1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Noble Virtue of a Sun's Return [Type-Moon/Touhou/???] (DEAD)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Alexander, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

I originally posted this quest on SB and then SV. Please don't post until I finish to upload all already existing posts.
    -----

Floating in the nothingness he rests.

The Throne of Heroes. The final resting place for the souls of warriors and heroes of legend. Heroic Spirits: beings that accomplished great achievements such as saving the world and after their death became the object of worship and lore. As a result they are placed outside the cycle of soul transmigration and ascend to an existence closer to the Gods in order to become a power that protects humanity in times of need. A phenomenon. A natural occurrence brought forth by the wishes of mankind. Time has no meaning in this place outside of reality: an instant lasts forever and an eternity could be over in an instant. There are no changes, only perfection.

He supposes this is what embracing Brahman must be like. He isn't disappointed, for he knows: at the moment of his death he joined the Throne, yes, but he also joined his Venerable Father back in Heaven. Two different and conflicting outcomes, yet they happened at the same time.

He doesn't know how it is possible, only that it IS. Furthermore he isn't interested in the answer: all obeys the will of Krishna and Dharma, so all that happens is supposed to happen. What matters for him is to perform his duty as a protector: this is his role, thus he will perform it to the best of his abilities.

Besides answering the calls of those who pray for him and sending his wisdom and protection there is another event which is known to all the inhabitants of the Throne of Heroes.

The Holy Grail War: a great ritual made by modern magi, it summons Heroic Spirits in tangible bodies to do battle. The reward for the last survivor and thus victor is a single wish of unlimited potential. Many eagerly await their chance to be summoned, to fix something which they had not been able to in life or to simply fight against worthy foes.

He isn't sure what to feel about it. His life was filled with misfortune and he died a tragic fate, yet he regrets nothing. How could he? He had a loving family, many great and loyal friends and until his death he managed to never break his sworn word. Surely a man couldn't ask for more? But if he would be forced to choose one...he would ask for a rematch with his little brother. A fair one this time, where they both could do their best without the heavy weight of responsibility on their shoulders. He smiles. Yes, that would be nice.

His musings are interrupted when he feels another call: power reaches out through the ether, crossing the impossible distances of the immaterial plane to its destination, manifesting as a bright light in the nothingness before him. He prepares himself to answer, when something makes him stop. There is something strange with this call, it has more depth and power behind it than usual. A summoning? Furthermore, this power is so familiar...

The brightness increases.

'Father?' He thinks, but soon realize that, although it's similar to his Venerable Father's power, it's also fundamentally different. Intrigued he reaches out to touch the presence: like it was only waiting for him the light grows, enveloping him in a kind and warm brilliance.

"Please..."

Who is speaking? It sounds female, regal and proud, yet her voice is tinged with love and anxiety.

"I beg of you, please protect them and save their home."

Such tenderness...like the touch of a mother.

"I can't do it. He is preventing me for interfering. If His plans come to fruition all will be lost."

The brightness increases, hot energy roaring like a primordial flame flowing into him.

"I don't want to involve others, but this is the only alternative. You are the only one who I can ask, the only one with a chance of succeeding."

Even if the specifics escape him, the gist of the request is clear. He doesn't sense a single trace of lies in the other presence's words. Thus is decision can be only one.

"Please, you are their only hope. They need a Hero."

Someone needs his help. How could he refuse?

"Worry not." He speaks for the first time, forcing his words out of the whirlpool of raging power with all the strength of his presence. "I heard your plea and found no lies in it. You speak the truth. Therefore it's my sworn duty to answer. You, who wish for life, know that I will do all it's in my power to grant your desire. This, I swear."

There is a pause, then the voice speaks again, relief evident in her tone.

"Thank you...

...Karna..."

The world explodes.

§ § §​

He slowly opens his eyes, savoring for a moment the feelings only those with a solid body could enjoy, like the coolness of the air on his skin, the softness of the earth below him and the smell of healthy grass.

"Uhm...it is good to be back." He whispers with a tone full of fondness. He is resting supine on a bed of grass, his back leaning on the truck of a tree as if sleeping.

With a swift and cat-like movement he stands up, piercing blue eyes inspecting his surroundings. "No summoning circle...no summoner...This is indeed a strange summoning. I don't even know who and what I am supposed to protect." He muses with a faint smile. "I suppose for now I will try to find where I am." He decides, not one to be fazed by such minor inconveniences.

"What is certain is..." He turns around and admires the spectacle before him. "This is indeed a beautiful place."

He is...

[X] In a field full of tall sunflowers.
    [] In a very dark forest. Many presences can be felt, not all of them friendly.
    [] In a forest with a very high concentration of magic in the air
    [] In a forest of very tall bamboos. One could easily get lost in there.
    [] In a field full of lilies-of-the-valley.

Also, it's...

[X] Daytime.
    [] Nighttime.

2. Alexander

Character Sheet

[​IMG]
    Servant: Heroic Spirit Karna
    True Name: Karna
    Alias: Vasusena, Radheya, Son of the Sun's God, Saint of Generosity
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Master: Masterless
    Class: True Heroic Spirit
    Height: 178 cm
    Weight: 65 kg
    Hair color: White
    Eye color: Blue

Parameters:

Strength: A
    Agility: A+
    Endurance: B
    Mana: A
    Luck: D~C
    Noble Phantasm: EX

Personal Skills

Magic Resistance: C (Cancel spells of C rank or below, further magic damage is reduced. As a demigod Karna should have a higher rank, but because of the curses he suffered in life the rank is reduced.

However, when receiving the effect of the golden armor Noble Phantasm, it will not be limited to this. The curses took effect only when he didn't have his armor, meaning there is a reason to believe the golden armor could have opposed them.)

"He is immune to magic? That's cheating, ze!"
    "No he is not. It only means you need strong magic to harm him."

Riding: A (All vehicles and beasts excepting those of Divine Beast-rank can be freely operated. His gallant figure driving a war chariot and running across the battlefield is greatly depicted in the Mahabharata.

But wait, didn't war chariots require two persons, one to drive and one to fight? Suspicious....)

"Is it good for something in this place?"
    "Uhm, I wonder..."

Uncrowned Arms Mastership: X (Arms competency that was not recognized by others for various reasons. To the opponents, the rank of his sword, spear, bow, Riding, Divinity and Martial Arts Prowess appears to be one degree lower than what it actually is. If his true name is revealed, this effect will be terminated.

However, this not being a Holy Grail War, even if his true name is revealed people will still be inclined to underestimated him under the suggestion of "I have a feeling this will be easy". Only to be later shocked to discover their feeling was completely false. Only those who know well his history or with exceptional intuition will be immune.)

"Is the ability to make your foes underestimate you so useful? Isn't it better when they know you are strong?"
    "Obviously something like that will not work on me."

Discernment of the Poor: A (Insight to see through the opponent's character and attribute. He will not be deceived by excuses and deceptions from words. It expresses the power to grasp the true nature of the opponent possessed by Karna, who was blessed with the opportunity to inquire about the life and value of the weak due to being someone without a single relative.

Truly, he was a immensely prudent and superhuman hero. He had the virtue to accept differing ideologies, even if they were his enemies', and their accompanying ways of life and respect them as "ways to live." But Karna has difficulty conveying his true nature. His speech and conduct pricks at those true natures. Words and actions meant to deceive oneself, behavior meant to gloss over, conviction: Karna sees through all of those things and frankly states "the true nature that his opponent wants to hide". As a result, he comes to be hated by the majority of his opponents and is forced to fight them.

Anyone would hate having their faults being spoken of.

It goes without saying, but Karna's words and conduct do not contain any disgust at those faults. For Karna who affirms the position of every human, both faith that is not compatible with him and beauty and ugliness that he cannot understand are things to be held in esteem.)

"It reminds me of someone..."
    "Me too. Let's hope those two never meet."

Divinity: A (As the son of the Sun Deity Surya and having united with Surya after death, Karna possesses one of the highest Divine Spirit aptitudes. This Divine Spirit aptitude exhibits high defensive power in regards to sun deity-lineage's Heroic Spirits of Divinity B or lower.

One who isn't simply related to the Sun but possesses its own power and attributes. Truly, people see him as "the Sun God given human form".)

"Big deal: we have true Gods and Goddesses here."
    "Uhm, uhm, I have a feeling I shouldn't dismiss it. Is my intuition telling me something?"

Prana Burst (Flames): A (It is the increase in performance caused by infusing one's weapons and body with magical energy and instantly expelling it. Simply put, recreating the effect of a jet burst by expending large amounts of prana. A normal weapon that is not on the level of a divine mystery can be destroyed in one blow. Also raises several times defense.

In Karna's case, blazing flames become prana to dwell in the weapon used and his body. This Skill is usually always active and all the weapons that Karna grasps and unharmed blows receive this effect.

Truly, the kind but furious flames of his Sun lineage dwell inside Karna's body.)

"He is someone who would get along with Mokou."
    "Hush you! Do you want another arson?"

Astras: A++ (The supreme and most powerful form of Archery possessed by Hindu warriors of ancient epics that requires incredible will and focus. Each Astra is presided by a specific deity. To summon or use an Astra knowledge of the specific incantation is required: the deity invoked would then enter the weapon and endow it with its divine essence.

A+ Rank is when the practitioner receives the knowledge to use the most powerful Astra available to mortals, the Brahmastra. The A++ Rank is earned when the user obtains an even more powerful Astra. In the entirety of the Mahabharata, only Arjuna and Karna reached this level: the first with the Brahmashira, the second with the Brahmastra Kundala.)

"So what, he uses Divine Power? Like you?"
    "I...think yes. India sure seems like a strange place."

Archery: EX (The Art of the Bow. More generally, it is the expertise in the use of ranged and projectile attacks and their applications in the field of warfare.

Karna is considered the greatest Archer of his era, surpassing even Arjuna: he was taught by Parashurama, an Avatar of Vishnu, and his deeds were praised both by Bhishma and Krishna. Even today millions of Hindus and Indians regard him as a figure of adulation.

At EX Rank this ability grants the user the Projectile (All), *Clairvoyance, *Eye of the Mind (True) and Protection from Arrows skills, each at A Rank.)

*Karna was granted many opportunities and gifts so that he could see the world as it was. As the son of the Sun God, a hero born and raised without a single relative to his name, so too has he gained insight into the world. In battle, the myriad possible outcomes unfold before Karna. He sees what can happen, will happen, and what is meant to happen. He can predict even a great Noble Phantasm or Spell Card. However, powers born of a great divine spirit or fate magicks can fool even Karna's divine insight. They do not, however, fool his mortal senses. Even against an unfavorable opponent Karna's sight reaches to the core of them.

"Eeh? What do all those fancy words mean?"
    "I am not sure myself, but I think they mean he is good at what he does."

Mantras: ???? (????)

Uh? Why I can't read this skill? Not only that, there seems to be more which aren't appearing...

Noble Phantasms: Kavacha and Kundala: O Sun, Become Armor
    A+
    Type: Barrier

The golden armor and earrings given to Karna by his mother, Kunti. She felt fear in becoming an unmarried mother and prayed to Surya to protect her son, granting him a powerful defensive-type Noble Phantasm integrated with his body that emits the radiance of the sun itself. Due to being light itself taken shape, it is difficult for even the gods to destroy. It is as thick as it looks, an invincible armor that protects against all harm, physical or conceptual. As long as it is active, all damage inflicted on Karna will be reduced to one tenth of its original value.

Furthermore, the effects of Prana Burst (Flames) can be applied to further reduce the damage by forming a barrier of very dense flames.

Strangely the design appear slightly different from its old look before Indra took it away, what with the wings on the back. Just what did the Gods do to it?

The White Stallion: Carrier of the Sun
    Type:
    Anti-unit
    Activation Mantra: "Oh Aruna! Please grant me the shinning steed's reins, excellent and immortal in the golden glory of the Sun, father to us all. The divine horse of glory, bringing forth the light wheel that symbolizes the Lord!"

A sub-mode of Kavacha and Kundala: when Karna united with Surya after death, and Indra gave back the golden armor as reward for Karna's virtue, he received its own power and attributes. This include the right to travel in the sky like a rightful Sun God. Instead of a chariot this translates into the golden armor receiving the wings of the "White Stallion" which carry the chariot of the Sun God, giving Karna the ability to fly.

This mode receives the bonus of the Riding skill.

"So it's valuable? Do you think he will mind if I borrow it?"
    "Yes I think he will. I also think this guy is about the only one person you will never be able to rob."

Vijaya (????)
    ????: ????

Vasavi Shakti (????)
    ????: ????

Magatama (????)

A necklace with a golden medallion and a curved, comma-shaped bead of jade. It holds inside the power of a sun deity. Its true functions are unknown, but it seems to boost Karna's Luck by one rank.

More are yet to come...stay with us if you want to find out!

Touhou Characters met:
    -Yuuka Kazami, the "Flower Master of the Four Seasons"
    -Elly, the "Porter of a Mansion"

Routes:

-Yuuka Kazami. Status: Open.

Spell Cards:

Spell Card "Astra Sign" [Suryastra]
    Threat Level: ★
    Description: A Mandala of bullets forms around the user. Afterwards, each turns into a pulsating miniature sun, switching changing from small balls to the size of a big human. They are the equivalent of light black holes, but only in the sense that they make eyesight useless. They do not interact with physical bodies or other Danmaku bullets and instead create blind spots in the designs of any bullet patterns. This makes the attacks much harder, though not impossible, to predict. Anyone that looks into the orbs of light for too long will be blinded with the exception of Karna and other deities and beings of fire, light and similar nature. Even then, it is impossible to see anything inside the orbs. Though not very powerful on its own, it is a very powerful technique when combined with others.

Spell Card: "Astra Sign: [Indrastra]"
    Threat Level: ★★
    Description: A Spell Card invoking the power of Indra, God of Rain and Thunderstorms, Lord of Heaven, Leader of the Devas. The Danmaku is made to resemble rain. Dodging it's easy because the bullets are fast but their paths are straightforward, but when they hit a surface they burst and release a corona of smaller Danmaku, so they can still catch you by surprise.

Spell Card: "Indastra Tūfān: [March of the Storm]"
    Threat Level: ★★★
    Description: a variant of Indastra, where Karna flies around while shooting energy arrows at the falling bullets, diverting their paths towards the target. It symbolizes the characteristic wind of strong storms, that made the rain's pattern erratic.

Spell Card "Astra Sign": [Manavastra]
    Threat Level: ★★
    Description: A specialized Spell Card invoking the spirit of Manu, First Human and Progenitor of Mankind, that fires a beam of light from the user's used medium. Although not incredibly powerful or wide, it can throw opponents hundreds of meters backwards with a hit and has the natural ability to penetrate defensive abilities and techniques. Its true ability is to inspire human traits even in the most inhuman and evil creature. Thus, a monster that is hit by the Manavastra may have more problems then the mere attack.

Spell Card "Astra Sign" [Devastra]
    Threat Level: ★★★
    Description: A Spell Card invoking the collective spirit of the Devas, the principal Gods of Hinduism. It launches a continuous barrage of homing danmaku: upon release they are slow, before tracking the target' location. Then they accelerate toward it, regardless if the target is still here or not, at such speeds that the bullet would elongate into a missile shape while leaving behind short lived, smoke looking trails of energy dust. The bullets explode on contact like a real missile. The Devastra was considered the mythical equivalent of modern military missiles.

Spell Card: "Parvatastra: [Herald of the Himalayas]
    Threat Level: ★★★★★
    Description: A Spell Card invoking the collective spirit of the Parvatas, a mountain tribe, Parvatastra creates a mountain out of danmaku bullets. When invoked, a large number of bullets will appear in the shape of the outline of a mountain, basically a piramid, around the target, before speeding inwards towards a central point. Upon reaching this point they stop moving and stay in place, forming a small mountain-shaped cluster of bullets. More bullets will then spawn around the central point in a slightly larger outline, before rushing in towards the center and stopping once they encounter the danmaku bullets that were left by the previous layer. This process continuously repeats, with each layer of bullets being faster moving, denser, and starting slightly further out from the forming mountain than the previous layer, and later on two or more layers spawning at once, until a literal mountain has been formed from danmaku bullets. This then explodes outwards in a shower of slow-moving but dense and random danmaku. Whilst early on this spell card is relatively simply to dodge, those who are foolish enough to remain within its area of effect or stray close to the completed mountain will find themselves rapidly overwhelmed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  3. Alexander

Stage 1: Arrival, Sunflowers, Event Interrupt: Faeries, Flower Master, A Champion's Spirit, Explaining Gensokyo, Spell Cards system
    Interlude: Scarlet Weather
    Stage 2: Youkai Mountain, Disciplining Unruly Fellows, Lady of Misfortune, Dance of Sun and Rain, Strength of the Storm, Strange Encounters

4. Alexander

Gensokyo's Map

Danmaku Rules

It is a mix of classical Touhou games and fighting games like Hisoutensoku. With fights on the ground and in the air (moot most of the time because almost all of Gensokyo's residents know how to fly. The ones who don't are mainly the normal people from the Human's village. Thanks to all the mana in the air using spells is super easy, but not everyone has talent for flying.)

So physical attacks are allowed, but not many people use them for the same reason a man with a sword doesn't duel with a man with a gun: ranged attacks (more so with the quantity a Touhou is famous for) are more easy and give more advantages. Of course there are exceptions: Hong Meiling, Konpaku Youmu and Suika Ibuki for example, because they possess mad martial art skills or strength beyond belief. Technically a strong physical attack can be a Spell Card too, the system care only for the power behind it: if it is strong enough, more than your average bullets, it can be a Spell Card.

The Spell Card system encompasses all Gensokyo and stop all kind of physical damage, to the participants and the environment, but not the pain. The winner is decided when the opponent is knock out from the pain. Or he surrender. The players can also agree on specific conditions before the battle, such as the number of Spell Cards allowed and how the winner is decided.

But here's the catch: a Spell Card duel need to be declared as such and approved from both participants for the rules to be active. This is because it was developed to resolve conflicts between humans and youkai.

Meaning? Reimu let the Youkai free to fight and kill each other in whatever fashion they want, but if a human challenge a youkai at a spell card the youkai has to accept or desist completely (or he can simply cheat, but then Reimu will be after his sorry ass).

Most of the time the rules prevent what is already recognized as a Spell card type of attack from damaging the environment, but as I already said both participants need to be willing to engage to a formal duel for the protection to be in effect.

Physical Prowess

With A and B rank Stats Karna is ranked pretty high, not the best but among the elite. And this is talking about physical prowess, special skills aren't included.

To make an example: Karna has a higher Strength rank compared to Yuuka, not much but noticeable. Endurance and Luck are pretty much equal. Yuuka has the edge when it comes to Mana.

But Speed? Sadly Yuuka's speed isn't the best, and her danmaku dodging abilities rely on careful planning ahead. Consider her a C rank. While Karna is A+.

Now for fighting abilities like Martial Arts...Yuuka has a lot of experience (centuries), but Karna was taught ancient Indian Martial Arts and has military training.

Another example: depending on what abilities could be used and what not, in a hand-to-hand fight against Suika Karna can hold his own. She is stronger, but Karna has martial arts and Speed. It depends on the nature of the duel.

Like a classical Touhou player can complete all stages at every difficulty if he knows the best way of playing, Karna can win against anyone if he plays it right.

Remember: I am not saying he is overpowered, only that he always has a chance, however small it could be. Fairness and all that.

5. Alexander

[X] In a field full of tall sunflowers.
    [X] Daytime.

----

What meets his eyes is a vast field of odd yellow flowers - sunflowers, whispers a voice in his head - surrounding him from every angle for an immeasurable distance, the tree he was resting on the only oddity in the otherwise pristine landscape. The sunflowers are each taller than him, growing on grass and earth filled with smaller, miscellaneous flowers of all shape and forms. Their inflorescences surrounded by rich yellow petals are all turned up towards the shinning sun in the sky, the position indicating it is early morning. All the flowers except the ones surrounding him, who instead have their sun-shaped heads turned toward Karna, their petals almost glowing in the morning light.

Karna finds himself fascinated by those new plants he never saw before. Smiling he reaches out with one hand and gently strokes a sunflower's petals, careful to not damage them. "What interesting creatures you are, shaped in the form my Venerable Father takes in the Sky for all Earth to see." New information flows inside his brain and he smiles. "I see, I see. Like all the creatures of Earth you receive and flourish under my Father's gifts, so in gratitude you always gaze at his moving form in the sky in celebration. How wonderful. I don't think I will be ashamed to call you my comrades." He then notices how the flower's heads around him are pointed in his direction. "What's this? You can sense the connection I have with Father? I am honored but please stop, for He is much more deserving of your prayers than me."

Silence greets him, the sunflowers not moving even one millimeter. "Of course I can't force you. Do as you please." He speaks again with a self-mocking smile, like he was really expecting the flowers to answer him. Deciding it was enough delaying he steps back in the shadow of the tree to reflect. 'That voice telling me about new things sounds like the informative function of the Grail. Does it means I am part of a Holy Grail War?' He delves deep inside himself, carefully examining his new vessel.

The results...are unexpected. "I am complete?" He blinks in shock. Indeed the instinctive knowledge of the type of vessel a hero inhabits, like Saber or Archer, is absent. Instead he could recall all of his previous life's knowledge and abilities without handicaps of any sort. Deciding for a test he holds out both hands and calls the names of his two most trusted weapons. "Vasavi Shakti. Vijaya."

In a flash of golden light a spear and a bow appear in each hand. The spear is taller than him, two and a half meters, wholly forged from a pure gold-like metal with big black edges; the bow is similar in design, not tall like him but close enough. Various Sanskrit inscriptions adorn the entire length of the two Divine Weapons, for they cannot be anything else, each a hymn celebrating the grandeur of a specific deity.

'So I was fully reincarnated, as impossible as it sounds.' He thinks as he dismisses his weapons back to Astral State. 'A great boon for sure, but I may have underestimated the strength of my summoner and the gravity of the situation if my full strength is required.' He frowns. 'Furthermore, not only myself but this whole world is...strange.'

Heroic Spirits are a natural phenomenon called forth by humans. And yet their presence in the material world is viewed as unnatural by Gaia, the Spirit of the Planet, for they are already dead and thus don't belong to the plane of the livings. In response to their presence the Grand Reality Marble will try to crush their existence. A contract with a living human would ease the burden, but not cancel it completely.

And yet not even once since his awakening he felt Gaia's rejection. Not even now that he is actively searching for it. He tries to briefly astralize and then materialize again, meeting success on both fronts. 'I am a Ghost Liner, no doubts about it. This body is not made of flesh and blood. Yet Gaia doesn't seem to recognize me as such? Most curious.' Not only that but the whole place is saturated with natural mana: as an ethereal entity he is very sensitive to magical energy and so he can feel it with ease. Such a concentration could, however, only be found in the Age of Gods. Even now he can feel the mana entering his every pore and refilling his internal reserves beyond what even the most talented modern magus could, but no link with a contractor.

"Uhm..." He strokes his chin. 'Maybe my summoner can't accompany me for various reasons and so made me capable of self-sustenance. This eases my task greatly, but it doesn't explain why there is so much Mana. In what time period was I summoned?'

He turns back to the well of knowledge inside his mind, hoping for an answer. Yet a clear one is denied to him once again: there are general information about the changes in the world up to roughly three thousand years since his death, so going with how the records end his temporal location should be in modern times. Except the mana in the world has greatly declined, to the point the concentration he feels should be impossible. 'Mystery upon mystery. At least the spatial location is clear.'

Japan, Land of the Rising Sun.

"I think this is all I can gather for now. I should...mh?" His musings are interrupted when he notices for the first time a foreign element on his body. Hanging from his neck there's a necklace: at one extremity there is a golden disk while on the other a strange shaped bead of jade.

[​IMG]

A Magatama, supplies the well of knowledge, a ceremonial and religious relic of the East. He can discern some kind of magic on the jewel, the same power which summoned him at the beginning, but not its exact function. 'A gift from my summoner? Maybe its role is to guide me when the time come. Regardless I can feel it's important.'

Dismissing the possible implications for now he looks beyond the golden field and gazes at the distant scenery: in the north there is a hill covered with purple colored trees and a paved road at his bottom; both the west and east has rich and lush forests, a tall mountain towering on the western one; while in the south, where the two forests meet each other, he could see a small passage of open plain.

"Uhm...Where should I go?"

[] Walk away from the field.
    -[] Where?

[X] Explore more the sunflowers field.
    [] Write in.

6. Alexander

"Uhm..." Karna looks around again. 'Exploring the land is all well and good, but I shouldn't be so hasty to depart: there may be a reason I was summoned here of all places.'

There is also the fact his current vantage point isn't the best: with how tall the sunflowers are it's possible there are buildings nearby he can't see at the moment and, more importantly, people outside of his range of perception. His ability to sense magic is good but he hasn't the finesse of a proper spellcaster.

'I've decided.' He nods. 'I need to be sure there's really nothing he-'

[Event Interrupt!]

"!"

Years of training and fighting experience allow him to react accordingly, moving his head just so for the glowing sphere of energy to miss his head. Cheerfulness forgotten his face falls again into his customary cold and unforgiving expression as he slowly turns around to confront the attacker. A slight twitch of his face is the only visual evidence of his surprise. He expected armed soldiers, spellcasters or monsters.

What he didn't expect is for his assailant to be a cluster of beings that look like little ten-year-old girls wearing colorful dresses with insect-like wings on their back.

"What manner of creatures are you? Some kind of Rakshasa?" They are probably native beings of Japan, but with their appearance alone he can't tell much. "And why did you attack me?"

In response the beings chuckle malevolently before starting to shoot spells again.

Karna simply sidesteps through the bullet-filled barrage, never allowing even one projectile to graze him. They are all weak and would shatter on his Magic Resistance, but he doesn't want to answer to the hostilities. After all the creatures could have a good reason for attacking him. Maybe they are the field's residents and view him as an intruder. So he will try to parley first.

That's it, until one wayward bullet misses him and instead darts toward a sunflower. The instant before it hits...

FIZZLE!

The bullet shatters, the magic weaved into its creation unraveled by the hand imposed between it and the frail flower. The fairies stop their attack, confused by how their bullet was cancelled and how the strange man was there before them and then suddenly was in another place.

Heedless of their confusion Karna raises his head and stares at them, eyes ablaze with a raging but cold fury. The fairies shiver at the sight. "I don't care what happen to me, but striking at my comrades is an unforgivable sin." As his aura expands, covering the entire field with killing intent so potent some of them drops dead from fear, the fairies realize for the first time they may have bitten more that they can chew.

"Prepare yourself." Karna finishes, preparing to bring retribution..

[] Attack! Use:
    -[] Your bow.
    -[] Your spear.
    -[] You should have a sword somewhere in your arsenal...
    -[] Mantra!
    -[] Astra! Too overkill.
    -[] Just your fists will be enough.

[X] Forgive them. Made sure they learned their lesson.
    [] Write in.

Regardless of your previous decision, how will you move?
    [] Stay on the ground.
    [] Combination of Spirit and Real form to surprise them.

[X] It's time to take your rightful place in the SKY.
    [] Write in.

7. Alexander

He wants to thoroughly punish those creatures for daring to put in danger the sunflowers, faithful followers of his Venerable Father. He really does.

But, he suddenly asks himself, what is the correct punishment? Killing them, while the lives of the plants were saved thanks to his timely intervention, would be wrong. It would be Adharma. To demand them to pay with their lives when a corresponding crime was not performed, even if they had the intention...

He mentally shakes his head: it appears resting inside the Throne of Heroes made him soft. He resolves to extensively train and meditate in the future in order to atone and regain the right mindset. But before that, he will make sure those beings learn their lesson and repent. And to do so, he needs to impress them.

It is time for Karna, humble messenger of his Father's will, to take his rightful place in the Sky.

He idly notes how the fairies who fell to the ground stand up again even if shaking madly, meaning they must have the power of regeneration, before bringing his closed left fist in front of his face and chanting.

"Oh Aruna! Please grant me the shinning steed's reins, excellent and immortal in the golden glory of the Sun, father to us all. The divine horse of glory, bringing forth the light wheel that symbolizes the Lord!"

As the ancient words of power take effect a veil of fire encases him and he jumps in the air, startling the fairies. The wings on his left back open before the flames converge on the right side and explode, revealing eight magnificent wings of fire arranged in the form of a stylized sun.

(OOC: click here for the video)

Many would mistake them for the wings of a phoenix, an eagle or a kite. They couldn't be more wrong.

It is the "White Winged Stallion".

Since ancient times the "Stallion" kept a close relationship with the sun god. The sun god that roamed from east to west atop a chariot--- this was a common description passed down numerous civilizations. The Orient, India, Scandinavia, China, and Babylon were no exceptions. Apollo of Greece was also like this. Similar to him was the Hindu god of light Surya, Karna's father, often depicted riding a chariot harnessed by seven horses or one horse with seven heads. White is the color of purity and light and, because only creatures with wings like birds can roam free in the sky, it is only natural every animal associated with a deity dwelling in the sky ends being depicted with wings or referred to possess them.

Thus the figure of the "White Winged Stallion" was born, the Greek Pegasus being the most famous of them.
    The fairies look up at the spectacle and cry in fright.

"Listen!" He intones with all the authority he once used to command troops into battle. "I declare those flowers to be faithful followers of the Sun God. By striking at them you committed a grave offense."

He pauses, feeling a new presence approaching from behind. One much more powerful that even all the creatures put together. But since he doesn't detect malevolent intent he will let it be until he is done.

"In the end no harm was done, so I will be lenient: swear to never again attempt to harm them and to respect the Sun and all its kin. Do so and I will let you go."

Many faeries cringe, but one scowls in defiance. She holds up her hand and create an energy bullet-

FWOOOSH!

Only for it to be ruthlessly crushed by Karna's fingers, the act releasing a wall of fire around and in front of the demigod, scorching the fairies' dresses. The defiant one cries and retreats, staring teary-eyed at Karna's scowling face.

"I will not repeat myself a second time." In contrast to the ambient heat his voice is chilling cold. "Do you swear?"

They all enthusiastically nod in unison.

"Good. You can go if you want."

They don't need to be told twice: with a great speed belittling their small frame they fly away, leaving Karna almost alone.

Almost being the key word.

"What a waste. You should have just killed them all. It isn't as if they have enough brain to remember your warning after all."

"So you finally show yourself." Karna calmly says while turning around, coming face to face to the presence observing him since the scolding.

What meets his eyes is a woman with red eyes and a mature face framed by shoulder-length wavy green hair. She wears a red plaid skirt and a waistcoat of the same color and pattern over a plain white shirt. Holding a parasol in one hand, she stands motionlessly in the air.

Her amicable smile gives off a sensation of friendliness at first glance, but Karna isn't fooled by it even for a second. He knows she is not human: the level of magic he senses from her is on par with another Heroic Spirit or a very capable Mage from the Age of Gods.

"Oh, so you knew?" Her smile grows wider. "An interesting show by the way: it was the first time I saw someone trying to discipline those pesky faeries. Most don't even bother and just blast them."

"They are called faeries, then?" Once hearing the term new details are made available to Karna.

Fairy: a simple creature of magic that represents some aspect of nature. Many of them are also simple-minded. Fairies may have abilities relating to the four seasons, weather, emotions, longevity, decay, fertility, or other aspects of nature. The power exercised by a single fairy is usually harmless and small scale, so they're more suited to playing around, rather than causing major happenings. Fortunately, most fairies are easily amused.

'So they were just doing pranks? Uhm, maybe I was too harsh.'

"You don't know about them? As I thought, you're an Outsider." She closes her eyes and continue to smile. "Not that it excuses you from trespassing on my sunflower field."

"The field? It is yours?"

"Yes." She raises her umbrella. "Now, you have two seconds to-"

"It is a magnificent and beautiful meadow. You have my full admiration."

It should be impossible, but nonetheless the green haired woman manages to trip in midair. She stands up and looks at Karna, happiness replaced by confusion. "What?"

"I said: It is a magnificent and beautiful meadow. You have my full admiration." Karna calmly repeats. "The earth is healthy and the flowers lush and thriving. It is without a doubt a work deserving the highest of praises." He presses both palms together, placing them at chest level and nods. "Most of all, you have my most sincere gratitude for allowing the sunflowers to prosper and continue praising the sun."

She continues to stand like that, gaping like a fish, before abruptly erupting into howls of belly laughter.

Karna tilts his head. "Was what I said laughable for you?"

"Ahahahah! It isn't that!" She wipes the tears from her eyes. "It's just-ahaha-I took care of them for a hundred years and you're-hehe-you're the first person to compliment me for it."

"Never once in a hundred years? They must be ingrates then." His words incites a new round of laughter from the woman.

"Aha-How I wish the red-white could hear you now. It would teach her a lesson."

She straightens up and smile again. "You know what? I changed my mind: I am glad to have met you today."

"Oh?" Karna narrows his eyes. "Is that true?"

She doesn't stop smiling. "Oh? Why would you say that?"

"You're happy, yes, but I think it's a selfish happiness. More then being happy for my presence or our meeting, you're happy for the possibility of what my presence here represents." He states with utmost seriousness.

She stays silent.

"Furthermore, the bloodlust you're currently emitting is unmistakable. You don't even try to hide it." That's right, since the beginning the woman has radiated a killing intent matching Karna's own.

"My~! How perceptive." She opens one eye, smile turning dangerously friendly-looking and simultaneously cold. "So, can you also guess what I want to do now?"

"Uhm." He seems to seriously reflect on the question. And he does indeed. "I think...you wish to inflict harm on me: it is this idea which gives you joy."

"I see..." Her smile turns feral and she levels the parasol at him, magic particles gathering at the tip. "And your answer?"

"Can we talk this over?" He candidly asks.

"Nope!" A tremendous beam of light is let loose from her parasol, the amount of magic went into its creation giving it power beyond belief.

In face of this, Karna will...

In face of this, Karna will...

[X] Block it.
    [] Evade it.
    [] Write in.

Regardless of the results, after it Karna will...

[X] Strike back.
    [] Try again to talk.
    [] Write in.

----

Alex: What you all were waiting for: the arrival of every Touhou fan's favourite friendly psychopath.

Yuukaaaa....Kazamiiiii!

Give her an applause people!

Yuuka: Thanks for the welcome.

Alex: Holy cow! What are you doing here?

Yuuka: You left the back door open when you made red-white and black-white doing the commentary.

Alex: I-I did...? Well, I better close it now...

Yuuka: Don't bother. I blasted it.

Alex: ...I see...help...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  8. Alexander

Karna's entire body tenses and his mind goes into overdrive.

The exact instant the beam comes into existence the trusted bow Vijaya is already in his hand, string drawn back and its arrow of light covered in flames ready to be shot. The light is unbearable but Karna's unflinching gaze never falters, eyes gauging the beam with uncanny precision.

The power is incredible, the speed outside the boundaries of human limits, the density of the prana enough to easily categorize the attack as Rank A or A+. With that size almost any sort of opponent would find avoiding it impossible.

He has seen worse.

He has countered worse.

The beam's passage makes even the air scream in agony, the sound enough to shatter the courage of lesser men.

Karna charges. He charges toward nigh unstoppable destruction the instant the beam's mass covered him from the woman's sight without any hesitation, his mind keeping track of the distance, analyzing the attack's structure and predicting the probable duration, his body already moving before his brain command it.

He doesn't know why attacking him makes the woman happy, even if he has his suspicions, but it doesn't matter for he has no intention of indulging her more than necessary.

Not without knowing the reason and a truthful request from her part at least.

Besides, it may be selfish but he really needs to know more about this place and this woman could give him answers. And the best manner to end this as quickly as possible...it is reckless, but even he enjoys a challenge every once in a while.

So, once the distance between him and the wall of energy reaches a certain threshold-

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

A dozen upon dozen flame covered arrows leave his bow at speeds beyond the ken of mortal eyes.

The first arrow impacts against the beam dead on.

The second strikes the exact same point a fraction of second later.

The next fraction twelve arrows do the same, one after another in rapid succession.

Then it is the turn of thirty.

Again and again they hit the same spot, ever projectile charged with enough prana to destroy a large building and exploding at impact with the force of a cannonball. Again and again they slam against nigh unstoppable destruction.

And destruction is not just halted. Destruction is pushed back.

For just a tenth of second the Master Spark's momentum is halted in his entirety and Karna, without wasting away the opportunity, sends again a fiery barrage of arrows.

The wall of energy folds back into itself, a depression opening in its mass.

And yet Karna continues shooting, the speed and number of arrows growing even further. Under the unrelenting onslaught the depression soon transforms into a path through the green haired woman's attack and he follows before it closes, unworried even when the streams of power flow around him and that a single mistake would doom him to be drowned in its purpose of destruction.

As he is near the end he feels the torrent of destruction shrinking, signaling the attack is about to finish.

'Just in time.'

The moment the beam's mass is reduced just enough to cover his figure Karna bursts out directly in front of the woman, who is still holding out her umbrella and fiercely grinning. Before she can even registers his presence the demigod kicks the parasol out of her hands, followed by leveling the last arrow in front of her eye, distant enough to not burn her but close enough to hit in a heartbeat, bow drawn and ready to fire.

"...Eh?" Her grinning face falls into one of confusion, looking at Karna and her hand back and forth as if she has problems understanding what happened.

"I thank you for this most generous opportunity." Karna solemnly says.

"Eh? Eh!? EH?!?!" The movements of her head are now frantic, her pupils shrunk to pin's tips as she locates her falling parasol before snapping to attention and just stares at Karna and at the arrow threatening her.

"This swift success was only possible because you used such a powerful attack on me." He explains. "Thanks to it covering my actions I was able to push through it and get close to you without your notice. Truly, this victory was brought forth by your actions."

