples posts is that correct?

4. HypoSoc

HypoSoc The mind is such a fragile plaything.

You can edit your posts to delete info. QQ will not delete accounts. There is no Personal information in accounts.

Laws care about things like name and address and phone numbers, purchase history, links you click... QQ doesn't store that.

5. DavidTorpid

I mean thats not how that works. I dont think it will matter untill it does though so big shrug yall do you.

6. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

The EU might consider tehelgee within their jurisdiction on account of EU posters existing, but it's not at all clear how they'd actually punish him for ignoring that law. He AFAIK has no assets there for them to seize, and they cannot imprison him unless the USA chooses to extradite. They could maybe cut off donations from EU residents, but that's it.

Big-tech companies follow the GDPR because they do business in the EU and the loss from being unable to continue that business (and/or having their local assets and personnel seized) exceeds the loss from complying with the law. This is also why movie companies don't say anything bad about Xi Jinping; they want to keep access to the Chinese market. But I can say all the bad things I want about Xi Jinping, because he can't actually do anything about it - I don't live there (and don't intend to visit), I don't live somewhere that will extradite, and I don't have any assets in the PRC that could be seized or any ongoing business there that could be interrupted. Foreign laws are only binding to the degree that said foreign country can actually punish you for breaking them.

EDIT: Another example of people going "do your worst" is the various copyright-violation sites hosted in Russia. Those sites can exist because the USA has no way to hurt them; their principals are not in the West and none of their servers are in the US, and Russia refuses to enforce Western copyrights against them. So beyond shaking fists angrily, the copyright holders are helpless.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  7. Canadian Leprechaun

Canadian Leprechaun Lur-king

There's also the Terms of Service, which I'm fairly sure by agreeing to you waive your right to having any official and legally binding say over what happens to information you grant to the site.

8. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Governments know about contracts of adhesion forcing the inferior party to waive rights; they've been around a long time now. Most modern consumer-protection laws state that the rights involved can't be waived, and in some cases go further and criminalise telling people that they've waived the unwaivable rights (Steam got fined for this in Australia; even telling people (falsely) that they're not entitled to refunds in the case of nonfunctional goods*, as Steam originally did, is itself illegal in Australia).

I'm pretty confident the GDPR rights can't be waived, else they'd have been useless against Google/Facebook, but IANAL and don't know the details.

*I know there are some exceptions to "you must refund", but I don't know exactly what they are; IANAL.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Belenus likes this.
  9. Facepalmist

Facepalmist Well, that happened...

...So, I went digging and came up with a whole bunch of points of varying relevance. Then I tossed most of them, thanks to comparing some shit.

So. The ToS and Privacy Policy say that you can request for your account to be deleted - but Rule Six says that the answer will be 'no' by default.

The ToS does qualify both 'can ask' and 'won't receive', though. Namely: the word 'request' (used in all three sources), and the phrase 'undertaken at our own discretion'.
    ---> 'Requests' are not 'Requirements'. 'Requirements' would cover things like DMCA takedown notices. Stretch a point, and it would also no doubt cover official GDPR/CPRA/whatever erasure directions.
    ---> We can't make QQ('s owner and/or staff) do shit. We can, under certain circumstances, convince them that shit needs to get done - at which point they do shit on their own recognisance that may or may not match what you asked for in some or all particulars. (Weasel-ish, but what did you expect out of a ToS?)

...Mind you, all this is about account erasure. You can delete the contents of your own posts in unlocked threads. You can request a name-change, which will usually be honoured. You can also approach QQ staff for help in erasing specific posts in locked threads and/or replies to the information you're worried about. Basically there are a lot of things you can do short of account deletion.

(Oh - and there's nothing stopping QQ from keeping an IP on file, as long as it's kept confidential. If nothing else, they need to keep a record of the request/direction itself. And if that happens to allow them to recognise an IP should the former account-holder ever come back to try damaging the site... well, then that's just a happy accident innit?)

10. ultima333

ultima333 Happy Sunflower Time Administrator

Circling back to this:

QuestionableQuesting is not a business, is not incorporated in any way, does not sell any merchandise*, and does not run advertisements or generate revenue except via donations.

As such, we classify as a Personal Website, and under Recital 18 of GDPR, we're exempt from it.

tl;dr
    "We don't care."

* The merchandise we had for our April Fools day a few years ago was a "upload your own pic to items" website, and we wouldn't/didn't generate any revenue from it.