1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule 8 question

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by Mr Zoat, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Would linking to this article breach Rule 8? It concerns an entire town registering as off-shore for tax purposes.

Prince Charon likes this.
  2. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

It depends on the context, but on first glance I'd say not really.

The telos of Rule 8 is to avoid flamewars. If a flamewar develops or seems likely to develop, Rule 8 infractions are much more likely. In this context specifically, you would want to make sure to avoid getting into an RL discussion of tax rates or Amazon or tax havens or whatever.

Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  3. Polemarchos

Polemarchos Getting sticky.

So did you lead a insurrection somewhere,I'm curiously about why you were explicitly called out by the mods.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you for your reply. I will bear that in mind.
    Not sure I understand. I don't believe that I've been explicitly called out by QQ mods. I just wanted to check that the article was alright.

5. Polemarchos

Polemarchos Getting sticky.

There's a "zoat immigrants rule 8 warning".

6. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Zoat left SV after a controversy involving gender politics, and migrated his popular ongoing story here, bringing many new viewers. That warning was aimed at the new users on QQ, as a note that discussions like that one were not permitted here.

I don't recall there ever being any problems along those lines, so it looks like it worked.

7. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Speaking of announcements, there seems to be one up there still about the increased avatar size being "for a trial period of one week". I'm pretty sure that's out of date.

Prince Charon and january1may like this.