The woman continues to stare, an unreadable expression on her face.

"And so I am sorry to ask you this, but can we cease the hostilities? I am unfortunately lost and in dire need of directions. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated."

It's all he could say before the air in the corner of his eyes shimmers and he's forced to use Vijaya to block the sudden attack of...

An identical copy of the woman? At least it would be if not for the crazed look on her face. He parries the punch only for the original woman to sock him in the face, the noise coming out of her mouth half enraged scream and half joyful laughter.

'She is strong.' Thanks to his armor the damage is minimal, but the woman's strength is not to be underestimated. Even more if the new arrival is as strong at her. 'I see no alternatives. I will try to incapacitate her. Both of them.'

Ducking under the twin's kick he dismisses his bow and delivers an uppercut to her chin. The moment it hits Karna's punch releases an explosion of fire and she is launched into the air before disappearing like a mirage.

He quirks an eyebrow. 'Teleportation? No, it doesn't feel like that...maybe a clone created by magic?'

Such thoughts are interrupted when he needs to dodge the real one's, now even more ferocious, attacks, her smile threatening to split her face into two.

'I had two wives and nine sons.' He thinks almost bitterly while blocking a kick and sending one back, the explosion and flames shredding her clothes but leaving her almost unharmed save for some light burns. 'And yet I still don't understand how women think.'

From there on it degenerates into an aerial brawl: without a single respite Karna is forced to endure a restless onslaught of punches, kicks and even headbutts, occasionally intertwined with barrages of bullets, which Karna dodges when possible or endures if the alternative is giving ground, and blades of razor-sharp vines sprouting from the ground that burn the moment they touch his armor.

The woman doesn't use martial arts, but his thoughtful eyes could see her movements are refined to a great degree: such a thing could only be the result of years of experience in real battles.But at the end she has a glaring weakness: she is many times slower than Karna. This, coupled with her battle frenzy hindering her judgment, heralds a blatant result.

With a loud 'THUD!' her body falls to the ground, while Karna gracefully lands a short distance from her, catching his breath and eyeing her warily.

She stares at the sky unmoving, enough remaining pieces of clothes to cover her modesty, for a few seconds before exploding into another fit of laughter.

"AhahAHahaahAH!!! I lost my cool, had the living daylight punched out of me and yet...and yet it was the best fun I had in ages! Even better that the time the red-white barged into my house and when that judge of the dead decided to lecture me. It's so shameful, but I don't care one bit! Ahahaha!!"

She sits up. "Aah, I needed that: Danmaku is fun and all, but I missed a real and proper fight."

Sensing all feeling of aggression leaving the woman Karna relaxes and holds out a hand. "Are you alright? While I am glad you found happiness, I would ask if the next time you could make a formal request before assaulting me, to know if I am available or not."

She stares at him, then laughs again and stands up on her own. "You're weird, you know that? Well, a new type of weird at least." She picks up her parasol and turns toward Karna. "What's with that bored expression? You defeated the great Yuuka Kazami! Be happy!" She commands. "Or it would cheapens my reputation! Can't have the small fries think I am soft."

How do you respond to this?

[] Write in.
    ----

Alex: Too tired to think some options. Just introduced yourself and all that. Just so you know: the first introduction is important for the type of reputation you wish to cultivate in the future. Nothing ridiculous please.

Yuuka: Where did he go? Come back here and explain!

Alex: *hiding under the table* Help!

9. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

Oooh, Karna is back~

He is the son a Sun deity. She is the flowering spirit.

Together, they fight Incidents!
    (And sometimes cause them)

EDIT: Damn, where is the Delete Button...

10. Alexander

Don't worry Grosstoad, it happens.
    ----

'She is worried about her reputation?'
    Karna thinks. 'That would not do.' After all damaging the renown of a such hard working artist because of his actions would be a grave offense.

He claps his hands together and nods. "I thank you for your introduction, Yuuka Kazami. I am Karna, son of Surya. I fear I must apologize for the apparent lack of reaction on my part to your defeat, but I arrived in this land mere minutes ago and as such am unaware of any reputation you may have." He tries to sound apologetic, but regrettably he was never good as expressing his emotions. So he can't tell if he is successful or not.

"Though given your ferocity in battle and the power you brought to bear, I believe I can venture a guess." He still wonders why a gardener would require high martial prowess and magical power. The fellows who dare to threaten the sunflowers have to be mighty indeed. "I doubt that your reputation is in any peril, and should I suspect otherwise I shall endeavor to impress whoever thinks less of you." A beat. "If not for the sake of your renown, then most certainly for the sake of their continued well-being." After all he doesn't wish to put innocents in danger. Fame play a great role in battle, it allows general to make a city surrender without the need of spilling blood. Likewise, he can see how the integrity of Yuuka Kazami's reputation is fundamental to avoid unnecessary conflicts.

"Ahaha!" His words incites another round of laughers from Yuuka. "Don't get cocky. As if I would need someone's else help to take care of my garden." She scoffs, smiling. "In more way than others." Putting her free hand under her chest and lifting her considerable cleavage she gazes at Karna thoughtfully. "So, Karna was it? You never answered my question: why did you trespass into my garden?"

He gestures to the land around the two. "I have been summoned to this land to perform a task: when I woke up I was already here. Unfortunately, it would appear that my summoner was not present upon my arrival in your garden. As such I ask for your forgiveness and to consider the fact it was never my intention to do so. Of course this doesn't erase my guilt, but I hope it could ease it."

"Summoned?" Her eyes narrows, anger seeping in her tone. "Was it through a 'gap' in space filled with red unblinking eyes? Opened by a golden haired woman with a parasol and an haughty voice?"

Karna shakes his head slowly. "Nay, it was a great deluge of light and fire. And I only heard my summoner's voice: while regal and proud, it didn't contain a single trace of haughtiness. I fear I have little to go on save the sound of her voice, my appointed task, and this magatama." He holds up the necklace to let her look at it better. "Though it pains me to impose upon you when we have only recently met, might I ask for your aid? These lands are not my own. I do not know neither its inhabitants or its customs. I do not know where even to begin my search."

He stops, realizing that, considering Kazami's ruined clothes it would be unbecoming to force a woman to walk around in such a state. He averts his gaze, not out of embarrassment, not strictly, but because it is socially unacceptable for a man to look at a woman in such a state if they aren't married. "Well. Perhaps we should first find you suitable clothing to serve as a replacement. I apologize for the damage I caused to it, and regret that I do not have even a cloak to offer you in return."

Yuuka shrugs. "Why not? You won after all. And don't worry about it." She turns and begins walk away. "My house is nearby and my closet is full of clothes most of the time I don't even use. Follow me."

"Dhanyavad." Muttering 'thank you' in Hindu he retreats his wings to their dormant state and trails behind Yuuka. She shoots a confused glance at him from behind her shoulder, but almost immediately shrugs and looks ahead again.

The two follow a straight line through the meadow, the sunflowers moving at their passage to offer a free path, and soon they reach a one story house of modern eastern design with a roof of red tiles.

Next to the door a young girl is seated on a chair: she has yellow hair and wears a pink hat with a red ribbon and a dark red and pink dress. On her shoulder she carries a curved scythe. She is snoozing but at the sound of the duo's arrival she stands up and opens her eyes, revealing the same yellow color of her hair. "Welcome back YuukaaaAAAAHH!!!" She screams, realizing Yuuka's state of undress. The scythe clatters to the ground as she point a shaky finger at the other woman. "What happened to your dress?!"

"Nothing much." She scoffs and smiles as she slightly turns her head to the other side, eyes closed. "I just had a good work out."

"A-a-a w-work out?!?" Her pretty face flashes red.

"Yes. It was very hot too. I sweated a lot." She replies flipping her hair, still not looking at her subordinate. Karna is waiting behind, confused by the exchange but resolute to give the two apparent acquaintances their privacy

"Very hot?! Sweated a lot?!?" The young girl repeats, her face reddening more at each word.

"Yes, yes, there is no need to repeat it. Ah." She gestures to Karna. "Elly, meets my new guest Karna. Karna, this is Elly, my gatekeeper."

"Namasté." Karna claps his hands, puts them at chest level and nods, greeting Elly with the appropriate Hindu formula.

Elly's eyes grow to the size of dinner plates as she stares at Karna's appearance, her face now resembling a fresh ripe tomato. She babbles some unintelligible noises and...

Flop.

...drops to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

"Elly? Elly? Oh whatever." She passes over her and opens the door.

"Will she be alright?" Karna asks, concerned.

"It's a stroke or something. She will up in a hour, maximum." Yuuka quickly dismisses the situation and enters. Karna still has doubts, but at the end decides Kazami, as the employer, knows better. He just lingers a few seconds to put Elly's body on the chair and then follows Yuuka.

"Sit." She says the word more as a command than a suggestion, indicating a table, before disappearing inside another room. Karna complies, seating himself on one of the chairs.

A shuffling of clothes and after a minute Yuuka emerges with an outfit identical to the one destroyed by Karna. "Tea?"

"I would appreciate it." He replies with a small smile.

Soon there are two cups of hot green tea on the table. The two drink in silence, following a tacit accord, until Yuuka suddenly speaks.

"Gensokyo, the 'Land of Illusions." She puts down her cup, her voice calm like she is reciting a lesson learned to memory. Karna pauses and devotes his full attention to her. "It's the name of the land as a whole. It was originally a part of Japan until it was cut off from the rest of the normal world roughly an hundred years ago.

"Its role? Being a sanctuary for magical beings who don't fit in the modern world." She slowly traces with her finger the borders of the cup. "As science advances magic slowly disappears from the world. To preserve it various powerful beings created a border and sealed the land inside: if it is something forgotten, you can find it in Gensokyo. Like faeries, or Youkai." She shows a toothy smile. "Like me."

Youkai, Karna's source of information provides, is a generic Japanese term to designate a supernatural creature.

"I see. Fascinating." A place where the Age of Gods is still preserved: the thought brings a small smile on Karna's lips. 'Not all is lost.'

Yuuka quirks an eyebrow. "You don't seem concerned."

"About what?" He inquires, puzzled.

"About me being a Youkai. Humans are a delicacy for us, you know?" Her face turns slightly feral.

"And so are animals like chickens and fishes for humans. It is merely the circle of life." He calmly states, his face and voice carefully controlled. "Furthermore, I could never fault you for the manners of your birth. It is actions that shape an individual."

For Karna, who was discriminated in life for being a child without a single relative, this is a 'truth' that can never be denied or forgotten. Of course, as an hero his duty is to protect innocent people from monsters, but he can't fault them for their nature.

Yuuka's expression falls and reverts to an amazed one. "Saying that with a straight face...you really are a new kind of weird." She shakes her head, chuckling. "Then again, is the issue even concerning you? There is no way you are an human. What are you? I wasn't aware there were such strong beings still remaining on Earth."

"Ah, this isn't exactly right. I was an human." At least half of him. "Until I died."

"You're a Phantom?" Yuuka looks interested.

"The correct term is 'Eirei' (Heroic Spirits). Those who accomplished great achievements in life and, after their death, became the object of worship and lore ascend to a status similar to Gods and are granted a place in a special afterlife called Throne of Heroes. From here we lend our assistance to whoever called to us, but very rarely we are summoned as an actual being. Mine is such a rare case."

"Ooh? An hero, uh?" Yuuka looks very amused. "I know a lot of Realms of the Death, but this is the first time I heard about this Throne. Definitely something new." She takes another sip of tea. "What about this task?"

"My summoner didn't give me a name, but she mentioned protecting a group of people and something about a 'He' preventing her for interfering an 'if His plans come to fruition all will be lost'."

"And she gave you that magatama?" He nods. "Let me see it."

He takes of the necklace and gives it to Yuuka. The youkai examines it for half a minute before giving it back to Karna. "It's something divine, no doubts about it, but I can't tell more. Then again, it's not as if I was ever interested in such things, unless they are used to exterminate me." She smiles, amused.

Her index finger begins rhythmically tapping the table. After a two minutes of silence she speaks again. "I can't help you, not directly, but I can direct you to someone who could be capable of doing it."

She holds up one finger. "Your first option is the Hakurei Shrine, whose line first built and now manage the Border. The shrine maiden here is an unruly brat, but she does her job well. She may, I stress this part, she may have something in her archives about the magatama."

She holds up a second finger. "There is also the Moriya Shrine: it's relatively new to Gensokyo, but it houses two gods who appears frequently."

A third finger. "The Human Village. Yes, we have one. You can find interesting individuals, like a shop owner with the power to determine the name and purpose of an item, a school teacher who can, under the right circumstances, know anything in the land and an historian whose family recorded every event occurred in Gensokyo."

