SALLY not SALLY ch13
New
Tangent
Not too sore, are you?
- Joined
- May 19, 2017
- Messages
- 465
- Likes received
- 5,988
SALLY not SALLY
Chapter 13
A broken SI fic by Tangent
Chapter 13
A broken SI fic by Tangent
"I know, I know," Uncle Chuck sighed as he sat down on a bench and slumped his shoulders. "After the whole Metal Sonic Trooper fiasco, you likely didn't expect me to be working on another Metal Sonic…"
"Dad didn't mention another commission," Sally stated bluntly. And then continued under her breath. "Not that he told me about the Metal Sonic Trooper commission at the time either…"
"There wasn't one," Uncle Chuck replied. "I started working on Shard here back during the commission. He started out as a test bed unit that I tried various systems on, but when I was given the Power Gem, I made a housing for it in the test bed torso and he… well… woke up."
"And once he was awake, you didn't know what to do with him," I concluded nonjudgmentally, acknowledging that he had accidentally placed himself in a very awkward position. Because while the Metal Sonic Troopers were not sentient, Shard was. And Uncle Chuck couldn't very well bring himself to kill him.
Sally sighed, no doubt reaching the same conclusion I had. "You may as well finish putting him together. I'll talk to Sonic and the others and see if they'd be willing to accept him into the Freedom Fighters on a probationary basis."
"If not, he could always come to Knothole and find out what he wants to do with himself," I suggested. "That's what I'll be doing."
"Hey, I'm up for it either way, Beautiful," Shard grinned.
I had no idea until just now that I was even capable of blushing…
"Let's not forget what we came here to discuss," Nicole interjected.
"Ah, right," Uncle Chuck perked up. "You said that Nicole was going to be doing a deep dive to clear out Autumn's control overlay program and any other malware she can find. You'd like me and possibly Rotor to act as a safety overwatch for her, I take it?"
How? Oh, right, he's an engineer. Feature creep and distractions aside, he's at least aware of potential safety issues even if he's occasionally blase about them.
"With Jules and Bernadette acting as overall oversight, yes," I confirmed, earning me a slightly hurt expression from Uncle Chuck.
I just looked at him flatly and cocked a brow.
After a moment, he sighed. "Fair enough. I guess I deserved that."
"For what it's worth," I offered, "I don't think you or Rotor are bad people. You just both have a tendency towards feature creep, which is not a trait I feel comfortable having in someone poking around in my head without somebody providing oversight. Last thing I need is laser eyes or fire breath or something silly like that."
"Well, if you don't want them…" Shard quipped.
"Maybe after your probationary period, assuming the Freedom Fighters take you in," Uncle Chuck said, shaking his head. "I already gave you enough extra features - which probably proves Autumn's point, actually. Anyway, Rotor is scheduled for some pool therapy at the rehabilitation clinic near the hospital if you want to ask him as well."
"Ooh! So, I can get laser breath and fire eyes instead!" I joked.
I'm not sure where Sally found the stress ball she threw at me, but I made a show of falling over as if she rolled a nat twenty…
"Oh, yeah, sure," Rotor said as he slowly but steadily did his physical therapy regimen in the clinic's swimming pool. "It'll be interesting to watch Nicole at work, and it's a good idea to make sure your head is clear of any other malware as well. I'll discuss scheduling with Uncle Chuck and let you know when we'd like to do it."
"You mean when you'd like Nicole to do it," I pointed out flatly.
Rotor just looked at me and shrugged. "Just to be clear, that is how I meant it. I'm aware that I have a problem with adding extra, unasked-for features. That's how Bunnie ended up with her arm being able to turn into a Buster Cannon. I'll be on safety oversight only, stepping in only if you or Nicole seem to be in danger. If it makes you feel any better, have a third party there other than Uncle Chuck (because he has the same problem I do) to watch over us."
"We already asked Jules and Bernadette," Sally admitted.
"See? There you go then. No problem." Rotor shrugged again and then started another careful exercise to help with his recovering back injury.
Things were actually looking pretty good so far today, with almost no unexpected hitches or complications so far…
"Anyway," Rotor chose that moment to speak up again. "Nicole, I'd like to thank you for the patience and restraint you've shown these past couple of weeks by staying out of New Mobotropolis' systems. It's gone a long way towards assuring all but the most alarmist among the general public that you can be trusted and that what Regina Ferrum forced you to do was not your fault."
"Thank you, Councilor Rotor," Nicole said cooly, clearly repressing her frustration with the ongoing situation.
"No, seriously - you staying out of the systems of your own accord has gone a long way towards defanging one of Naugus' stronger leverage points. He can't very well offer a King's protection against a threat that isn't there," Rotor explained.
"Well, there is that," Nicole conceded.
"Why hasn't he been driven off yet?" I asked in frustration. Mind you, now that I was wearing a Power Ring, I was much less vulnerable to be taken over by his Crystalmancy, but still…
"Because his subsequent defence of New Mobotropilis during the Death Egg attack actually won him some political support despite the fact that he had just tried to claim the Throne of Acorn by force. Also, he seems to be fixated on restoring at least some political power to the throne. I think our switch to being a republic threw him off."
"Of course it threw him off," I retorted. "He's a bargainer mage and one of the major bargains he had been counting on was for the Throne of Acorn. If it has no political power, a lot of the mystical power he had been tying up in that bargain goes away."
"How do you know these things?" Rotor asked. "I didn't think that Sally was into mysticism."
"
"Okay, that was creepy," Rotor grumbled. "Never say that again."
"No promises," I retorted.
We left Rotor to finish the rest of his therapy in peace and were now just casually walking through New Mobotropolis, taking the time to actually enjoy the city that Nicole had built.
Okay, barring a few more complications and political weirdness than I felt was strictly necessary for one of Sally's days off, things were still looking generally upwards. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, there wasn't a cloud in the…
"DOCTOR ROBOTNIK HAS ESCAPED!" some random Mobian yelled, starting a panic.
Why, universe? Why must you taunt me so!?
Fuck my life…
Last edited: