1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For a trial period of one week, allowed avatar size has been increased to 256kb, up from 51.2kb. During this time, if the forum seems to be loading slow, drop by the topic in the Announcements & Rules sub to let me know.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. QQ will be down for upgrades starting at 2030 EDT. Please be prepared and save any work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A small reminder that our moderators can't change usernames. You need to directly contact an admin for that, and tehelgee is the jobless one so bug him about it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. I've been informed by the hosting service that the server will go down at 5pm EST for a RAM replacement. It should only be down 5-15 minutes.
    Dismiss Notice

The Southern Temple (Gothic Quest)

Discussion in 'Questing and Roleplay' started by Gaemnomut, Sep 10, 2017.

Loading...
  1. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    Vote closes in 18 hours. I probably won't get any writing done right away since it's Christmas after all, but at least I can start rolling some dice to see how well you do.

    Edit: closed
    Cursing the fire lizard with weakness wins.
     
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. Threadmarks: Chapter 15: Hunting the Firelizard (part 2)
    Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    I hope you all had a nice Christmas, I certainly did. Anyway, the fight continues!

    [X] Use your magic to drain its strength.
    Hazred roll: [4+5+1+4]+5 = 19



    Fire and a curse

    You quickly make up your mind. The curse of weakness will be slow acting, especially on a creature of this size, so it will be good to use it sooner rather than later. Especially since the firelizard’s injuries will have weakened it already. Hunting will have been difficult with the limited mobility, and hunger and pain will have made it desperate. Once the curse begins its work it will be all the more effective, quickly eating away at what little remains of its vitality.

    You slowly back away, mentally preparing the invocation and waiting for an opportune moment. The beast eyes you, beady yellow eyes zeroing in on you with a cold, calculating stare. On its back the red sail fans out and sways gently in the wind. You can see ripples of heat emanating from it, as well as small puffs of smoke from its mouth with every breath.

    Gingerly it takes a step forward with its injured leg, clearly in pain, and hisses angrily, the thick red tail lashing out side to side. You lift your hands to perform the curse, spread your fingers in the required patterns, and begin to intone the short incantation. You don’t get to finish. The beast, in a speed that belies its injured state rushes forward a few steps, the torn sail on its back moving erratically due to the sudden motion. You see the gleaming white fangs in its gaping maw as it prepares to attack you with another stream of fire and for an instant you are frozen, then you dive to the right, rolling out of the way of another jet of flames.

    You can feel the wave of heat pass over you as you once again frantically scramble away, desperately trying to get out of its range. Beliar damn the cunning beast, either it feigned its weakness, acting as if the injured foreleg hampered it much more than it actually did, or the hunger is driving it to extremes. Either way, it was even more dangerous than you had thought.

    You finally manage to get your feet under you again and sprint away before turning around again to keep an eye on the terrifying beast, only to find it following you, bad leg awkwardly hopping with its injury, torn sail swinging wildly, tail thrashing to keep its balance, but inexorably bearing down on you. This time you don’t have the time to react in quickly enough. The maw is already open, the gleaming red tongue that is your prize clearly visible, and just as you turn around a torrent of fire erupts right in your direction.

    You barely have the time to shield your face with your arms as you stumble back, blistering heat and searing pain catching you full on. But miraculously, it stops. Just as you thought your life would end here the flames flicker out before the stream of fire fully starts, and the beast, wracked by spasms and coughing up smoke pauses its assault. You realize your chance, and quickly retreat to a safe distance of about ten meters. Even though your left forearm and hand are badly burnt and hurt like hell you manage to finish the curse during your brief respite. You consider trying to curse it again, but you aren’t sure if doing so will lead to diminishing returns or not, and you would rather not waste your magical reserves on a gamble in a life or death situation such as this. In any event, you hardly have the time or focus right now anyway. The creature shows no indication of feeling the effects of the curse yet and recovers all too quickly from its coughing fit. You’ve barely caught your breath and it’s already advancing again, eyeing you hungrily. The air around it is shimmering with heat, and around you the ground is either burning or smouldering in several places. Now what do you do?

    The fight is beginning to exhaust you, and the pain of your burned arm is distracting. (Personal power reduced by 1d5 until you find time to rest and heal)
    Current personal power (Hazred): 3d5+5


    How do you proceed?
    [ ] Write in

    (Write in how you want to continue in the next “round” of the fight. You have your magical ore sword and enough mana to hit it with lightning. You also have your bow, but you are currently far too close to use it. The beast is injured and cursed, but still quick and deadly. If you decide to press the attack, be sure to write in which body part you aim for. More information on the different options can be found in the previous chapter.)

    AN: You were rolling against the Firelizard’s DC of 25. Just as exhaustion and injury will reduce Hazred’s personal power, so will the DC go down as the battle takes its toll on the lizard. Rolling over the DC will let you win instantly, roll too low and bad things will happen. However, since Hazred isn’t privy to meta information the DC will not be posted from now on.
     
  3. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    So, in my opinion priority should go to not taking any more hits.

    We are injured already, so it will be a challenge to dodge and run as it is without going into the offensive.

    [X] Keep out of its reach, but don't lose sight of it
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  4. Navarque

    Navarque Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2017
    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    47
    [X] Keep out of its reach, but don't lose sight of it
    -[X] if you find an opening while it charge you fry it's head
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  5. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    Vote closes in 24 hours.