A fourth finger. "Eientei, a mansion hidden deep inside the Bamboo Forest of the Lost. There lives a certain genius who lived for a long time and knows quite a few things."

A fifth finger. "And, finally, there is the Scarlet Devil Mansion, house of a pair of bratty vampire sisters. Yes, bloodsuckers. They caused some trouble in the past, but now respect the status quo. What interest you is another resident of the mansion: a magician who amassed an huge library of magical books and she is very-" A smirk. "knowledgeable."

She puts down her hand and shrugs. "This is all I can think at the moment. Choose one and stick with it: I don't want to bother explaining how to reach all of them." From her dismissive tone it is clear the help she is willing to give is coming to an end.

Karna ponders the dilemma. What is the best option?

[] Hakurei Shrine.
    [X] Moriya Shrine.

[] Human Village.
    [] Eientei.
    [] Scarlet Devil Mansion.

Also, will Karna ask Yuuka to accompany him?

[X] Yes.
    [] No.
    ----

The author is hanging upside-down from the ceiling, roped like a freshly captured prey.

Yuuka: Explain. Now.

Alex: *mumble, mumble* Alright. Tell me something: was that Master Spark at full power?

Yuuka: ....

Alex: The answer is no, uh? There, you have your answer. For the second half of the battle, you were just a bit rusted, that's all.

Yuuka: ....

Alex: Now, can we talk like civilized persons?

Yuuka: ...I suppose.

Alex: Good. So please let me go now an-why are you pointing your umbrella at me-no Yuuka civilized people don't talk with Master Spa-Oh God Whyyy!!!

BOOOM!!!

11. Alexander

Karna carefully contemplates the options given to him, his chin resting on his right fist, before nodding. "The Moriya Shrine." While the Human Village seems to host many capable people, it would not do to embark on his quest without paying homage to the local gods and request their blessing for his actions. "Although, while I am grateful for your help I was wondering if it is possible for you to accompany my travels."

"Oh?" Yuuka quirks an eyebrow, lips stretching into an amused smile. "Why?"

"There are three reasons." He answers in his usual stoic tone. "The first is that having a guide ensures a more smooth journey. Secondly while I have a way to know about modern customs, it doesn't extend to Gensokyo, so I humbly ask of your knowledge. The last is connected with my ignorance: I am a stranger here, so it may be expected of the residents to feel wary about me. I would appreciate someone to vouch for the honesty of my intentions. Surely a person of your stature is well known and respected in Gensokyo."

Yuuka stares at Karna with a dumbfounded expression for a few seconds before slapping an hand over her lips and suppresses a giggle. "The first two I can understand, but you want me to vouch for you with the other residents?" Her lips stretches into a wide grin and she looks aside. "'Well known and respected'? I am indeed both, but if you want to go to the Moriya Shrine it may not be a good idea. While I like little Sanae and her naivety, I am afraid the sentiment..." Her eyes glitters. "is not mutual."

"And besides-" She straightens her back and dismissively waves her hand. "I can't do that even if I want to. Winter is coming to an end and me and Lily are busy making sure all the plants blossom in the proper way. Duty calls, duty calls."

"I see. Regrettable but understandable." Karna claps his hands and nods. "In that case I have taken up enough of your time. Once you direct me to the proper route I will be on my way."

"Good, good. But before you go, there is one last thing I need to teach you." She stands up. "Well, I guess it's best if I show you. Follow me."

Once outside they go to the back of the house, ignoring the still fainted Elly. Yuuka turns and faces Karna. "If you want to travel across Gensokyo there is something you need to know first and foremost."

She twirls her parasol her rests it on her shoulder. "Gensokyo is full of powerful beings, many with strong personalities that clash with each other, and of course the human and youkai communities are always under tension. To resolve this a duel system with specific rules was created, called 'Spell Card system'."

"A most commendable effort." Karna nods, impressed. "How does it work?"

"The system encompasses all of Gensokyo, affecting every being living within this realm. The magic weaved into it stops all kind of physical damage and prevents unnecessary deaths. It also works for the surrounding environment: necessary, considering the level of power usually involved the land would soon be full of scorching craters." She smiles. "It's how I can go full power on the intruders without risking to harm my delicate sunflowers."

"In a match, opponents would usually shoot Danmaku bullets and other type of attacks at each other, but mostly the first. Danmaku bullets are like this." Yuuka points a finger to the side, forming a ball of yellow energy and shooting it. "Bullets differ from person to person and follow the nature of one's own power: there are also lasers and energy blades. Physical attacks are allowed, but many people rely mainly on ranged attacks."

Karna can see why: even when he was alive archery held a great role in warfare. Like in a duel between a man with a sword and one with a bow, the man with the bow has greater reach and can stay safe as long as he keeps the other away, but if the man with the sword has greater skills he can overcome the obstacle.

"Along with the normal attacks,-" Yuuka continues, clearly enjoying playing the part of a cultured professor. "there are also Spell Cards, an individual's most powerful techniques. They can range from really good physical attacks to really large Danmaku barrages with more powerful projectiles and a complex pattern. Look."

She holds the parasol up to the sky: energy converges on the tip and a wide wave of energy bullets is shoot out, each bullets shaped like a flower.

"Impressive." Karna claps, honestly amazed. Of course it doesn't show on his face one bit. "In my days such a level of control could be found only in the best mages. I take the beam of energy from before was also a Spell Card?

"Of course." She boasts. "The 'Master Spark'. The one just now was the 'Flower Shooting'." She reaches into her skirt pocket, pulls out two cards and hands them to Karna. The Heroic Spirits studies both with interest: at the top there is the name of the attack, while below it there is a picture of Yuuka performing said attack. And finally, below the picture there is a simple description of the attack and how much time it lasts.

"A Spell Card is formed when one uses an attack and the system recognizes it as meeting the parameters." She takes back the two cards. "The card form is useful if you want to loan it to someone: in that case the person just needs to hold out the card, channels magic into it and shouts out its name to use it."

"I presume there are restrictions on their use?" Karna questions. "Also, what are the victory and defeat conditions?"

"The Spell Card system prevents physical damage, but doesn't stop the pain. So usually the winner is decided when the opponent is knock out from the pain. Or he surrenders. But the players can also agree on specific conditions before the battle: like the number of Spell Cards, how much time they can last and if the victor is the one to draw first blood and the like. It's very flexible. Many humans do it when battling youkai. Danmaku is a game of wits." She taps her head. "Not of brawns."

"I see. I thank you for the explanation." He tilts his head and rests a fist on his hips. "Anything else?"

"Yes. The most important part, the reason I brought you here. To make your first Spell Card." At Karna's questioning look she continues. "You need at least one Spell Card for the damage-preventing magic to be in effect, and also to challenge someone who request their use." She waves her hand. "Do you have something? Some pretty powerful spell? If so just use it and the system will react and shape it to something suitable."

"I am not mage or spellcaster." Karna says. "But..." He materialize his bow and turns toward an empty portion of sky. "I have something."

Yes: the greatest and most holy discipline taught to the warriors of his time. A gift from the Gods, the most venerable aspect of Archery.

The Divine Weapons. The Astras.

He raises Vijaya, aiming to the sky, and draws the string creating an arrow of light.

"OM!" He intones, his voice firm but musical.

"Satyamit tan na tvaavaananyo asteendra devo na martyo jyaayaan (It is true that no-one else is like you, O Indra - no deity or mortal is greater than you)!" Divine power gathers around the arrow, its source the entire world.

"Vaastosh pate dhruvaa sthoonaamsatram somyaanaam drapso bhettaa puraam shashvateenaamindro muneenaam sakhaa (You are a mighty Pillar, lord of the home, armor of those who offer the Soma: The drop of Soma smashes down all the Cities, and Indra is the friend of the Munis)!" The light of the arrow changes, passing from warm yellow to brilliant blue.

"Indrastra!" With a final shout the arrow is released. It travels in the sky before disappearing.

The next moments many mandalas made of Sanskrit symbols appears in the sky and let loose a rain of bright blue energy bullets shaped like falling drops of water. Their paths are straightforward, but when they strike the ground they burst, releasing lesser bullets that fall at random around the area of impact, like what happens when a drop of water hits a surface.

'It went better then I expected.' Karna thinks with satisfaction. Usually by invoking the Indastra the result would be a 'shower' of arrows, but it seems the systems reacted with the divine energy and produced a more suitable result.

Once it ends a bright light comes into existence in front of Karna, who lowers his bow and waits for what will happen next. When the light recedes in front of him, rotating in midair, was a glowing card. Following his instinct he reaches with one hand towards it and grabs it out of the air. As his hand makes contact with the card the glow dissipates, revealing a card much like the Spell Card that Yuuka showed him.

"Astra Sign: [Indrastra]." He reads out the inscription at the top: below it there is a picture of the mandalas raining danmaku and a description of the attack. He turns back toward Yuuka, who is openly gaping at Karna. "I trust it was an acceptable Spell Card."

Wordlessly Yuuka uses an hand to push her chin up and holds out an hand. "Let me see the card." Once in her hands she examines it for a full minute before giving it back. "Yes, it was...acceptable. Simple but acceptable." There is a strange glint in her eyes now, like she is seeing Karna in a new light.

Karna astralizes the card and the bow, putting them together with the rest of his weapons. "Can I have now the directions for the Shrine?"

"Uh?" She seems to snap out of a trance. "Oh, sure. You see that mountain?" She points to the one he saw before, the one in the middle of the forest in the West. "It's called the Youkai Mountain: the Moriya Shrine is at the top. Once in the forest looks for a river and follow it back to a waterfall. Once you're at the top of it you will see the Shrine." She shrugs. "That's all. If you get lost just ask a youkai: there are plenty of them, mainly Tengu and Kappa."

"I understand." Karna claps his hands and nods. "Until we meet again, Yuuka Kazami."

"Until we meet again Karna, son of Surya." She nods back, for the fist time an honest smile adorning her lips.

Yuuka stares at the retreating back of Karna, the warrior having decided to walk instead of flying, until he ends outside her visual sight.

"I can smell it~." She clicks her tongue, her hand twirling the parasol. "There is an 'Incident' in the making. Ufufufu~." She turns and walk back to the house.

Only to be almost run down by Elly, who, now awake, is running while screaming at the top of her lungs: "THE END IS NEAAAAAARRRRR!! EVERY MAN AND YOUKAI FOR HIMSEEEELLLFFFF!"

Yuuka stares at the back of her friend and tilts her head in confusion.

[*]
    STAGE 1: COMPLETED!
    Touhou Characters met:
    -Yuuka Kazami, the "Flower Master of the Four Seasons"
    -Elly, the "Porter of a Mansion"

Bonus:
    Unlocked: Yuuka Kazami Route
    Unlocked: Spell Card "Astra Sign: [Indrastra]"
    Unlocked: Personal Skill "Astras"
    Unlocked: Personal Skill "Archery"

STAGE 2: LOADING...PLEASE WAIT...​

----

The author emerges from the rubble, air singed and clothes partially burned.

Alex: *cough* Thank God for the "Author Immunity" Skill. Still hurt like a bitch. What did I have to...Oh, right: this time you don't have to make a choice. We will go back to it when the second Stage starts.

Until then, *thumb up and a flashy grin* stay tuned!

12. Alexander

Scarlet Weather
    Above the Earth, hidden in the sky, one could find not only clouds and a Dragon God swimming in the air without a care in the world, but also many worlds inhabited by beings who have been born or have reached a status closer to the Gods.

Tenkai is their collective name.

In those otherworldly realms it is always spring, the wind never blowing too strong or too weak and always of the just temperature to bring comfort. Fields of flowers always in bloom, lush lakes of clean water and mountains created when the world was still young decorate the landscape, fluffy clouds of immaculate white dancing around, one moment high in the sky and the next close to the ground, playing the part of the mist for their own enjoyment.

In one particular location of one specific realm, we can find a great Japanese palace which put to shame the castles of every Emperor of Japan ever existed. The exquisite gardens are perfectly trimmed, the tiles decorating the buildings display a myriad of different colors and the statues of past ancestors and mythical beasts are so realistic they give the feeling they will one moment just jump off the pedestal and walk away.

Let's come closer again and....

"Stop where you are Young Lady." A stern voice can be heard from inside a certain passageway.

A woman with red eyes and short violet blue hair, wearing a hat with a red bow and two long ribbons extending out, a white and red shirt and a long black skirt is chasing down the corridor an younger girl while shouting. The girl has the same red eyes, but longer blue hair. She wears a blue dress and on her head she dons a black hat decorated with peaches.

"Leave me alone Iku!" Shouts back the younger girl, without stopping or turning back.

"It's Nagae-sensei for you!" The now named Iku replies with outrage. She shakes her head. "Honestly, skipping lessons like that...can you at least tell me where are you going?"

The girl with the peaches on her hat stops, prompting Iku to do the same. The older woman waits patiently for an answer, arms crossed and the right foot tapping the ground, before the girl turns back with a spin that lifts her skirt, showing her long and shapely legs. On her face she displays a confident and haughty smile. "I am going back to Gensokyo!"

Nagae looks at her with a disapproving glare. "Why? To have your ass kicked by the Shrine Maiden and her friends again?"

"Hey!" The peaches girl protests. "It wasn't so bad! It was a close call: they just got lucky."

"Sure." Iku rolls her eyes. "Remember me to teach you "humility" in the next lesson. Honestly Tenshi,-" She puts an hand on her forehead and scoffs, her shawl billowing in a nonexistent wind. "It was just two months ago that you threatened them with an earthquake. Because you were bored. What is the reason this time?"

The look in Tenshi's eyes changes to calculative. "Did you hear about the old Kameyo's late prophecy?"

Iku raises an eyebrow. "She made another one? What did she say?"

"She said: "A great warrior of the past will descend to the Mortal world. His armor shines like treasure, his strength rivals all the Heavens and his fists split apart the Earth with ease. He is praised and loved by all the Gods, the most beloved child of the Celestial Skies. He is Fire. He is Light. He is the Sun." " Tenshi repeats with perfect recollection, like he studied it again and again until it was branded indelibly in her mind.

"Uhm. Interesting." Iku muses, walking to the window and looking at the garden outside, where another group of Celestials is drinking and singing. "The last one was 60 years ago, concerning that great war in the outside world. They are not to take lightly. Well they never affected Tenkai so maybe I am overthinking it." She sighs and looks back at Tenshi, frowning when she sees her student is silently walking away and she is about to turn a corner. "And pray tell, how does it concern you?"

Tenshi stops again, next to a board with an ancient vase on it, and looks at her teacher mischievously. "Isn't that obvious? This 'warrior' sounds very strong. So I am going to find him and challenge him to a duel!"

"What!?" Nagae shouts, enraged. "I can't allow you to simply go and-"

"Catch!" Tenshi grabs the vase and throws it toward Iku before running away.

"Eh?!" Panicking Iku tries to catch the vase before it falls to the ground and breaks, but miscalculates its weight and with a squeal ends falling on her ass in a most undignified manner.

"TENSHI!!!"

13. Alexander

Youkai Forest

Winter is gradually ending in Gensokyo, slowly making space for the pleasant warmth of Spring. It wasn't very evident in the Garden of Sun, but the air still blows a cold wind: traces of snow can be seen on the ground and atop the trees, specifically deep inside the forest where the sun doesn't reach.

Karna enjoys it nonetheless. Walking amidst the lush woodland, feet slightly sinking into the soft terrain, he admires the local plants so different from his home: in the hot plains of India most plants are evergreen, with a great prevalence of teak, with its small, fragrant white flowers, and sandalwood, both the wood and oil possessing a distinctive fragrance, while here the trees are bare but he can see the growing buds on the branches' smooth and grey bark. They are also higher, with a rounded crown.

'An interesting climate.' He muses while bending and picking up an handful of snow which instantly begins to melt. Snow was something he only saw on the highest mountains like the Himalayas, where few plants or nothing grew at all. Seeing it here, where life is abundant, is a novel experience.

[*]

"See? It is as I said."

"I don't know Wedge, are you sure it will go smoothly?"

"For the love of our ancestors Biggs, try to grow a pair of balls. He is only a human."

"The last human we met broke all our bones."

"That was a Shrine Maiden, it doesn't count. This is a male with no weapons and light armor. Don't you want to taste human flesh again?"

"Well..."

"I am glad you agree. Now get into position. At my three. One...Two..."

[*]

"THREE!!!"

While Karna is standing in front of an intersection, deciphering the frankly horrible writings of the sign holding many different names with arrows pointing in different directions, one of which he tentatively translate to 'Sunflowers field. Danger!', two figures from two different directions burst out of the bushes and jump toward him, teeth bare and claws ready to rip flesh.

With a bored face he steps back. The assailants fail to stop their lunge and end up hitting each other head with a thunderous "BAM!!" before falling down like two sacks of potatoes.

Karna tilts his head and observes, if the animal tails and claws are any indication, he believes to be two youkai. Despite their sneaking around and whispering he could hear them perfectly fine and was waiting for them to initiate the first move. But for it to be over so soon, and in such a pathetic manner...he feels sorry for them.

He walks over them, careful to not step on their bodies, and takes the right road. Normally he would have informed them of their lack of hunting skills and how they need to improve before trying again, or by selecting a prey they stand a chance of capturing. Like a rabbit. But their unconsciousness makes it a moot point.

'Besides...' Karna continues walking until he reaches a spot illuminated by a stray beam of sunlight. He then stops, the light making his armor shine and surrounding him with a golden halo. He turns to his left side, his pure white hair glittering and his piercing sky blue eyes with red painted circles around them staring at the deep foliage of a nearby cedar. "You can come out."

A bird chirps flying in the sky. "Awwh, over so soon?" A silk-like voices resounds before the air shimmers and the illusion falls, revealing a group of ten figures surrounding Karna. Some have animal traits, some appear human, but they all feel like Yuuka: youkai.

One of them steps forward: it's a woman dressed in a rather loose yellow yukata with a very short skirt and geta on her feet. She has yellow-green snake-like eyes and long black hair collected in a ponytail that, for no apparent reason, is coiled around her right shoulder.

"I am surprised." She speaks, revealing herself the possessor of the silk-like voice, right hand on her hips and left one relaxed. "No many people can see through Ayumi-chan's illusions." She tilts her head toward a female with three long fox tails, who blushes.

"My eyes always see the Truth." Karna monotonously answers back gazing in the eyes of what he presumes to be the leader. It was almost painfully easy seeing the group stalking him some time after he entered the forest, ever since the beginning: however good this 'Ayumi' is, her skills are nothing against him. "Normally I would greet you, but you're not here to talk." It isn't a question.

"My, my, how perceptive." A long, tiny bifurcated tongue zips out of her lips and licks them, eyes narrowing in amusement while the other nine straighten their backs. "It makes preys tas-sss-te better."

"I am a spirit." Karna informs her, trying to resolve things peacefully. "I am not made of real flesh and blood." It is the truth: while he possesses a solid body at his core he is still a Ghost Liner. In case of death he will not leave behind a corpse but dissolve into prana particles while his soul returns to the Throne of Heroes. Of course, as long as he is alive he can bleed like any other being, but they don't need to know that.

"I know sweetie." She traces her pinkie over her lower lips. "I am not like thos-sss-e two cretins. The biggest idiots I have ever met. But, do you know? By devouring spirits Youkai can boost their powers-sss. So be a good boy and let yourself be devoured!" She shoots toward him, maws open revealing two long fangs dripping green liquid, a venom of some sort.

Inwardly Karna sighs. Some times he wishes the crystallization of his legends didn't make so his enemies are constantly unable to grasp the true extends of his strength unless they know enough about him. It is more of a curse than a blessing. While it is often useful, considering an opponent usually lowers their guard, it also means ever the weakest soldier would think he stands a chance. Annoying.

Even so, Kazami told him there is a no-kill policy. Even if the local residents disregard it, he will not do the same. While he believes in this 'Spell Card system', one can never be too careful.

[] Go to Spirit form and let them chase ghosts while you walk away.
    [X] Try to convince them to desist.
    [] Discipline them. It always works. With:
    -[] Your bow.
    -[] Your spear.
    -[] You have a sword, even if it is not a Noble Phantasm.
    -[] A Mantra is ideal when dealing with malevolent spirits.
    -[] Just your fists will be enough.
    [] Write in.

----
    Japanese youkai with English names? Yes I can. Why?​

14. Alexander

'Going in Spirit form is not an option, they may have a way to track me. To parley then: I just hope I can reason with them.' Karna thinks while he watches the youkai leader jumping toward him. Her mouth widens.

And closes around nothing. "I am on a mission and seek an audience with the local gods of the mountain to fulfil my task." Karna says from behind her. She turns around with an incredulous expression on her face, mirrored by the other youkai, before snarling and trying again to bite him.

The Son of the Sun simply steps aside and moves, again ending behind her. His speed is so high he is sure they can only see a blur, but only by squinting their eyes and using magic. He crosses his arms over his chest and levels a cold gaze at the woman. "I don't have the liberty to fight you now. However, if you will allow this battle to be postponed until such a time as when I am no longer burdened by my duty, I swear to return and face your challenge."

The youkai bristles at his gaze but keeps her voice firm. "Do I look like a fool? Even if you did come back you might bring along reinforcements, or a Shrine Maiden." Around them her subordinates are chattering among themselves, unsure of how to react to the strange development.

"In that case I swear to come back alone. And to keep the duel fair I will restrict myself to whatever power I possess at this time in the event I grow stronger." When it comes to Karna, who never broke his sworn word in life, even when doing so brought him nothing but misfortune and tragedy, his promises can very well be regarded as absolute natural laws that will happen without any shadow of doubt. Such is the strength of character of this particular Heroic Spirit.

Of course, the resolution to limit himself to his current strength is merely a formality: Heroic Spirit are already considered perfect existences born from human souls and worship. For them to gain even more power...it would be an unforeseen and frightening outcome.

After all, they already have the power to do the impossible. Who knows what there is beyond it?

The ponytailed youkai frowns. "...Assuming you are serious, as crazy as it sounds, why should I wait?"

"To get stronger of course."

"Stronger! Ah!" Her lips peels back in an humorless smirk. Karna notes her hair are shifting. But there is no wind. "I and my pals are quite strong enough now."

He tilts his head and looks at the circle of youkai. "Against me? No: you're weak, pathetically so." As always Karna speaks the truth without considering the effects it will have on other people. Worse, it's an honest statement without any malice, but because of his emotionless visage they think he is looking down at them.

"WHAT!?" She shouts enraged, a sentiment shared by many in the group.

But he has yet to finish. "I am willing to offer a handicap in our future fight, but that's my final offer. Could you decide so I can resume my mission?" Even him is beginning to feel irritation.

"Are you stark raving mad?!" She hisses, ponytail unwinding from her shoulder on its own and raising: a jaw opens up at the end, revealing another set of poison-dripping fangs. "Girls, get him!"

"But I am a guy." Someone protests from the circle of youkai reading themselves for battle.

"Shut up Hideyoshi!"

Karna does the only thing he could do when faced with such a situation. He closes his eyes and sighs. "Children." Because in his eyes they are behaving like children. Spoiled ones.

"YOU'RE DEAD!!!" The leader bellows thrusting her hair forward, fangs ready to bite. At the same time green rings of energy rose from the earth around him while danmaku bullets are being shoot from everywhere.

So he jumps in the air. The leap brings him to a height of twenty meters before he draws his bow and molds a normal arrow with his prana instead of the energy version.

"If you are not willing to hear me out-" He draws back the string, his grip on the shaft just a bit off, and aims at the gawking leader.

"-I have no other choice but to force you." The arrow is shot. The projectile pierces the air with a whistle and in an almost a microsecond reaches the youkai...

SMACK!

"OUCH!"

...Before it spins and, instead of the head, hits the woman's forehead with the shaft.

Without pause Karna kicks the air and releases an explosion of flames to propel himself back to the ground. Landing a few meters from the still astonished opponents he shoots again.

"ARGH!" "ACK!" "OUCH!" "What the hell is-AUCH!" "AAH!"

This time the arrow repeats the previous one's feat of hitting the head from behind, before it continues spinning and ricocheting back and forth amidst the group, hitting many more heads in the process before returning to Karna. He catches it midair. "I have demonstrated the immeasurable abyss between my skills and yours. Was it a sufficient convincing show to make you accept my offer?"

The answer is a veritable rain of danmaku bullets, so dense it is like a solid wall falling on top of him.

Karna sighs. "No, no it wasn't." He casts away the normal arrow and prepare a energy one.

[ Five seconds later ]

The Hindu Hero calmly dismisses Vijaya and walks toward the group. The leader's torso is running through the trunk of a tree, the legs dangling uselessly, while the rest is sprawled around in a similar state of unconsciousness. Some are still burning.

There are only two people left: the one called Ayumi and another girl with short brown hair. Both are on their kneels, bowing repeatedly. "We surrender! We surrender! So please: stop hurting us!!" They cry.

Karna stops and regards them carefully. "Do you concede defeat and promise, both for yourself and in stead of your comrades, to let me complete my mission?"

"Of course! Of course!" Assures the brown haired girl. "We lost, no ifs and no buts! I will convince Ebihara-sama." She hesitates and points to the woman in the tree. "That's Ebihara-sama."

