1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice

The Reluctant Hero (RWBY SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by JBukharin, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Threadmarks: Chapter 1: Road to NOT end the world!
    JBukharin

JBukharin Signer of the Totalist Charter

The wonderful aspect of a reluctant hero is that he or she doesn't have to adhere to any stereotype, such as being incredibly strong or a trained kung-fu master. These can be average guys off the street; indeed, it's often their simple, homespun down-to-earth thinking that saves the day. This ordinariness is an important factor in allowing the audience to understand and bond with the hero.

- Quote from The Art of Game Characters, by Leo Artas.

Prologue: Memento Auctoris

I need to ask out of morbid curiosity and intrigue:

Do you know about those stories where people get sent to other worlds; these places that you think are fiction and well-contained within ink, bytes or even spoken words but eventually turns out that those are actually true, just for the sake of some cosmic mission ‘only you’ can deal with?

That is something that always hits people with a sense of reluctant interest but genuine crave: escapism in its sweetest form, the kind of drug that no matter how addictive it is, you have to make use of it for the sake of having some peace in life..

But sometimes escapism isn't as good as we hope, the bleach we ingest the moment we realize that reality will still find a way to make us all miserable is there to keep us from floating too far from the land and right into the scorching sun.

Sometimes the very journey is what makes us feel the worst as we could be detained from our world, kidnapped merely on the whim of some lazy deity with no compassion.

Just give empty words of encouragement, sprinkle in some super-power, and the meat-puppets start to dance like demented madmen.

Am I making sense with these words?

Obviously no one cares about the protagonist, they care about the actions they take, the words that are provided to make them realistic to the naked eye and... I am incredibly tired.

Sometimes no one wants the isekai, either because the genre turns stale once in a while or because people build up on some emotionless shield for this kind of stuff, dulled by the over-saturation of the stories of freedom and undeniable friendship. A need to preserve what is past, what was good and worth of cherish.

Am I making sense with these words?

...Maybe I am. But in the moment of agony that follows the sense of crude realization, the dread that ever-consumes the sanity of someone that merely doesn't care... words stop making sense.

Chapter 1: Road to NOT end the world!

That is why when I woke up in some shady alley in Mistral, Remnant (The world of RWBY for Pete's sake!), I was quite demoralized by what was going on.

I was quick to remember the things I left undone back home and the lack of a need to escape from the real world eventually caught up with the childish awe and wonder of being somewhere far from my daily troubles.

Imagine my discomfort when I learned I was now going to eventually die.

The kind of death that is not bestowed upon those who had their bodies destroyed, obliterated, or butchered by battles or anything even so closely mundane, but the one of the mind, of the ever-so-frail soul.

When I quickly noticed the whispering in my head, I recognized Ozpin questioning my current whereabouts.

I felt nauseated at the mere idea of what I was supposed to face if things were as dreadful as I thought them to be.

The Wizard lived, he survived cycles of life while the previous host's soul wouldn’t because of some Godly curse.

When would it happen, when would the bitter and cruel toll come to pass?

I didn't know, I wasn’t sure of it, but at least I found minor relief it wasn't an innocent fifteen years old Oscar Pine that was going to face the tribulations of this sickening predicament at hand.

The numbness create by the absurd situation vanished the very moment I felt the first drops of the rain starting to fall calmly around me, droplets reaching my skin and ‘waking’ me up from my quiet turmoil.

My body was getting cold as I was wearing light clothing and it was easy to get the chills already from just staying in that very place.

I also blamed my introverted lifestyle as I was used to some kind of warmth normal of living in a modest house but...

I was fine.

The three words that made the world go ‘round.

We are all fine.

And I can’t stop here.

I bet whoever left me in this predicament expects me to merrily go on the jolly path to Canon, to face the great threats placed by Salem along the way, maybe even clash with the two idiotic deities waiting by the end.

Or even let those Gods kill everyone by rekindling humanity’s cycle once more.

When the discovery over what was by the end reached my ears, that the protagonists were hellbent to reunite the relics despite the underline threat composed by the divine beings so greedily waiting to return, I couldn’t help but be disgusted by how hopeless a journey of that kind would be.

Yet, among the disappointment and the dread, I was so sure of a very little detail, something that many could see as a panicked thought or a terrible realization of the world.

But I will not commit a genocide.

I will not partake in any mass-murdering for the sake of someone being unable to face their ex-wife with normal procedures, because he failed to intervene when needed.

A spineless coward that used humanity by manipulating them all to rush and die in front of an enemy that could easily be contained.

We don’t need to kill her. Just… keep her from hurting anyone.

That is why a new resolve started to build up as I walked out from the darkness of the alley where I woke up into, my mind set to walk away from Haven and out of Mistral.

I could feel something lashing furiously within my core, trying to push me out and steal the control over my body and... failing in this miser process.

I was surprised and… flattered that I could see something as horrifying as possession failing with me of all people.

I didn’t need a centuries-old mastermind taking over the very things I had left to use in this world, my body and soul.

I was defenseless, no weapons nor anything that could be used to fend off against any of the threats lurking in this kingdom.

Grimm and bandits, of monsters and men.

Still I couldn’t help but consider why Ozpin was failing against my resilience, maybe it was because Oscar and other previous hosts had been unaware of the Wizard’s slow grip into their defenses, in an attempt to fully takeover their bodies one step at the time, but I was fully aware, conscious and quite opposed to it.

So when I felt him still trying to get a grip over my soul... I just shook him off.

It was abstract, it was like something pull at myself but slowly being yanked away from conceiving more unnerving emotions with his effort.

While this might sound overly-simple and particularly little-described, I was surprised a bit myself over the easy process too as I certainly didn’t expect to brush him off this easily.

His voice turned into a whisper, possibly because this first attempt may have been a drain on his already-limited reserves.

I smiled at the small victory and my mind sounding clearer than before as I finally walked out of the city, my eyes glancing at the small signpost few meters away from the path I was walking through.

I blinked, surprise lifting once more from my core.

Oniyuri - 10km

Oh joy, I was going to have quite the march in front of me considering that there was so much to do in that distinct section of the world.

From this point onward, I decided to tune out my usual negativity for the sake of survival, just to give myself an advantage of not getting stalked by any Grimm wandering the lands.

How did I manage this immense issue, considering how slightly nervous I felt over the sudden shift to Remnant?

When I start to sing calmly something that is as good as it is positive, my mind switches to a more cheerful mood and I wasn’t certainly settling for something casual.

So, picking up the pace and smiling tentatively, I started to hum the marching song and then...

I was singing loudly while increasing my pace to a jogging one, completely whisking away my sense of self-preservation and my worries, just to have something to break the nerve-wracking development.

What a strange day to be alive.

After half an hour of exhausting my knowledge of marching songs into this little experience, I finally reached my destination.

Soon I found myself staring at a distant settlement in the horizon and I started to analyze the predicament before me.

If I had to be honest, Oniyuri wasn't certainly a place I was particularly acknowledged about, my limited info being that it was used as the battleground for the little skirmish of RNJR + Qrow versus Tyrian.

Maybe I should have picked the known trail of villages ‘explored’ by the series and risked an encounter with RNJR... then maybe get shafted because Ozpin would be able to do something with that situation.

The fear of getting caught, of being forced to follow through with their silly attempt against Salem, was unacceptable for my fervent sense of making things right by my own opinion.

No Gods. No Ozpin and no Salem.

I wanted things to be whole once more without any grand players ruining the immense potential that Remnant could achieve if left alone from external threats/helpers.

I wanted to make humanity survive the incoming storm and...

And I seriously wanted to destroy the silly mentality that those Dumbledore-lookalikes are the only ones capable of subverting the chess board to their advantage.

No more chess for y’all.

Play some fun checkers without using your tactics on real people.

I had avoided all contact with the inhabitants of the small city I woke up in and I was thankful that I spared the smallest of glances to memorize their features.

Just a reminder, I repeated within my mind as I continued to ignore the ranting of the manipulator within my skull, to remember that I was in the right, that I had a lone duty for those people.

No one above my head or station telling me what to do.

Just poor, little me and my idea of salvation.

Was I being egocentric? Just a little, but who isn't in this story?

Who is really the protagonist here? Ruby? Jaune? ZWEI?!

Actually, speaking of protagonist-related issues, it was genuinely unnerving how the path I had taken had been lacking any sort of... monstrous obstacles.

Maybe it was because I was walking in an open field, a place where ambushes were pretty much useless for simple-minded creatures like the Grimm or maybe...

Maybe Salem was playing her strategies like chess too, giving a bare freedom to her ‘children’.

It would explain how and why only a few zones were considered dangerous and why those were places with a high number of hunters. Like Huntsmen Academies.

That would explain the Emerald Forest but... meh.

There was too little to truly say what was the cause of the quite uneventful trip and frankly-speaking, I loved being this lucky once in a while at the beginning of this journey without jinxing myself out of boredom.

Speaking of deserted places and desolate ruins, Oniyuri looked every bit like a real ghost town from Earth… if said ghost town was mostly modern to look at.

No Grimm, no humans and I hardly doubt there were any bandits hanging around for some looting of the supplies left around by the citizens here.

As I entered the place, I could feel the absurdity of my current predicament slam onto my brain once more as I was faced with such silence and lack of life.

I could try to raid this settlement and get something from the place, being that I was quite alone and far too weak compared to a large majority of battle-hardened criminals roaming Mistral and I wouldn’t be incorrect to think of myself as ‘irrelevant’ in the current table of things.

I was quite sure that the only reason Salem knew about Ozzie’s whereabouts was all because of her connection (and abuse) with Lionheart(‘s coward sense of self-preservation).

Without that element, my current situation was effectively unknown to the Witch and her clique, thus denying her the means to give me any issues for the time being.

The only bad thing was that I was effectively deprived of any means of communicating with people without having to deal with the chance getting noticed by her.

So I was pretty much stuck in forced isolation for the sake of survival for the time being.

What a good way to die...

Yet my overly-positive thoughts were instantly crushed the moment I reached a large, warehouse-like building and opened its tall doors.

The metal groaned, some of the debris were trying to stop its opening but it was already… done.

Oh… Oh my...

I walked inside and then close to one of the seemingly infinite crates filling the storage space of this place, blinking numbly at the words written on the visible tag: "7.62mm."

The following two minutes were spent looking left and right at the various tags visible by the wooden boxes.

There were Dust crystals, ammunition, some standard guns, several assault rifles and two snipers, and several crates with food, clothes and medical equipment.

Did I just stumble into heaven?

I mean, I couldn't see any junkfood around but... I could live with the steaks preserved in simple plastic bags and some water bottles inside some of the open boxes.

Part of me questioned the possibility of ditching my mission to 'save the world' and just settle there until I had the resources to survive.

I could live off of what was here, even start some small plantation of tomatoes and apples with the more than enough seeds in the warehouse.

But then I would be too entrenched to escape a surprise assault from Salem, which would be a terrible idea whatsoever.

While the woman was currently unaware of my whereabouts, she was still capable of launching a full scouting operation with Nevermores and land-type Grimm to search the entirety of the world.

Considering that it was her ditching husband we were talking about, I could see her take some dangerous steps for the sake of finding where I was.

It was best for me to leave the place as fast as possible... but I would have to also ditch most of the delightful things there.

It was in that moment that I felt an annoying sparkle blinding me.

It was coming from the window reach my eyes and, just as I turned to see the cause of this unholy and unneeded light I found quite the novelty waiting outside the warehouse.

It was a truck, nothing particularly recognizable from one from back home but it had the big frame only a truck could have considering its cargo section.

Some bits looked to have rusted over the time spent there but it seemed to be still in working order.

Wasting no time in ogling this old beauty, I walked outside to check if it still had some fuel and-

Yep, it was ready to go.

The fuel tank was surprisingly full and it seemed that nothing from the long-time spent idle there had ruined the highly-flammable liquid.

