• A notice about Rule 3 regarding sites hosting pirated/unauthorized content has been made. Please see here for details.
  • Staff is working to deal with the problem of synonymous tags. See here for more information and to suggest tag mergers.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.

The Force of Magic [Star Wars SI]

Chapter 26 New
The Temple was beautiful. Not merely for its architecture, its vastness, or the elegance of its interiors, but for the lightness and tranquility that seemed to suffuse the entire place. Serenity lingered in the air, soaked into the very walls of the majestic structure; everything around me seemed to breathe it. What I had glimpsed and felt during meditation—in Chatak's workings with the Force, and even in the Zabrak herself—was everywhere here, effortless and all-encompassing.

It was... like the elves' Great Forest. Unhurried, measured, peaceful—and yet majestic and monumental all the same. There was power here. Not aggressive, but impressive in its sheer strength and, strangely enough, its wisdom.

The sentients accompanying me, and those we passed along the way, seemed to carry something of their surroundings within them, to one degree or another. Adult Jedi, little clusters of younglings, Padawans. They were all different: some watched me with suspicion, some with curiosity, a few with caution, but every one of them seemed to possess some measure of that same... wise, powerful calm. That didn't mean they all looked like venerable old sages—not at all. Children were still children, adults were still adults. It was simply that being Jedi left its mark.

I badly wanted to slip into meditation and see what the ocean of magic looked like here. I figured that if our conversation went well, they probably wouldn't deny me something as minor as sitting perfectly still for ten minutes or so in a place set aside for exactly that purpose.

I was so absorbed in the sensations around me that I didn't immediately notice the Jedi escorting me had fallen silent. Yoda answered the question I hadn't yet voiced.

"Getting to know the Temple, you are. Disturb you, we wished not to," the goblin said with a faint, knowing smile, taking his amusing little steps and leaning on his cane as he walked. "An unforgettable experience, a first visit to our home always is. For the gifted, especially."

"Thank you," I said, giving the short sentient a grateful nod. In response, he merely closed his eyes for a moment.

"Was there nothing like this where you studied?" Master Windu asked. I snorted at the question.

"No. It was dreary and dusty. The Burnt Lands, where my mentor lived, were a dull little place—rather like Tatooine, only with less sand. Scorched earth, in places fused into glass, hardly any sources of water. There were no generations of sorcerers living there, either. A large outpost, and maybe two or three spellcasters over several thousand years. No more than that," I said, scratching the back of my head uncertainly. Truth be told, I knew next to nothing about the old sorcerer's family. "You need a very particular sense of beauty to choose a place like that as your permanent home."


Calling the place they brought me to a terrace was something of a stretch. It was more like a gazebo inside a conservatory, with an enormous transparent window looking out over the city and offering a breathtaking view of the Republic's capital.

Masters, masters everywhere. Hmm... Quite a few of them had turned up. Once I stopped paying so much attention to the sensations around me, I started dredging up what I'd read about the Order back when I first got access to public information. Windu I'd looked up again just yesterday: he was more or less the Jedi Order's public face to the outside world. Spent plenty of time in the Senate, represented the Order, that sort of thing. The rest of the Council, though, I'd last read about three years ago, and only in passing at that. Back then, I'd been much more interested in the Jedi as an organization than in the individual people running it.

I dug through my memory and eventually put names to the other three Masters—and that was enough to impress me. Rancisis and Yaddle I only knew as members of the Jedi Council. Yoda, though, was the Grand Master. The biggest fish in the pond, so to speak. Which was a rather funny way to think of him, given his size. Luminara Unduli, on the other hand, I'd never heard of. Probably not anyone especially important, yet for some reason they'd brought her along.

And calling the local goblins "short-lived" clearly didn't fit either. I seriously doubted you could master Force techniques, learn swordsmanship, and build enough authority to end up running an organization like this in forty or fifty years. And if you could, I was going to develop one hell of an inferiority complex. Damn, I really should have read whatever biography was publicly available. My screwup, though.

So now we were seated around a round table. Yoda, the little big-eared head Jedi, sat directly across from me, with Yaddle on one side of him and Windu on the other; Luminara and Oppo sat between them and me. I'd drifted off into thought for a moment, so I actually flinched when Yoda spoke.

"Grateful for your help to the Jedi, I am."