    You might want to discuss if you want to use the 'attack the head if you get the chance' subvote, because right now it's exactly 50/50 between yes and no :)
     
    Navarque likes this.
  6. DrStrangeLove

    DrStrangeLove Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    May 3, 2016
    Messages:
    2,498
    Likes Received:
    6,373
    [X] Keep out of its reach, but don't lose sight of it

    Lets not, that's where the thing we need to harvest is. :/
     
  7. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,186
    Likes Received:
    2,276
    [X] Keep out of its reach, but don't lose sight of it

    Damn I didn't get update notice for it
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  8. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    Alright then, that looks pretty conclusive.

    Vote is closed.
     
    WargWolf likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Chapter 15: Hunting the Firelizard (part 3)
    Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    AN: I decided to roll for three rounds of keeping out of it’s reach. I figured you would want to give the curse some time to set in and I wanted to keep this from growing tedious.
    [X] Keep out of its reach, but don't lose sight of it



    Cat and mouse

    You look at the advancing firelizard with trepidation. Whatever it was that made its fire breath fail earlier you can’t count on it happening again. Getting close to the beast is undoubtedly very dangerous. You got lucky once already and still took a nasty wound and you do not wish to test fate again.

    Under normal circumstances you would be abandoning this venture right about now. The risk of being burned to a crisp and serving as the lizard’s afternoon meal is just too high. But unfortunately, that isn’t really an option any more. You are already out of breath, turning your back on the monster and running would be extraordinarily foolish. Despite its injury it might very well be faster than you if it is desperate enough to ignore the pain. At least in this clearing you can keep it in your sights. The lizard already showed that it is adept at hiding and striking out of ambush. If you move into the denser forest around the clearing you’ll just invite another sneak attack. No, you will stay here and finish this. Besides, you need that tongue, and you’re not going to leave without it.

    The beast charges again, yellow eyes blazing with hunger. This time it advances a bit slower and instead of shooting the stream of fire right at you it swings it in an arc to catch you even if you roll to the side.

    Hazred roll: [3+5+4]+5 = 17

    You barely avoid it by diving backwards and letting the flames pass over you. An intense, suffocating heat presses down on you for a moment, leaving you dazed. Still, your instincts scream at you to move or die, and so as soon as the fire passes, you jump up and run away again – head spinning from the shock of the near-death encounter. Your back hurts and you realize you must have bruised it when you dove out of the way of the attack.

    You are growing tired. (-1 personal power until you rest)
    You are bruised and aching. (-1 personal power until you heal)


    To catch your breath, you dodge behind the trunk of a large fallen tree, peering over the top at the monster that is once again approaching. It is limping now, and seems slower than before. It eyes your shelter warily and swings its head from side to side, left to right, probably evaluating which way to go around. Slowly it advances again, keeping its gaze fixed on what little it can see of your head poking over the obstacle. You wait, glad for the opportunity to rest a bit and ready to dart away in whatever direction the beast doesn’t chose.

    When it is only about three meters away it suddenly rears up on its hind legs and another torrent of flame shoots over your cover. You quickly duck behind it, feeling deadly heat once again wash over you. The torrent stops, you hear rustling leaves, and in a terrifying instant you realize you lost sight of it. You jump up and sprint away, just in time to avoid the beast as it comes rushing around the right side of fallen tree.

    Hazred roll: [5+5+3]+3 = 16

    You feel the flames licking at your heels as you run away, but you reacted in time to avoid any further damage. Beliar damn this creature, that’s another time it almost killed you. The beast lets out a frustrated hiss that sends shivers up your spine and comes after you again, forcing you to dodge and weave through a few jagged rocks along the side of the clearing to once again put distance between the two of you. Big as it is, the monster has trouble squeezing through the narrower gaps between rocks which gives you some time. You desperately look for another obstacle to put between you and it. You find none. Reluctantly you run back to the same fallen tree from before, taking shelter on the other side this time. The ground around your feet is still warm, and the wood is blackened and burnt from the intense heat of the flames, but the tree still holds. You’ll just have to make sure not to fall for the same trick again.

    You peer over the trunk at the lizard emerging from the rocks. The curse is doing its work, that much is certain by now. The scaly red tail is dragging behind it in the grass, the beast no longer having the strength to lift it. The remnants of the torn sail are also drooping a bit, and the heat that radiated from it seems to have lessened. It hisses angrily, eyes still fixed on you, and despite everything, continues to move towards you. This time however it is limping heavily, and you can make out its laboured breathing.
    Despite your own growing exhaustion, the sight of it struggling to breath gives you hope.

    You are in pain, both your burnt arm and your bruised back hurt from the exertion. (-1 personal power until you rest)


    Once again the beast stalks towards you while you catch your breath. Once again it rears up and spits fire over the log, only this time it rushes forward heedless of any pain. Rearing up again it leans over the trunk and blasts fire after its fleeing prey instead of wasting time by going around.

    Hazred roll: [1+3+2]+2 = 8

    The gambit payed off for the fire breathing lizard, partially at least. You didn’t expect the second burst to come so soon and in desperation you had to throw yourself out of the way. There were rocks to the right, so you rolled left and fell right on your burnt arm. Pain lanced through you and you scream. Dizzy from the pain and cradling your throbbing arm you get back to your feet and stumble off, panting and gasping.