Before trying to do anything else over the matter, I decided to give a quick look around the proximity of the building as the sudden suspicion that someone could still be around and could be waiting to ambush me.

An ugly theory born from my genuine Stalin-like paranoia.

I sighed in relief when my brief patrol found no one around, thus confirming that the area lacked any dangerous ‘owners’ living nearby.

The cool engine was further evidence that the vehicle had been unused for God(s) knows how much time.

My mood improved even more as I found the trailer empty and ready to be filled with what I needed to load it with for my little trip to escape Mistral.

Rolling up my sleeves, I went back inside the warehouse and started to push the first crate outside, huffing a little as the workout was something that I wasn’t accustomed to.

My new plan was to get the heck away from that place with most of the crates in tow.

It took me around four hours of tiring moving to get every single wooden box inside the cargo, taking a few breaks along the way as my body was not prepared for the little labor it had to go through.

Lazy and introverted, what can I say other than this?

Taking a seat by the driver’s seat, I started the vehicle by using the key already plugged in and I was delighted by sound of the engine showing life at the powering up.

A smile finally crept out of my depression-induced scowly mask as the engine didn't fuss too much over the renewed activity.

Actually, it started to purr eagerly at being awakened once more.

It would seem that today was my lucky day!

As I moved out the truck from the small alley beside the warehouse, I steered it towards the main road that led right to the southern entrance of the settlement, ready to properly start my bizarre trip across Mistral and into Vale.

I was seriously hoping that things would continue this smoothly, that I wouldn’t find anyone in my path out of the ‘danger zone’ and right into a proper danger zone, thus instead of keeping silence, I tuned in the radio and was blasted with some… Atlesian dubstep music?!

Still, I was certainly delighted by the lack of unnerving quiet and...

But seriously, how should I have known that I had two intruders aboard at the time!?

AN

This is important as it will underline the tones of this story. While Ozpin is lurking within my mind and I woke up in Mistral...the 'when' is NOT the one everyone thinks it is. Expect some early angst, an incredible show of camping skills and life-long path for a different story.

Still! The bets for who is hiding in the truck are on! Who will make the right guess?

Diary of a Straight Dude is going to be continued but... this story will serve to show something else. The reason that story was created was because of my inner need to explain the crappiness of a story with quick pairings, lacking explanations about their existence.

This one? This is going to be the real deal: crude and pretty!

Lastly, this protagonist is ME! Finally the author is thrown in the fray to deal with the madness of true SI. Reasons behind my attitude will be given along the way and.. I will not answer any question about it. It's already planned to be given in the form of chapter so... meh.

P.S. I admit there is somekind of inspiration from Coeur Al'aran 'Relic of the Future', but I am not copying from it. Quite the opposite if I have to be honest and... next chapter will shed some light around my mysterious tones. (I know, cliffhangers are bad and I hate leaving cliffhangers, but it will be a fun ride!)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  2. Threadmarks: Live and Let Live (1)
    JBukharin

Every day above ground is a good day.– Tony Montana

Chapter 2: Live and Let Live (1)

It's been several hours since I left Oniyuri and the muddy trail I was driving through was starting to get annoying-

*Bump*

I scowled as the truck found another hole in the ground, my nerves unwilling to let go of that forebonding sense of dread that was starting to be noticeably influencing my features.

The sky had started to darken up and the lack of a proper illumination along the path was adding up with my already rusty driving skills.

Sure, I knew how to properly drive old stuff with manual gearboxes but my capacity lied only on normal cars as I have never needed to use a truck in my life.

Uneasiness about possible major differences between the two kinds of vehicles slowly unraveled the moment I found no particular issue with my current disposition.

Now that I was driving straight lines and not trying to turn crazy corners I was fine, but I was starting to get annoyed the barely visible track.

The headlights gave me a limited glimpse of the road ahead but I was worried of ending up to attract Grimm with my ever-growing distress.

*Bump*

I scowled again, this time barely caring for the umpteenth hole trying to bruise the tires but thankfully failing to accomplish that. My attention moved to the small radio device built-in the truck.

It was curiosity that urged me to see what kind of programs were in Remnant and to see how the world was faring with Beacon's fall.

So I turned it on and-

"Mistral Grand Museum opens a new gallery for the 'Kestrel Renaissance' this Tuesday-"

I sighed as I could barely digest art-related news of this kind, but much to my chagrin the following five channels were still about the Musem's gallery or some interviews with some artist.

I had thought that Mistral would have been more concerned about Vale having fallen to the Grimm-

"General Feldgrau has finally announced that the Vytal Festival will be held in Atlas just like the Vytal Commission had requested early this year. The Atlesian Council-"

...Wasn't Atlas supposedly going have locked down everything because of what had just happened in Vale?! What is going on?

There is something wrong with those news.

I tried to ignore Ozpin's voice but... there was something wrong indeed.

No shit.

I remember the event as I had pressed it to happen but-

Right in that exact moment, I switched to another channel, trying to get more clues on what was going on and... I found my answer.

"After winning yesterday's Grand Capital Tournament for the thirteenth time, Peleus Nikos has announced his wish of retiring from competitions to focus more on his family in Argus. Is this the end of the Nikos' golden age or are we going to see a continuation thanks to his seven years old daughter, Pyrrha? There had been some inclinations from the child to follow her father's footsteps in previous interviews-"

Oh my God, we are in the past!

That means that every single plan I had prepared for the whole Volume 4 to 6 was scrapped forever... man, it truly sucks to have efforts thrown in the trashcan.

Oh, do tell me about it.

But yours suck from the very beginning, when you are merely forming the idea behind them. Actually, why you sound so calm at the situation?

While this is indeed an unique predicament, I do think that having experience with Magic and Godly beings has made my capacity to be shellshocked quite... abysmal.

Oh my, I almost felt bad for that.

*Bump*

My attention returned back to the real world, panic surging as I saw it. Black fur, lanky and inhuman limbs and a snarling skull-like face.

I had just the time to yelp as the creature jumped right by the closest door to my seat and thrusted its claw through the small window deep inside the driving cabin.

Now you would expect me to dodge this without any itch and... you would be wrong.

I barely managed to move away from the bone-like, sharp claws, just enough to avoid any killing blow but still getting some damage.

I flinched and started to tremble, a noticeably gash on the side of my head forming at the contact and my left hand was pressing on the injury, trying to stop the blood from pouring too fast out of it.

Its growl and snarling muzzle was enough to keep me from fainting as my hand started to search and pick what I had placed for this kind of predicaments.

The short-muzzled shotgun was something I had never used in my life- scratch that, I have never used a gun ever.

I would have said FPSs matter as experience but- It wasn't the moment. I grasped the pellet-loaded gun and cocked its hole at the Beowulf, its maws open and ready to take a bite at my body.

*Blam*

The dust-powered pellet pierced throught its head, dark matter forcibly removed from the exposed weakpoint as the monster died instantly at the shot.

My back slammed on the other end of the cabin, the kick of the gun being something new as I had forgotten to put some better hold over it.

Dropping the shotgun, I didn't wait for the Grimm to fully dematerialise as I returned to the wheel and pressed my feet as hard as I could on the gas pedal. Beowulves hunted in packs and I was going slow enough for any other monster to jump in and finish the job.

The truck's pace doubled and I saw from the small mirrors that showed the trailer, several other creatures trying to jump and latch at the white, smooth texture but ending up to fail because of the sturdy material of the trailer and the friction of the high speed the vehicle was going.

The rapid pace continued for a while, adrenaline being the only thing keeping me from collapsing on the wheel.

This- This is bad. The hand on the wound was wet, red and starting to pale a little. I felt some form of tiredness slowly taking over and-

I needed to find some refuge. A place where to stay for the night and get enough peace to apply the medicines in the trailer.

I felt relief the moment the truck's headlights illuminated the signpost that showed a proper place to rest.

Gekkeiju - 2KM

Not a location known to my limited RWBY lore but good enough to see if I could get some proper hospitalisation. Sure, I hate hospitals but I needed some serious look over the wound.

I was no expert on the matter, but the injury hardly seemed like a flesh wound and my thoughts were starting to sound scrambled the more time passed.

At least Ozpin had decided to tune out from the situation, I don't know if for respect or more plotting on his part.

Gekkeiju was another abandoned settlement and this development was met with mixed emotions.

I was left to deal with my injuries alone and with my rudimental medical skills, but I didn't have to explain to any authority why I had a truck without proper documentation filled with guns and bullets.

I didn't look around the deserted city, my attention brought by a large building I had spotted from afar as I approached the town. It looked like a factory... but there was nothing inside from what I could see from the open gates.

Groaning a little, I started to slowly manouver the vehicle to enter inside the building.

The moment I was sure the full length of the truck was inside, I turned it off and went to close the gates, the task becoming quite tiring because of having one arm available for the job.

Speaking of the injury, as I started to walk toward the vehicle, my legs gave up and I fell on my knees.

I was tired, incredibly tired and yet I needed to g-get up and get some medicines.

Limping towards the trailer, I slowly opened its doors and I blinked.

The pink-eyed child with black hair blinked back.

Oh. "H-Hello?"

Lie Ren merely stared, not a word uttered in reply to my greeting as his eyes wandered back to the hand clutching my wound, surprise building up the moment he realised I was injured.

"I-I have to get some medicines- I am not going to hurt you but-" I paused the instant I spotted another head appearing from behind the boxes. "Oh, you have a f-friend."

Seeing that the conversation was going nowhere, I slowly stepped inside and went to the small box with the red cross symbol on it and picked the objects I needed.

A bottle of rubbing alcohol, few bandages, some cotton wool and a healing cream and a pair of trauma shears.

While I never experienced this kind of cuts before, I knew the procedures of dealing with head's injuries after... that unpleasant 'accident'.

First thing first, cutting the hair around the wound. I would have tried to find a mirror to help me in the step, I decided to not waste that kind of time.

Slowly but steadily, I managed to remove most of the black hair around the spot, giving me the opportunity to go forward with the procedure.

Grabbing some of the cotton, I applied some alcohol to it and gave it a short glance, gulping nervously as I started to tampon the area of the wound.

Some pained hisses left my throat but... I couldn't skip this step as I needed to make sure the wound wasn't getting infected during the recovery.

Finally I grabbed the healing cream and started to softly apply it on the gash, the cool sensation it was giving now sending shivers to my spine. It was quite the interesting feeling.

Lastly, I unraveled some of the medical bandage and applied it around my head, the rest of the cotton placed right between the bandage and the skin where the wound was.

Having completed the procedure, I let a tired sigh loudly out of my mouth and turned my attention back to the two children.

Nora's blue eyes were fixed at the bandages around my head, childish wonder hidden in her orbs.

Ren was still staring at me. His pink eyes trained at my face, waiting for me to do something, anything that would be remotely considered dangerous for him and his friend.

"I suppose that you have been told to not talk to strangers..." I mused out-loud, the children still silent but I could see some minor reaction at my words. "Then I will introduce myself."

"My name is John Bukharin and my current destination is Vale." I said calmly.

The boy frowned at my faux name, seeing that it didn't match the standard color/element naming system.

I bet my real one would have brought even more confusion, considering that it is quite hard to pronounce and memorise.

Nora blinked and her lips moved silently, repeating my name before nodding to herself. "I am Nora." Then she pointed at her friend, Ren now staring at her. "And this is Renny."

I nodded, keeping just a small smile in my face as I fought off the need to squeal of a chibi Nora. While she looked a shadow of her future self, she had that kind of adorable, squeaky voice only a monster wouldn't love to hear.

"Nora-" The introvert child whispered, trying to chide the girl but failing as he kept glancing my way.

"So, Nora and Ren." I hummed quietly before nodding again. "Nice to meet you both."

