1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For a trial period of one week, allowed avatar size has been increased to 256kb, up from 51.2kb. During this time, if the forum seems to be loading slow, drop by the topic in the Announcements & Rules sub to let me know.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. QQ will be down for upgrades starting at 2030 EDT. Please be prepared and save any work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A small reminder that our moderators can't change usernames. You need to directly contact an admin for that, and tehelgee is the jobless one so bug him about it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. I've been informed by the hosting service that the server will go down at 5pm EST for a RAM replacement. It should only be down 5-15 minutes.
    Dismiss Notice

The Southern Temple (Gothic Quest)

Discussion in 'Questing and Roleplay' started by Gaemnomut, Sep 10, 2017.

Loading...
  1. DrStrangeLove

    DrStrangeLove Experienced.

    Joined:
    May 3, 2016
    Messages:
    2,500
    Likes Received:
    6,384
    [X][Teeth] Make yourself a trophy necklace. (+1 personal power)

    [X][Hide] Just keep it for now.
    We should wait until we're healed up, so we can get a better price. :/

    [X][Hazred] Go find a healer in Silmorkal to take a look at your injuries.
    -[X][Hazred] Ask Maha for help.


    [X][Harpies] Send them out to see if they can find a swampshark that might make an easy target.

    [X][TEMPLE] Beliar statue I (7/10 done)

    [X][MINE] 1 slave
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  2. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    Vote will close some time tomorrow. Probably around 9-12 hours from now.

    Also, I made a few edits to the character and mechanics pages so they includes all the information on the slave system I posted above. Should be all up to date now.
     
  3. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,187
    Likes Received:
    2,277
    [X][Teeth] Make yourself a trophy necklace. (+1 personal power)

    [X][Hide] Just keep it for now.
    We should wait until we're healed up, so we can get a better price. :/

    [X][Hazred] Go find a healer in Silmorkal to take a look at your injuries.
    -[X][Hazred] Ask Maha for help.


    [X][Harpies] Send them out to see if they can find a swampshark that might make an easy target.

    [X][TEMPLE] Beliar statue I (7/10 done)

    [X][MINE] 1 slave

    Huh Dr.StrangeLove is right, better to wait with skin selling for better roll on personal power after healing
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  4. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    And the vote is closed. Hmm, looks like we have a tie between selling the hide and keeping it.

    I'll roll for which one to pick.

    Roll 1: [X][Hide] Sell it. (worth 30+5x personal power in gold)
    Roll 2: [X][Hide] Just keep it for now.

    Gaemnomut rolled 1 die of 2 faces, total: 1
    For: Tie resolve
    Rolled on: January-06-2019, 06:23pm
    1


    Edit: Looks like you're selling it. Don't worry, the sale will happen after you visit Maha for the healing, so you won't lose out on all that much.
     
    Aigloss likes this.
  5. Threadmarks: Chapter 16: The Heart of the Temple (part 1)
    Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    [4][Teeth] Make yourself a trophy necklace. (+1 personal power)
    [2, wins by coin toss][Hide] Sell it. (worth 30+5x personal power in gold)
    [4][Hazred] Go find a healer in Silmorkal to take a look at your injuries.
    -[4][Hazred] Ask Maha for help.
    [4][Harpies] Send them out to see if they can find a swampshark that might make an easy target.
    [4][TEMPLE] Beliar statue I (7/10 done)
    [4][MINE] 1 slave

    Hazred roll (healing): [4+3]+1 = 8
    Hazred roll (selling the hide): [4+5+4]+4 = 16
    Harpy roll: [5+5]+10 = 20 → almost a crit, good success
    Build progress: [2+0+1] = 3 → statue finished
    Gold mining: [0] = 0 → 0 gold

    +10 Gold (normal income from the Sahelim businesses)
    +110 Gold (income from selling the firelizard’s hide)
    Temple upgrade “Statue I” completed




    The shadow of death

    The tooth gleams in the torchlight as you hold it up to inspect your work. Sitting next to Mor-Narog to keep him company you were hard at work preparing the firelizard’s fangs that will end up on your trophy necklace. They looked impressive before, but now, cleaned of blood, saliva, dirt, and left over bone fragments they are beautiful as well. Wicked tools of death that once lined the the jaws of an apex predator.

    You select the two biggest teeth out of the lot. One will make the centrepiece of your necklace, with three smaller fangs on each side, the other you hand to the orc. Without the injury he had dealt you might have died, so it’s only fitting that he would receive some of the spoils. Besides, it never hurts to build up some good will.