"Nothing it is," I said with a dismissive wave, unconsciously slipping back into my old manner of speech. "Just got lucky twice in a row."

"Coincidence, I think not. Destiny, perhaps?"

"Destiny does not exist," I said with my usual dismissive wave, smiling mockingly. "Only a tale for the weak, it is."

"Of true prophecies, have you never heard?" Yaddle asked, looking into my eyes with curiosity.

"Prophecies are all merely pushes, urging people to act. Through an endless maze of choices they steer you toward an outcome that benefits the one who made the prediction. One way or another. Often, without the prophecy, the very outcome it warned of would never have come to pass—the fear it caused was what drove people to act in the first place." I shook my head and met Yaddle's gaze.

"And believe this, you do..." the Master prompted, watching me with curiosity.

"Life is a million roads leading to a million different ends. Only you have the right to choose where to turn, what goal to set, what decisions to make. Think it, I do not. Know it, I do. Believe it."

"Hmm..." Yaddle murmured, nodding in approval. Yoda, meanwhile, smiled kindly and made a vague gesture with one hand.

"We Jedi... a complicated relationship with destiny have. Yet truth there is in your words. A path of one's own, everyone has. False visions of the Force there have been as well—and to disaster, they have led. With caution, into the future we look, when a glimpse of it we are given."

"True," I agreed, returning the goblin's smile. "A truth of their own, everyone has. Games with the future, I want no part in. But neither have I the right to forbid them or pass judgment."

So Yoda and I got to talking, and Yaddle soon joined in as well. Interesting sentients, the two of them—and their sense of humor was... subtle. The others, though, looked a little... odd. For the first few minutes, Unduli kept shifting a puzzled look from me to the goblins and back again. The naga occasionally let out a quiet, hissing chuckle, glancing between her and the three of us. Only Windu remained Stern and Impassive throughout, apart from a slight lift of one eyebrow near the very beginning of the conversation.

Our conversation was interrupted by a droid—some model of protocol unit—which set a small, elongated metal box on the table in front of me.

"I wanted to ask whether one of your apprentices might have lost this," the Grand Master said, nodding toward the box.

What was this? Had one of the youngsters already broken loose into the wider galaxy? Couldn't our little speed demons sit still for once? Those were the thoughts running through my head as I opened the box... and stared in confusion at a piece of some kind of cylinder. From the look of it, part of the thing had been cut away.

"Uh... a lightsaber? And a broken one at that? Honestly, I can't say for certain. But when I left Jabiim, no one there was fooling around with anything like this," I said, scratching the back of my head thoughtfully before looking up at Yoda. "A hologram of the one you mean, do you have?"

The goblin merely nodded, and a hologram appeared in the center of the table.

"No," I said at once, shaking my head as soon as I got a good look at the sentient. "The first Zabrak I ever got to know even remotely well was aboard the Hammerhead. Knight Bol Chatak, she was. This one, I do not know." I looked at the hologram again and added, "A face like that, I would remember. Terrible constipation, this Zabrak suffers from. Twisted him up something awful, yes."

"Suffers no longer, he does," the green one said with a snort, prompting a quiet chuckle from Rancisis. "Dead, he is. Forgive me, Master Siith. Testing you, we were."

"Yeah, I figured that out already," I said with a snort of my own. "May I ask what exactly you were trying to find out?"

"Your name sounds much like that of our ancient enemies. The Sith. The Force, you wield, though sorcery you call it—and they wielded it as well. A piece of a slain Sith's lightsaber we showed you, and his hologram too. A sign of recognition, we were looking for."

"Ah... But they're... gone, aren't they? For about a thousand years now?"

"Alive, they still are," Yoda said with a sorrowful sigh. "Two there are. Master and apprentice. Which one died, we do not know—the apprentice, or the Sith Lord. But that a Padawan could defeat the elder of the two, doubt it I do."

"Sith Lord..." Something clicked into place. I noted it for later consideration and set it aside for now. "That isn't in any public source."

Master Windu then Sternly informed me that the information wasn't exactly classified, but the Jedi would rather it didn't spread beyond the "club of the gifted." I took the hint, thanked them for the trust, and remembered my little gifts.

The small wooden case, once opened, revealed six plain metal rings to the Jedi gathered around the table: five set with red stones, and one with a green stone.

"Adjust itself to the wearer's finger, the ring will. The stone's color shows the charge level. Clear means empty. Then green, yellow, orange, red, black. Black means overcharged—best not let it get that far, or the artifact will fail. Once worn, detectable it no longer is; only its owner can sense it. Charged to red, eight hours it will work. To activate it, turn the stone. A demonstration."

I took the ring with the green stone, stepped a short distance away from the others, slipped it onto my finger, and turned the stone ninety degrees clockwise. The full concealment spell complex activated at once. I could no longer be detected in any spectrum except the visible one, and even there I was reduced to a blurred silhouette.

For several seconds, I stood there in silence, watching the Jedi's reactions. Then I deactivated the ring.

"Only the naked eye can spot you. It conceals every emission the body gives off: heat, life, magic, thought. Everything I know how to detect. As you saw, it also blurs the wearer's outline. And there's one additional function available to anyone carrying a lightsaber. Any volunteers?"

Oppo Rancisis volunteered. The naga slipped the ring on without difficulty, and it adjusted itself to fit his finger. The blurred figure asked what to do next, and I told him to activate his saber. With a low hum, two hazy lightsaber blades sprang to life, running parallel to each other.

"Ooh..." came a quiet exclamation. "Useful. A feint."

The saber's blurred outlines lunged forward, smeared, then seemed to shift sideways. A few more swings distorted the visible image at random, making it impossible to tell exactly where the Jedi's weapon really was.

"Exactly, Master. A false blade, the artifact creates, while in the visible spectrum it slightly shifts the apparent position of the real one," I explained for the others. "And recharge the ring, a Jedi can. Direct the Force into it until the stone turns red."

"This is..." Master Unduli began.

"Quite a valuable gift..." Yaddle continued.

"Accept it, we cannot," Yoda finished.

"A gift, you called it. A tradition. The customs of other peoples, we respect. But too valuable, your gift is."

I returned to my seat and met the Grand Master's eyes with a faintly mocking look.

"This isn't a gift from one sentient to another. The Jabiim Mages' Guild is giving these artifacts to the Jedi Order. It's promotion, Master Yoda. A gift and an advertisement."


"Listening to them has given me a headache," the Korun grumbled, turning one of the rings over in his hand after yet another sparring bout with Oppo. The Thisspiasian beside him merely gave an amused snort. Yoda and their strange guest had gone off to wander the Temple about an hour ago, leaving Rancisis and the Korun behind to test the rings.

"After all my years as Master Yaddle's apprentice, used to speaking that way I became," Oppo said, then laughed when Windu grimaced. "Oh, come now. On the Council—"

"There are two of them on the Council already. Today there were three, and then they got Siith doing it too. Ugh..." the dark-skinned man sighed. "Too much Yoda."

"My name, I heard just now," came a sudden voice from right beside the Korun, making him flinch. A small blurred shape had crept up on them unnoticed.

"Ahem..." Windu cleared his throat and looked down at the Grand Master. "Testing our new acquaintance's gifts?"

"Remarkable things, the sorcerer has created," Yoda said with a nod as he came back into focus. "Great benefit, cooperation with the Guild could bring the Order. But great danger as well."

"In the hands of criminals..." Windu agreed with a nod.

"Or the Sith," Rancisis added, his expression turning serious.

"Yes. Master Siith... Young, their Guild is. When I asked about its charter, greatly surprised the sorcerer was. Almost no restrictions do their spellcasters have, beyond their own conscience, he said. Reassuring, at least, that things like this"—the Grand Master held up the ring—"difficult to make are, expensive, and require extensive knowledge, according to him."

"Where is he even from? I don't believe Jabiim has had specialists like that all this time," Oppo said, running a hand over the thick hair covering his face before looking questioningly at Yoda.

"A traveler, he is. Settled on Jabiim—'a good place,' he said. Born on a planet called Turtle, but where it is, even he does not know. A blind hyperspace jump, I suspect, though no details did he give. The Unknown Regions, perhaps. Of the Republic, the Jedi, and the Sith, nothing he knew until he met the Jabiimites."

"By the way, where is the sorcerer himself?" Windu asked.