The Valkyrie smiled a little while the boy merely sighed in defeat at the circumstance.

Before I could further ask more questions, my stomach gave a loud rumble.

A small blush spread in my cheeks at the embarrassing noise but much to my surprise, the loud rumble was followed by two smaller ones. I looked at the two children, Nora patting her belly while Ren looked away in embarrassment.

"Well, I suppose I will start to make something for dinner." I moved to leave the trailer but paused just a moment. "Any preferences?"

The girl shook her head in negative while Ren looked pensive for a while. "I... I would like something with vegetables."

"Then I will make some nice salad for you, Ren, I think I saw some ingredients to make a very delicious one." I replied with a smile, the child merely nodding at my comment but letting the ghost of a smile appear in his visage.

While Nora seemed to trust people a lot easier than her friend, Ren's inherent paranoia wasn't truly wrong. If I had taken the brunt of his traumatic experience, I would hardly let anyone sweet-talk me out to backstab me.

As I started to prepare the cooking instrument on the cold floor of the factory, my mind returned to trace the lines of my future plans.

Staying in Vale for too long would be a bad choice, especially with Past!Ozpin (Still I had to understand how there were two Ozpins) still ruling from his high tower.

I hear that Atlas is a nice place nowadays.

AN

I am in the Past! And there are two Ozpins to face off (The fun has been doubled!)...

Ren and Nora, two adorbs kids to spoil and take care of!

And before asks yes, this happens prior to Summer's dead so... she might die like she might survive for some random shenanigans.

Lastly I would like to point out two things in the story:

1) The 'Accident' is something that has really happened when I was a little kid. Let's just say that I had to have an emergency surgery and I remember the particulars of that day because... pain;

2) My name is really hard to pronounce and it has little reference to colors or fables so yes, faux name for now but I will see if it will be revealed off-camera or not.

3. Threadmarks: Live and Let Live (2)
    JBukharin

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all..” – Friedrich Nietzsche

Chapter 3: Live and Let Live (2)

I am incredibly glad that I had pestered my parents to teach me how to cook simple cousine.

The delicious spaghetti with tomato sauce ended up with a positive success, the children loving the dish and almost ending up eating their own plates.

Obviously I know that this wasn't exactly caused from the quality of my cooking, but from the fact their last meal had been almost fourteen hours prior to the dinner.

After cleaning the dishes, Ren and Nora decided to return inside the trailer, opting to sleep there as it was a tad bit warmer compared to the cold temperature of the large building. I was pleased when the boy accepted my offer for some pillows and covers to further keep themselves warm.

This meant that, while there was still some distrust from the minor reluctance to accept my small help, there was still a tiny space for dialogue, although it had to be acceptable to the pink-eyed child.

Nora gave a quiet 'thank you' before entering inside and returning to her previous spot.

It was this brief interaction that reminded me that I was dealing with two traumatized children.

A grimace tried to form in my face, my thoughts focusing on what I should do with them once I reached the closest, working civilization point in Mistral.

While I was going to take care of them for the entire duration of the trip, I was inclined to not bring them with me in Vale.

But this uncertainity wasn't casual or maliciously-crafted, as I knew that once in Vale, things would turn incredibly difficult as I tried to dodge the younger Ozpin while keeping the older one under my strict surveillance. Plus avoiding Salem and her minions.

Man, this is so annoyingly complicated.

I had long thought that the nuisances back home were a mess to deal but... okay, I admit that I actually expected that Remnant wouldn't be any sort of easy walk anyway.

I was stuck in a precarious situation. Deprived of means of comunicating with other people, more capable people, planning of going through a dangerous path that was festered by Grimm and bandits-

Oh. I just remembered that, timeline-wise, Raven has to have already taken the leadership of her tribe and... she patrolled near where I was supposed to pass through.

Now that is a new level of 'being screwed by fate itself' in my circumstances.

But you will surely ask now why am I having this little inner monologue when I am supposed to be resting to be ready for the following morning... and I would reply to you that I am not planning to sleep.

Not with the burning sensation of the medications applied to my wound were giving me, forcing me stark awake for the rest of the night.

Instead of merely procrastinating and dumbly spend the time there merely waiting around for 7 hours, I decided to give a proper look of the factory, the staff-reserved rooms where I hoped to find something in particular that would ease up my not-so-smooth journey.

Getting a flashlight out of the crate containing this kind of stuff, I started to wanted around the complex.

I stared cautiously at the broken doors of a malfunctioned elevator before walking up the metal stairs that led to the floor above, the place being set in two levels and I knew from past experience in job-finding that the staff rooms were set in the highest one.

Most of the doors on the level had been left open, none of the previous occupants thinking about protecting the content of their rooms for the sake of trying to outrun the Grimm.

I glanced briefly through the entrances of each room but my attention was quickly taken by the damaged plaque attached in one of those.

It was the room previously owned by the director of the facility. My hopes increased as I entered inside to find the place well-preserved, just few cabinets having fallen in the mass stampede that was caused by the workers of the factory and the damage caused by some Nevermores slamming on the sides of the building.

At least I think those were caused by several Nevermores as I find unlikely that Salem had yet to give wings to Berials... or maybe there was some type of Grimm I was unaware of that could seriously compromise the predicament even more.

At this point, I was quite paranoid over the many things that could go wrong right now that I hardly found much of a hope to have the 'jolly' trip I had wanted for myself.

I poked softly at the bandages, flinching at the contact was enough to spark a quick, sharp pain through my head. I should seriously stop doing that.

My eyes, half-closed by the tiredness, darted to the immaculate computer-like device attached to the single desk of the room.

Sitting on the creaking chair in front of it, I looked around to find the switch to turn it on and-Ah!

The device blinked alive, the screen illuminating and showing some unknown companies' logos as it booted up to the desktop.

My smile froze and died grimly as I found myself staring at one obstacle I hoped to not find in this world.

Input the Password:

I swore loudly, the room far enough to allow me some vocal reaction to this nuisance, but nonetheless I started to input several combinations.

Wrong Password!

Wrong Password!

Wrong

Wrong Password!

I groaned in my hands as I felt my stress increasing the more those two words appeared on the monitor.

Yet after my third attempt, something else appeared in the screen.

Helpful question: The day we officialised our love.

...Seriously?

I mean, Remnant has yet to experience massive hacking issues but to leave this kind of hints around was kind of dumb.

Why not leave it '1234' and bother that approach?

The small photo with a newly-wed couple was still intact in the desk and I gave a quick glance at the date written over it.

"March 18th 1976."

Once I pressed the 'Enter' key the desktop loaded before my eyes and... I smiled widely as I found just what I needed there.

CCT Emergency Connection

I double-clicked the tower-like Icon and a small window opened... waiting for further commands. Blinking at this, I paused a moment to consider what I was supposed to do there.

Was I supposed to digit a simple query? Or maybe should I write a specific command?

My musing came to a close the moment words appeared in the window.

Inquisitive-12: Admin G-41, who is currently using the post?

Oh, was someone monitoring the connections? That would make some sense just to verify the situations of the various settlements... especially with Mistral being so decentralised and disinterested in dealing with the bandits.

Admin G-41: John Bukharin, sir. I request a small evacuation setup for me and two children by the proximities of Gekkeiju.

Inquisitive-12: Is someone there injured?

Admin G-41: Just a flesh wound from a Beowolf, sir. But everyone else is fine and well.

A brief pause followed and I waited for further instructions. If I managed to get a safe passage through this part of Mistral, it would make life much more easier for me.

Inquisitive-12: Due to several sights of a flock of Nevermores in the area, sending a Bullhead directly to the settlement is unlikely.

No. This is- This is unfair!

I slammed my fist on the desk, avoiding to damage the keyboard in the process of stress-relieving.

Inquisitive-12: But it is possible that a Bullhead could be sent to The Claw's Bay.

Claw's Bay? I pulled out from my small backpack the folded map and stared at the Mistrali section of the map and- oh, it is this point.

I think it is an hour or two from Gekkeiju if my basic geographic estimations are correct.

Admin G-41: We should be able to reach it in a few hours.

Inquisitive-12: Good. A Bullhead has been ordered to reach the zone, should arrive in four hours from now.

That left me two hours to sit and wait for the transport to arrive.

Admin G-41: Understood, Sir.

Inquisitive-12: 452-682, use this number to call with your Scroll if there are issue in the way. I hope you will reach Paragon's Reach safely, Mr. Bukharin.

The user logged out and so did I.

Turning off the computer, I started to walk back to the truck and, as soon as I reached the stairs, I froze in a panicked expression.

From the small opening in the gates I could see shadows walking around the entrance and, walking slowly towards the vehicle, my sight over the unknown figure got clear and... fuck.

Those were bandits and... OH NO!

Pacing quickly but silently across the space between the stairs and the vehicle, I glimpsed inside the trailer and saw both children still sleeping peacefully. Without thinking too much about it, I moved inside the trailer and tugged at Ren's sleeve.

The boy groggily opened his eyes, his initial look being an irritated one but it quickly collapsed in a wide-eyed one as I had my finger on my lips, asking silently from his silence.

"We got a bandit issue." His eyes widened even more at my whispered explanation. "I want you to be quiet and keep Nora silent too. I am going to get us out of here, do you understand?"

He gave a quick nod.

"Good."

Leaving the trailer, I crouch-walked towards the driver's cabin and slipped inside the damaged door and stared at the key already plugged in.

Once I turned it, the sound will surely alert the bandits and draw their attention on the inside of the factory. So the moment I did so and felt the engine roaring to life, I was already pressing my feet on the gas pedal and moving towards the gates.

Wide-eyed criminals stared in shock as the massive form of a truck came through the gates and slammed into them. I didn't see blood but even I knew that a truck in the face was something that killed people. And thus I finally drawed first blood.

Without thinking much about it, my mind forced to focus on the illuminated path, I proceeded through the bandits-filled road and managed to get some more roadkills before I got some replies to my actions.

Several guns of different calibers started to concentrate their firepower onto the driver's cabin, forcing me to duck and pray to not slam anywhere as I moved the vehicle away from the hostile area.

Surprisingly enough, none of the bandits had any vehicles that could help in somekind of pursuit of Truck-kun and I was glad that after few moments of doom I was able to leave Gekkeiju mostly unharmed.

Relief slowly started to soothe the pressure I was exercising on the gas pedal and I slowly felt my eyes half-close the moment adrenaline started to leave my body-

Wait, how did the bandits get there without vehicles?

Dread surged through my veins as I found the answer in the most horrifying of sights.

It was a small raven, eyes blood red, approaching the truck from the opposite direction. Her form changed into my worst nightmare, under the pale light of the shattered moon.

MOVE!

Ozpin's voice brought me out of that panic-induced daze, my body tilting to pick the shotgun I had previously used but-GAHHHHHHHHHH!

The glass making up the front window shattered instantly as she thrusted forward and-

The arm that was going for the gun twitched in a pause as my other one was almost cleaved off by Raven Branwen's katana. The blade pierced deep but it was few inches away from severing the bone.

Still the agony was there to keep me awake as I reached rabidly for the shotgun, aiming it as rapidly as my adrenaline-induced reactivity could afford.

I could see her eyes widening at my reaction through her Grimm-like mask.

"B-BEGONE THOT!"

The point-blank blast was effective in sending her flying out of the driver's cabin... but she had left the blade sticking deep in my arm- I-It didn't matter!

Slamming once more the gas pedal as much as I could, the truck reached an high pace while I tried to manouver the vehicle with a single arm and the atrocious pain surging from my injured arm.

Twice in two days. This wasn't a lucky week for me, that's for sure.

My little adrenaline rush deflated as soon as I noticed that the speed was starting to decrease. A terrible realisation was given solid proof when I stared at the fuel's current level and it was... empty.

NononononononononononoNO!

Then the truck came to an halt, a very unpleasant one as I felt my hopes of at least surviving this place crushing the quickest ever.

My head lowered on the wheel, defeat painted on my face as I stared blankly at the floor. The blood dripping from my wounds, the one in the head opening the moment Raven slammed on my chest to cushion her entrance, were forming a red lake.

My eyes closed when I felt rustling coming from the foliage by the sides of the mud path. Either Grimm or Raven, I was screwed anyway.

So this is the end of the line? And I had imagined some long adventure. Life do sucks double time in Remnant.

But as my mind continued to lose itself in my dark thinking, I failed to notice that the ones currently approaching the silent truck were neither of those.

Just a voice, muffled by my ears as pain drowned me further away from reality, managed to make way to my mind. First with a gasp and then with a loud exclamation.

"He is still alive! WE NEED A MEDIC HERE!"

AN

Oh look... another flesh wound.
    On a serious note, the reason why 'I' am this unlucky is... because I am like that in real life. Generally, many bad things happen when I hope those don't and... yep, I don't need a semblance to be this unlucky.
    Plans fail when faced with reality, Murphy has stated it and now the live experiment that I am proved him right.

4. OperatorOnyx

OperatorOnyx Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Very good so far, Keep It up!

JBukharin likes this.
  5. Threadmarks: Live and Let Live (3)
    JBukharin

My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking.” – Marshal Ferdinand Foch, WW1.

Chapter 4: Live and Let Live (3)

Oh sweet numbness, how much I had (NOT) missed you.

But I guess that is the best outcome from what had happened before I lost consciousness, especially since getting my arm almost chopped off would have easily ended up with me die by bloodloss.

That wouldn't have been funny, especially since I kind of want to have a long life and die by old age. Is it wrong for me to be worried of losing things up because of some ill-fortunate encounter.

I mean, I bet my current Karma has to have reached some cosmic balance the moment I denied Raven's stabby attitude with my pellet policy. Now that was a really funny thought that will make me gloat over that predicament.

Yet I don't think that it has been a worthwhile exchange, knowing that the woman was resilient and had Aura to protect herself from the blast and the resulting flight throught the forest.

Speaking of Big Bird, I was quite sure that she actually didn't get hold over my numbed body after I passed out.

How do I know that? Well, when my touch perceived the smooth texture of good bed covers and when my thinking proves that I was far from dead, I think I would be right by saying that I wasn't being held hostage by the Branwen tribe.

My eyelids opened slowly, it felt like I was trying to open some massive doors and... I stared at the confusing ceiling. I was inside a tent, a very clean one if the lack of stains were to be taken into account.

The first thing I turned my attention to was my left arm. The limb was still attached to my body but it was also heavily bandaged and still numb from Gods know how many painkillers.

But I counted myself lucky as I knew it could have ended far worse and-

Footsteps approached and soon a short figure entered inside the tent.

Blue eyes widening in surprise, a twitching mouth and pancakes falling on the ground, I barely had enough time to brace myself as the small missile known as ‘Nora Valkyrie’ jumped onto my chest.

Air forcibly leaving my poor lungs, the ribs having yet to recover from the previous impact with Raven’s legs, I managed just a shaky smile as she looked up in surprise and mortification, remembering that I was injured.

She was about to jump off when my sluggish arm reached for her head and I patted it. The effect was immediate as the girl froze at the contact, eyes wide open in shock at the situation before starting to slowly melt as I caressed her hair.

B-But doesn’t it hurt?” Her question was legitimate as I was unaware of the full extent of my inner injuries.

Still, I couldn’t help but manage a small smile. “It doesn’t.”

You are flinching.” She stated with utter certainity and I truly was. There was a small pain coming from the spot the girl had chosen but I was capable of enduring it all for a while.

I am, yes.” She hummed quietly, her mind trying to find a comeback to my cool attitude but she ended up with a simple shrug.

So what happened while I was sleeping?” Her smile returned full-force as she straddled on the covers.

Nice people took us in their camp and gave us food and water. They are all friendly and- they have cute ears.”

… “You mean like animal ears?” At her nodding at my query, I started to think about this development. This camp was owned by a Faunus comunity but… what kind of comunity are we talking about?

World of Remnant never mentioned Faunus-only settlements outside of Menagerie and I was quite sure that this wasn’t even a permanent one. The tents were the same kind people used for temporary camps and I was slowly getting convinced that this was the case.

And they are here because they were going back home after a…” Nora scrunched her face as she couldn’t voice out the last word.

Do you need-” “N-No, I got this! It was something about… a streak?” I admit I had an amused smile as she tried and failed to get the right word out.

Do you mean ‘strike’?” She blinked and nodded, making me sigh and pause once more.

It was at this moment that Bukharin knew, he was half-screwed.

As if on cue, another sets of footsteps reached the entrance of the tent and… Ren stopped to stare at me and Nora.

Good morning?” He whispered, his voice almost lost before reaching my ears.

I smiled. “Good morning.”

As soon as I returned the greeting I saw a shadow approaching. “Ren, is everything al-right.” The young woman proceeded to repeat the same pause the pink-eyed child took, amber eyes fixed on my form.

Kali Belladonna was holding a little sleeping girl, one that sported a pair of cat ears like hers. Blake, as a kid, was adorable.

Good morning?” This time I tried to start the approach, feeling like there was much more than I was completely unaware of.

I was brought by a Dog Faunus in the Chieftain’s tent, much larger than the one I had woken up into and with piles of books lying around.

Ghira Belladonna was a very intimidating individual to sit in front of.

Mind you, it wasn’t the fact he was a Panther Faunus with claws and enchanted senses that scared me the most.

It was his height and size.

I would consider myself to be an average young man, tall 5’8, with a mediocre physicial state (No muscles, but not fat either). Being brought face to face with someone this massive, no matter the circumstances, was kind of distressful for someone that has survived two near-death experiences.

But my worries vanished the moment he started to spoke.

It’s good to see you recovering, Mr. Bukharin.” I felt a tense note as he said my ‘name’ and I kind of felt sweating for a moment. I was stuck in a wheelchair made of wood because of how heavy the casting around my wounded arm was, ‘crippling’ any chances of moving as quick as I wanted to.

Thank you and I want to express my gratitude for having helped me and the kids-” “Nonsense. It was what any good individual would have done.”

He nodded in my direction to emphasize that he mean it. Now that I looked at him, skipping the whole ‘younger’ skit, Ghira looked less stressed than how he was showed in the series.

Could it be because there was no Sienna and Adam stirring extremism within the White Fang?

It was a strong possibility, especially since it would make things a little less difficult. I didn’t have to worry about getting attacked by White Fang grunts… yet.

Mr. Bukharin, I hope you understand that I need to ask you a couple of questions.” Concern present in his tone, I merely sighed in defeat.

While I was known with the name ‘John Bukharin’ to those who asked, I was certainly not registered anywhere as such. But the very thing that screwed my cover was possibly the content of my wallets, having placed there my ID Card with my real name. “Okay.”

He nodded, picking a pair of reading glasses as he controlled right the card I had just mentioned.

Right here it gives several unknown names, some might be places of birth and your hometown but I can see here that your name is...” He paused, staring up at me with a serious look.

I blinked. “Salvatore.” I decided to keep quiet over my last name, feeling that it would be way too unnecessary, and thankfully Ghira understood, passing on the following question.

What is this ‘Repubblica Italiana’?” I was surprised he actually got the pronunciation right, wondering if this was something to do with certain part of Remnant having some resemblances of Italy or Italian.

It is the nation from which I hail from, sir.” He glanced once more, this time to double-check if I was lying or something similar.

His eyes returned back on the paper again, this time confusion hinted in his features.

What about ‘Comune di Palermo’?” Another query…

It’s the city where I lived, sir.” ...and another answer.

He finally moved to the other side of the card and smirked. “Interesting signature.”

I scowled at the burning weakness on the paper. “I have issue with writing by hand, sir.

Finally the interrogation came to a close the moment I saw Kali entering the tent, little Blake walking close behind while hiding behind her legs. With a quick glance, I knew that she was staring at me with childish curiosity.

I suppose we can stop here.” Ghira said ultimately, smiling as his wife approached him across the small table. “You don’t seem a dangerous fellow, ‘Mr. Bukharin’.”

I think that would be hardly possible in my conditions, Mr. Belladonna.” He was giving a peck on his wife’s lips when his eyes shot wide open, his attention brought back to me.

I am an utter moron. Like, why did I even bother surviving in dangerous situations if I was so adept in complicating my life with my blabbering mouth.

I don’t recall having presented myself-” “But I did, hun.” Kali interrupted her lover with another kiss on his lips.

...Oh right! Kali did introduce herself after I greeted her!

Okay about last few comments about myself? I am still an utter moron, but for different reasons.

The taller man seemed to relax at the explanation, embracing his wife and I was left pretty much forgotten.

Wanting to not end up envisioning this scene, I turned my sight away and my eyes fell right on the other individual that wanted out of that particular situation.

Little Blake noticed my stare and she turned to stare back, approaching me slowly.

Hello.”

She didn’t reply and I was getting some Dejavu from her silence.

My name is John Bukharin, may I have your name?” I asked with a curt smile

She returned it with a small one. “No.”

I fake-pouted at that. “No?” Then I tilted my head childishly. “Then how will I ever be able to address you?”

She hummed, her cat ears twitching at the entertaining spectacle I was giving her.

I will tell you… if you join the White Fang!”

I have seen so many political ads about joining different parties and movements, but never I had been taken by just a single statement like in that moment.

I proceeded to stretch my free hands toward her. “Deal.”

Blake blinked in surprise but her smile widened. “Really?”

I nodded at her and turned to the couple. “Mr. Belladonna. I want to join the White Fang.”

The two lovers stopped whatever they were doing to stare in shock at me as if I had grown a second head.

I mean, why it would be weird for a human to join an organisation meant to bring equal rights between Faunus and Mankind?

I admit that this new development had been spurned out of tiredness of being turned into a prey by everything between me and Vale, but I am quite flattered to have become the first and only human to ever join the White Fang.

When this was announced to the camp, everyone dropped their work to look at me as if I was a crazy man, but after some hours had passed and the shock had settled, I was now officially set to go to Menagerie.

So while I was waiting for lunch to be prepared and served, I was calmly watching over some bonfire with Ghira.

The man had given me permission to address him by his first name, fully introducing myself. Blake had done the same but she had also started to ask more about the reasons why I had almost died back then.

I decided to give her an abridged, gore-less version of the tale, managing to avoid any questions from her that could bring up more of the unpleasant experience I had suffered quite recently.

But just as Kali took Blake, Nora and Ren to play away from us, I felt the need to ask something I had long wanted to know.

If I may ask, Ghira, what happened to the sword that almost killed me?”

The somber question took the man by surprise, his eyes widening once more before settling with a grimace. “We decided to keep it, why do you ask?”

I was thinking about… taking a ‘minor’ revenge over my assailant.”

I thought you didn’t know who she was.” I had indeed left out the fact I knew the identity of my attacker while narrating my ‘K-Rated Story’ but… I had the perfect reason for it.

Raven Branwen is kind of a dangerous individual to not know about.” He flinched at the name but nodded in agreement. I was sure that Raven had to have already left some impression over Mistral with her ruthlessness and thus have left some infamous reputation to linger around the world.

The woman is quite the horrible one… but may I inquire what you want to do about her? What kind of revenge you have planned?”

You may.” I replied immediately, giddiness as my plan repeated multiple time in my head and the face Raven was going to have once she learned about what was going to happen. “Let’s just say that I wish to mail this sword to someone.”

Ghira frowned. “Mail the sword? That sounds… tame.”

It might sound like that without a context, but I do have the proper receiver for this ‘gift’.”

And where do you planned to send it?”

I paused, staring at the limpid, blue sky as I smiled madly. “Have you ever heard of Patch?”