    Mor-Narog is almost hesitant to take it, but when you insist his good eye lights up in appreciation. With trembling fingers he fixes it to his belt where a number of smaller claws and teeth already hang and leans back against the wall again with a heavy sigh. He seems more and more tired recently, and you suspect that the injuries he has suffered are taking a heavier toll than either of you thought they would. The journey over the mountains to the temple must have been more strenuous for him than he let on. He doesn’t say it, probably out of fear of appearing weak, but you can see his life is waning. Now he is but a shadow of the proud warrior you remember from your first fight in the valley so long ago. Where once he held himself with easy strength he can now barely stand. Without a shaman to heal him he will die, and sooner than expected.

    Unfortunately there is little you can do about it, Beliar’s power do not lend themselves well to healing, and you know too little about alchemy or the orcs to help in other ways. All you can do is make sure you’ll finish your work on the Ulu-Mulu as quickly as you can. Besides, you have your own injuries to deal with.

    Since you don’t have the tools here to finish the necklace anyway, you’ll need a fine drill from your workshop at home to make the holes in the teeth, you interrupt your work and start packing up. You check one last time to make sure the zombies are still guarding the slaves and then you leave the temple behind you to head off to Silmorkal.

    You’ve made yourself an impressive trophy necklace with the firelizard’s fangs. (+1 personal power)
    Mor-Narog is dying. He doesn’t have much time left. (Estimated time until Mor-Narog succumbs to his injuries: 6 turns)


    - - -​


    A story and an offer

    You are standing in Maha’s shop, watching her work at the counter while you spin a tale to explain your horrendous injury. She had taken but one look a the burn and the broken fingers, had immediately decided that she knew just the right thing, and had started to work on it. Her own hands are riddled with small scars from little burns and the touch of caustic substances so you suspected she probably knew what she was doing. There were three different cauldrons already bubbling over various small fires and she was rushing between them all the time, checking each to make sure they were still the way she wanted them. The whole shop is a semi organized chaos, filled to the brim with books, flasks both full and empty, dried herbs hanging from the ceiling and the walls, jars with various animal parts in them, and many more things. With three potions currently stewing the smell is intense, but Maha doesn’t seem to mind, she is happily working, sometimes stirring here, sometimes adding something there, all the while chatting along with you. You had picked up some bits and pieces about alchemy over the years, but you’re nowhere near her level. She’s using herbs and powders you had never seen or heard about, and is working with long practised efficiency while she listened to your story.

    “...You know my uncle was always very insistent that I receive the traditional education of Zarava in addition to my schooling as a noble. He taught me how to fight with a sword, how to shoot with the bow, and enough about the wilds that I was supposed to be able to survive alone for a while. At first I hated it, I was always more the type for a good book than the wilds, but once I got into it I found that I quite enjoyed it. Even though the old man is long gone by now I still try to keep to my training schedule, at least for the sword and bow since I can train with those here in the city. I haven’t set foot in the wilderness in a long time though. Always too much to do, to dangerous, too out of the way, and so on...” You trail off while you watch with fascination as the liquid in Maha’s flask suddenly turns from a dull grey to a bright green. Giving it an appreciative shake she sprinkles some more powder in and shakes again, and swear you see it even glow for a split second.

    You catch yourself and continue: “Well, a while ago though the day my uncle died came and went and I decided that I wouldn’t let all that stop me. Life’s too short for not doing what you want, so to honour his memory and to get out of the city for once I hired a hunter to take me out into the Svengali...”. The lies come effortlessly, and Maha listens intently while she cracks some dried seeds. “...Well, it took some time and preparation, but it really was worth it. We avoided all the really dangerous parts of course, I’m not suicidal after all, but it was just so exhilarating to be out there. And I learned a lot. I’ll definitely go again as soon as I can spare the time…”.

    “-And the burn?” Maha asks. “Ah well, it was the most curious thing. Just as we were on our way out of the swamp there suddenly was this fire lizard that attacked us completely out of the blue!”. She gasps. “We would have died for sure if it hadn’t already been wounded. It had these really bizarre injuries, a huge cut and this strange patch where the skin seems to have been torn from the inside”, you have the hide with you since you’re planning on selling it later, and you unroll it to show her.

    “The hunter and I speculated that it might have been a chased away from its usual territory by orcs, their shamans know magic if what I heard is true, perhaps one of them caused this injury with a spell? I guess we’ll never know, but it’s disturbing to think about what else might be running around out there.” You shake your head, good hand idly tracing the cracks in the hide where your lightning tore through it. The alchemist looks at it with wide eyes, clearly impressed. “Good for us though, the wounds slowed it down enough that we were able to kill it in the end. And the hide should sell for a lump of gold, which is a nice compensation for... well… this.” You hold up your heavily bandaged left arm and give her a small wave. Maha snorts dismissively and rolls her eyes, then gets back to work. The potion in her hand has reduced quite a bit by now, instead of a liquid sloshing around in the flask there is now a thick syrupy sludge. She takes a large bottle from a shelf next to the workbench, uncorks it, takes a a large swig, and then pours some on the sludge. It immediately starts smoking and the biting smell of strong herbal alcohol is added to the air.

