1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

So what's really going on in Worm?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ack, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

As nobody else seems willing to do so, I've opened this thread.

It's a place where people whose ideas of Worm come from fanon can throw out those ideas and ask how is it that Worm even works, and those of us who have actually read it can fill them in.

Guardian54
    edale
    The Unicorn

So, would anyone like to start?

cogi234, Pyrion, Vhalidictes and 3 others like this.
  2. Ack

Yeah, but we don't have to do it in that thread.

If I had a drinking game where I took a drink every time you referred to fanon as canon, I'd be dead.

Taylor mentions gangs in Winslow, in conversation with someone else, once.

As you would know if you read Worm.

Nope, nope and nope.

Gang clashes happen, but the big problem is when the capes clash.

E88 is the largest gang in the city, with the most capes.

And who says Lee can't do paperwork?

Finding him is the big problem. Remember his power. He can stay under the radar by not doing anything that would draw major attention. And if anyone did get close, he uses his power (and information gleaned from his position as a strike squad commander) to shut that down before it goes anywhere.

FFS, read Worm..

Simonbob, cogi234, SilvCrest and 8 others like this.
  3. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Soooo... I heard about this thing... that All Seeing Eyes knows everything... it's like she's Sherlock Holmes in a cute blonde package or sumthing. :3

4. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think that All_Seeing_Eye being Lisa is canon.

The_Winged_One being Ziz is total fanon though.

5. Aleph

Aleph Experienced.

What if you’ve read Worm but can no longer remember what is and isn’t canon because of how pervasive the fanon has become? I legitimately cannot remember Panacea’s actual characterization at this point.

So, serious question - is there a canonical list of where Protectorate Headquarters are placed? I know there’s one in Vegas, but that’s about all I can remember.

Mil, Victory00, cogi234 and 6 others like this.
  6. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

The solution is then to reread Worm and then continue on Ward :p

Alternatively, look at the relevant chapters/arcs (character tags and google are helpful here).

Victory00, TRm and Ack like this.
  7. Guardian54

Guardian54 Versed in the lewd.

Mental degradation.

The more slippery he seems, the more dangerous he seems to the PRT. "Too strong to affordably excise" is very close to "Too dangerous to leave alive" for folks more intelligent than Cauldron.

Nyarl-sama and Prince Charon like this.
  8. ShadowStepper1300

ShadowStepper1300 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Nope. Tattletale's canon username is Tt.

cogi234, Nawaf, Vhalidictes and 5 others like this.
  9. Chastity

Chastity Well worn.

She's a dumb bitch who makes the worst decision possible every time, not a poor woobie who destroys herself because she's such a good person.
    I can't even find All_Seeing_Eye with some googling/searching of the text itself, much less confirm it's Tattletale. Toss it in the fanon hole.

LuxStella, Nawaf, Sol Zagato and 10 others like this.
  10. edale

IIRC, that was a throwaway account only used to contact Taylor, not one used throughout the fic.

11. ShadowStepper1300

Still the only one she uses in canon.

12. edale

PRT's kinda busy dealing with Nazi's, druggies, rage dragons, and being SEVERELY outnumbered on nearly all fronts.

Shava Nova, Akasora, cogi234 and 2 others like this.
  13. Guardian54

"If he doesn't make big waves, then capturing him should be simpler than dealing with the cape-centered gangs, still a major PR coup" type thinking applies.

14. Ack

Finding him is the problem. Then, once you corner his men, you discover that their rifles have undermounted lasers that cut through steel. And if they fail to make a clean getaway, he drops that timeline and goes with the one where they didn't run into the cops/PRT/heroes.

Top sixty most populous cities in the US. Pretty sure I've got the list in my Worm Resources Thread.
    There's no actual cite to say that he's incapable of reading, writing or filling out paperwork. Just that he's barely able to think for himself.
    The PRT canonically left the Merchants alone. A gang that's literally based around drug dealing. Coil is far less newsworthy than them. Besides, as I keep saying, he has other people do his dirty work for him.
    That's not her username. It's just what she used as a 'signature' for her PM.

poyac, Nawaf, Deadpanwitch and 9 others like this.
  15. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

The only ones whose PHO ID are canon are Greg (XxVoid_CowboyxX) and Garrote (GstringGirrl). Every other PHO ID (well other than Vista positing in public, at least post Leviathan) is fanon. Including All_Seeing_Eye and Tin Mother.

Nope. we don't know what her username is, just that in a post she wrote to Taylor in the "connections section" she signed her post Tt.
    https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/insinuation-2-2/
    Only by people who have no idea what they're talking about. "Isn't making waves" does not mean "won't resist arrest", it can mean quite the opposite. It will also mean the prosecutor will have a harder time convicting in the unlikely event you can capture him, and the fact he's not "making waves" makes it more difficult to capture him because he wouldn't be interacting with others publicly and being visible to make it easier to track him.

Seriously? The PRT simply put a base in the to 60 cities? Okay.
    Do you know how many bases they have in Canada?

Barring some WoG I'm not aware of, I'm pretty sure there isn't even that - just people reading too much into Jack Slash's comment (and assuming that he was right)

Not a PM, but otherwise correct.

cogi234 likes this.
  16. Ack

To quote (this was cut & pasted from my original source):

17. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

I re-read Worm recently. I strongly disagree with you on this point.

cogi234, Akasora, MrBTXz and 6 others like this.
  18. Valor

Valor Versed in the lewd.

I re-read the Panacea interludes recently. I strongly disagree with your opinion.

19. pepperjack

Just so long as the only voice in the thread speaking from a position of familiarity with the text isn't "Panacea is a dumb bitch," I feel my work here is done.

poyac, cogi234, LuxStella and 13 others like this.
  20. Aleph

Aleph Experienced.

Thanks! That’s a great list for anyone trying to write Wormfics in the universe rather than just keeping it in Brockton Bay. Especially Gary. There’s like seventy thousand people there - what happened that got it quarantined?

Victory00, GoodMonday and Ack like this.
  21. ShadowStepper1300

A massive explosion in the villain population.

Deadpanwitch and Ack like this.
  22. Aleph

Aleph Experienced.

Yes, I got that part. But what exactly does that mean? How did a town a fifth of the size of Brockton Bay get so many supervillains that the US government threw up its hands and said “No Man’s Land.”

Victory00, seraphi and Prince Charon like this.
  23. Guardian54

And, of course, why they didn't make an example of it to remind villains elsewhere that "try seceding too overtly and the gloves come off"?

Because that's totally what they would happily do before writing off an area unless there were no viable survivors (Ellisburg, Madison).

Otherwise if just a large enough villain population is enough, Gesselschaft should send capes to swarm New England cities regularly to get the whole region walled off.

24. redfog

redfog I trust you know where the happy button is?

Panacea was mean to Skitter. Skitter threatened to kill an entire roomful of people though, so I'm going to say that bad idea was entirely justified. The rest of it was just the world picking up her emotional baggage and beating her to death with it. You might as well call Taylor a dumb bitch for punching Emma in her smug face.

poyac, Ereg, Victory00 and 14 others like this.
  25. Guardian54

I would. Amy might not be the BEST at decision-making, but compared to Taylor she's godly at it.

Being taught to bottle it up forever even while they keep piling shit on you is for what Evaluator Kael calls "the chattering classes", designed to keep them downtrodden and easy to push around. A bookish person who's actually learnt anything from what they've read (and is not a total tech-head, which Taylor is demonstrably not) should be able to pick up some of this and NOT fall in the "better person" fallacy.

If they've stopped piling or even trying to pile shit on you, sure, you might have better things to do than to bother with revenge (and revenge might be too troublesome, but if they aren't stopping? Then don't bottle it up, it'll jsut result in you exploding and getting yourself in trouble one day one way or another. At the very least plan--and with how bad the Trio tend to be depicted it's not going to stay at just planning--out how to get back at them, preferably in a way that can't be traced to you, before you reach your breaking point and it gets you in trouble.

I would have gone with taking some mosquitoes, visiting some Merchants in Winslow, and giving Emma some blood-borne diseases. Completely deniable and impossible to obtain proof for barring a whole mountain of Tinker bullshit, which they're not going to pull in for some random girl getting a few unlucky mosquito bites.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  26. redfog

redfog I trust you know where the happy button is?

I was more talking about the concussion-fueled punch. Expecting her to be rational and making optimal decisions there would itself be stupid, but you're right the stuff leading up to it and that came after it were very dumb. Especially letting the divorce lawyer have time to poison the well.

cogi234, ShadowStepper1300 and Ack like this.
  27. pepperjack

Some of this talk about how dumb characters supposedly are makes me wonder what folks think a novel of their own life would look like, and how they expect their own actions would be judged.

poyac, Thamerlin, liquid_oni and 30 others like this.
  28. edale

Guardian hasn't read Worm, he has no way to know that that punch happened while Taylor was concussed (especially as I don't think I've seen a single fanfic that still has that concussion in it).

It's why we keep telling him to read Worm, so he can know things like that.

poyac, cogi234, Nawaf and 4 others like this.
  29. Guardian54

"Literally Everyone Is A Dumbass" would be a trope if enough such novels were written.

The uproar from authors having such a thing still happen and readers arguing that Taylor normally has better self-control than that (read: no cracked valves in the high pressure bottle that she didn't bother putting a safety valve in) is enough to inform me about the concussion.

30. Chastity

Chastity Well worn.

It would be excruciatingly boring and all my mistakes would be petty mistakes of inaction like "didn't immediately sell his college textbooks when he was done with the class." I don't even know how I would even start being as much of a fuck up as Amy.