Karna nods. "Good. Though this does delay my mission, I must admit that I appreciate the opportunity you have provided me. I have encountered only one youkai in my stay here and am given to understand that she is not representative of your species." He adds after a second. "Of course I hold no grudge against you for the recent events. So be at ease."

"Thank you so much sir!" Ayumi smiles, her three tails moving up and down. She then cutely tilts her head. "Uh...you said one youkai, so you aren't referring to Biggs and Wedge?"

"Those two from before?" She nods. "Nay I met another before: she introduced herself as Yuuka Kazami."

"I see, you mean Kazami-sa-"

Karna has to concede it to the girl: she has a very healthy set of lungs. The other girl shrieks too, but not as much. They are now standing at least ten meters away, after an impressive display of superior speed, hugging each other, trembling and crying.

"K-K-K-Kazami? Yu-u-u-uka K-K-Kazami?!" Ayumi stutters in abject terror. "Oh Kami-sama! How are you still alive and not horribly maimed?"

"Well, she did attack me." Karna concedes, confused by their reaction. "But I was in the wrong for trespassing in her propriety, albeit unintentionally. But she was very cooperative: after I defeated her she offered me tea and information."

"Defeat her...and we tried to...Hideyoshi-chan, holds me: I faint." She then promptly does it.

"Ayumi-chan!" The now named Hideyoshi shakes her, but to no avail. "Muoooh, don't leave me alone to take care of the others!" She pouts.

Karna considers for a moment helping her, but then decides they call such punishment upon themselves with their actions. "I will be on my way. I was told that to reach the Moriya Shrine after entering the forest I need to find a river. Can you direct me to it?"

Hideyoshi looks up surprised before pointing to the road. "Sure. Just keep following the road and you will find it. So..." She fidgets. "We aren't going to die now?"

"Most certainly not." He blinks, confused. "Why do you ask such a question?"

"Nothing." She sighs, one hand over her chest. She looks up, eyes still watery but a soft smile on her lips. "I am Hideyoshi Kinoshita."

He claps his hands and nods. "Karna, son of Surya. May the Sun shine on your future fair maiden."

She frowns. "I am a boy."

Karna pauses and looks at the youkai again: soft and smooth skin, small hands, pointed chin, lithe shoulders and a hourglass figure.

Yet just now he(she?) didn't lie. The Heroic Spirit shrugs: stranger things happened to him. "My apologies. Farewell Hideyoshi Kinoshita." He turns around and walks away.

"Farewell Karna-dono." Hideyoshi waves back.

[*]

Ten minutes later Karna is still following the road, now in a part of the forest where the sun doesn't shine, when his sense of danger flares up.

"!" He ducks and avoids the wave of red and blue energy bullets.

"Get away..." From the pitch black foliage comes a distorted voice. "The mountain is no place for mortals..."

Another wave: Karna dodges and hides behind a large tree. 'The direction of the shots...they are using the darkness to conceal their movements. But I already determined the point of origin.'

[] Write in.

15. Alexander

"I am the heroic spirit Karna, son of the god Surya from which all light flows." Karna announces loudly to ensure his voice could be heard. Instantly the barrage of blue and red danmaku bullets cease and silence descends over the forest: a minor divine power many Demi-Gods inherit from their Celestial parents, when they announce themselves anyone in earshot stops what they are doing and listen.

While the voice was distorted he didn't detect any ill intent. So it's likely the owner of said voice is only trying to help. Understandably with the Mountain being the home of many youkai it's considered dangerous for mortals. But he barely remembers a time where he thought himself mortal. "I come seeking an audience with the divine masters of the Moriya shrine."

"Son of a God? Surya? Never heard of it." The voice sounds confused and skeptical and resumes its assault. "You are lying. It's definitely a lie! Get away!"

"I never lie." Karna calmly declares a little peeved, but the rain of bullets doesn't stop. He isn't angry for the mysterious voice's dismissal, nor for its poor manners or about how it failed to recognize its clearly inhuman nature. It took great and terrible acts like his sons' death for him to truly feel anger.

But this attacker is proving to be an obstacle on the path to complete his quest. Therefore he, who is bound by his sworn word, will do all it needed to be done to complete his task.

He once became Evil for the sake of friendship and Destiny. While such measures are unnecessary now, even he can be unforgiving. "Don't hold against me what I am about to do." He warns it, before softly chanting the mantra to use the Wings of Aruna.

The next instant Karna jumps out and runs toward the last place he sensed the presence.

A wall of homing danmaku greets its charge. But just before they hit him his figure explodes in a fiery conflagration of light and fire, burning away the bullets like autumn leaves drifting in the wind. From within the inferno Karna towards the skies, his body enveloped in a cloak of fire, the great wings on his back propelling him forwards at a speed so great it resembles a golden bullet of light.

"WWAAAA!!" The mysterious voice cries out in surprise and fear, dropping her attack. And revealing its position. Karna shoots forward in a straight line, burning everything in his path be it tree or leaves, and finds the owner of the voice hovering over a large tree.

'It' is a young woman. She has aquamarine eyes and hair, decorated at the top with a very long red and white bow. Part of her hair is tied under her chin with a shorter bow. She wears a red dress with white frills on the bottom and an enormous white kerchief around the neck; on the left side of it is embroidered a big aquamarine swirl. She also wears knee-length black boots.

"Wa-wa-" She stutters. Her current expression is frightened and clearly disbelieving.

Karna stops in front of her and crosses his arms over his chest. His cold gaze screams disapproval. "What I have told you was the truth. I am no longer mortal, so your warning is not applicable. I hope I convinced you of it. Don't hinder my path further."

She straightens up and points a finger in Karna's direction. "O-Okay, I get it. Even then I can't let you pass. Don't you know it's dangerous?"

"I was warned, yes." He nods. "But I will not let that knowledge stop me."

"From here on begins the world where the Gods live." She gestures at the forest and mountain behind her. "Every misfortune will befall you. It's my job to collect it before it can brings disasters."

"A laudable task. But it is precisely because it is where Gods live that I must go. Regardless of the consequences." Like the curse he received from the Goddess Bhoomidevi: she was certainly right in chastising him for harming the Earth for the sake of a mere child, but Karna never regretted it. True the child's wish was selfish, but who was he to judge? When someone spoke the true desire of their heart, what can he do but answer it with his entire being?

"Don't be so stubborn. Geez..." She pouts. Suddenly her expression brightens up: with her right hand she reaches inside a pocket of her dress and produces a card. "Then what about a Duel? If I win you will go away."

"And if victory is mine I am free to go?" She nods. Karna considers it carefully: his mission is important, but he has committed himself to follow the rules of Gensokyo. Breaking them would be a terrible violation of Dharma. 'In this case, all I need to do is to win.' "I hereby accept your challenge." He holds out his open hand and materialize his own card. "Like I said, I am Karna, son of Surya. What is the name of my opponent?"

"Hina Kagiyama. Three Spell Cards each, 99 second time limit: the first to hit the adversary three times is the winner. Acceptable?"

He doesn't have the necessary experience to judge her choice, but he doesn't believe Hina Kagiyama is trying to set unfavorable conditions for him. "Acceptable."

Duel: On!
    [] Decide how you want to begin the duel.
    ----

The Spell Cards available are those in the character sheet. If you want to use new one they need to be submitted and approved by me.

Are you a real "Touhou"? Let's find out :cool:

16. Alexander

"Let's start!" Hina Kagiyama shouts. Following those words the Demi-God feels a shift in the magic surrounding the area, like the piece of a puzzle fell just into the right place. 'The Danmaku rules most likely.' He thinks, impressed by the immense time and effort that must have been required to create, power and maintain such a complex enchantment.

'But this isn't the time for that.' Shaking his head he swiftly retreats to increase the distance between him and his opponent. It would be unwise, with it being his first real experience at Danmaku, to change forward blindly without knowing his foe's strength. For now he will observe and get accustomed to this new form of combat.

"Running already?" Hina taunts and, upon spinning on herself, unleashes a barrage of blue and red square-shaped bullets.

But their double spiral-like patter proves no match for Karna: after only two seconds of dodging he has memorized it already. And so he starts using only the minimal movements required to avoid being it. Another thing he notices is the fact the bullets pass through his wings, like they aren't even there, without triggering any form of response. 'Does this mean only a specific area is recognized as the target?' He muses. 'This needs a test.'

"You're good! But it's useless if the only thing you do is dodging! Flawed Sign: [Broken Amulet]!"

She spins again and shoots a barrage of red oval-shaped bullets. They form a circular shape before scattering in a rain of seemly random traits. Behind them Hina waits for a few seconds before unleashing another identical barrage. For many it would be a rain of death which offers no hope of escape.

For Karna it is a brilliant display of skills and artistry. For he is the Son of the Sun God Surya, the All-seeing Heavenly Eye. He was granted many opportunities and gifts so that he could see the world as it was and grasp the true nature of those who inhabit it.

And so he sees it. The hidden pattern of his opponent's move. There are actual gaps in the walls of bullets, always at least one way with enough space between them for a nimble opponent with enough skill to dart through it. And it is deliberate: It would be easy to close all avenues of dodging, but the real purpose here is not to kill the enemy, it's to crush his spirit with a display of superior skills.

Competitions like this are familiar to Karna. Memories of one in particular surfaces to his mind: even after winning he was refused the prize and the public acknowledgment, but he gained a kingdom and, the most important thing, a friend. His best friend. Even now, after all the tragedies and hardships he suffered, he doesn't regret meeting him. At all.

Deciding to test his early theory he extends a finger and grazes one of the flying bullets. No response. This time he puts his finger in a direct path.

Crash!

A strange sound loudly echoes, even as the bullet disintegrate against his touch. "Ah! The first hit is mine!" Hina declares joyously.

"I see." Suddenly Karna break the standstill and flies higher in the sky with such speed it's like he teleported. "The 'target' is my body and nothing else." He calmly declares to a stupefied Hina. "While Spell Cards whose patterns cannot be escaped are forbidden. This poses the question..."

He smiles. For him it's a smile of confidence, but in Hina's eyes it shows only cold cruelty. "What happens when I attack with more than a simple Spell Card? Let's find out." A card materializes in his left hand, while his bow appears in his right one. "Allow me to show you my full might for the sake of crushing you." He raises the card above his head. "Astra Sign: [Indrastra]!"

Mandalas of Sanskrit symbols cover the sky and let loose a rain of blue bullets. To dodge them the Collector of Misfortune is forced to interrupt her Spell Card. "What was that? Full might?" She smugly says as she nimbly flies amidst the barrage. "This Spell Card is not bad, but it's too straightforward!"

"I know." Karna dashes to the side and starts firing flaming arrows. Their circular position means that, while fast, they could still be dodged.

But...when the target also has to dodge [Indastra], then the difficulty raises exponentially!

"EEK!" Even then Hina somehow manages to avoid being hit. Until, to dodge an arrow, she is forced to come closer to a tree at the same time one of the blue bullets hits it. The next instant she is hit from behind from the corona of lesser Danmaku released from the point of impact.

"AAH!" Crash!

"A point for me." Karna says with a smile.

Choose your next action.
    [X] Continue with [Indastra].
    [] Switch to a different Spell Card.
    [] Stop and see what your opponent does next.
    [] Write in.

----

Urgh. Writing danmaku battles is harder than I imagined. I'm more at ease with close combat than long range one. Please wait until I get better.

17. Alexander

Karna nods approvingly, mentally reciting a prayer of thanks to Indra for the help given. Now Hina Kagiyama and him are even, but with two more points necessary for victory it would be unwise to let the initiative go back to his foe. His mind works at a composed but steady pace: reviewing all information accumulated up until now, correcting false assumptions, comparing patterns to the Astra battles he was used to and predicting the necessary steps for the development most favorable to himself.

He focus on a certain projection, feeling the signs of Truth from it. Upon careful considerations the feeling is confirmed. The path towards victory is chosen.

Just as a single well placed pebble can divert the flow of a river, so too does your arrow redirect the rain.

The Spell Card Indrasta has scored his first point of this match. Yet was this not a battle of spirit as well, a demonstration of sublime skill to make combat beautiful and defeat one's foe's spirit? The Will of Lord Indra made manifest is not yet done: 50 seconds have passed, the Spell card will cease after 49 seconds.

Sufficient.

As Indra's unceasing rain surrounds Karna, the representation of the vigorous rain that brought yearly the much needed water to his country, the Son of the Sun God offers another prayer to the Lord of the Devas before carefully taking aim and firing another flaming arrow.

The projectile travels through the air leaving behind embers until it hits not Hina, but a seemingly random bullet. When they make contact contrary to normal neither of the two broke, their bodies grazing each other just enough to cause both to divert from their original course. The arrow falls in an empty direction, while the blue bullet...