    Luckily the beast’s own injuries and exhaustion prevent it from coming after you quickly. It just doesn’t have the energy to fully pull its massive body over the log anymore. Rearing up to lean over it was the best it could do.
    Turning around you see it slowly slide back down on the other side. You walk away to catch your breath, glancing back every few seconds but it doesn’t emerge from behind the fallen tree. All you can see are parts of its sail sticking up behind it, gently swaying.

    Eventually, after no movement happens for a solid minute and you are breathing normally again your curiosity gets the better of you and you decide to take a look. Circling around the fallen tree in a big loop to keep distance between you and the beast you make your way forward until you see it.
    It’s collapsed to the ground, its legs seemingly no longer having the strength to hold it up. Lying on the charred ground among a few smouldering fires it lifts its head when it sees you and manages a subdued hiss, but that is all. Is it done? Is it finally going down?

    Your stamina is waning, you won’t be able to keep going for much longer. (-1 personal power until you rest)
    Your left arm is burnt, bruised, and in terrible pain. You won’t be able to use it for the remainder of the fight. (-1d5 personal power until you heal)
    Seeing the monster collapse has filled you with hope and determination. (+2 personal power for the next turn)

    Current personal power (Hazred): 2d5+3


    How do you proceed?

    [ ] Write in

    (With your left arm out of commission you can no longer use your bow and exhausted as you are you’ll be able to cast one, maybe two, bolts of lightning.)
     
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    Any idea how to finish it off? I wouldn't like to use lightening to do that, if we have other options.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  11. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    You can get as creative as you want with the surroundings and the tools you have. Don't worry, if you propose anything that Hazred would think is completely unrealistic to work I'll let you know.
     
  12. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    Carefully check if it is still conscious -> try to slide our blade between its ribs?

    We don't have to come near the head to be sure. We could throw pebbles, kick its injured leg, poke its eye with the sword...?

    Also yes, I know I play all my characters as cowards. Brave Sir Robin is my idol.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  13. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,186
    Likes Received:
    2,276
    Hmm it lies under big tree, right? can we us some sort of magic to cut big branch above lizard and kill it with it?
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  14. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    I think Hazred would prefer to be alive over being remembered for his bravery. There isn't even anybody here to witness your valiant death XD

    The firelizard is lying next to the fallen tree, not directly under it. Using magic to cut branches is going to be difficult, but you do have a pretty sharp sword that you could use maybe.
     
  15. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,186
    Likes Received:
    2,276
    Would something like [] Use magic to move your sword and stab firelizard from safe distance
    be okay? I don't think there was levitation magic in Gothic, but I think it is more on Piranha Bites fault than for any lore reason
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  16. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    There actually was a telekinesis spell, but alas, Hazred does not know it yet. Currently you are pretty much a novice in the arts of magic, and a self taught one at that (barely first circle basically). You will learn more and stronger spells as the story progresses and Hazred grows more powerful.
     
  17. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    Oh for Beliar's sake!

    [X] Carefully check if the damn lizard is really out of it
    -[X] Ram your sword between its ribs, try to hit the heart
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  18. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,186
    Likes Received:
    2,276
    [X] Carefully check if the damn lizard is really out of it
    -[X] Ram your sword between its ribs, try to hit the heart
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  19. DrStrangeLove

    DrStrangeLove Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    May 3, 2016
    Messages:
    2,498
    Likes Received:
    6,373
    [X] Carefully check if the damn lizard is really out of it
    -[X] Ram your sword between its ribs, try to hit the heart
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  20. Xavies

    Xavies Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2016
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    17
    Wow, this Quest is still going. Good Thing that i decided to visit this site again.

    [X] Carefully check if the damn lizard is really out of it
    -[X] Ram your sword between its ribs, try to hit the heart .

    FireLizards should be killed as quickly as possible. Those beasts are really deadly.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  21. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    Vote will close in about 10 hours.

    Nice to see you back :)

    Edit: closed
     
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Xavies likes this.
  22. Threadmarks: Chapter 15: Hunting the Firelizard (part 4) and the return home
    Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    [4] Carefully check if the damn lizard is really out of it
    -[4] Ram your sword between its ribs, try to hit the heart.

    Votes from before:
    [3][Harpies] Send them out to see if they can find a swampshark that might make an easy target. (DC: 16)
    [3][MINE] 0 Slaves working
    [3][TEMPLE] Beliar statue I (0/10 done)


    Hazred roll: [1+1]+3+2 = 7
    Harpy roll: [2+2]+10 = 14 → Failure
    Build progress: [1+2+2+2] = 7

    +10 Gold (normal income from the Sahelim businesses)




    A fiery demise

    The lizard eyes you warily and hisses weakly one last time. It seems weak and drained, as if it has trouble even lifting its head to look at you. It’s breath comes in shallow rattles, and soon the eyes close and the head sinks to the blackened ground. Just to be sure you take up a few stones to throw at it and aim for the wounded leg, figuring that would draw the most reaction. Unfortunately, you miss with most of them, since you’re keeping quite the distance to be safe and you only have one arm at the moment and so most of them plink off the creatures thick scaly hide with no reaction at all.

    You decide to cautiously advance. You creep around it in a large circle until you are coming from its left to make sure that even if it wakes you are positioned advantageously on its injured side and, keeping a careful eye on it to be ready to jump back at any second in case it moves, you slowly move closer.

    As you approach you can feel the heat radiating from the fallen creature, around the sail the air is almost shimmering with it. On the ground around it some small flames are still flickering from the previous attacks, and your eyes sting a bit from the smoke and vapour they produce.
    Being this close to the beast is terrifying and you grip your sword tight enough with your good hand to make your knuckles turn white. You take the last few steps and stand right next to it, the massive splayed out on the ground at your feat. What is left of the ruined sail is still standing tall and almost as high as you, and the afternoon sun reflects off the gleaming red scales of its hide.

    You lean forward over one of its legs instead of stepping closer to avoid touching it and, once you are in a good position, lift the sword high for the final strike, aiming carefully to slide the glimmering blade in between the ribs where you suspect the heart to be.
    Just as you bring the blade down you notice the yellow eyes flick open and the beasts tail whip into your side. Mid strike you are unbalanced and cant jump out of the way quick enough and the tail hits your arm right as the blade begins to pierce the scaly red hide. A small gash appears and drops of red blood spray out, each one burning up as soon as they touch the air. The wound burns as well, flames licking at the air where the blood spills out. Meanwhile your sword is wrenched from your grasp by the strike of the force and instead of sinking into the beast goes flying off into the distance.

    With a furious hiss the firelizard rears up, and drawing on a final burst of strength it begins to turn around in your direction. The movements are cumbersome and ungainly from pain and exhaustion, but this close it doesn’t need to be precise. Realizing the mortal danger you are in as you see the maw open up you do the only thing you can think of and instead of jumping backwards you lunge forward, channelling your entire remaining reserves of mana into the rune, and plunge your hand right into the burning wound to release the strongest bolt of lightning you can manage directly into its body.

    You notice yourself screaming as you feel the surge of magical power flowing through you and your fingers start to redden and blister in the incredible heat, but it’s nothing against the sounds the firelizard produces as you kill it. It howls and screeches as it twitches in violent spasms, limbs and tail thrashing wildly, erratically breathing out plumes of fire and smoke.

    The tail whips around again behind you, this time striking you in the already injured hand and you feel pain like nothing you have felt before slip its icy hooks into your brain. You feel week and nauseous and unbearably light at the same time as struggle to push every last drop of energy into your rune to keep up the attack.

    You do your best to hold on and stay conscious as the heat around you rises to almost unbearable levels, knowing that if you pass out now you will die for sure. Focusing on drawing Beliar’s power through your core, you feel chaos and madness gnawing at your mind as the magic itself seems to come alive with the prospect of dealing death.

    In the end you win. It costs you every ounce of power and will you have but the beast dies among fire and crackling blue arcs of electricity and you stumble back and collapse. You fall into darkness as weakness overcomes you and you pass out.

    You dealt death today and prevailed against a mighty foe, proving your strength and killer instinct when it counted. Beliar is pleased. (+1 Favour)


    You dream of the night and a coming storm, of swirling clouds darkening the horizon in every direction, and wake with fading memories and a vague feeling of approval. Blinking as your eyes adjust to the dying light you see a harpy lazily circling overhead, watching over your fallen form. The sun is setting, colouring the sky with a deep orange, and you hear the beginnings of the familiar night time cries of the wild creatures of the Svengali. You ache all over but slowly manage to sit up and look around.

    Retracing the steps you took as you staggered away before you fell you find the the body of the firelizard, the once proud beast that burned hot with rage and fire now unmoving and dead, and cold to the touch. You gingerly move closer, aware of how weak you are now and check to see if it is truly dead this time.

    It is.

    With the eyes burst, the sail completely ripped up from the violent spasms, and muscles twisted into knots of agony the beast is surely very dead. It looks almost as if it had been torn up from the inside out, and in a way you reckon, it kinda was. The ground around it is completely blackened and scorched where the beast’s blood was spilled, and the tough, scaly hide around the wound you inflicted is burst open in places, rent open from the force channelled through it.


    You look around for your sword and find it lying a few meters away in the grass, still as beautiful and deadly as ever. You carefully pack it away. Your look for your pack and find it still where you left it when you first reached the clearing, thankfully untouched by any animals. It makes sense that most of them would have avoided a firelizard’s territory, but now that it is dead they will be returning.

    While moving around you feel some strength returning to your limbs, and fresh pain creeps up on you. Your back is bruised and hurting, but that pales in comparison to the damage your arm took. With the battle rush of adrenalin receding you feel the full force of the pain. The left hand and forearm are red, glistening , and even blackened in places from the fire blast, and where the tail hit your hand the last two fingers are mangled. Trying to move them makes you almost black out from the pain and you resolve not to try it again until you’re safely back at the temple.