"Left him in the Archives with Yaddle, I did. Asking Jocasta Nu to marry him, the sorcerer is," Yoda said, then gave a cheerful chuckle at his fellow Jedi's stunned expressions. "The Archives as her dowry, he wants. A fabulous bride-price, he promises. When asked whether the Sith holocrons should be thrown in as well, said no—'the Archives alone should keep me busy for a long time.'"

"Kha... kha..." the Thisspiasian broke into a coughing fit. "I'm going to the Archives. My old Master may suddenly need some help."

The Korun could have sworn he heard a muttered, "Why did I have to miss that?" from the retreating figure. But Yoda's smile told him he hadn't been the only one to catch Rancisis's words.

"What do you think about the letters for Skywalker and Tano?"

"A letter from her sister, youngling Ahsoka does not need. But young Anakin would benefit from one, I think. His fear for his mother has not left him. Nothing in the letter itself would interfere with Padawan Skywalker's training under Knight Kenobi. I hope that knowing his only family is safe will bring peace to the boy's mind."

"And what about the JMG?"

"Think on it, we must, Master Windu. Think. Darkness, I do not see in Master Siith. But Light, neither do I see. How things will unfold in the future, I do not know. Allies, will we become? Friends? Suppliers of Force artifacts to the Order, will they be? Or work with the Sith, will they choose to do? Many questions there are, but no answers have I. Perhaps a pair of Jedi on Jabiim, we should keep? The sorcerer said that any sentient can learn his magic. Wondering, I am... whether a Master or a Knight we should send there to learn."


The lovely Lady Jocasta Nu granted me access to some of the Order's archival material. Nothing classified, but there was still plenty of interesting stuff in there—if nothing else, a much more detailed account of Jedi history. So I spent the time eagerly scrolling through text files, quietly recording the visual information into the library in my collarbone while pretending merely to skim. I couldn't copy much that way, but a thirsty man drinks from every spring. I'd find time to go through it properly later.

I wasn't worried about any magical disturbances. The pseudo-living artifact was shielded, and the amount of magic I was using on my brain was negligible. I could always claim it was a technique for improving memory. Especially since, to some extent, that would even be true.

Getting into a conflict with the Jedi was definitely a bad idea. They didn't seem nearly as terrible as Alto made them out to be. The grandiose titles they'd given themselves were a bit much, of course—they clearly weren't up to keeping peace throughout the entire galaxy. Not completely, at least. But based on what I'd seen so far, calling them deranged cultists would be unfair too. And there were a lot of them. Picking a fight with a whole horde of sentients armed with glowing sticks, especially such... unconventional practitioners of magic, held very little appeal.

So I think I handled things the right way. Brought gifts, talked with them, cracked a few jokes. All in all, I showed them I was someone they could do business with... I hoped.

I handed Yoda the letters from Shmi to her son and from Romri to her sister. Both envelopes had been left unsealed to make things easier for the Jedi censors. I'd strongly advised both women to emphasize how proud they were of the youngsters, reassure them that everything was fine back home, and avoid anything likely to trigger too strong a bout of homesickness.

Deeper in the Archives, Master Unduli and the archivist were speaking quietly. Yaddle had taken Oppo Rancisis off somewhere. I let out a heavy sigh... Time to take my leave. They clearly weren't going to leave me here alone, and I felt a little guilty about taking up more of the green-skinned Jedi's time, so...

With that thought, I called Ras, told him I'd be out soon, and headed over to Luminara. I could say goodbye to Lady Nu at the same time. I'd invited her to visit our Guild library, by the way, and warned her straight away that only practicing mages were allowed into the sections containing magical literature. Still, we had plenty of material related to magic that didn't fall under those restrictions. I'd considered giving her something about Hecate, but decided not to rush that just yet.

I figured a woman who loved her sanctuary of knowledge would find the time to visit Jabiim and take a look at some truly unique material. Especially since I had no objection to people copying books from the unrestricted sections—quite the opposite, really. And once she was on our planet of endless rain, I could arrange a little accident for Lady Nu involving a ritual that went wrong and mercilessly shaved a few decades off her age. No, I had no intention of marrying her—that had only been a joke, and she'd understood it well enough to laugh. It was just... I had a soft spot for sentients who loved repositories of knowledge. Professional solidarity, let's call it that.



Original Russian story

You can find more chapters on my Patreon.

The translation of new chapters will also be published here—but with a bit of a delay.
 