AN
    For those who have yet to understand yes, I am a vindicative son of a gun when I am put through hell and boy, I am out for Raven's blood now. Next chapter I will put the full content of the letter associated to the package, to reassure them that Big Bird is still alive and that she ‘lost’ her blade while stabbing me.

Also White Fang: Yay, I am the only human in a supposedly Faunus-Only group!

Bet no one saw this one coming. XD

6. Akuma-Heika

Akuma-Heika The Devil Exists Within

If it is going with the European order for the password, why was the full date written in the American standard?

JBukharin likes this.
  7. JBukharin

Uhm... Remnant standard?

8. Gargant

Gargant Getting some practice in, huh?

Remnant standard you say...

JBukharin likes this.
  9. Akuma-Heika

Which one is Remnant standard? You went with both, one for the date written on the wedding photo, and the other for the password.

JBukharin likes this.
  10. JBukharin

... *Nods his head* Yes.

11. Threadmarks: Live and Let Live (4)
    JBukharin

Childhood should be carefree, playing in the sun; not living a nightmare in the darkness of the soul. ” – Dave Pelzer, A Child called ‘It’.

Chapter 5: Live and Let Live (4)

After finishing lunch, the final preparation before moving back to Craw’s Bay commenced and soon we marched towards the city-port, reaching it two hours later.

I think some were surprised when behind the column of Faunus walking towards the port, there was a truck moving slowly.

Yay, Truck-kun was safe and sound with its content and… the shotgun. My little friend, the one thing that actually wasn’t being used to compensate for something… and the reason behind the diplomatic envoy being forced to camp outside the city was given the moment I stared at the glances the locals gave to the Faunus.

It wasn’t hatred that caused this behavior, but I could see distrust and lack of willingness to approach and treat the group as equals. You know, walk normally by the sides of the road without giving too much weight about their appearances.

Maybe I was too much pampered to the idea that those kind of differences shouldn’t matter by the end of the day, because both groups shared red blood and equal thinking capacities. And souls.

I had expected that the means to reach Menagerie would have been a large naval ship but… it was an airship. Like a smaller, wooden version of the Hindenburg.

The mere reminder of the blimp that caught fire and crashed down was a good reminder of why they hadn’t used it for the rest of the trip. It’s difficult to survive from high altitudes even with Aura and sabotages were excluded from the life of being part of the White Fang.

Ghira had been quite blunt and graphic in narrating some morbid episodes of losses happening during some of the rallies and strikes, deaths caused by ‘mistakes’ committed by the very individuals in charge of defending the peaceful protesting group.

I don’t think I need to return back to my previous monologues about this world and how it is worse than ours but… yeah, it sucks twice as usual.

I think the reason why the man had told me this kind of tales was mostly to deter me from officially joining the organisation but… this kind of stuff just makes me even more eager to join.

Also after suffering two deadly experiences during my attempts to reach Vale, I think I wouldn’t be totally wrong in saying that my luck disagrees with my previous plans.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying that it was the Gods’ intervention as I knew that would be far too much farfetched to be true, especially with the world still existing and having not been purged.

Boarding the airship, I was given a large room that I was going to share with Nora and Ren which sadly had only a queen-sized bed inside, but my solution to this problem was quick and simple.

Since I had to get stuck in the wheelchair until the cast was removed, and that meant for at least a full week it was going to be the case, I might as well sleep on it during night time and leave the bed to the children.

I think the girl, having started to grow attached to me, might have been doubtful of my decision, hesitant even, but I was thankfully helped around by Ren.

The boy might have eased around me, but he hardly perceived me as someone worth of being considered some kind of family.

Nora was an orphan from the very beginning and she would easily trust someone that had shown to her nothing more than selfless kindness. Plus I think my rudimental cooking skill seemed to have hit a soft spot in her heart as she had asked few moments before lunch if I could be the one cooking for her.

I gained a compromise by promising her that I would be the one cooking once we reached our newest home.

Ren saw his parents died, he could remember his time with his family before the Grimm sieged Kuroyuri and he certainly wouldn’t be as quick to trust someone with some simple, friendly acts.

Obviously I wasn’t surprised by the minor distrust but this impasse left me in quite the pickle to deal with.

When I had said that Nora had opened up to me, it was more like she had started to calmly sit near me, walk beside me and sometimes ask for some fairy tales when she wanted to go for a nap (While it was unusual for a child her age, I found out that she had been having recurring nightmares during the night and so she needed to rest once in a while).

I was… family? Maybe I was going a little far off the mark, but she trusted me just like a child would trust a close relative.

This situation, coupled with Kali’s not-so-subtle hints to adopt both children, left me to plan how to get the boy to warm up to the idea of being officially taken care by me as a guardian.

And it wasn’t because I wanted to keep some canon going, knowing far too well that my mere presence in Remnant was already causing some changes in the timeline.

The boy was traumatised and he needed to have Nora around. The girl had taken the least from the Kuroyuri’s destruction and she seemed to be the only now as of now Ren could trust completely.

But while I was thinking about this situation and the possible solutions, I decided to address an issue that I could now fix before it would spark some unpleasant situations.

I am glad to hear that you received aid in the end, Mr. Bukharin. Still, I wish to apologise for having asked such a drastic solution-

The man on the other side of the call sounded nervous, possibly because I had been able to contact him hours after the planned time for the extraction. Maybe he had thought that he had just heard my last word and… yet I am alive.

There is no need for apologies, sir. I know that it had to have been quite difficult to pick the closest place that the Bullheads could reach.”

I got hold of one of the Emergency Scrolls in the Airship by asking the Captain of the vessel, explaining the extent of my predicament and all.

The call was quick, some nervousness from the other side, but giving more details over the reasons that led to our survival seemed to placate the man enough to not warrant more questions.

I decided to omit the fact that the kind group of people that had saved me was Faunus, just as a precaution to avoid unneeded panic and distrust over the legitimacy of the call.

The day ended with the dinner prepared by the ship’s cooks, some seafood with veggies and other green stuff I actually didn't look too much unfamiliar…

Or at least that was what I thought until I saw some purple dots on some of this stuff.

Returning back to my cabin I went quickly to the single bathroom to freshen up, clean my teeth, before leaving the place for the children to use for their own needs.

By the time the two had finished with their routine and had gone inside the covers of the bed, I had moved the wheelchair close enough to be ready to intervene in case one of them, or both, needed my help during their slumber.

Nightmares were surely going to happen, their mind still unprepared with the horror they had faced just some days ago... and even more recently with the bandits' attack.

I slouched my head on my hand, the elbow of my healthy arm standing on the armchair of the wheelchair as I tried to get some rest from this uncomfortable position.

It wasn’t the first time I would try to achieve some relaxation like this… but it was certainly the first time I slept in this particular position during nighttime.

A few hours passed and midnight struck uneventfully, my mind keeping me busy with thoughts as the darkness and the general stress rendered any chance of catching some sleep slim if not impossible.

I used this time alone and in silence to call out Ozpin, to try and understand why he had been this quiet until now. Sure, I wasn’t going to listen to him over any 'mission' or important tasks, but I was feeling quite nervous as of why he was this silent now.

The headmaster refused to answer any of the probes, limiting himself with just a sigh once in a while.

At least I knew he was here, but I was ignoring why he would be this limited in his talking.

Did he finally see the bright light of being in the wrong?

My musing ended right as my ears caught the distinct noise of someone shuffling in the bed nearby, praising my light sleeping habits for having noticed this situation as… Ren continued to tremble in his sleep, whispering names and broken sentences.

I felt tensing up at the scene, part of me contemplating if he was having a seizure or not, if it was just a nightmare or something far worse.

Still, I didn’t pause a moment as I moved the wheelchair to the other side of the bed and started to tug at the boy’s sleeve, trying to wake him up.

His eyes snapped open suddenly, pink orbs meet brown ones and his scared/panicky expression fixed on my face as it slowly melted away in one of guarded relief as soon as he remembered where he was.

Away from Grimm and any sort of dangers.

You were having a nightmare,” I stated calmly, Ren nodding slowly as he stood up from the bed. Looking at the sheets in silence, trying to calm himself even more but… I decided to meddle now just a little.

You know that keeping everything bottled up isn’t healthy.”

My words managed to pierce through the melanchonic bubble forming around the boy, his eyes glancing my direction.

Look Ren, I know that I should be asking this from you as you would prefer to keep it all away from people, especially someone that is still a stranger to you," I tried to sound as cautious as possible. "But you need to open up to someone, let this unpleasant weight leave and... maybe ask for some advice about your own queries.”

Why?”

His voice sounded so tired, like someone that had been repeated over and over something preachy without a proper explanation.

His reaction was way more tame than any kids his age, more than enough to increase my already-growing worries.

Because you may be surprised to learn what others keep in their heart.” I stated quietly, sighing as I started to think about back home. I did leave the real world in a rather disappointing state… I wonder what mom is thinking now that I'm not here.

She probably thinks I somehow decided to run away at this point and...

She was surely worried for my disappearance but there wasn’t much I could do about it with how I was right now.

Do you… want to hear about my childhood?” The question, albeit dumb and devoid of major thinking, was whispered and the boy looked confused at the words, but this nonethelss caught his attention. “Would you believe if I said that I was ‘worse’ than Nora in terms of... being quirky?”

He blinked, then frowned at my face and tilted his head a little. “Really?”

I cracked a smile. It was somehow working.

“I sure was," I continued with a calm voice. "Why, there was one time where I tried to ‘clean’ some flowers and…let’s just say I discovered that bleach isn’t a good product to clean plants.” His lips twitched and I continued without a pause. “There was also that time when I tried to-”

An hour or two passed and I managed to get Ren smiling and giggling a little as I continued to narrate my disadventures as a young child. Which were, by far, the most interesting bits of my early life.

I was a pest in my childhood, the complete opposite of what one would expect from my current introvert attitude, and I am sure that I was the general cause that got my father to start having grey hair at 37.

Yes, I was that bad.

The following day, Patch.

Summer Rose was smiling as she finished preparing another batch of delicious chocolate cookies, pulling them out from the steamy oven.

Yang giggled at the sight of the delicious treat being placed on the single table of the Kitchen while her younger sibling drooled at the scene, her silver eyes glowing in hunger as her tummy demanded nourishment.

And that is the last one.”

The little blonde let another giggle out as pulled lil’ Ruby in a baby hold and walked towards the plates filled with snacks, making the mother’s smile widen at the adorable scene.

It had been few days since she had been conceded another stay at home from her work as Huntress and she had been enjoying it with Taiyang, Qrow and her daughters by doing simple things, like cooking and telling the children some brave tales about her job.

The day had started quite simple, her eyes opening at the sight of her dunderhead of a husband tiredly trying to catch some rest after some tiring day at Signal.

Summer had long thought about switching to a desk job, as a teacher, because of her inclination as a mother to properly educate little kids. That desire was easily forgotten the moment she returned to think about her missions, about the lives she was saving, of the contribution she was giving to the world.

It might sound selfish but… she liked helping people for the sake of it.

As the older Xiao Long woke up and got his morning peck, he was off to the bathroom and then to work, leaving the woman to deal with their beloved daughters.

It has been just like every single morning since she took the stay and, despite it was a repetitive routine, she found it refreshing. She was resting and nothing interesting was meant to happen while relaxing away from job.

At least that was what she had long thought before Qrow appeared out of the entrance’s lounge.

S-Summer, we have an issue.”

The Rose raised a brow at the panic in her former teammates’ tone but decided to merely nod at him as he prepared to explain whatever had happened to have him this nervous.

Her silver eyes glanced briefly at the long package in his arm and the small letter he was holding on his free hand.

Do you remember how Tai got… married with Rae?”

The mere reminder of that interesting situation sparked some initial concern on her visage, knowing that if it was something about that, it had to be quite serious.

I do.”

He gulped nervously, handing over the letter to her.

To the Xiao Long Household (Taiyang Xiao Long, Summer Rose and Qrow Branwen),
    I want to start this merry message with an apology if this reaches you in time of trouble or maybe in a moment where you are busy but… I needed to send this letter together with the package.
    Inside the box, there is Raven Branwen’s sword that she had kindly decided to leave in my dying body before being promptly sent to hug several trees via shotgun pellets.
    Before causing any ruckus no, she is not dead (or at least I think so) and I am sending you this ‘gift’ as a mean to try to bargain something out of Big Bird (Yeah, I am calling her that because she isn’t worthy of being called Mama Bird) to try and visit once in a while.
    P.S. Once again, I wish to apologize if I had caused any unnecessary worry and I bid you a good day.

John Bukharin.

Summer re-read the short message again, then she blinked in a perplexed frown.

He ‘took’ her sword. And he sent it to us.”

Her mind’s gears rolled furiously as she connected the dots of Qrow’s concern with the content of the letter.

He doesn’t know about… the tribe’s rules,” She asked while turning to the male Branwen, the black-haired man giving her a flat ‘Nope’ as her frown deepened a little at the situation.

Does Tai know about this?” Her question was met with a sigh.

He was the one receiving the package first, he didn’t even bother to check if there was the real deal inside the box and went to search for this ‘Bukharin’.”

She hummed quietly while folding the paper in her hands. “And do you know why he is doing that?”

Tai was rather emotional when one of his team was hurt, but he was also very aware of the aggressive nature of his former lover. So it was curious to understand what kind of reactions drove him to sought this curious individual.

'John Bukharin', what an odd name.

I think he is doing it for the poor bastard,” Qrow commented lightly, the children far enough from their proximity to not hear him swear a little. “I mean, after having known her for so long I do understand his logic.”

Then I guess I shall join him soon… after I tell Ozpin that I need to extend my current stay.”

He will accept, Sum, especially with the longer hours you pulled last time,” The Branwen agreed and soon the two started to talk about other topics.

Like why was Qrow not in Signal doing his job as a teacher, to which the man decided to reply with a single but interestingly hasty retreat via his bird form.

AN
    Next chapter there will be Menagerie and… Yeah, Raven will make another cameo quite soon. It will be super-duper crazy!
    Also yes, I was a pest as a child but… who wasn’t?!

12. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Fucker of Deathclaws

The SI yeeting Raven was fucking hilarious. And I approve of him being a vindictive motherfucker.

Crimson Grave and JBukharin like this.
  13. Akuma-Heika

If I am remembering the definition right, he didn't yeet her. No throwing was done :p

Edit:
    -_-

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 10:12 PM
    JBukharin likes this.
  14. AllyDoodle

The shotgun did the job for him. :D

Crimson Grave and JBukharin like this.
  15. Masterjaxx

Masterjaxx I trust you know where the happy button is?

I have a hunch, a horrible horrible hunch, that you are turning Raven into a Shampoo expy who must kill or marry anyone who defeats her in combat.

Yandere stalker get?

Crimson Grave, Par Tzu and JBukharin like this.
  16. JBukharin

Kinda, somehow and perhaps but indeed... Yeah, I'm just blurting/writing the first thing that comes from my mind. Like, it's gonna be fun, that's what I can say.

17. Threadmarks: Settling In (1)
    JBukharin

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.” – Ernest Hemingway

Chapter 6: Settling in (1)

Kuo Kuana was the very representation of what one would imagine by thinking of a penal colony. An incredibly large settlement with so many people and buildings, while a good 75% of the rest of the island was conceded to the Grimm.

As we reached the capital of Menagerie, I was quickly briefed by Ghira with details regarding the city.

A homely settlement with so many people cramped all together. It wasn’t that much of a ill thought to compare the real meaning of the sub-nation to the current predicament, especially with how crazy some laws here were.

The judicial system was a joke compared to modern nations, some issues legally settled by brawls in the local arena and the government was highly-centered in the hands of the Chieftain.

Speaking of leaders, I almost forgot to remind everyone that… it wasn’t Ghira this time around. The man was still leading the White Fang, but the reason behind his sudden ascension to ruler of the island came in the form of blatant nepotism.

Zardula Lavana, Kali’s father, was the benevolent leader of the Menagerie and one of the co-founders of the White Fang. Slightly taller than his daughter, the elder was still a bit shorter than Ghira. His face was a little wrinkled, signs of tiredness from having done so much in a lifetime permanently plastered on it.

When we all reached the large mansion owned by the Belladonna-Lavana family, I was kind of surprised to see Blake skipping in a moment of childish glee towards her grandfather.

She jumped as soon she was close enough to him and the old man picked her with a careful hold. “Grandpa!”

He chuckled and raised the child up for a moment before bring her close to his chest. “Little Blake.” She giggled and I cracked a smile at the scene.

It was interesting to see that the girl had been this much cheerful in her childhood… but I was also reminded that the man wasn’t mentioned in the Canon and he looks very old now. Man, my mind can be such a bummer once in a while…

As Zardula finished greeting Ghira and Kali, his stare turned towards me… and the kids.

Actually, I think I need to make a small step back in the narration as… my current situation was complicated in that moment. I was still making use of the wheelchair as my Aura-less ass was quite slow to heal up and my body was still strained from the previous predicaments, while the children were… doing something odd.

I had expected Nora to actually pick a free seat on my legs to keep the closest possible- but to see Ren not only join but also lead to some misadventures was quite the shocker.

You see, when you are given a wheelchair, your hands are supposed to move the wheels (at least this model required this kind of action). When the two incredibly curious kids took hold over the wheels, I was still ‘sluggish’ with my reaction time and-

B-BOTH OF YOU STOP!!” Leaving the airship had been the scariest thing as I had to move the chair through the various obstacles in the attempt of limiting the collateral damage. A true nightmare…

Anyway, as the elder took us to his office, I bowed my head respectfully at him once he had reached for his desk. “Chieftain Lavana.” I waited for a reply and… nothing came back. Blinking at the lack of a response, I raised my stare up back to the man and I found him narrowing his eyes at… Nora?

The orange-haired child was staring back with a challenging stare. I blinked again, this time trying to hide the sudden pain erupting from my knee as Nora’s nails were pressing onto my skin.

While I would comment how funny a situation I was looking at, a child and an old man engaging in a staring challenge, I think everyone could forgive me if I found the big picture bleak as this continued. We were the only three humans in Menagerie and… wasn’t the Faunus Rights War supposed to have ended few decades ago?

WW2 wasn’t something I was trying to achieve in this war- oh right, context. If a human dies in Menagerie, no matter what kind of nationality (or lacking one in my case), and the other Kingdoms caught news of that… then there would have been some War for ‘Honor’ or ‘Duty’.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Atlas used the Casus Belli to literally enforce another, more humiliating peace.

So I went for the peaceful approach and placed my hand on Nora’s head. The girl reacted to the sudden interaction with a blink, then her eyelids closed a little as I proceeded to caress carefully her hair.

Finally Zardula took notice of me (and just me), his stare softening a little. “Your child looks fiery.” My smile widened a little at the words of the elder and I nodded.

She is also very silly once in a while.”

Cue the Valkyrie glancing back with a small, mock-pout, continuing to accept my ministrations.

The Chieftain nodded, sparing just a passing glance at Ren as the boy avoided to have eye-contact with him, either because he didn’t trust the Faunus or because he was just conscious of what I was trying to do.

He was a smart cookie, I wouldn’t pass up that possibility.

I suppose they would feel quite intimidated by the circumstances.” I had to force myself to not flinch at what he was referring to, forming up some response that would dissuade the man from that kind of theory.

They don’t know about that aspect of life, Chieftain,” I started, my attention taken by Ren as his inquisitive pink eyes looked at me. If the show was 100% to believe from, then Ren and Nora were unaware of Faunus until before we encountered the community two days ago.

Just two kids and… a very unlucky man?” A snort left the elder’s mouth as I pointed at the cast around my arm.

I can see that… but I also find you quite the unusual human, Mr. Bukharin,” He paused just a brief moment, then nodded. “I hope you understand that I find your interest in joining Menagerie and the White Fang… surprising.”

I nodded and he sighed.

“Then I am sure you will also understand why I find it difficult to find this notion truthful and genuine.” His words were expected. A punch in the guts, but expected.

Distrust was still a bitter, common thing in this world and I was sure that mere words wouldn’t be enough to prove my honesty.

Acta, no verba.

I blinked, my lips sealed in a thin line. “What do you wish for me to do then, Chieftain?”

The question reached a partly-surprised Zardula, the man possibly expecting that I was going to call some non-existing bluff for the sake of surviving in this situation but…

I was genuinely interested in joining the White Fang.

I would want you to leave Menagerie and never bother us ever again.” Shit. “-But I wouldn’t forgive myself if I threw two children back in Mistral.”

So… I was literally not getting kicked out of the island… because of Nora and Ren being with me?

Part of me was completely embarrassed by the fact that my plans were being possible because the elder had a soft spot for kids, being a grandpa and all, but it was also true that this wasn’t something I had planned.

It was a predicament that literally slammed on myself and… I shouldn’t be feeling guilty about it.

My daughter said that you are good with Economics,” The leader spoke once more, drawing my attention back to him. “I think I will put you on probation about a job as an assistant for the bank. Nothing too much important and I would know if you… are honest about your intentions.”

I nodded, putting some effort to not scowl at the job proposal.

I don’t have anything against bankers, or anything bank-related… but the administrative duties were not something to scoff at.

After all, I did spend some time with some former bankers while studying Economics and I did hear some unpleasant experience during while they worked there.

Biting down any protests, I merely nodded. “I humbly accept your kind offer, Chieftain-” “Call me Zardula.”

I blinked and frowned at the interruption. “Wouldn’t that be disrespec-”

He sighed. “I gave you the permission to call me as such, young man.”

My mouth closed instinctively and I barely glanced back as the elder looked at… one of the guards by the doors.

Wait, did I seriously forget about the guards? As I facepalmed myself within my mind, I found myself freezing up as I ended up noticing whom was guarding the entrance.

While the young man by the door was a silver-haired dog Faunus which I knew nothing about, the one on the other side was incredibly familiar.

Two orange eyes stared back, scorn barely hidden as her tiger-like cat ears twitched in frustration at the situation. Her brown hair was longer than the few moments she was seen in canon, but I could easily recognize-

“Sienna, you will be the Mr. Bukharin’s minder for the time being. Please… don’t fail me again.”

...Are you kidding?!

The bustling streets of Menagerie, which had been used in RWBY to induce some relief out to replace some difficult and dramatic scene, were hardly calming my nerves down.

Moving just what was needed to get the wheelchair going, I continued to keep a constant eye on the young woman I was following, knowing well-enough that she was doing the same about me.

While Sienna Khan was a very little developed character because Adam went full Stalin on her in Volume 5, the way she was mentioned, the way she had turned an entire peaceful organization in a full-fledged ‘Red Army’ was something that said much about her resourcefulness and her ambitious zeal.

In a direct fight I would be turned into mincemeat the moment I tried to reach out for my shotgun, but her death in canon pointed out her greatest weakness in an indirect fight.

She was too proud and too much paranoid to genuinely create a decentralized system to administer the White Fang and that caused the almost bloodless coup that saw her forcibly removed from power.

Hotheaded, she was supposedly easy to lead in a fight… but that was a silly edge to have, especially since I was pretty much useless in any confrontations as of now.

We are here.” Her tone was tightly restrained and I was half-convinced that she was studying how to get away with my possible murder, maybe even get praised for it in the process. If that was the case then I would be more than happy to say that we were sharing something in common.

Moving my attention away from planning her death, I glanced curiously at the small household that was supposed to be ‘owned’ by me.