    You eat some of your rations and take stock of your injuries. Your back is aching from your fall, but that is a minor inconvenience and will easily heal in time. (-1 personal power for 2 turns or until healed)
    Your right hand, the one you stuck into the wound and channelled the lightning through is reddened and beginning to blister, but in the end not that bad of an injury either. That too should heal without much issue. (-2 personal power for 1 turn or until healed)
    Your left arm however is another matter entirely. It is badly burned, and where the tail swipe hit your hand you have two badly broken fingers. You set them as best you can, barely managing it through the intense throbbing pain, and bandage your arm as best you can with strips from your shirt. Your arm will be unusable for a while, and a constant hindrance as long as it hurts as badly as it does now. You’ll might even have to look for a healer in case it gets worse. (-2d5-2 personal power for at least 3 turns or until healed, possibility of permanent scarring)

    Still, you have one good arm left, and while your right hand hurts it’s still usable, so you begin cutting up the beast to get your trophy. You carefully pry open the jaws, up close they are even larger than they appeared before, and stare into the many fangs that line it. Gleaming white and viciously sharp, and between them the faintly glowing tongue, still hot even now. It’s thick and heavy, and almost a foot long, going from a dark red, almost black, at the tip to a vivid orange at the base. Miraculously it’s still intact. You cut it free and carefully seal it in the jar you brought along with you.

    You have acquired the fire tongue, the second component for the Ulu-Mulu!

    You don’t stop there though, quite the opposite. Since night is setting in and you do not want to wander through the swamp after dark you decide to spend some time taking the beast apart for more trophies. It’s a visceral pleasure to dismember the creature that almost managed to kill you several times. First you take the teeth, breaking them out of the jaw with brute force. You only manage to take about half of them intact, but those look magnificent and impressively deadly. You look at the claws as well, but they are rather blunt and don’t look too impressive so you decide to spare yourself the trouble. The eyes are unrecoverable as well unfortunately, ruined and burst as they are they are completely worthless.

    You do remember Razul’s teachings about skinning the shadowbeast, and decide to try to apply it here as well. The hide is hardly intact. The left side is almost completely ruined by the wound Mor-Narog’s axe inflicted and the ripples of power that tore through it at the end, but the rest is still intact. In any event, it’s still a fire lizard’s hide and thus impressive and valuable either way. It was an impressive beast, old and fully grown, with hard, blood red scales. Skinning it is harder than you thought, especially with only one good arm, but you manage in the end, taking almost the entire skin and rolling it up in a nice bundle.

    Wounded and battered as you are carrying it all back to the temple through the swamp will be difficult and something you wouldn’t normally risk, but with a harpy guiding you away from any danger you feel safe enough to attempt it.

    Before you finally settle in for the night you light a few fires to keep away scavengers. While gathering up kindling for the fires you are lucky enough to stumble over some healing herbs and you eat them as well. They dull the pain a bit and with should hopefully help your body fight off any infection. You sleep a deep, deep sleep that night.

    You are rested again. (Remove all exhaustion debuffs, setting current personal power to 2d5)

    - - -​


    Returning

    Despite your injuries you arrive back at the temple safe and sound two days later. The black tendrils of Beliar’s will ripple as if welcoming you home when you step through the entry portal and you feel your reserves of mana swell with magic as they envelop you. You drink a healing potion from your reserves and immediately feel better. Your injuries aren’t gone, but you feel your vigour returning and the pain recede a bit.

    Your slaves have made good progress in restoring the statue during your absence, repairing most of the cracks an the rock and polishing the metal parts to a nice shine under the watchful eyes of their undead guardians. It is almost done, just a few days more and the centre piece of the temple will be returned to at least a semblance of its former glory. The slaves almost look relieved to see you. You did not tell them of your plans, and when you did not return for five days they must have feared you had died, leaving them at the mercy of the zombies or the beasts of the swamp that might wander in.

    They eye your injuries and the rolled up fire lizard’s skin with awe and trepidation, the implication that you are strong enough to kill one of the dreaded beasts dampening their hope of escape by yet another fraction.


    Mor-Narog however is overjoyed to see you. “You back! I fear you die in fire breath. But you return good. Well, almost good. Feel fire breath as well, hmm?” He laughs. “Now we both have burn on left arm, be almost like brothers. Both fight beast, but where I fail and only wound, you win and kill. Very good. Very good. Perhaps hope to return with Ulu-Mulu not foolish after all.”

    “Yes, I killed it and I got the tongue. Our pact still stands, as soon as I have the Ulu-Mulu I will see you restored to your tribe. I would not have succeeded had you not wounded it before, so it is almost as much your victory as it is mine.”

    Mor-Narog smiles. “We make good team then, you and I. Come, you might not trust what I give you after poison tea, but I have have herbs in my pouch that help with healing.”
    He pulls some leaves and berries from the various bags and pouches strapped to his belt and mashes them together on a flat rock until they are a fine paste. It smells sharp and sweet at the same time and you have the suspicion that it will burn horribly if it touches your wounds. You decide to trust the orc and indeed it does. You clench your teeth and groan in pain as he smears it along your burned arm, but soon after the initial sting the pain lessens and a nice cooling sensation spreads through your limb. It feels ...clean and somehow healthy, and you feel immense relief as the throbbing pain of the burn cools for a while.

    You rebandage your arm and show Mor-Narog the firetongue. His eyes light up. “You have horn, and have tongue. Only teeth and tusks to go before can build Ulu-Mulu. Is sign of great respect among orcs, and you start to earn it. Very rare that human make. If finish, then orcs will listen. Still kill if no like what say, but will listen first.”