I discovered this story recently, and it has been quite a treat to enjoy and binge.

Kudos to both you the translator and the writer for sharing this very enjoyable piece of fanfiction, it is memorable and full of personality for every character given the spotlight. :)

I wonder, if I burst into their Council chamber with an ignited lightsaber glowing scarlet, will they start asking me where I found it?!"
Yes, considering their competency.

Besides, they'd take away the lightsaber and deal with you like one would a baby wielding a knife, for added involuntary insult. :p
 
Just found the story and man this is fascnating. It feels just like something that could actually be possible in setting in the background while the main story happens. Thanks for translating it.
 
Chapter 27 New
I liked the opera. I liked the Supreme Chancellor as well. A warm, personable sort of man—or at least that was how he presented himself. He came across as an engaging conversationalist who knew a great deal about the galaxy, and he spoke without the slightest trace of arrogance or condescension.

We talked about all sorts of things: interesting species and peoples, their customs, their physiology—in broad strokes, of course. We also touched briefly on democracy as a form of government. I tried not to criticize it too harshly, but Dozdronogul take me! Democracy is wonderful, of course. Just like any other form of government. From communism to tyranny. Every last one of them can work beautifully—provided the sentients at the top are actually interested in the welfare of their state and its people.

I genuinely liked Sheev Palpatine. The reforms he had set in motion were grinding forward with difficulty, mostly because of resistance from certain blocs in the Senate, but I believed they would prove beneficial in the long run. I had prepared carefully for this meeting, going through both the material Alto's headquarters had sent me from Jabiim and a good deal of what was publicly available on the HoloNet.

So, once he got past the less-than-stellar first impression caused by my "good-natured" smile, I did my best to make my attitude clear.

Of course, I didn't go overboard with the groveling either. No point in making myself look like some court sycophant. But on behalf of the JMG, for as long as I remained its leader, I promised full support. At the very least, we could outfit the entire Senate Guard with some decent "gear," as they call it in the game I often waste my free time on. And it didn't matter if the guards already had technological equivalents. We could supply the cheaper versions of our adaptive-protection amulets at practically cost price.

Not on the same level as the one I'd made for the Chancellor, of course—that one used a fragment of Crystal Dragon bone as its reservoir—but genuinely high-quality amulets were well within our means. Nimbus was already being equipped with them, along with the boarding and counter-boarding teams of our small fleet.

We could have given them away for free, of course, but there were too few of us, and working at a loss while the Guild was still in its infancy... not exactly a brilliant idea. Besides, an offer like that would look far too much like a bribe—and look like I was trying to kiss their ass so hard I might as well crawl right up it.

I also gave him a couple of books by Emperor Vivec the First. And the only one, yep. The dark elf has been successfully ruling a small continent closer to the center of the shell for several thousand years now. A fairly wise pointy-ear and a good ruler, practically worshipped by his subjects. And really, what else are you supposed to give a politician? A collection of fairy tales about insane golden-eyed spellcasters?

There was just one thing... something about the Supreme Chancellor felt off. I wasn't about to brazenly scan him with Master Windu standing right there, and besides, who knew what sort of security measures the ruler of this world employed? None of my business. Even so, a faint sense that something didn't quite add up kept nagging at me the entire time I was around Palpatine. Hopefully my puzzled glances hadn't spoiled the impression I made.

As for the opera itself... Well, what can I say? If Twi'leks are magnificent dancers, then this place had gathered the aurodium voices of the galaxy. More than once, I became so absorbed in listening that I lost touch with reality for tens of minutes at a stretch. I was even a little disappointed when I realized the performance would be ending soon. Very, very impressive. Next time I'm on Coruscant, I'll make a point of coming back.

By the way, I spotted that same Alderaanian there—the one who'd pulled a face at Suti—and gave him a broad smile without the slightest embarrassment. Even gave him a little wave. Heh. The way his face twisted at that was absolutely priceless.


Sheev Palpatine loved the opera. In fact, it was one of the few places where he could truly relax and, for a little while at least, escape the burdens of his work—both public and otherwise. And today, his rare respite had been thoroughly spoiled. Ironically enough, he had no one to blame but himself.