It had just one floor and it was incredibly cramped inside. A single bathroom, two bedrooms and a medium-sized living room with kitchen mixed in.

My expectations were a little higher than this but… I could work around it.

As I had stated just now, the place was just one floor now, but given time and money, I could easily expand it and get it two or three floors taller.

I smiled a little and ignored the frown coming from Sienna. Maybe she was expecting me to actually whine about the size of the little flat but… I had much worse than this.

So you are going to join us for lunch?” Her frown deepened but she entered inside the house without saying nothing. I took it as a ‘yes’ and, after sending Ren and Nora to wash their hands, I was checking what was inside the fridge.

Some veggies and fruits, some fishes and… is that a salami?

Picking the piece of meat out from the cold, I stared at it with some hunger. It’s been a while…

Picking a small knife and some bread, I started to make eight sandwiches with the delicious meat, two for each individuals and… paused as I found Sienna giving me a long look.

It wasn’t a hateful one, something quite surprising, but one of confusion and… hunger?

I shrugged at it, hoping that it wasn’t going to kill me anytime soon and waited for the children to arrive.

Nora was the first one to rush out of the bathroom, her blue eyes quickly locking onto her waiting plate and she eagerly blitzed through the room for it.

She gave a quick look my direction, a thankful one, before munching at her sandwiches. Ren appeared slowly after, his pink eyes staring first at me, then at Sienna and finally at his own plate.

With a small smile, the young boy started to take the first bites out of the bread, smiling just a little as the taste was more than acceptable. I wonder if his family had been vegan but… I think it was too late now to discover that.

My eyes were set on the only one person that wasn’t eating, the Faunus refusing to satisfy her need for food and I sighed, picking my own sandwich and getting a bite out of it.

Moments passed and I could see her hesitantly reach out for the treats offered, pausing a moment to contemplate whenever or not I had ‘poisoned’ her food, then she took it in her hands and… here is the first bite.

Munching it a little, she gulped it down and… slowly started to eat the rest of it. Then she moved to the second and finally… she stared at me.

It was right in that moment that I noticed that the stare wasn’t for me but for my second sandwich. I narrowed my eyes at the silent request and was about to vocally deny her-

And for some reason I still offered it to her. I frowned, Nora giggled in her hands and Ren tried to appear clueless about what had just happened.

I looked at my hands, then as the smug-looking Faunus as she consumed my second treat slowly and cockily.

What the heck has just happened?

AN
    This chapter was actually difficult to write a while ago, as I had just returned from a minor break for some Uni's exam. Results? I did poorly and I had to get used to (once more) to my usual pattern.
    Also quick note: For those who wish to know how the sandwiches looks like (Here)

18. Par Tzu

Par Tzu The Indecisive Procrastinator

this looks familiar... is this a repost?
    Because I'm sure I have read this exact story before...

ehh whatever, watched!

JBukharin likes this.
  19. JBukharin

It's already present in FF, SB and SV. Still, each update here I'm giving it a polish over the grammar mistakes.

20. Threadmarks: Settling In (2)
    JBukharin

Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.” – Walt Disney

Chapter 7: Settling in (2)

I feel like my stupidity was starting to get redundant ever since I got yanked into Remnant.

Generally I would have been a little less naive in analyzing certain situations falling on my lap, but boy I had been completely clueless when I stepped inside the small building that was owned by the Menagerie Local Bank with the hopes of having a simple desk job.

Yes, I was aspiring to a boring workplace as first move in the social staircase of this world- but why?

Why would I be this much interested in having a stable income source that wasn’t remotely related to slaying nightmareish creatures?

Oh? You actually want a clear answer? I thought my rhetorical musing would have been… easy to pick up.

I guess I should give something easy to understand: I am bound to a wheelchair and, excluding insane pimping with dual gatling guns and turbo to the sweet whip, I was kind of worse than the my normal self.

I was worse than… useless? Maybe I could try something, being a white-belt of Jujitsu (a very rust one at that), something like faking my death to creatures that could perceive negativeness.

Actually that sound like the worst idea, let us forget about this… brain-fart?

Yes, brain-fart sound legitimately correct.

Anyway, I think I am skipping some ‘essential’ details of the early morning as… I think there are few steps between waking up and literally being inside my new workplace.
    My eyes snapped open at the unholy sun rays entering from the ill-covered window of the room, almost cooking part of my face at the scorching heat of the focused beam of light.

Usually’ I wouldn’t mind waking up early, something that was kind of forced upon my body by the hellish school hours ever since good ol’ Elementary school.
    Imagine waking up 5 in the morning at the age of 9, fighting back the sleepiness by watching for fifteen minute straight the same thing playing in the TV.

The same cartoons, sometime quite boring and repetitive, but good enough to ‘punch’ me out of my post-sleep state.

But I am digressing here and… (Sadly) I wasn’t a kid anymore.

The first thing my mind eagerly reminded me was that I had to prepare things not only for myself but also for the children.

Trying to pull a world record for getting prepared after just ten minutes inside the only bathroom, I was already rolling my chair toward the kitchen area.

Milk, check.

Chocolate, check.

Pancakes, check.

A cup of Macchiato coffee to further kick me up awake, check.

Sienna staring at me with a deadly expression, che- “GAH!”

I almost fell on the floor at the closeup of the woman, my heart rate picking up an uneasy pace at the scare so early in the day.

Good morning to you.” She sneered quietly, further aggravating my picture of her. While she wasn’t as bloodthirsty (yet), her pettiness made up for that negative connotation of her personality.

It didn’t help that she would ‘forget’ the simple peace branches I had been so cautious to extend to her, the Faunus only keen to accept temporary truces for the sake of… something.

Not even I could fully understand the inner workings of her brain but I was not shy to point out how annoyingly childish she would get for so little things.

I know, I just spent a single day knowing the ‘real character’ and I shouldn’t be this much crass in addressing the issue that was her opposition to my… existence.

But there was something surprising that I had noticed in the little time I know her and that was… she didn’t seem to give the same treatment to Nora and Ren.

She would address them quite calmly, almost as if she was talking to another Faunus or maybe a child one.

That meant that, while I was going to suffer her bias against humanity, Sienna was willing to spare the children this kind of ill behavior.

Something to be happy to know, but also something that sparked no little curiosity within my brain as I was now unconsciously trying to figure out why she was like this?

Trauma? Death? So many theories and little clue to genuinely build from.

What an infuriating woman, both in a common situation and in a simple analytical stance.

After recovering from the attempted ‘assassination attempt’, I decided to literally return the favor in the only way that I knew she wouldn’t have been able to avoid.
    I made her breakfast.

So when a giggling Nora entered the living room followed by a groaning Ren to enjoy the most important meal of the day, my attention was solely directed to the other adult there.

Sienna’s animal ears twitched in annoyance, her eyes narrowing first on the plate of delicious pancakes that I had prepared for her. Whatever protest was forming within her throat, it died instantly because of two minor events:

1) Her stomach grumbling and whining for food, loudly enough for everyone to hear;

2) The steamy cup of chocolate milk I was eager to place right near her;

Her eyes widened, feeling that her own body was conspiring against her because of the terribly delicious ambush I had set for her.

Sienna started to munch slowly at the first pancake with a sour look, defeat painted in her face as I was genuinely holding back some cackles at that delightful victory.
    What does it taste like? It tasted like pancakes.

Bye Papa!”

See you soon, Uncle!”

No matter how much I tried to understand how I was now the caretaker of two kids, the mere way they addressed me was… utterly adorable.

My heart risked to melt more than once and Sienna decided to help me move the wheelchair away from the gates of the local school.

While it wasn’t a legitimate school as it didn’t have a proper curriculum, the teachers there were genuinely good if not competent. At the end, if they wanted to become Huntsmen, the requirement of basic education was were low compared to what I had thought it to be.

Ozpin had confirmed in one of his rare quips and I found this whole development… dumb.

But what if a huntsman wants to retire?

Their record of service generally help them landing some job in preparatory schools, like Mr. Xiao Long and Mr. Branwen.

I tensed at the examples and the Wizard merely sighed.

You know, for being such an insufferable young man, you have a good understanding of the period we are currently working with.

And that means?

While you are foolish in your ways, I admit that your knowledge does help a lot in planning something regarding ‘our’ survival in this… unfortunate jump back in time.

Or is it a different universe? I decided to not pass through this idea as… I think that would be a terrible development indeed.

While I was cautious enough to not give too much of myself to Ozma, I was smart enough to know that some advice was essential in this ‘new’, brave world.

Plus it was helping me cope with the boring predicament of being a… vice-assistant to some clerk.

While anger stirred at this reveal when I reached for the receptionist for some indications, mostly because of Sienna’s snickering at my initial shocked reaction, I quickly understood why I was stuck with this petty job.

I was still a stranger and, no matter how much Ghira and Kali could have vouched for me, the chieftain had to fully test my genuine interest of joining not only Menagerie, but also the White Fang.

It was a legitimate concern, especially since I was the only human trying to reach out for the previously Faunus-only organization.

It was a punch in the stomach, but I had to bear it if I truly wanted to not be further questioned in the future.

So… I followed every single task I was given, showing little to no reaction while keeping an amiable mask to try and build some professional relationship with the simple clerk.

Trying to approach the assistant, my direct superior, would have been useless. Why? Well, who would befriend someone that could replace you if you do some wrong step while working?

The silent competition between men in a place like a bank wasn’t something dissimilar to mere politics.

And boy, did I make quite the backbone with my brief political career in my hometown.

The only way I would be able to survive getting mauled by the more experienced, senior worker was to exploit a good weakness the Dog Faunus had.

He didn’t have an acceptable relationship with our mutual boss, giving me the chance to not only get quickly cozy with the older Faunus, but also start to worm a small place in his heart to bring even more ‘legitimacy’ to any idea I could propose.

Social-evolution to its finest and I kind of cringed how I was literally climbing the social ladder that was mostly made by different kind of humans around me.

I am not racist, but I kind of feel guilty of being the one literally exploiting the overly-simplistic work system.

Remnant had a single currency, the Lien, and its entire economy was still making use of the Gold Standard.

Quick economic lesson: Gold Standard is when the value of a coin is dictated by the gold reserves available to a nation. So that meant that, while Dust was the most mined material, it was still outclassed for ‘worth’ by Precious Metals (Gold, Silver and Diamonds).

I could only wonder what would happen if someone (cough, someone very sneaky, cough) was to pay for the creation of an electric engine or the creation of proper gunpowder…

I was already envisioning the SDC’s stocks crashing harder than a poor guy getting RKO’d by Randy Orton, going bankrupt and that whole thing that happens to stagnant companies.

They could be developing something to replace Dust, something that could be easy to spread around the world and to monopolize too but…

They are so lazy.

It would have taken just an ambitious man with some mad mind born from that family to pull a full world domination without sparking some war.

This last thought left my mouth dry and I wondered if there was some coffee machine around.

At least we share a rightful need.

I am not addicted to it, tho.

Indeed, you are addicted to soda drinks. I am still surprised how you didn’t develop some serious illness with that attachment to sweet beverages-

Luck, badassery and being Italian.

I don’t even want to know what is an ‘Italian’ at this point.

As he shouldn’t, because that would open a can of worms that this world doesn’t need to feel.

But yeah, the brief reminder that I had been unable to taste some good stuff was enough to bring out the bitterness that came with the sense of withdrawal.

I sure would have killed for some Pep-si? I blinked mid-thought as I felt my previously empty hand filling up with something cool to the touch. It felt metallic too.

I glanced down and saw the brilliant blue color on the tin can held by my hand.

Turning it around, I saw its name. Pepsi.

I blinked, dumbfounded at the tin can, bringing it close to my eyes as this was unbelievable.

Before anyone asks no, Pepsi and other franchises from the ‘Real World’ don’t exist in Remnant… and yet I was holding the tin can.