    “So all in all the trip went quite well I think, even if it did nearly kill me.” You chuckle, and give her a winning smile. ”And lucky for me I know a wonderful, talented, beautiful alchemist who will patch me up for cheap!” Maha laughs at that and continues stirring the boiling pot she is now working on. Reaching behind her for some dried leaves you actually recognize and crumbling them into the boiling liquid she thinks for a while and eventually answers: “Well now Ras al Sahelim, I guess I can give you a discount for the exciting story you told me. Life does get dull sometimes here in the shop. Let’s say, for you …. 60 gold, and that’s already below the market price for the ingredients, so don’t try to haggle me down further!”

    She thinks for a moment. “Although, perhaps you could do something else for me instead. You said you wanted to go back, right? If you’re going back soon I might have an offer for you.”

    Turning around to look over one of the shelves line the wall behind the counter she continues: “I recently got a contract for a special potion that should pay pretty well. Unfortunately, I need a special mushroom for it that only grows in the swamp, and my usual supplier is out of town this week. I can’t go myself of course, but if you could help me, well that would be great!”

    Having located the tome she was looking for she pulls it from the shelf, places it on the counter, and starts flicking through the pages. It’s a huge, dusty, old book with illustrations of various plants in it, and eventually she stops at a page showing a rather unappealing looking mushroom. It’s bluish green with yellow markings on the top of its cap and about the size of your fist if the book is to be believed. “Toadroot, that’s what I’m looking for. You’ll have to be careful when touching it, it’s pretty poisonous, but with the yellow cap it shouldn’t be too hard to find. It’s just that they’re pretty rare is all.”

    She puts the book away again and gets back to stirring her pot. “So what do you say? I need at least three, and the contract is due in four weeks. If you can bring them to me by them I’ll forget about the 60 gold.”

    Take the quest?
    [ ][Payment] Yes. (Need to find 3 toadroot mushrooms in the next 4 turns, treatment is free but failing to fulfil your end of the bargain will result in you having to cover Maha for the failed contract (150 gold).)
    [ ][Payment] Yes, but you’ll pay Maha now anyway. (Pay 60 gold now, earn 75 when you complete the quest, costs 90 if you fail.)
    [ ][Payment] Yes, and you’ll help Maha out for free. (Pay 60 gold, earn Maha’s gratitude.)
    [ ][Payment] No, you’ll just pay the gold. (Pay 60 gold, don’t take the quest)



    (If you take the quest you’ll have a chance of finding a toadroot whenever you take a Hazred action that results in you wandering the swamp. You’ll also be able to go out to look for them specifically, but that will consume an action.)

    You hash out the details with the alchemist while she finishes your potion. Despite the initial green colour it ends up being a pinkish red. You drink it while it’s still hot, and immediately feel a life giving warmth spread through your body. It tastes absolutely vile though. Maha grins as your grimace and chuckles. “Yeah, everybody says it tastes bad, I’m just glad I’ve never needed to try it myself. The potion should help your body heal much faster than normal. The broken fingers will probably take a while longer to heal than the burn, but in a few weeks all that’s going to be left are a few scars.”

    You have avoided permanent damage to your hand and arm, and made sure the burns will heal much faster. (Heal 1d5+3 damage, another 1d5 will heal next turn, and the remaining +2 two turns after that.)

    . . . . .​


    You play with the lizardfang necklace hanging around your neck while you stroll away from the buyers house. Your head servant Sulimo had put out a few feelers and had found somebody willing to buy the hide as a decorative animal trophy, and you had went there at once. Initially the man had been a bit sceptical about the state it was in, but you managed to convince him that the damage was actually in improvement rather than a flaw. You spun an epic tale about a battle you supposedly witnessed between a band of orcs and the lizard, how the great beast had fought bravely until it was overwhelmed by the warriors and torn apart by a shaman’s magic. By the time you were finished he was so enthused about it that he even payed more than the asking price, stating that he wanted to find a proper, honourable place for the hide of a monster that had killed a few of “those damned savages”.

    In the end he is the proud, happy owner of a brand new firelizard’s hide, and you are the proud, happy owner of a hefty bag of gold.

    You managed to sell the hide for a great price! (+110 gold)

    - - - ​


    Sacrifice

    You walk along the familiar safe paths through the swamp and find yourself marvelling at the beauty of it. The days have grown colder as of late, and with the beginnings of autumn the trees leaves on the trees have started to colour in many shades of yellow, orange, and red. With the pools below occasionally reflecting the colourful leaves above and the creeping mists that obscure everything else the Svengali is quite the sight. An untamed, feral beauty to be sure, with danger lurking around every corner, but a beauty none the less.

    A mental command calls the elder harpy to your location to give her report. Turns out the harpies did indeed find a swampshark that would be good to hunt. An older bull that must have been driven away from the herd by a younger competitor. He has already made a new territory, from which he’ll probably not move away in a long while. If ever. You’re lucky that it’s in an easily accessible area. An old swampshark that’s been driven from the herd is is something you should be able to handle. Those teeth are as good as yours.

    You have located a swampshark that should be easy to hunt. (-5 DC for the Swampshark hunt.)

    The harpies also took another pass over the camp site of the stranded sailors and found it abandoned. The ship is gone, the huts they erected are all shacked up, and the light palisade is closed off as well as they could manage to keep out any beasts. Of the sailors only three remain, each one dangling from a noose on a great tree outside the camp. By the time the harpies had got there the creatures of the Svengali had already started to taken their share, and the corpses were mostly torn apart.

    . . . . . ​

    When you arrive at the temple you are confronted with good news and bad news. The bad is that the slave you sent into the mines didn’t manage to extract any gold. The area he had worked on was nothing but solid rock.

    The good news however is fantastic, contrary to the slave in the mines the slaves repairing the statue have made good progress during your absence and finished their work. The statue, the centrepiece of Galaroth shines once again in it’s former glory. Of course there is a lot that could be done to improve it even more, but it is no longer broken and forgotten, and that is all that matters now.

    The only thing left to do now is to sanctify it. Beliar demands blood, and blood he shall receive!

    - - -​

    Gold: 246
    Slaves: 4
    Power (Hazred): 3d5+4 (7-19)

    How do you sanctify the statue?


    [ ][Sacrifice] You will go out and hunt a creature of the swamp to sacrifice at its feet.
    (Roll personal power for how successful your hunt is, gain favour depending on that)

    [ ][Sacrifice] You will go back to one of the villages and buy a sheep or goat to sacrifice.
    (Costs 20 gold, gain a medium amount of favour)

    [ ][Sacrifice] You will sacrifice one of the slaves.
    (Costs 1 slave, gain a high amount of favour. Small chance of ???)

    [ ][Sacrifice] You will go back to one of the villages and capture a human to sacrifice.
    -[ ] Write in how (optional, but a good plan might reduce the DC a bit)

    (DC: 12, gain a high amount of favour and a high chance of ???)

    AN: So, how evil do you want to be?
     
  6. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,187
    Likes Received:
    2,277
    [X][Sacrifice] You will go out and hunt a creature of the swamp to sacrifice at its feet.
    -[x] Write in how (optional, but a good plan might reduce the DC a bit)
    [X][Payment] Yes, but you’ll pay Maha now anyway. (Pay 60 gold now, earn 75 when you complete the quest, costs 90 if you fail.)

    Also QM? what will be DC to look for mushrooms?
     
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  7. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    Kidnapping will have a high chance of getting attention from the town, even if it succeds.

    Besides, I don't want us to be Standard Bastard Evil, I would rather be Xardas Evil.

    [X][Sacrifice] You will go out and hunt a creature of the swamp to sacrifice at its feet.

    [X ][Payment] No, you’ll just pay the gold. (Pay 60 gold, don’t take the quest)
    Also, let's focus on finishing the Ulu-Mulu first so best orc stays alive.

    [X][Payment] Yes, and you’ll help Maha out for free. (Pay 60 gold, earn Maha’s gratitude.)
     
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  8. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    Everytime you take an action that takes you into the swamp there will be a 75% chance to find one, a 15% chance to find two, and a 5% chance to find three. If you take the quest you will also have an action to go out and specifically look for them, but that will take one turn to complete.

    Oh, and just to clarify, one turn is one chapter. Chapters that are split into multiple parts (like the firelizard fight) count as one.
     
  9. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    Well looks like getting these shrooms is significantly easier than I imagined. I will change my vote then.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  10. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    Be careful though, not all missions take you into the swamp. Going through the books in the temple or hunting the troll in the mountains don't for example.
     
  11. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,187
    Likes Received:
    2,277
    Ahh I was asking about DC on this action. Or is this auto success ?
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  12. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    The DC will be 11. The cost lies less in the difficulty and more in the time it takes.
     
    DrStrangeLove and Aigloss like this.
  13. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    Ok, it looks like I might have some time to write tomorrow so I'll probably close the vote in about 12 hours or so.
     
  14. Profectus

    Profectus Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2019
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    2
    [x][Sacrifice] You will go back to one of the villages and capture a human to sacrifice.
    -[x] Write in how (optional, but a good plan might reduce the DC a bit)


    We should aim for a lone merchant or hunter outside the villages or a hobo that nobody cares if they disappear. Or send the harpies to hunt for someone travelling alone.

    Next turn we could try convincing our hunter buddy to help complete the Ulu-Mulu and point out that he wrote that book.
     