The Supreme Chancellor's secret alter ego preferred not to think of himself as a spider or a puppeteer. He liked the idea of a conductor far better. A flick of the baton, and the musicians followed his will. Their talents were extraordinary, undeniably vital to the performance—but only he, the conductor, kept the beautiful music from dissolving into cacophony. Each performer played their own part, yet only the Sith Lord could see the whole composition, guiding it with light, effortless motions and conducting the exquisite symphony of democracy's decay.

Innocent hints that forged alliances. Words that seemed meaningless at first glance, yet shattered friendships that had endured for millennia. Speeches that made even the staunchest supporters of the Republic begin to doubt, while those already wavering cast aside their hesitation and crossed over to his side. Promises that, once fulfilled, benefited no one but him, leaving those who thought they had won the game looking like fools.

Alongside those delicate strokes of masterful finesse came slaughter, bloody clashes between corporations and minor factions, acts of genocide, slave trading, narcotics in all their varieties, contract killings, and, from time to time, more personal... outings.

And all of it hidden behind a façade of democracy and equality. The screams of rage, the groans of agony, the dying shrieks—all drowned out by the background music of the Senate, a score composed of hypocritical talk of peace and lies about love, honesty, and the common good. A "thousand years of peace" that was, in truth, filled with hundreds of conflicts—some smoldering, others raging in earnest—feeding rivers of blood into the grinding machinery that was tearing down both the state itself and the reputation of its supposed protector: the Jedi Order.

The Republic was a festering, stinking tumor on the body of the galaxy. A polity created as a panacea for all the ills of sentient life, only to become a plague in its own right. And the Jedi, having willingly surrendered the reins of the state, had spent the past millennium turning themselves into little more than the Senate's mutts.

He would have liked to take credit for it, but that would not have been true, and lying to oneself was a straight road to the grave. One could take endless pride in one's own accomplishments, but never allow that pride to obscure the reality of the situation. In a game with stakes this high, blindness was utterly unacceptable.

The Republic had become what it was thanks to a thousand years of work by those who came before him. Yes, Sidious was the one tasked with bringing the final stage of that long plan to fruition, but without the Baneite Sith who preceded him—his Master, his Master's Master, and all the way back to Darth Bane himself—the current Sith Lord would have had far fewer opportunities and far less room to maneuver.

But even that was not the whole truth. The Sith's greatest ally had been democracy itself. Rule by the people. A wonderful form of government. Pure, proper, rational... provided that those who ruled in the name of that very people remembered to think about them once in a while.

And the Jedi... the Order had simply gone soft. A thousand years of supposed peace had given them exactly what they had wanted: calm, stability, serenity. In the process, they had buried themselves in traditions and rules. Sheev had read old records of the wars that once tore through the galaxy—conflicts so bloody that the Jedi Knights of those eras sounded less like peacekeepers and more like monsters bred for war. Guardians of peace who had once carried the Light Side at the tips of their lightsabers, showing no mercy when none was called for, had become rigid traditionalists. Even during the ancient wars against the Sith, the Chancellor had thought them too constrained by their own rules. Now they were worse by far.

To be honest, Palpatine was convinced that even without the Sith, events would ultimately have followed much the same course. Without those like him to hasten the process, it would simply have taken longer to reach the same end. His only real doubt was whether the Republic could have weathered the coming crisis and survived in some altered form—or whether it would instead have broken apart into hundreds, perhaps thousands, of fragments.

The orchestra was playing the music of the Republic's twilight, but today the Chancellor had been reminded that there was more to the performance than orchestra and conductor. There was an audience as well—watching from the galleries, following every movement, weighing what they saw, and passing judgment on the performance as it unfolded.

It was no revelation to the Sith Lord that remnants of old Sith organizations still lingered across the galaxy. All manner of sects, secret orders and not-so-secret ones, societies, clans, and assorted little circles of like-minded enthusiasts.

One representative of just such a "little circle" was sitting beside him now. This red-eyed piece of rancor shit had ignored every rule of decorum, barged into his private box with all the grace of a drunken bantha, and ruined the Chancellor's rare night off with a mocking smile on his face. Never mind that Palpatine himself had wanted this meeting with... Siith.

At first, Palpatine had doubted it. Surely the Jedi could not be such complete imbeciles that they would look at a sentient practically screaming his connection to the Sith and decide he was something else entirely.

As it turned out... they could.

They really were that stupid.