I didn’t waste time in carefully opening the small lids and- sip the dark-colored liquid. My eyes widened once more at the familiar taste and I felt my tongue twitch happily at the frizzy sensation.

This was Pepsi.

But how? How did it appear in my hand?

No one around me but cabinets, no ‘portals’ that could have dropped it and yet…

It would seem like you are truly the most unique host, Mr. Bukharin.

Uh?

What you are trying to understand here doesn’t abide to the laws of science. This is a simple case of Conjuration.

SAY WHAT?!

AN

I am a weezard?! Is this the beginning of the Era of the Soda Fiend Archmage?!
    Little short chapter but… meh, I felt a little tired today.
    Also left a small fun reference in the last section which I suspect only the readers in SV will catch easily because… ‘Secret’!

21. Threadmarks: Settling In (3)
    JBukharin

Fat men take a cushion with them wherever they go.” – George R.R. Martin

Is that a fat joke?” – Behzinga (Ethan), Sidemen Yoga Challenge

Chapter 8: Settling in (3)

Imagine being bestowed with the gift of being able of defying the rules of reality, to bend the world to your will with a mere thought. The power to be a step above everyone else, the fantasy turning reality at your simple command.

The thing that tingled within your chest was an emotion close to wonder with a sprinkle of childish giddiness at the quick thought of being able to do so many interesting things that long were thought to be impossible to you as a human being.

Now that you have thought about this all and have been properly painted with this amazing sensation, you may now imagine my reaction when Ozzie decided to power-slam my plans back to reality by mentioning few factual points that… I knew were genuinely infuriating as those were reasonably true:

1) My newfound magic was… different from the standard knowledge. My first case, the conjuration of a simple tin can with the right content inside, was something that Ozpin, once one of the strongest sorcerers in his first life, would have not been able to accomplish even in his prime. Conjuration was considered a ‘myth’ back in that era, the one before Faunus, Semblances and the Grimm;

2) While quite unique just because of the first revelation, this ‘Magic’ still had to abide to some rules of the world to be available to someone. Something that limits it either because of the external environment or because of the user’s own ability to use it. The reason why the conjuration had been successful was because I had managed to conceptualize something that I was quite familiar with and I had managed to muster enough intent to commit the spell;

3) The precise limitations of Conjurations was something that worried me a little as the possible drawbacks and draining effect were nothing to scoff at. Was my magic closer to the Harry Potter’s one, one that could easily recharge without issue? Or was it something nearer to the Nasuverse’s Magecraft, which wasn’t actual magic but a mere imitation of the True Form?

This very last point was actually something utterly serious in the immediate, having drunk a beverage I had conjured I was dreading the worst if there was indeed something akin to degradation willed by the world itself.

Yet the former Headmaster seemed to keep a very optimistic mindset, saying that never in his life he had seen spells collapse without an external, magical manipulation that forced this phenomenon to happen.

Now that the expected surprise started to dilute away in my mind, Ozzie decided to spend the rest of my work hours to lecture me about the responsible use of this dangerous and formidable power.

I had to keep myself from using it again until I got better at conjuring things, I had to not try and experiment new abilities without being in a place where I could safely train myself in using magic without endangering anyone.

Of course the old wizard tried to express his desire to ‘teach me’ about the mysterious ways of his own magic and obviously to do so he would require that I fully relinquished the control over my body for him to ‘perfectly harmonize the process’.

And thus I cut down the connection the moment he mentioned such a dumb plan, feeling quite disappointed he was still going at it. While I was fine with listening to some of his sound advice once in a while, the same couldn’t be said about his antics of me letting him take over my body for the ‘sake of his duty’.

Returning back to work, I finished the rest of the shift with just a quarter of my mind still entertained by the idea of Magic. The ways that this new development opened were nothing to scoff at, especially since it created a new advantage I could use against Mami Salami and her clique.

While I was still the useless potato couch stuck in a wheelchair, I had the ‘power’ to keep up some distractions if I was ever going to deal with some spooky business during my period in Menagerie. Letting the boss pat my shoulder and praising my first day at work was something interesting, especially since the Dog Faunus, that had previously flaunted his good relations with the chief in charge of the bank, was now glaring daggers in my direction.

Silly pup, I ain’t made of pillows and if push was ever going to come, I will merely shove him off.

As I was slowly leaving through the open entrance of the building, I found myself jumped by a cloaked figure. The frame was familiar, but my mind was mostly sent to panic the moment I saw the horrifying mask the figure was wearing. I am not someone easily scared of zombies, but when you find yourself staring at a closeup of a very well-made mask of an undead creature, your instincts tend to kick in with some Horror Game/Movie PTSD at the sudden scene.

A shrill yell and I was on the ground – AND I CAN’T GET UP! - as I saw the being going still for a brief moment before finally having her arms around her stomach, the mask dropping and revealing one of the worst being in the world.

You may have feline features and I might be a cat-loving (animal-loving in general) man, but when you threaten my inner masculinity with those jumpscares… you are going to get a reaction out of me.

Said reaction was actually my leg moving right out of the chair and slamming hardly on her left shin. The effect was almost instantaneous as her surprise at the action was able to make her ignore the pain for a brief moment, before Sienna fell on her knees as she started to massage tenderly the pained leg. Mirthfully glancing turned into deadly glaring, but I was more than happy to return the staring with a growl.

I had expected her to finally react, to finally snap and pick a piece of me with the downfall of her career… but she merely sighed, limping right above me and helping me up.

“P-Paint me confused, but I was expecting-” “Some violent reaction?” She interrupted with a miffed tone and I sighed tiredly.

“You do seem like you are ready to maul me up, like from day one.” I retorted at the implicit racist labeling. “It’s only that, nothing about the fact you are-”

Words failed to address my distress as the tiger Faunus started to chuckle in her closed hand, her eyes closed as she started to push my chair towards home. She finally noticed that I was glancing at her with a weirded out expression and she sighed with a slight hint of amusement.

“You are just… so easy to pick apart, I guess.” She paused briefly slowly taking on the challenging mini-ramp in front of me. “It’s not because you are a human. It’s because you are quite chatty with your… predicament.”

She tapped at the wheelchair and I frowned. “I will have you know that from tomorrow morning I will be out of this ‘predicament’ and then-”

“You will have to deal with -that.” Now her finger was poking at my upper thigh and I flushed red at the idea she had taken notice of my chubbiness. I wasn’t outright fat, but I would be lying if I said I was something slim to look at.

As I said, potato couch.

“G-Give me some time and I will not be this rusty-ehi!” She continued to poke a little more, a small smile twitching at my uncomfortable reaction and… she knew I wasn’t completely offended by the whole situation.

Maybe it was because I could hardly feel any malice in her tone right now or because I feared what kind of action she might take if I replied negatively at her playing around my poor body. Of course, that wasn’t a free opening to openly grope me but… she was hardly doing that.

We finally reached home and- “DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-”

Thud

“-AD!”

My chest! Nora was giggling a little as she adjusted herself to stare right in my face, her blue eyes glowing a mad brightness. “School is so awesome!”

“R-Really, sweetie?” She turned around and I saw Ren peeking from his spot near the door with a sympathetic look at my current plight, nodding to agree at the girl’s statement. Seems like he had taken a quick understanding in treating the overly-cheerful Valkyrie and made way as we all entered inside.

“Miss Cake was super-nice! She gave me a cookie when I helped clean up the classroom and I made some friends too!”

As the pain dissipated, I managed a wide smile at her description of her day. “I am really happy that you enjoyed it, Nora.” She giggled as she continued to tell more about the school, the classroom and her friends, but only two details jumped to attention.

The first one was… Blake. The Belladonna child was a happy one, very open in this stage of her life and yet she was seen by both children quite alone back at school. Hardly interacting with her fellow classmates, the girl spent most of the time there to either study during lessons or reading some books.

Those were the telling signs that she was starting to grow into the outcast mentality- but of course people will ask ‘how do you even think about this?’ and I would gravely reply that I had been there.

Sitting alone, enjoying either a comic or a book and then ending up adopting the isolation as something ‘normal’ for me, labeling the rare interactions with others as something unique and… unneeded in the long-term.

Man, my childhood was that messy…

Returning back to reality I made some quick plans about this as I asked both Nora and Ren to keep to be there for the Cat Faunus and… I was then taken back from the second surprise of today.

Among the mass of Faunus children, one in particular managed to stood out from the rest of the class. Short, slightly scrawny and incredibly shy to the point of whimper at the mere approaching, Ilia Amitola was still in Menagerie in this point and time.

The girl was… still living in poor conditions, maybe her parents decided to then move to Atlas because of the lack of small jobs in the island as they tried to give their daughters some… better life.

I was supposed to feel merely sad by this development (or better, reminder) of this situation, but I wasn’t. The only thing that was there was a familiar metaphorical hole aching in my chest, returning some unpleasant memories of my early life.

The crisis back years ago hit my family’s income a lot. My father found his wage incredibly reduced, almost half from before the cuts were implemented, and we were all forced to move out from town.

Too much expensive living in a modest neighborhood and countryside was the best affordable at the time. School was different, the church was different and… it all felt like a cage.

A cage my parents had fought for years to either break or mold for the sake of necessity of fitting with my growth. Time passed and… things stabilized to a certain point.

Life was still uneasy for a long period of years, but I still managed to find some happiness in the little victories I could get out from the unfair system.

Sigh

I was glad that both children had gone to befriend the child and… that only Ren had managed a small success with his efforts. The girl had refused the overly-loud attempts but had been slowly coaxed out of the dark corner with some patience from the pink-eyed boy.

It wasn’t a full-fledged friendship yet, but I suspected from the few words the boy relayed during dinner that he was still going to give his best to pull the Chameleon Faunus out of that sad place she was thrown into.

Speaking of dinner, as soon as I reached the kitchen I decided it was high time to return the favor to Sienna about her musings over my rusty form. The fridge had been filled with some food I had managed to buy before going to the bank, salad being something I had initially wanted to buy as something to merely look at and nothing else.

Now the simple food was going to become part of something great! As I prepared some meatballs with tomato sauce for the kids, I finished… ‘cooking’ the ever-green piece of diet.

Sienna’s face fell the moment she glanced at the ‘piece of grass’ I had offered her, ready to swear a mountain if it wasn’t that the children were there to listen to any ‘bad words’. Trying to put up some resistance at her inherent hunger, the Tiger Faunus tried to not eat anything that day. Her stomach rumbled madly, eliciting some giggles from Nora and small smiles from Ren at the whole predicament.

But while the woman was uselessly trying to fend off her demanding belly, my hardship mostly went unheard. Munching at the unpleasant garba-delicious diet food, I found myself contemplating about why I had accepted this ‘self-roast’ for the sake of taking the woman out of commission for a while.

And even through I was ready to concede a moral defeat in front of this insane plate, I still managed to get a joke out of this as I offered Sienna ‘some scrapes’ off my plate. She glared at me for daring to add insult to the injury and the day concluded with her deciding to stay over.

Her sleeping quarter? My bed.

My new sleeping quarter? The couch.

...Seriously how did I end up like this? We aren’t in any shape or form engaging in that kind of relationship and yet she deemed right to enforce this kind of situations. But in that contemplation I found out a very curious thing about this couch.

Compared to the bed, the furniture was oddly more comfortable than my own bed.

Was this a victory or a loss for me?

--------dd-d-d-d-------------------d-d-d-dd--------------d-d-d-d-d-----------------dd--dd-d------------

AN

I bet someone is asking when is Raven going to make an appearance and… it will be once MC and Sienna will receive a strange ‘oversea’ job.

So… we got chibi Ilia, before she lost her parents and went full-hate on humans. Can it be changed? That is a yes, how much will it take? A long time.

22. AllyDoodle

So Sienna just decided to make herself at home at the SI's place?

Typical cat.

JBukharin likes this.