Launches straight towards Hina’s position in the air.

“Why YooOOUUU!” She shouts as she evades with a spinning motion and release hordes of bullets in response.

The Demi-god flies like a comet of fire over the battlefield, evading enemy danmaku and firing arrows with unerring precision. The blue bullets he hits no longer fall straight down but are directed towards his foe. Every arrow he fires guides the storm of bullets like reins guide a chariot as the storm seeks to entrap and strike his opponent.

Yet even if he could easily predict Hina’s movements and cause the bullets to hit the place when she will be, he limits himself to aim only to the place where she is the moment he releases the arrow. Because the former would be a sure hit and thus not allowed.

There is etiquette even during war. For him, a warrior from an ancient culture where rigid protocol regulated every aspect of life to ensure the Soul would not be stained with bad Karma, following the rules appropriate for every situation was infinitely more important than victory.

For every event and result in life was determined before birth by Dharma, while the role of humans is to act in harmony with the laws of the Gods to elevate their soul further on the road to Enlightenment.

Crash!

Just as the timer is reaching zero Hina Kagiyama finally missteps, causing a bullet to hit her arm. Pleased with the result Karna dispels Indastra, once again thanking Indra for his help. However, just like the time he received his first Spell Card there is a bright light and a new card appears.

The picture shows the mandalas raining danmaku of Indastra, with Karna at the center with bow outstretched launching flaming arrows at the viewer.

The name is....

[] Choose a name for the new Spell Card.
    [X] Let the GM thinks of one.

The Curse Goddess is gaping and pointing a trembling finger at the Demi-God. “Did you...did you just create a new Spell Card mid-duel?!?”

“Yes, this is what I believe happened.” Karna answers before dematerializing the card.

“That’s impossible!”

“Yet it happened.” He counters. “I understand that the Danmaku system prevents cheating, thus mine was recognized as a legal move. Two Cards for me, one for you. Your turn, Hina Kagiyama.”

She scowls, but then her face shifts into cold determination. “I underestimated you. My mistake, I admit it.” From her sleeves she takes out a card. “You stated the blood of the Gods flows in your veins. If that is the truth overcome this Spell Card and prove it to me!”

Fate [Old Lady Ohgane's Fire]!

Concentric wheels of glowing red bullets are released, slowly but surely covering the entire sky to bear down on Karna.

Choose your next action.
    [X] Select a Spell Card (remaining: 1)
    [] Evade until the time run out.
    [] Try to score the decisive hit, even if it forces you to take risks.
    [] Write in.

-----

Did you missed me? Of course you missed me! This should have be done by Friday. RL is hard.

Bullets only Danmaku battlles are very hard. I can't wait for the more "fighting games" ones.

18. Alexander

The New Spell Card will be named:[X] Indastra Tūfān: [March of the Storm]
    ----

As the Son of the Sun God dodges danmaku upon danmaku, steadily getting used to their patterns, instead of attacking he addresses Hina Kagiyama. "You said that to prove I am indeed of Divine origins I must overcome this Spell Card. But, this is not your strongest move, isn't it?"

Hina's lips twitch.

"Now that I think about it, you are holding back since the very beginning." It isn't a question, but a statement. "This is because your aim was never to defeat me. Instead you wanted to test me."

He rolls before flying in the sky backwards, his eyes never leaving Hina's. "You only needed to confirm that I am skilled enough to win against those on the mountain who may wish me harm."

Karna spreads his arms. "Indeed, there wasn't and there still isn't any hostility in your actions. You were never against me traversing. But for my sake you had to ascertain my strength."

Hina's lips slowly turn upward. "This must be...screw it, this is the first time someone understands it without me explaining. Usually they all bull-head forward once they see a challenge. What gave me away?"

"Very little." Karna says while still dodging. "But in my life I had many occasions to inquire the virtue and nature of humans. As such I gained experience into recognizing the true motivations of those I meet."

"So a sixth sense. Thanks Kami he isn't like the Satori..." She whispers the last part. "Knowing this, what will you do?"

The only true response to any and all tests." Vijaya appears in his hand. "I will do my best."

His free hand forms a mudra, his mouth quickly chanting as an arrow made of healthy brown light forms on the bow. He draws the string back and aim it at Hina.

"Bring it on!" She shouts in challenge as the rain of danmaku intensify.

"Parvatastra."

A large number of brown light bullets appear around the target, before speeding inwards towards the central point.

A mountain rose.

[*]

"Aah, I lost." Hina grumbles.

The Curse Goddess did well handling the Spell Card in the first part, but made the mistake of keeping close to the mountain of danmaku. In the end she was caught by surprise when the mountain broke.

She and Karna are back on the ground. "Did I pass then?" He asks.

"With flying colors." She smiles. "I'm curious and all, considering you're a new face here in Gensokyo and all that, but...I won't pry. Not this time." She holds out a hand. "Good luck on your quest."

Karna stares. "Is this a custom of this land? I am sorry, but I don't know what I should do now."

Hina's smile falters. "Er, it's a handshake. It's made to greet each other. You take my hand with yours and shake it slightly."

"I see." Karna takes Hina's hand. However, the moment they make contact....

"Oh!" The Goddess' mouth opens in a 'O' of surprise and shock. "You have a very powerful curse on you! Wait, let me remove it." She closes her eyes and concentrate, both hands grasping Karna's own.

However, as time passes a look of dismay falls on her face. "I-I can't? I can't remove it? Why? That never happened to me before. What kind of curse is this?"

Karna understands. "Do not worry. I appreciate your attempt to help, but I fear the curse you are talking about will never be removed. It's okay though, I deserve it."

"W-What did you do?"

Karna looks up at the sky somberly. "I told a lie without knowing I wasn't saying the truth." He starts to walk away. "Farewell Hina Kagiyama. May we meet again in more favorable circumstances."

"..Farewell Karna." Hina whispers, feeling for the first time in her life as if she failed her duty.

Her eyes then harden. "As if."

[*]

Karna finally reaches the river that will guide him further towards the Moriya Shrine. Just in time, but not for the same reason.

As the son of the Sun he doesn't need to look up at the sky to know the position of the celestial body, the knowledge is constantly within himself.

The Celestial Body is at its zenith. Noon. The proper time for Karna to worship his heavenly father and pray. But to do that he needs to perform a ritual ablution.

The Demi-God dips a hand into the water and nods in approval. "The water is pure." Astralizing his armor he steps naked into the river, sits down and begin his bath.

[*]

Nitori Kawashiro slightly bites her lips.

Some minutes ago her instruments detected an unknown presence near the Kappa's village. Thinking it was a human who got lost she decided to investigate and eventually drive them away. For the human's own good of course.

What she found was a (handsome) man with the most fearsome of glares taking a bath in the river. Now, normally that would be just an interesting fact but not something that would prevent her from doing her duty.

Except, now that she was close her energy scanner shows the mysterious man possesses an astronomical amount of power. Helpless wanderer, he wasn't.

So not knowing what to do she hid nearby, invisible thanks to her improved optical camoflauge suit, and started observing the stranger via binoculars.

'What to do...what to do...' She mumbles in her head, eyes never taking off from the stranger. And never noticing the increasing blush forming on her face.

Focused as she is she fails to realize the stranger was finishing his bath. So, when he stands up....

Nitori sees everything.

"EEEEEKKKKK!!!!"

[*]

"EEEEEKKKKK!!!!"

Hearing the scream Karna reacts in a heartbeat, his armor reforming around his body as he sprints towards the direction the sound came forth. For it wasn't a sign of danger, but the scream of someone in great distress.

However, what he finds...is not what he expected.

"...?" Silently he tilts his head, eyes staring at the form on the ground. It's a short young girl with blue hair and blue eyes, wearing an equally blue dress with lots of pockets, a green hat and a large backpack on her shoulders.

She's also unconscious, face blushing furiously with a trail of drool dripping from her mouth.

"I wonder what caused her to faint like this?" It doesn't appear there are threats around, so it couldn't be fear. Walking back to the river he scoops up water with his hands and, upon returning to the girl's side, gently spills it upon the girl's face.

"Puah!" Nitori sputters as she wakes up. "W-What happened..?"

"Are you alright?" Karna asks, looking down on her.

"EEEEKKK!!!!"

With another impressive scream the Kappa crawls backward until she hits a boulder.

"P-P-Please wait!" Her breath rate increases. "My body...my body isn't ready!"

It doesn't happen often, but Karna is confused. "I just want to know if you are fine..."

"Aahhh..." Nitori wraps her arms around herself and looks away, eyes closed. "Oto-sama, Oka-sama: forgive me. Nitori...Nitori is going to become a woman!"

He tries asking his mental source of information: nothing.

However, before he could ask a clarification directly from the source his ears catch something. He looks up and see a flying figure quickly descending towards them. Reacting on instinct he summons his spear.

Just in time for a massive sword, wielded by a girl dressed in white with a wolf's ears and tail, to slam into it.

"STEP AWAY FROM NITORI YOU DAMN RAPIST!!" The new girl roars in rage.

"Momiji-chan!" The blue haired girl shouts.

'....I think there is a misunderstanding.'

[] What do you do?
    ----

You can start posting now, or just commenting. Know however that I will not update until I finished or put on hiatus one of the two quests I am currently running on QQ.

BlackThief12, Argentum, D-san and 7 others like this.
  19. Sunhawk

Sunhawk Versed in the lewd.

A hilarious read so far; to be Karna is... well, he *is* canonically in the Lancer class :p

So indeed to be Karna is suffering.

Mizuki_Stone likes this.
  20. cross_grave

cross_grave Belligerent Spitire

Well, this is going to escalate badly, I can tell.

[X] Attempt to explain yourself. Tell the wolf girl that you were cleansing yourself before praying when you heard a scream, and found a passed-out girl that acted in a confusing manner upon waking up. Block or evade in case she continues the assault, do not strike back. You mean no harm and you're willing to prove it.

21. ShadowAngelBeta

ShadowAngelBeta Well worn.

[X] Attempt to explain yourself. Tell the wolf girl that you were cleansing yourself before praying when you heard a scream, and found a passed-out girl that acted in a confusing manner upon waking up. Block or evade in case she continues the assault, do not strike back. You mean no harm and you're willing to prove it.

Did we get summoned by Amaterasu? Or one of her... avatars anyway? There aren't many people who can fill the "feels like Sunya, but Female and Kind and Proud" requirement and be powerful enough to summon a full-power heroic spirit as well, so... ?

22. cross_grave

cross_grave Belligerent Spitire

Hmm. Maybe? Not sure why or how she'd be involved in Gensokyo, though. For a moment I was wondering whether it might be the Yatagarasu, but that one got eaten by Utsuho and is currently serving as a power source for her.

23. Sunhawk

Well, that *would* be a situation to hit a metaphorical panic button and scream "help me!"...

24. ShadowAngelBeta

ShadowAngelBeta Well worn.

Well... Japanese mythology is more than a little weird. Amaterasu isn't just the Sun Goddess, she's the Goddess of the Heavenly Wheel. The Sky, The Sun, The Stars, and The Night Sky... I think anyway. She's listed as the Great Kami of The Sun and Universe and I've heard her get called the Kami of The Heavenly Wheel a few time which implies all the other stuff I mentioned as well, so... *Shrug*

Another possibility, that I want to kick myself for forgetting, is Ame-no-Uzume, Goddess of The Dawn. She's still a Great Kami though and its more than a little worrying that someone could block one of them from interfering. On the other hand if Celestial Bureaucracy is a thing, maybe it isn't so much.

If it isn't Celestial Bureaucracy though that means its either a collection of pretty powerful Kami, with a puppet-master controlling all of them because we have a singular Him to stop, a Great Kami, Susanoo's always been an asshole as far as I can tell, and Orochi never seems to actually die... Too many to really guess right now I suppose.

Very little to a lot actually. Like I said above, Celestial Bureaucracy might be a thing, so her hands, or whoever summoned us, could be tied in terms of being able to actually step in. If it isn't though... Well I gave some examples above. Ryukuza Quest on 4chan has a God/Kami of Destruction waking up, although Amaterasu is pushing for this rather than against it for... very understandably reasons, so that could be a thing, only its a bad thing here.

25. Emral282

Emral282 Touch Fluffy Tail

Nice to see this still around.

26. Introspective Tinkerer

Introspective Tinkerer Searching for their Answer

27. Yzarc

Yzarc The Spark of Madness

28. Sunhawk

[J] Avoid, grab her and toss her lightly onto her friend before tying them up with some rope just conveniently lying around. Explanation is easier if they aren't trying to gut you...

29. Hextroyer413

Hextroyer413 Not too sore, are you?

Finally Karna quest is sorta kinda back!

30. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian