1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I abandon my ideals?

Discussion in 'General' started by Daytripper, May 22, 2023.

1. Daytripper

Daytripper Connoisseur.

Should I abandon my ideals because they are not part of the cynical cultural milieu?

2. LEGENDARYNOT

LEGENDARYNOT I trust you know where the happy button is?

…no?

3. Daytripper

Daytripper Connoisseur.

Why?

4. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

Give it a trial run. Either to get it out of your system or it works and you're better off.

Nawaf, Stanley_Jeb and FTR2017 like this.
  5. LEGENDARYNOT

LEGENDARYNOT I trust you know where the happy button is?

Because 1. If you’re abandoning you’re ideals for some idea of fitting in you should probably take a moment to think over your decision.
    and 2. Being cynical isn’t healthy mentally and people have enough mental stress existing in modern society as is

6. Andy333

Andy333 Versed in the lewd.

Because if you're willing to abandon your beliefs because of what other people think of you, then their not actually your beliefs. You don't believe in anything. You just let other people think for you because your insecure, and you don't have enough confidence in yourself to make your own decisions.

Now I don't know if that's who you are in real life, but as someone who used to live that way, it's not a happy life.

7. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

How did that guy say ... .

[​IMG]

And here is the site I got the pic from. Quite insightful, actually. :)

I for one think he is my inner animal spirit! :V

8. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

If you have a good reason, then sure.
    I said a good reason.

9. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

10. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

Tell me what those ideals are, and I'll tell you which ones to keep

FTR2017 and Nawaf like this.
  11. BackslashEcho

BackslashEcho Renaissance Bear

Yeah, doesn't feel like I can offer advice without a bit more context.
    Without that, I think you're just going to get a lot of platitudes, Shirou ;)

12. Daytripper

Daytripper Connoisseur.

. Universal brotherhood
    . Liberal democracy
    . Universal truth
    . Justice
    . Human rights
    . Enviromentalism
    . Egalitarianism
    . Individualism
    . Pluralism

Autocorruptor likes this.
  13. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

These need to go.

The rest is either ok to keep or debatable at worst, depending on what exactly you feel these concepts represent.

14. Andy333

Andy333 Versed in the lewd.

Why do you need our opinions in order for you to decided what you believe in? If you believe in something, if you think your doing the right thing, who are we to tell you that you are wrong. Most people who are living their lives want and try to do the right thing. Then they inevitably screw up, because failure happens to everyone. Maybe because they didn't have the information they thought they did, but no matter the reason why the failed, they pick themselves up, learn from the experience, and try to do better next time.

That's what a healthy believe system looks like, its not this static thing. It adepts and changes as you learn more and grow. Usually the ideologies that force you to believe in a very narrow definition or a very strict rules set are not healthy or good. The word fascism comes from the Italian word fascio, which means a bundle of sticks. In ancient roman they had this believe that one stick can be broken, but a bundle can't. If an army stands together they are strong, but if it's divided it will break. For fascists what this means to them, is if you have one group of people, one culture, one religion, one identity, and one skin color all working together for a common goal or state then they would be invincible. Which in case you didn't notice, doesn't leave a lot of room for other groups of people or believe systems.

The important part is learning from mistakes, it's understanding that it happens and its normal. It's normal to have doubts or be afraid, the problem is when you let those things consume you and you decide to let other people do all the thinking for you. Or you go the opposite route and decide that no you are not wrong everyone else is, everyone is my enemy. You need something to believe in. You need something in life to give yourself a purpose, because the universe is certainly not going to give you one. The universe is uncaring. We have to decide our own purpose. But what ever your purpose is, its not the only one in world.

Other people have purposes and believes that they follow, and more often than not your beliefs and there beliefs will challenge each other. In a perfect world you would learn from each other. You might not agree a hundred percent, but you each take some new knowledge and insight from each other and walk away happier. We do not live in a perfect world obviously, but I think the only way were ever going to reach there is if people try.

IAVL, Vorian, Autocorruptor and 3 others like this.
  15. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

This is AITA with extra steps

ZurigaSungama likes this.
  16. Vladicus

Vladicus Sage of reason and incomplete information

My suggestion for you would be to take a long break from the internet, let's say a week and contemplate on those ideals and see if they aren't contradictory to one another. Afterwards I suggest you slap yourself really hard for asking stupid questions. Your ideals are not something you ask random degenerates on the internet whether you should keep or not, they're the pathways you take to building yourself up, to becoming what you wish to be or what you see yourself as.

To abandon your ideals is to abandon who you are trying to become and erase who you are.

Vorian, FTR2017 and xyzinc like this.
  17. Darknessthere

Darknessthere Weak and Weary

If you think asking a bunch of Randos on the internet if you should, you probably don't hold them that close in the first place. Thus you should abandon them, and seek out ideals you actually value, not just the ones you think you should value.