    - - - ​


    Revelations and the spoils of war

    Before you head out to your other duties you decide what to do with the hide and teeth you took. The teeth are beautiful and impressive, and will surely fetch a nice price if sold, despite the fact you only got about half of them intact. You reckon that for all of them together you could get at least 40 or 50 gold.

    You could also keep them as a trophy, and maybe make yourself a necklace out of them. It might look a bit gaudy, but the brilliantly white, razor sharp teeth are impressive even if one doesn’t know where they came from.

    Or you could just store them away for some future use. You have no clue what you might need them for, but perhaps they’ll come in handy some time. Instead of drilling them full of holes for a necklace or selling them you’ll stash them away in case some opportunity presents itself.

    What will you do with the teeth?
    [ ][Teeth] Sell them. (worth 40+personal power in gold)
    [ ][Teeth] Make yourself a trophy necklace. (+1 personal power)
    [ ][Teeth] Just keep them for now.


    The same goes for the hide. Despite the damage it is certainly an impressive piece, huge, blood red and with beautiful scales. In your opinion the damage makes it almost more impressive, as the tears and cuts tell the story of the battle that killed it. You have no immediate use for the hide as you don’t have the skills to fashion it into clothing or anything like that, but just like the teeth you could keep it instead of selling it. If you sell it it will largely depend on your skill to get a high price, as you’ll need to present the battle damage as a feature, rather than a downside.

    What will you do with the hide?
    [ ][Hide] Sell it. (worth 30+5x personal power in gold)
    [ ][Hide] Just keep it for now.


    You haven’t been to Silmorkal in a while now, but you suspect the next larger slave trader’s market will be again soon. (2 turns from now) Having money on hand should be useful in case you plan on going there, and the restoration of temple will always require more funds as well of course.

    . . . . . ​


    That night, as you pore over the sheet of paper with the instructions for the Ulu-Mulu you found in Kaffu’s library so long ago for the exact way to store the tongue until you are ready to use it (you keep it in a specially prepared oil you make from various herbs you gather outside in the swamp) the flock of harpies returns with their scouting report. Unfortunately they were unsuccessful in locating a lone swamp shark, all they found was a larger herd roaming around to the south east of the valley. You take out the map you bought from Razul to have the elder harpy show you exactly where to mark the spot down as a place to avoid when you suddenly see it.

    You finally realize why you had such a strange feeling when you first looked at the map. You recognized the handwriting as something you had seen before. If looked at separately one wouldn’t see it, but lying side by side…
    The instructions for the Ulu-Mulu and the map where clearly written by the same person. The old hunter Razul.

    - - -​


    Gold: 126
    Favour: 14
    Slaves: 4
    Power (Hazred): 2d5 (2-10)
    Power (Harpies): 2d5+10 (12-20)


    Please vote for what to do with the trophies you took. You may also vote for one option from each spoiler.
    What are your plans for this turn?

    [ ][Hazred] Explore the area around the temple. Perhaps you’ll even find some healing herbs or something.!
    (No DC, but I will roll for your findings should you take this option.)

    [ ][Hazred] Go find a healer in Silmorkal to take a look at your injuries.
    (No DC, but I will roll for how well things go in general should you take this option.)
    -[ ][Hazred] Ask Rhea for help.
    (The priestess of Adanos is an accomplished magical healer that works for free. However, it is very likely that she will notice that you have been using Beliar's power.)
    -[ ][Hazred] Ask Maha for help.
    (She is a capable alchemist and likes you, but could also ask questions about your injury you might be unwilling to answer. Her services also come at a price. You reckon it will cost 40 to 70 gold at least.)
    -[ ][Hazred] Try to find another healer where you can stay anonymous.
    (Descreet, but probably also expensive. 60 to 90 gold at least.)

    [ ][Hazred] Investigate Razul and his connection with the orcs.

    [ ][Hazred] Go through the old books at the temple to see if you can find information on the creatures you need to hunt for the Ulu-Mulu, or the runes from the amulet you found in the goblin cave.
    (DC: 10 to find information on the creatures and to reduce the DC of the hunting actions, 15 to find out about the runes.)

    [ ] Hunt the creatures needed for the Ulu-Mulu! You are injured, and don’t want to risk fighting another beast so soon.
    -[ ] Kill a swamp shark!

    (DC: 25)
    -[ ] Slay the troll of the plateau!
    (DC: 40)

    [ ] Instead of hunting for the trophies, you could see if you can find someone in Silmorkal willing to sell them to you.
    -[ ] Buy a bag of swampshark teeth.

    (DC: 11, Cost: (55-personal power roll) gold)
    -[ ] Buy troll tusks.
    (DC: 13, Cost: (135-personal power roll) gold)

    [ ][Hazred] Check out the damaged ship on the southern coast.

    [ ][Hazred] Deal with the bandits.
    You will attack on your own, killing who you can and enslaving the rest.
    (DC with no further bonus: 33. You may choose as many bonuses as you want.)
    -[ ][Hazred] Bring the harpies along.
    (Reduces DC by 7, any harpy action will be cancelled for this turn)
    -[ ][Hazred] Ask Beliar for a favour.
    (Reduces DC by 7, costs 3 favour)
    -[ ][Hazred] Ask Razul if he wants to go bandit hunting.
    (Reduces DC by 7, costs 20 gold)
    -[ ][Hazred] Bring along some zombies.
    (Reduces DC by 9)

    [ ][Hazred] Tip the archon‘s militia off to their location and collect a bounty.
    (No DC, but a better roll will allow you to negotiate a better reward. You will get 5 times your roll in gold.)

