1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fanfiction Forum resurrected!

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

So... someone was kind enough to literally mirror and recreate TFF... down to the accounts and is providing accounts and stuff.

EVERYTHING (bar messages, and account info) got moved.

Also, passwords got provided, just need to change those once initial log in is done.

So, were YOU a member of TFF? Just check your PM inbox on the old TFF and snag the info. Mind you, this is a FORKED forum and not a mirror. anything posted AFTER transition isn't going to show up on the other~

The new site - http://thefanfictionforum.icyboards.net/index.php

EDIT -

(9:55:02 PM) Shirotsume: for clarities sake- the lemon password is

explodinglemons

no spaces no capitals. Spread it around.

2. EnderofWorlds

EnderofWorlds Versed in the lewd.

...So, does that defeat the whole purpose of this forum; considering it was made to be a 'TFF with decent moderation so it works'?

3. Jans

Jans That which smiles.

Only if you think it does. TFF isn't the most friendly of boards.

4. Lilithium

Lilithium born in 1900

=/

it better fucking not I'm in the process of porting all my shit over here and the only reason I'm doing that is due to this being a little hidey hole where all my friends are.

5. Jans

Jans That which smiles.

xD

And here I am being all nice and shit about it. You make a good Bad Cop Lilithium.

6. Lilithium

Lilithium born in 1900

I'm due for my period tomorrow.

Blind rage at the slightest problem or in some cases a mostly harmless if highly distasteful joke.

7. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Note the name : Questionable Questing. This board is primarily for GMs to run their Quest without the overbearing presence of the SB moderation team suffocating them. The idea for it was born in TFF but that's about it as far as link to it go.

TFF is for fanfictions, this one is for Quest. No conflict there.

8. WizardOne

WizardOne Guest

TFF coming back to life is great news, if it works, and should not affect the workings of this board at all.

TFF has never had any sort of questing presence, and in recent years has become more of a board for gossip and discussion than an actual fanfiction board. That may change now that new members can join, however, we have different foci as forums.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

At this moment, I have my doubts about the quality of the site's administrators, given that one of them just hypocritically banned me for trying to do last year the exact same thing they just did for the exact same reasons, if in a different fashion (but with the exact same risks of TFF being deleted from the Internet). The main differences I can see are that I was open and honest about what I was doing, while they were secretive and refrained from telling anyone about it until they were already done, and that they succeeded while I failed.

10. Jans

Jans That which smiles.

Yeah... retroactive bans aren't exactly a good sign.

Nawaf likes this.
  11. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Yeah, I got an email a few hours ago.

12. Shiro

Shiro Getting some practice in, huh?

Hello! I am... sort of the admin of the neo-TFF. In truth, I'm going to be passing that one to someone else as soon as things stabilize- I hate administrating.

I would like to clear up some of the confusion about the nature of the ban, since it was brought to my attention.

A bit of background. TFF was, for a very long time, without an admin. This is, of course, a violation of the Invisionfree Terms of Service- something which Nicknumbers brought directly to the attention of the administrators of Invisionfree. Without telling anyone what he had done until it was (I think) already denied, he attempted to gain adminship of TFF without any discussion on the matter until the deed was done. He also expressed no problems with the site being deleted, calling it a 'high risk high reward' venture, believing that TFF was as good as dead/deleted anyway.

I had some free time yesterday and, upon seeing yet another topic about how everyone wished Hawk was back, I posted saying I had an idea- to scrape the forum and copy it. I then realized that if Hawk came back at any point and saw that post, he would nuke TFF to the ground. I deleted the post and moved to our IRC channel, where the idea was met with some approval. At that, I created a python bot that scraped TFF: all 8 gigs of it. After that was done, I announced in the thread proper that we had a copy of TFF, ready to go anywhere in order to facilitate discussion amongst a wider audience. (This part is what nick refers to by having an equal chance of deletion) At the end of the day, thefanfictionforum.net was created. (Thanks to the anonymous donator for the hostname!)

Now, I will fully admit. I grabbed adminship for neo-TFF without discussing it as a result of being the one to set it up. I also hope to not keep it, but that deed was done. As a result, I find myself with adminship of a board that is not mine.

For personal reasons, I refuse to make unilateral decisions without the input of TFF as a whole, because again, this is not my forum. It's TFF's.

As invites were sent out, the overwhelming majority in IRC called for a perma-ban on nicknumbers for his past actions before he could use the password sent out, to make sure that the move wasn't accompanied by an undue amount of drama.

Nick- let me make something clear. I'm not fond of you- not for calling invisionfree, but for your attitude at times. That said, while I think you deserve a ban, I do not think you should have one, if that makes sense. A ban should be a big deal. A very large deal. But that is not my decision, because this is not my board, and my opinions don't matter when I put on the admin hat.

Regardless- your ban is a temporary one. It appears to be a perma-ban at the moment- that's because I can't actually find temp bans in the admin CP. Before I give up adminship, I will have it changed to a temp ban. EDIT: It's changed to a temp ban.

Anyway- sorry for the drama everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Ddmkm122 and Nawaf like this.
  13. Jans

Jans That which smiles.

<3 Shiro! Thanks for all your time and effort mate, double thanks for coming over here to reassure people.

14. al103

al103 Not too sore, are you?

Hn... Probably would move... would need to read backlog from
    first though :D

15. Himura

Himura IRL Enthusiast

TFF won't replace this forum.

This forum is mostly based on writing Questing and RPs with a bit of Fanfiction.

TFF is mostly for Otaku and Fanfiction culture.

A bit of crossover but for the most part mutually exclusive.

16. Biigoh

Auuuuu... it is so.

17. Scope

Scope Versed in the lewd.

Huh, what happened to the TFF Archive website?

18. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

WizardOne took it down for the time being as the stories are now fully accessible to those that want to sign up on the new TFF.

I don't really agree that it was a necessary move but he can put it back up if nTFF fails for some reason.

19. Lemonbarb

Lemonbarb Very sour Grinch

So TFF is getting an import

So~, after a lot of hell that was the past in TFF, we get a complete o' Copy of it. Guess it's time to try and quickly make an Account before it goes Admin-less and closes doors again...

Goodbye the TFF I do not like... And hello the TFF with an Admin. Sure it's hard being an Admin, but as long as you pass on the torch to another and back ups before you quit, you'd at least HAVE Admins for a change.

20. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

before the new TFF site was made, i tried to create an account on the old one, just because "it can't hurt to try"

i was very surprised when it worked.

when did the old forum get reopened to new members anyway?

(my account creation date was apparently March 11, 2013)

21. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Wait, what? *checks members list* Umm, no, it says your account was created on 25 March, 2010, at least on the old TFF.

22. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

on the new one it says "03-24-2010" (which makes no sense, at all, because that was years before i tried signing up on either site)

but the old one says "Joined: March 11, 2013"

wait.

i just found a third version of the site that says "Feb 11 2013"

ok, fuck.

lets get this straight.

the new one is http://thefanfictionforum.net right? (that's what the icyboards link in the OP redirects to)

the old one is http://z10.invisionfree.com/Fanfiction_Forum/index.php?act=idx (this is the one linked to on TVtropes so i assume this is the original one, right?)

23. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

I checked on http://z14.invisionfree.com/The_Fanfiction_Forum/index.php?act=idx . I don't know if there's a difference between the versions on the different invisionfree servers.

24. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

huh, that one does say "Mar 24 2010"

.... now i'm confused.

:-\

25. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Maybe you registered on a whim and promptly forgot about it?

26. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

but on one version it has one date, and on another version it has another date, but they are both the same account.

27. Shiro

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Fanfiction_Forum/index.php?act=idx is not TFF.

Someone must have jacked the URL on tvtropes before it was locked. Can someone with a TVtropes account fix the page to at least link correctly?

EDIT: Actually, it appears someone took advantage of us mentioning the site got forked to trick a moderator into changing it to their own personal site. I've messaged the moderator about it. Apparently the site is letting me register now.

Also, I'm no longer the admin of neoTFF. Watashiwa and The Ero-Sennin were elected admins, with Chronodekar, GenocideHeart, and Souffle as mods.

Gratz guys.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  28. Master of Squirrel-fu

Master of Squirrel-fu The Original

Actually TFF still exists, that's an entirely knew site with a similar name and theme.

29. Biigoh

http://thefanfictionforum.icyboards.net/

30. Shiro

...Yes, I'm aware of this and said nothing to the contrary...? :p

Ddmkm122 likes this.