While concealing himself in the Force, Sidious found it difficult to tell exactly what he was dealing with. But everything—absolutely everything—pointed to the same conclusion. No, screamed it.

They were introducing him to a Dark Side Force-user.

And the most astonishing part was that it was the Jedi doing the introducing. Not just any Jedi, either, but one of the Order's own Masters—Mace Windu himself.

This was no opera. The Sith Lord felt as though he had been dragged into some absurd stage comedy—a ridiculous play directed by an idiot.

"The name is merely similar, Supreme Chancellor. The Council is confident that Master Siith has no connection to the Sith."

And all the while, the sorcerer in question stood there wearing that vile smile of his. Red eyes, black irises and pupils, watching Palpatine with an odd mixture of mocking good humor and some puzzling doubt, while that jeering grin seemed to say, Just look at them, colleague. What a pack of idiots.

He had even apologized for the smile.

"Can't help it, Chancellor. It just sort of happens."

Deep down, beneath Sheev's carefully cultivated curiosity and warmth, two emotions were fighting for dominance: fury and admiration.

The sheer audacity of it. No—that wasn't enough.

THE ABSOLUTE FUCKING AUDACITY.

Mockery of the highest order. His fellow servant of the Dark Side was practically laughing in the Jedi's faces, all while casting the Baneite*—playing the part of the benevolent democrat—a look of mild surprise.

And then this "Master Siith" handed him his little "gifts." As the sorcerer described the capabilities of the "adaptive-protection amulet," the Chancellor had to make a tremendous effort to stay in character. A treasure. An artifact of power. An extraordinarily potent tool. Or an exquisitely crafted trap. According to the sorcerer, the rather substantial amulet—some ten centimeters across, with a blood-red stone set at its center—was the equivalent of a battleship's armor and shields combined. For a short while, admittedly...

According to Siith, the amulet could be "recharged" by Jedi, and Master Windu confirmed it, adding that the charging process itself might take several days. The sorcerer gave a mournful sigh at that, and when the dark-skinned man gave him a questioning look, offered the rather cryptic explanation, "Still, that's fast. I'm jealous."

But it was the two books that made the deepest impression of all—and finally hardened the Sith Lord's suspicions about the sorcerer's true nature into certainty. Even now, with the voices of his favorite opera singers washing past him almost unheard, Sidious found his thoughts returning to them again and again.

The titles alone made him want to growl and laugh at the same time: The Eternal Empire: The First Millennium of Rule Is the Hardest and The Means of Attaining Power as the Means of Achieving One's Goal. The author's name—there was only one—meant nothing to the Sith, but those titles... How did this Siith know? An acquaintance of his Master's? But Plagueis had never once mentioned anyone like that.

And then there were the conversations. "I'm very glad to meet you, Supreme Chancellor! At last the Republic has a leader who actually thinks about the outlying systems. Know that Jabiim stands with you. So does the Guild. So do I, and so does our Commander-in-Chief, Stratus." Those words had eased some of Palpatine's anger and confusion. What followed, however, was another matter entirely.

The suspiciously well-informed Force-user was making it perfectly clear that he was no enemy of the Sith Lord, and the words, "If you ever need the Guild's help, don't hesitate. For you, we'll charge the absolute minimum," suggested that this unknown sect was open to cooperation. But... that only infuriated Palpatine. The absolute minimum? The sheer insolence of it. Even allowing for Jedi Master Windu's presence during the conversation, it was an astonishing lack of deference. Not we will support you with everything we have, but a straightforward business arrangement.

Now the Supreme Chancellor, pretending to be absorbed in the performance on the opera stage, was trying to work out who this sorcerer really was—and why he behaved with such... yes. Such incredible AUDACITY. Who stood behind Siith? Who? Palpatine was almost certain the sorcerer was merely a front, just as Dooku was for him. So who was the mysterious sentient conducting the sorcerer from behind the scenes?

The most improbable possibilities flashed through the Sith Lord's mind. Orn Free Taa, the senator from Ryloth? The red-eyed sorcerer had visited his world not long ago. Jabba Desilijic Tiure? The sorcerer had recently been on Tatooine, where that Hutt's kajidic held sway, and had bought the Chosen One's mother out of slavery. Gardulla Besadii the Elder? Another Hutt, one who shared power on Tatooine? The idea of those slugs as Force-sensitives would have been laughable if Palpatine hadn't known that, throughout history, there had been Hutts among both the Jedi and the Sith. And not weak ones, either.

Who else? Bail Prestor Organa of Alderaan, whom the red-eyed sorcerer had briefly met—an encounter that left Organa spitting about "the Jabiimite slaveholder they let onto Coruscant"? He seemed the least likely possibility of all... Although... no. Mon Mothma of Chandrila was even less likely! But that last thought was already bordering on outright absurdity.

What power stood behind Siith? How much stronger was his Guild than they claimed? How much did they know? What were they planning? And what, exactly, was Palpatine supposed to do about it? Why did they need Anakin Skywalker's mother? On the one hand, it was clear enough that these "Jabiimite mages" supported his plans. On the other, they had no intention whatsoever of bending the knee.

And that, too, had been stated almost outright. "I kneel only before the Goddess," the sorcerer had declared when Palpatine had touched in passing on the rules governing suzerain-vassal relations on one of the Outer Rim worlds. The Jabiim Mages' Guild—or JMG, as "Master Siith" called it—had no intention of becoming his subjects. At least, not on conventional terms.

So there he was, left to wonder. Was the sorcerer waiting for him to gain greater power, or did he want a partnership of equals?... Grinding him into dust was certainly an option. But was it really? That amulet. If Siith was willing to give away an artifact that valuable, what did he keep for himself? And personal protection was hardly the only way to safeguard oneself. Information bombs waiting to go off? Trusted agents? How much did he actually know about Palpatine's affairs? If he died, would another "sorcerer" appear—one far less favorably disposed toward the Chancellor? And whoever stood behind all this had played it beautifully. They had drawn attention to Siith, maneuvered him into a meeting with Palpatine... all without pressing the issue, begging for an audience, or appearing to seek one at all.

Their puppet, Stratus, had casually let slip a few remarks about how things on Jabiim were no longer quite so dire. Then came reports of some Jabiimite sorcerer helping the Jedi, killing Morgukai, capturing a cruiser with a crew of more than three hundred with a party of just four, establishing contact with the Republic's guardians... and calmly walking out of the Jedi Temple practically as a "friend of the Order." And all of this not over decades, but within the span of a single year!

And meanwhile, the red-eyed asshole in Sith robes was practically laughing at everyone around him without even pretending otherwise. "The difference between humans and nonhumans? An autopsy will tell." And Master Windu answered that with a strained smile and, "Master, save your sense of humor for Master Rancisis." Rancors up everyone's asses, was this some kind of joke? These were the Jedi—the self-proclaimed guardians of peace, champions of restraint, morality, all that sanctimonious crap—and one of their Masters was smiling while a sorcerer joked about cutting sentients open. Jedi?!! Fucking Jedi! The man was all but announcing that he intended to dissect people, and your response was to indulge his sense of humor? What in the ever-loving hell was wrong with you people?

And now the bastard was baring his teeth at Bail Organa too. Though... Organa irritated Sidious as well, so by all means, let the red-eyed freak wave at him. Just look at the Alderaanian's jaw working. Petty, perhaps, but satisfying. Still, Palpatine doubted the senator had anything to do with this. If Organa and Siith were on the same side, surely the sorcerer wouldn't be stupid enough to draw attention to him so openly.

Would he?


Author's Note:

Baneite* — a follower of Darth Bane's teachings; that is, a Sith belonging to the Rule of Two lineage: one Master and one apprentice.



Original Russian story

You can find more chapters on my Patreon.

The translation of new chapters will also be published here—but with a bit of a delay.
 
I genuinely enjoyed this it's probably my favorite star wars story can't say for certain because there's alot of them out there thanks for translation.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, "He knows, I know, he knows, I know." Harm set, harm get. Even honest help can be a poisoned fruit.

Did no one tell Bail they aren't slaves anymore?
 
This chapter had me laughing and slapping my leg! Aah, Thanks for the much-needed humor. God, Papapalps, you are a riot when you meet someone outside your calculations.
 
Palpy's indignation and admiration for the sheer balls it must've taken this 'sith' to just show up, make friends with the Jedi Order, then act all buddy-buddy with him was the best thing I've ever read!

My sides! 🤣
 
Bro's practically going bug-eyed lmao, amazing!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top