    [ ][Hazred] Spend some time with the harpies to improve their oppinion of you.
    (DC: 14, Cost: 15 gold, cancels any harpy action picked for this turn)
    What will you have your harpies do?

    [ ][Harpies] Spy on Ivan‘s watch.
    The paladin Ivan and his knights guard the pass that connects the Svengali to the rest of the island. It would be nice to know what they are up to.
    (DC: 15)

    [ ][Harpies] Send them out to see if they can find a swampshark that might make an easy target.
    Even though they failed last time it might be a good idea to try again. If your harpies find a swampshark that’s alone, wounded, or an easy target for some other reason you’ll have a significantly easier time getting those teeth you need.
    (DC: 14, (Reduced from 16 to 14 because they already searched some areas of the Svengali last time.)

    [ ][Harpies] Locate the troll on the plateau.
    Mor-Narog is sure there is one there somewhere, probably further north where the mountains start. Unless you want to buy the tusks or wait until it dies on it’s own, you’ll have to kill it eventually. And the first step towards that is finding it.
    (DC: 13)

    [ ][Harpies] write in!
    I‘ll reserve the right to veto anything that wouldn‘t work or would derail the quest.
    How many of your slaves should be sent to the gold mine?

    [ ][MINE] Write in.
    You may only sent ten slaves at a time into the mines. Once you reach temple level 2 and upgrade the gold mine, this cap will increase.
    Any slave not sent to the mine will work on restoring the temple.
    Which areas of the Temple should be restored/upgraded?

    [ ][TEMPLE] Beliar statue I (7/10 done)
    The statue is the focus of the temple‘s power and a true wonder crafted by the black mages of old. Restore the great Beliar statue in the main hall for a continuous trickle of favour as well as the ability to call in some other boons later down the line.
    (Costs: already payed)

    [ ][TEMPLE] Living quarters I (0/10 done)
    In order to really grow the Temple's power you will need to have people living here full time. This first upgrade will allow you to securely (more or less) hold an unlimited number of slaves. Without it you are limited to 10. Additionally, future upgrades may only be unlocked after this has been done, since they rely on manpower to function.
    (Costs: 70 Gold)

    [ ][TEMPLE] Personal Chambers I (0/10 done)
    As the master of the temple it is only right for you to have proper chambers. Having a place away from the city and the prying eyes of the paladins will allow you to train in secret and focus on your studies of the dark arts without interruption, growing your power.
    (Costs: 70 Gold)

    [ ][TEMPLE] Temple Defence I – Harpy Roost (0/10 done)
    You will have your slaves dig upwards from the tower you found until they reach the top of the cliffs and prepare a place there for the harpies to build a new nest by the temple. They’ll make excellent sentries that should spot most threats that are approaching the temple unless they are very well hidden.
    (Costs: 70 Gold)

    AN: Thanks to DrStrangeLove and WargWolf for your continued proofreading efforts. Your help is much appreciated.
    Also, for those that are interested, now that the fight is over I can show you how the rolls went behind the scenes.
    The firelizard started out with a power of 25 when you initially cursed it, and the curse started to drain 3 points for each combat round that passed. You rolled 19, 6 under, and suffered your first burn.
    The next round it was at 22 vs. your roll of 17. You were 5 under and fell, injuring your back.
    Then 19 vs. your roll of 16 after that, which was only 3 under, so you didn’t suffer any additional injury, just got more tired.

    Then pain and exhaustion set in for the lizard and it began to lose an additional point each round. Still, you rolled an 8 against its 15, which was 7 under, and you fell on your already injured arm.

    The curse ticked again, leaving the firelizard at 11, at which point it decided to conserve its strength and try to bait you into coming closer by basically playing dead. You rolled two 1s, and if you hadn’t had the hope/determination bonus from before you would have been terribly injured and would have had to flee. So, at seven and 5 under, you still fell for the trap, but managed to kill it at the cost of injuring yourself even more.

    I hope you all think the roll results were fair. You did challenge a powerful beast, and despite everything, managed to kill it.
     
  23. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,186
    Likes Received:
    2,276
    Uff that was tense as fuck. So glad we managed that. That curse was life saver. Hmm lets me think about plan...

    [ ][TEMPLE] Beliar statue I (7/10 done)
    To finish it off
    [ ][MINE] 1 slave
    With 3 needed for statue restoration, that trickle of favour should be get as fast as possible.

    [ ][Hazred] Go find a healer in Silmorkal to take a look at your injuries.
    (No DC, but I will roll for how well things go in general should you take this option.)
    -[ ][Hazred] Ask Maha for help.

    Safer option and it should be easy enough to explain. "After all firelizards' parts are worth more than her services. + with slave market incoming, you want to have as much money as possible"

    [][Hide] Sell it. (worth 30+5x personal power in gold)
    if hide was more undamaged, I would want to make armour out of that, but for now it is better to sell it. Would combo nicely with going for Maha.