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  15. Xavies

    Xavies Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2016
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    17
    [x][Sacrifice] You will go out and hunt a creature of the swamp to sacrifice at its feet.

    I don't think that we should start with human sacrifices just yet. Let's wait with that for a bit, till we can afford to kidnap and sacrifice the servants of Rhobar.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  16. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    I'm going to be more busy than I thought today so I'll close the vote in the evening rather than right now. So you'll have about 12 hours more.

    (Edit: vote closed)

    In the meantime, has anybody taken a look at Legend of Ahssûn? Apparently it's a new Gothic mod that's been over a decade in the making. And I thought I was a hopeless Gothic fan XD

    Also, Xavies, Profectus, you can vote for two things. The [Sacrifice] and how you want to handle Maha's [Payment].

    Hi, I see you're new to QQ and the quest. Welcome to our little corner of the internet :)

    Well, technically there is one servant of Rhobar you could sacrifice right now, but I'll let you figure out the details of that...
     
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  17. Fishyface

    Fishyface Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2015
    Messages:
    368
    Likes Received:
    243
    [X][Sacrifice] You will go out and hunt a creature of the swamp to sacrifice at its feet.

    [X][Payment] Yes, but you’ll pay Maha now anyway. (Pay 60 gold now, earn 75 when you complete the quest, costs 90 if you fail.)
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  18. DrStrangeLove

    DrStrangeLove Experienced.

    Joined:
    May 3, 2016
    Messages:
    2,500
    Likes Received:
    6,384
    [X][Sacrifice] You will go out and hunt a creature of the swamp to sacrifice at its feet.
    [X][Payment] Yes, but you’ll pay Maha now anyway. (Pay 60 gold now, earn 75 when you complete the quest, costs 90 if you fail.)
     
    tellion and Gaemnomut like this.
  19. tellion

    tellion Know what you're doing yet?

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2018
    Messages:
    121
    Likes Received:
    160
    [X][Sacrifice] You will go out and hunt a creature of the swamp to sacrifice at its feet.
    [X][Payment] Yes, but you’ll pay Maha now anyway. (Pay 60 gold now, earn 75 when you complete the quest, costs 90 if you fail.)
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  20. Threadmarks: Chapter 16: The Heart of the Temple (part 2)
    Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    [X][Payment] Yes, but you’ll pay Maha now anyway. (Pay 60 gold now, earn 75 when you complete the quest, costs 90 if you fail.)
    [X][Sacrifice] You will go out and hunt a creature of the swamp to sacrifice at its feet.

    possible hunting results:
    5-7: Bird (+2 favour)
    8-10: Crocodile (+3 favour)
    11-13: large wildcat (+4 favour)
    14-16: Stag (+5 favour)
    17-19: Bear (+6 favour)
    20-22: Snapper pack leader (+8 favour)
    Hazred roll (Hunt): [3+1+3]+4 = 11 → Wildcat

    The hunt takes you out into the Svengali, chance to find a toadroot mushroom for the alchemist quest (d100 - 75% / 15% / 5%):
    Hazred roll (Toadroot): [24] = 24 → Toadroot mushrooms found: 0/3




    Accepting Maha’s quest

    You consider your options and think about whether you should take Maha’s offer or not. Helping her out and thus improving her opinion of you seems like a wise idea, especially since you might need her to patch you up again in the future. However, you don’t like having unpaid debts, even for a little while. There is also another thing to consider, with all the gold you have been spending on your pursuit of the temple, your finances have been quite tight for a while now. You have managed to keep the estate afloat reasonably well, and to make it appear as if you are simply frugal and sitting on your wealth rather than spending it on ventures nobody should know about, but it’s been a close thing. If word got out that you might be out of money then some of your competitors and rivals might start to investigate, and you can’t have that. You do trust Maha to a degree, but she does love to talk, and so you would rather not take the risk. With the upcoming slave market the loss of 60 gold is hard to stomach, but better safe than sorry.

    Thus, you decide to pay her price, but to help her out anyway. You negotiate until you arrive at an agreement that satisfies both of you, 60 gold for the healing now, and 75 for you once you deliver the toadroots. Maha does warn you though, that there is quite a bit of money and reputation tied up in this contract for her, and that if you fail to deliver on time she will demand compensation. 90 gold to be exact. That’s fine with you though - you have no intention of failing.

    You have taken Maha’s quest. Deliver 3 toadroots in 4 turns to complete it successfully.

    - - -​


    The hunt for the sacrifice

    The puma writhes in the net, black fur matted with sweat and grime. The harpies had seen the black shape leaping from branch to branch, stalking prey of its own, and you had set your trap in its path. Having them as eyes in the sky is amazingly useful, to be sure. You never realized what a unique perspective a creature with wings would have on the world. You had known, of course, but it had taken seeing them in action in person for you to truly understand it. Unfortunately, you cant send them out to hunt for mushrooms, as good as their sight is, they wouldn’t be able to find something that small without an undue amount of effort on their part. Not to mention that flying low enough for it might put them at risk from predators themselves. The magical binding forces them to obey, but it doesn’t force them to like it. You do not want to risk them falling into malicious compliance after giving them arduous or even dangerous tasks.

    You look down on the exhausted catch in the net, now no longer writhing, just snapping from time to time when you tried to get close. Not long now, soon it would be too tired for even that. Then you would take it back to the temple and prepare it for the ritual. The large wildcat would make a good offering to Beliar. It had been a bringer of death all its life, snuffing out its prey to sustain itself with tooth and claw, and had fought for its place in the harsh environment of the Svengali against all the other creatures that called the swamp their home - until somebody with greater power still had come to claim it. Now its death would honour the god of death and struggle, and it would prowl forever more in the endless wastes of Beliar’s realm.

    You had considered sacrificing a human to Beliar, but had decided against it. As much as Beliar might prefer it, you had refused to sell your soul to him and would thus serve on your terms. Power is your ambition, and if it’s ever necessary to commit evil to attain it you would be ready, but you do not strive for evil for its own sake. Besides, you do not like the risks that come with acquiring a human sacrifice. Even though you might be able to use your gold and influence as a noble to wriggle out of the charges if you were caught, it would undoubtedly cost you, possibly quite dearly. Your hard earned and carefully cultivated reputation could end up in ruins, and even the paladins might take interest. And if you had decided to sacrifice a slave the already slow progress in the temple would have been slowed down even more.

    You prefer to be a bit more pragmatic in your approach. Once you were strong enough to bring the fight to the paladins themselves Beliar would have his sacrifices, but until then you would try to avoid slaughtering the people of your homeland. The dark god had waited a hundred years for somebody to reawaken the temple, a few months more would hardly make a difference.


    On the way back to the temple you kept an eye out for toadroot mushrooms, but unfortunately you didn’t see any.

    - - -​


    Sanctifying the Statue




    You are alone in the room with the light of the flickering torches dancing on the walls and the eager tendrils of Beliar’s power slithering around the statue’s base.
    The puma isn’t a danger any more, bound with heavy ropes it lies at the feet of the statue. You cleaned the beast before the ritual and now its fur is once again has its beautiful glossy sheen. You yourself are kneeling before it, chanting the required words in an ever repeating mantra. Your knife, inscribed with ancient runes for the occasion, is tightly gripped in your left hand while your right hand is lying on the brow of the puma. You’re slowly pushing your mana into the bound animal to prepare its soul for the sacrifice. As you speak the room is filling more and more with the roiling presence of Beliar himself, rising up from his realm to connect to the sphere of the living once more through the statue. You had thought the room was thick with his power before, but now it’s positively swimming in it. Viewing through your mage’s sight reveals that the ethereal swirls of his will are so powerful they almost occlude the statue entirely.

    You reach the end of your chant and plunge the knife into the puma’s throat. The animal is almost glowing with power by now; startled by the pain it tries to thrash one last time but its efforts are in vain; the bonds hold strong. Blood spills out in bursts, but infused as it is with your mana it doesn’t just pool on the floor. Instead, it’s swept up in the rising currents of black magic and creeps up the statue, staining it red.

    The ritual requires one last line to be spoken aloud, and as you complete it you feel something tear that shouldn’t and it is as if the whole temple shudders and takes a deep breath. Dazed by the sudden surge of power, it takes you a while to return to your senses. The statue, once rather dull and lifeless, now positively glows with purple unlight when viewed through your mage’s sight, and you can sense the same triple beats you have come to know from your demon heart reverberate through it. These are much stronger tthough, and although you can’t physically feel them they are undeniably there, pulsing through the fabric between the spheres as if a demented drummer were banging on the inside of the statue.

    Once more Galaroth’s heart is beating, and the dark god is pleased. (+4 Favour)
    The Statue is restored and resanctified, and Beliar’s influence grows with every day. (+1 favour per turn from now on)


    You stand up, and although you feel a little light headed you can feel Beliar’s glowing approval. As you walk out of the statue chamber you find the temple alive with power. It seems it still recognizes you as the temple master, as you find the tendrils of black magic curling around you almost reverently. The tug on your soul is much stronger now though, and although you feel confident that you can remain yourself despite it you suspect that others might not be able to. There is a chance that anybody you bring into the temple that is already predisposed towards serving him will eventually succumb to the dark god’s will entirely.

    You take a moment to look over the slaves and find them to be very unsettled. Although none of them is magically trained and they hardly know what monumental occasion just occurred, they seem to be able to feel it nonetheless. Mor-Narog, too, is aware that something happened; the sudden intangible shift in the magical currents running through the temple having startled him out of his sleep. None of them know it, but they are all living next to a new rift in the world. The centrepiece of Galaroth is nothing less than a direct link to Beliar’s realm and even though the ritual has only begunto open the connection, it still allows the dark god some access to the hearts and minds of those living in its shadow.

    - - -​


    (Turns until the slave market starts: 1 = turn after next)
    (Turns until Mor-Narog will likely succumb to his wounds: 6)
    (Turns until Maha’s quest needs to be completed: 4)

    Gold: 186
    Favour: 18
    Slaves: 4
    Power (Hazred): 3d5+4 (7-19)
    Power (Harpies): 2d5+10 (12-20)


    You may vote for one option from each spoiler.
    What are your plans for this turn?

    [ ][Hazred] Investigate Razul and his connection with the orcs.

    [ ][Hazred] Go through the old books at the temple to see if you can find information on the creatures you need to hunt for the Ulu-Mulu, or the runes from the amulet you found in the goblin cave.

    (DC: 10 to find information on the creatures and to reduce the DC of the hunting actions, 15 to find out about the runes.)

    [ ]Hunt the creatures needed for the Ulu-Mulu! You are still not entirely healed though, so beware of taking on more than you can handle.
    -[ ] Kill a swamp shark! (DC: 25)
    -[ ] Slay the troll of the plateau! (DC: 40)



    [ ] Instead of hunting for the trophies, you could see if you can find someone in Silmorkal willing to sell them to you.
    -[ ] Buy a bag of swampshark teeth.

    (DC: 11, Cost: (55-personal power roll) gold)
    -[ ] Buy troll tusks.
    (DC: 13, Cost: (135-personal power roll) gold)

    [ ][Hazred] Look for the toadroot mushrooms you need for Maha's quest.

    [ ][Hazred] Deal with the bandits.
    You will attack on your own, enslaving who you can and killing the rest.
    (DC with no further bonus: 33. You may choose as many bonuses as you want.)
    -[ ][Hazred] Bring the harpies along.
    (Reduces DC by 7, any harpy action will be cancelled for this turn)
    -[ ][Hazred] Ask Beliar for a favour.
    (Reduces DC by 7, costs 3 favour)
    -[ ][Hazred] Ask Razul if he wants to go bandit hunting.
    (Reduces DC by 7, costs 20 gold)
    -[ ][Hazred] Bring along some zombies.
    (Reduces DC by 9)

    [ ][Hazred] Tip the archon‘s militia off to their location and collect a bounty.
    (No DC, but a better roll will allow you to negotiate a better reward. You will get 5 times your roll in gold.)

    [ ][Hazred] Spend some time with the harpies to improve their opinion of you.
    (DC: 14, Cost: 15 gold, cancels any harpy action picked for this turn)
    What will you have your harpies do?

    [ ][Harpies] Spy on Ivan‘s watch.
    The paladin Ivan and his knights guard the pass that connects the Svengali to the rest of the island. It would be nice to know what they are up to.
    (DC: 15)

    [ ][Harpies] Locate the troll on the plateau.
    Mor-Narog is sure there is one there somewhere, probably further north where the mountains start. Unless you want to buy the tusks or wait until it dies on it’s own, you’ll have to kill it eventually. And the first step towards that is finding it.
    (DC: 13)

    [ ][Harpies] write in!
    I‘ll reserve the right to veto anything that wouldn‘t work or would derail the quest.
    How many of your slaves should be sent to the gold mine?

    [ ][MINE] Write in.
    Currently you may only send ten slaves at a time into the mines. Once you reach temple level 2 and upgrade the gold mine, this cap will increase.
    Any slave not sent to the mine will work on restoring the temple.
    Which areas of the Temple should be restored/upgraded?

    [ ][TEMPLE] Living quarters I (0/10 done)
    In order to really grow the Temple's power you will need to have people living here full time. This first upgrade will allow you to securely (more or less) hold an unlimited number of slaves. Without it you are limited to 10. Additionally, future upgrades may only be unlocked after this has been done, since they rely on manpower to function.
    (Costs: 70 Gold)

    [ ][TEMPLE] Personal Chambers I (0/10 done)
    As the master of the temple it is only right for you to have proper chambers. Having a place away from the city and the prying eyes of the paladins will allow you to train in secret and focus on your studies of the dark arts without interruption, growing your power.
    (Costs: 70 Gold)

    [ ][TEMPLE] Temple Defence I – Harpy Roost (0/10 done)
    You will have your slaves dig upwards from the tower you found until they reach the top of the cliffs and prepare a place there for the harpies to build a new nest by the temple. They’ll make excellent sentries that should spot most threats that are approaching the temple unless they are very well hidden.
    (Costs: 70 Gold)

    AN: Thanks to magic9mushroom and DrStrangeLove for helping me proofread this.
     
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 12:42 PM
  21. Xavies

    Xavies Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2016
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    17
    oohhhkay... hear me out. I have a nice little plan, which would net us Gold and slaves at the same time, while it spares us the hunt for the troll.

    [x][Hazred] Deal with the Bandits.
    -[x]Bring the Harpies along
    -[x]Ask Beliar for a favor
    -[x]Bring along some Zombies
    [x][MINE] 4 Slaves

    This plan should get us enough Gold to buy Slaves and TrollTusks next turn, while we could get potential Slaves from the Bandits. That DC will be brought down to a DC 10 by my choices. We have a lot of Favor saved up and i think we should use some of it at least. I am not hiring Razul, as we don't know if we can trust him and being seen with Harpies, Zombies and using Black Magic could lead to some questions.
     
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  22. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    You know, maybe it is just me but I am wary of merely buying the required trophies for the Ulu-Mulu. If the orcs just get a whiff that we bought even one of them, they might turn on us, even if they find it out 10 turns later. Unless we still fought the monster but somehow weren't able to harvest the tusks/teeth, but that is another issue.

    Remind me, why couldn't ask Razul to help us with the hunt again? I mean he IS a hunter, and there were quests in Gothic 1 where you teamed up with somebody to kill a swamp shark AND a troll.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  23. Xavies

    Xavies Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2016
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    17
    I think we are both assuming different things here. You assume that the Orcs won't like it, if we bought parts of the Ulu-Mulu. But why would the GM give us such a trap option? We have an Orc right there we could ask about that.

    I don't take Razul with us, because i plan to have the Zombies help us. They are not exactly popular creatures and Razul doesn't know about us being a Disciple of Beliar and Master of One of his Temples.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  24. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    You can, you just have to convince him to do it. Taking down some bandits is one thing, especially since some of them attacked him already, but hunting some of the most dangerous beasts in the Svengali is something else. He is a hunter, but there is a difference between hunting deer and hunting trolls :)

    Razul actually does know. You told him. And while he doesn't agree with some of your points he does feel indebted to you since you kinda saved his life twice, which is why he promised to keep your secret.

    As for the bought Ulu-Mulu parts... well that's a gamble. If you manage to fool the orcs then you save yourselves a pretty hard battle. However, if they find out that you were disrespectful/dishonest about such an important part of their traditions you might lose a lot of goodwill with them.
     
  25. TooCowardlyForRealNick

    TooCowardlyForRealNick Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2015
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    128
    [X][Hazred] Look for the toadroot mushrooms you need for Maha's quest.
    [X][Harpies] Locate the troll on the plateau.
    [X][MINE] 1 of the available 4 slaves
    [X][TEMPLE] Temple Defence I – Harpy Roost (0/10 done)


    Shrooms are the most time-sensitive objective. And in RPGs you know how important or rewarding those can be.

    That being said, I would have picked the "Study monsters" option otherwise. If we still aren't healed by the end of the next turn, we definitely should go for that one too before going out to hunt.

    Also, I think inviting Razul along when it is time is a GREAT opportunity to bring him over to our side. Can't be a priest if you don't advertise your religion and gain followers, eh?

    Would it cost a separate action to talk to him about that? I wouldn't mind paying him on top of that too, we are asking a professional after all.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  26. Profectus

    Profectus Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2019
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    2
    [X][Hazred] Investigate Razul and his connection with the orcs.
    [X][Harpies] Locate the troll on the plateau.
    [X][TEMPLE] Personal Chambers I (0/10 done)
    -[X] All slaves


    My reasoning is that it'd be a great boon to get Razul on our side and we seriously need more personal power ASAP.
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  27. DrStrangeLove

    DrStrangeLove Experienced.

    Joined:
    May 3, 2016
    Messages:
    2,500
    Likes Received:
    6,384
    Hmm. We might want to search out those mushrooms. That 90 gold will really hurt, if we miss it. And the earlier we get the 75 gold, the sooner we can spend it. :/
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  28. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    Normally not, but at the moment he is wary of associating with you since he knows you follow Beliar (which is pretty dangerous with the paladins around) . He's not outing you, but if you want anything more from him you'll need to convince him.
     
  29. Gaemnomut

    Gaemnomut Experienced.

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    3,977
    Likes Received:
    5,117
    Right now there is a three way tie, and since this is a somewhat important decision I'd rather not roll for the outcome. I'll be pretty busy this weekend anyway so I'll leave the vote open for a while longer. Will probably close on Monday evening.
     
  30. Aigloss

    Aigloss Versed in the lewd.

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2016
    Messages:
    2,187
    Likes Received:
    2,277
    [x][Hazred] Deal with the Bandits.
    -[x]Bring the Harpies along
    -[x]Ask Beliar for a favor
    -[x]Bring along some Zombies
    [x][MINE] 4 Slaves
     
    Gaemnomut likes this.
Loading...