1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I plan for rejuvenation technology?

Discussion in 'General' started by John_Oakman, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

So currently I'm a 20something male who's about to going to grad school (for accounting) and I been thinking/moping a lot about long term plans. I come to the conclusion that I can do 1 of 2 things:

1). attempt to fulfill social expectations, though probably failing them. Most likely being miserable most of the time.

or.

2). saving as much money as possible as soon as possible as hope that technology for rejuvenation (they type in which they revert the body to that of a young healthy adult) will reach at least the experimental stages by the ~2070s. Then basically throw the dice at a sort of second chance at life and hope that the social mores of that time period is less restrictive then now.

So I have a couple of questions:

1). do you guys think such technology will be available by then?

and

2). Should I plan for that kind of thing?

As far as I can see the main problem is that if I pick option 2 and for whatever reason it didn't happen (no tech, or too expensive) I then will have wasted most of my life. But I also really don't want to go the traditional path of life either.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Kildar, Ddmkm122 and me-meboi like this.
  2. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Verified kōhai

Well let's look at it from a cost-benefit perspective.

1) What're the benefits and what're the costs, and
    2) Do the benefits outweigh the costs in your eyes?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Man, I almost thought this thread is a spam you know..

Ddmkm122 and me-meboi like this.
  4. HypoSoc

HypoSoc The mind is such a fragile plaything.

My first thought to this serious question is a comical answer:
    [​IMG]

The point, which I hope doesn't come across as dismissive, is that vague optimism for future technology is unfortunately littered with unconscious, personal bias. I am not a medical researcher so I can't tell you how feasible such rejuvenation technology is. Nor am I a market expert who can tell you whether or not there is a current demand for funding such research. Maybe it will come about, but I have no personal reason to expect it to do so.

Predicting the future is a crapshoot, and most of the time, people end up completely wrong.

So, unless you want to get personally involved in that research, as a scientist, or a manager, or perhaps even a venture capitalist (if you are so lucky) and manage to force it to come to fruition in time, I would not count on it as a bystander.

That would take tons of work and expertise, and perhaps a great deal of work just to get enough money to start, but I imagine it would be a bit more successful (not to mention very useful for mankind in general), compared to just saving up and hoping.

As for your other option, forgive me for assuming, but I imagine it has something to do with "settling down" and having kids? I can't really imagine any other social expectation that would prevent you from saving up. I understand you are being intentionally vague on your concerns, and I don't blame you, so don't feel obligated to confirm or deny this.

Personally, I'm of the belief that nobody is obligated to have kids, or get married, or anything like that, and that forcing yourself to do so based on general societal inertia is not only wrong for the invididual, but not actually helpful for society. But that's just the way I was raised and the society I grew up in. I imagine your family/culture were so accommodating you wouldn't be having this issue.

If it's a matter of "immortality through genetic line" then, well, a sperm bank is an option (I assume from your profile).

As for social mores, well, society is not a monolith, nor is it an external force. It's all individuals, and, as an individual, you are able to exert a change. Sure a person alone doesn't affect much, but you can find communities of like-minded people on the internet or in real life. Social mores can and do change, and you could decide to aid in the campaign for such.

I'm mostly just spouting words, but as a college educated twenty something, you have to opportunity to pursue your goals, whatever they may be. It's almost certainly difficult and stressful, and you might even fail, but even that feels like a better chance than relying on a technological miracle. It would be faster too.

Ddmkm122, me-meboi, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  5. Splodge

Splodge Not too sore, are you?

Something to consider: Don't put off living now in the hope of living in the future.

You can't predict what's coming. Some contingency planning is sensible, but overdoing it is just as bad as not doing it at all.

Do not put off being happy now for the vague hope of being happy in the future, because the future will never live up to your dreams and all you will get is disappointment. Instead, work on changing your circumstances so you can be happy now.

Ddmkm122, Vorian and Subrosian Smithy like this.
  6. Kildar

Kildar Tarrasque in Training

Hopefully no one minds if i necro as this isn't a story thread.

I'm basically following this plan myself, our generation is lucky as we have a chance at immortality.
    Although the joke picture is actually true as well.

Personally i'm saving up as either they will develop it or they won't.(50/50)
    If they don't then i use the money to buy organs and medical treatments to give me an extra decade or so and then use the last of the money for cyro-stasis.
    Which currently doesn't work, but might in the future and is better than nothing.

Its a roll of the dice, but if i give up overseas holidays then i can probably have the $200k over 30 years of investing.

E: regarding current tech? They de-aged mice cells by about a year this year. The process should work on humans, but probably won't be available to us for around 50 years or so (pessimistically).
    I'm using the time taken to figure out heart replacement surgery as my basis, as they did it in animals, then humans, then got it to work in humans, then increased the success rate, then made it 'cheaper'.

Ddmkm122 and Yuhabahha like this.