    [ ][Teeth] Sell them. (worth 40+personal power in gold)
    [ ][Teeth] Make yourself a trophy necklace. (+1 personal power)

    And I am torn between those 2. Gold is always good, but I am unsure if personal power not even more so. Gaemnomut Is that bonus to number of dices or how many faces those dices will have? I forgot about that...
     
  24. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    Glad to see you liked it. :)

    Neither, the +1 would be a permanent flat bonus added at the end.
     
    Aigloss likes this.
  25. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    [X][Teeth] Make yourself a trophy necklace. (+1 personal power)

    [X][Hide] Sell it. (worth 30+5x personal power in gold)

    [X][Hazred] Go find a healer in Silmorkal to take a look at your injuries.
    -[X][Hazred] Ask Maha for help.


    [X][Harpies] Send them out to see if they can find a swampshark that might make an easy target.

    [X][TEMPLE] Beliar statue I (7/10 done)

    [ ][MINE] ? slave

    [X][MINE] 1 slave

    More Personal Power is always better than some lousy gold. Also, I am not sure how many slaves we can send down to mine gold. How many do we have and how many will be needed for the statue?

    It wouldn't be truly Gothic if one wouldn't spend half the time cursing the developers for the difficulty and the other half for the stupid fight mechanics. So don't worry, getting munched on by strong beasts is part of the authentic experience!
     
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Xavies and Gaemnomut like this.
  26. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,186
    Likes Received:
    2,276
    I spend waay to much time figuring out how to kill that damm sheep in Gothic 2...

    Also I think every slave does 1 point of rebulid, but I am not sure. Voting for sending 3, unless OP will tell otherwise

    [X][Teeth] Make yourself a trophy necklace. (+1 personal power)

    [X][Hide] Sell it. (worth 30+5x personal power in gold)

    [X][Hazred] Go find a healer in Silmorkal to take a look at your injuries.
    -[X][Hazred] Ask Maha for help.


    [X][Harpies] Send them out to see if they can find a swampshark that might make an easy target.

    [X][TEMPLE] Beliar statue I (7/10 done)

    [x][MINE] 1 slaves

     
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  27. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    Hmm, looks like I forgot to update the mechanics page.

    Anyway, to quickly summarize the slave system, you currently have 4 slaves that each generate 1d3-1 'labour points' per turn. They can be sent either into the mines or to a build project. If sent to a build project those points of labour will further the build prgress. If sent to the mines you get 5 gold per point.

    If a build project is completed without using up all the points of labour the slaves working on it produced, those points will instead go into mining gold, although only at 50% efficiency. (remaining points*2,5 round down = gold gained)

    So to answer your question, each slave currently generates 1 point per turn on average, but it could also be 0 or 2. You can gamble on 3 or even 2 being enough and get more gold, or you could play it safer, at the expense of mining less gold this turn.

    Also, just as a reminder, until you upgrade your living quarters you can only hold a maximum of 10 slaves at the temple, and until you upgrade the gold mines again only a maximum of 10 slaves can work in the mines at once.

    So true. XD Although I have to say that it does highten the satisfaction when you come back three chapters later and 20 levels higher and just curbstomp everything that used to be a mortal danger.
    Right now you're in the 'getting munched on' phase of the game, the 'curbstomp everything' phase will come later if you live long enough ;-)
     
  28. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    Mages were never OP in Gothic. (But didn't Innos's Eye make the mage fucking invulnerable for the last part of 2?)

    I look forward to swarming the landscape with armies of skeletons and demons.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  29. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,976
    Likes Received:
    5,116
    Imho mages were pretty powerful in the later chapters, but they had a really hard time in the beginning. Also, it was a separate amulet called "Innos' Aura" and it didn't make you invulnerable, just very resistant to damge iirc.

    Anyway, I've made a few small changes to the magic system to keep things interesting. You'll see what I mean when you start discovering new spells.
     
  30. Xavies

    Xavies Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2016
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    17
    Using the Spine Launcher, i installed the Respawn Mod for Gothic 2 TNTR. It let Monsters respawn (once you reach lvl 10) every time you sleep and you can learn to let your Mana Regenerate. Now guess how long it took me to become Innos Incarnate, burning down the whole Valley of Mines? :p

    [X][Teeth] Make yourself a trophy necklace. (+1 personal power)
    Taking personal Power, because every little bit helps!

    [X][Hide] Sell it. (worth 30+5x personal power in gold)
    Depending on the Roll for Personal Power, this could get us a lot of gold (in contrast to the real Game, where you get nearly nothing for your trophies) Also with the +1 this gives us five more Gold for sure.

    [X][Hazred] Go find a healer in Silmorkal to take a look at your injuries.
    -[X][Hazred] Ask Maha for help.

    This will hurt our finances and just two turns before we buy more slaves. But it is necessary.

    [X][Harpies] Send them out to see if they can find a swampshark that might make an easy target.

    [X][TEMPLE] Beliar statue I (7/10 done)

    [X][MINE] 1 slave
    The Money woud be nice, but we need to finish the Statue, so we can start another Project. Right now we have to few slaves to really get much out of the Gold Mine. We get more out of our personal efforts for now, so we should concentrate on restoring the temple ASAP.
     
Loading...