1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trials of the God-Harem King [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Alexander, May 2, 2014.

1. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

A lore excellency will cost us 8 EXP since we have Lore as a caste skill.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

Since it's Favored a Lore Excellency cost 8 Xp.

But Devil Magic uses Occult to hit targets.

[Common Sense]: telling Azazel about Evil Pieces IS a bad idea.

It's also Favored for all Solar Exalts, meaning it costs 8 Xp.

[Common Sense]: Solar Hero Style is very, very powerful. For a Solar, it's always worth the efforts to learn it if Melee isn't Favored.

Anyway, I finished completing the Character Sheet, the Index and the post with the Magic System. Give it a glance and tell me what you think.

3. Diller

Diller Versed in the lewd.

Even more damage penetration is good.

See even the GM said telling Azarael about our plans to reverse engineer the evil pieces is a horrible idea. Now pleas out it to rest.

4. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

Pursue Snake?
    [X] Yes
    Get them out of our hair now while we have time to spend on them. Eiko can speed our search enormously by scouting around the city from above, in fact she can probably do this on her own while we handle other business. Once we've found the Snakes we go in and have a word with their leader whenever we have some spare time.

Introduce the girls to Azazel?
    [X] No
    -[X] But tell the girls about him and let them make their own decisions on whether to contact him or not.
    He's probably going to find out about them sooner or later anyways, and we want the girls to become as strong as possible as soon as possible. Still, this should be their decision and Asia at least may have some reservations about meeting him.

Tell Azazel about Exaltation and all that it implies?
    [X] No

Tell Azazel about your research on the Evil Pieces?
    [X] No

[X] First Occult Excellency, Fists of Iron Technique {16 EXP total}

Smuthunter what are your thoughts on the two stunts?

[] Settling down in your room you breath in deeply to catch the sent of your home. Your ears pick up the sounds of your mother preparing dinner down stares in the kitchen. You can't think of a place you feel more at home at, so settled you metaphorically set down an anchor in this spot at this time before you then begin meditating. You have an idea that the best way to go about this dragon energy would be to synchronize yourself with Ddraig but you want to be extra cautious anyways and make sure you still have something to pull yourself back from a bigger ego then your own. You begin to breathe. In down up out. In down up out. You breathe and drown out everything but your breath and the beat of your heart. And when those are the only things in the eye of your mind you open yourself to Ddraig trying to synchronise your heart beats.

vs

[] Stunt : As Boosted Gear forms around your arms power flares, green and full of pride and arrogance, Your mind clears and firms, the Dominion of Dragons is no challenge to the supremacy of one of the Chosen of the Sun.

5. Alexander

Added to the post with Magic Systems:

Create Spells

Ask the GM. If you have an idea, he will tell you how much it costs and the details of the Dramatic Action to create it.

Like that, just give me an idea of spell and I will adapt it. For those who wants to consult the Source Material for components, tell me how you prefer I send you the file.

6. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

No opinion. We can use both of them, just save one for the next time we make this roll. You can't use the same stunt twice, but you can stunt a roll different ways for as long as you continue to have creative descriptions.

Also I went ahead and did a preliminary tally just to make sure we weren't about to take a dive off the deep end into a pool of shit.

Note that the numbers are off because not everyone voted for all of the options (I abstained from voting on stunts), but I may have missed one or two in the actions list. The margins are thick enough that I don't think it matters, unless we get a sudden rush of new votes before the poll closes up.

7. megrisvernin

Would that be helpful in your constructing the story only thread?

8. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

Now stop putting words in my mouth and talking down to people.

One I'm not talking about Crafting with regards to the Things we actually favor I'm talking about Casting with Twilights are also hax bullshit at.
    Two even if I was talking about Crafting (which we actually do have a deal of investment in) that's a long term project who's skills from what I have been shown overlap to a massive degree with our more immediate routes to power( Magic), and to actually building up a power base.(We are not a devil and as such can't simply Asskicking equals authority our way the ladder. )
    Three Casting is a long term project that gives all the benifits in the same way as martial arts while by definition being waay more useful in different ways in and outside a fight that lend themselves to our nature as a holder of Boosted Gear.

In Story Issei notes that he and boosted is Least effective a Champion in a one on one fight while Abion is most effective.

And Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't One on One champion domination with a poor and mostly incidental focus on AoE the point of FotD? I remember hearing that from Sojiko, Nerv, and EarthScorpion in Conquest Quest when talking about whick thing we should pick up.
    One thing I've notice is that a great many of our quest and jobs rarely rarely need to come to a fist fight. We tend to make them a fist fight even when we don't have to and hell even when we've taken actions that come with significant attachments and responsiblities with the specific intent to avoid a fist fight. (Taking one on one fights with Fallen angels and not calling our allies whom we got for the sole reason of fighting Fallen angels.)

I'd take your advice when you stop not given decent rebuttals, actively help the thread educate itself, actively work to balance new elements to help an unfamilliar GM so that the alternate routes are viable as they should be in game as compared to that shiny martial art which is not built for Issei, and stop using appeal to authority.

For instance all of the Magic styles work. And if they don't it is up to us to make them work. Why? Because these are the styles that every other faction use to great effect.

Instead of a fire ball is too weak we should use FotD Move X. We should go Fire ball is too weak we should Buff Fire ball so that it represents it's in universe effectiveness. Ya know how this version of FotD acutally came into existence? As it wasn't keeping up with Melee.

As such our spells seeming like shit right now is no excuse.
    Metagaming?

Dude. He just popped up on us, Called Rias's family on the phone , chatted idly about aboslutely trivial favors to clear us getting trained by them, interacting with them, and having them examine a Longinus with the intent to Spar against there golden Boy. I don't really know DxD but from what I've learned by paying attention in quest these all seem like highly significant concessions.

Especially with the Fallen Angel style of Magic is Social manipulation Mastery.

This says to me that there is a lot of trust between the families. Especially because there is next to no reason for the Gremory clan to trust an asset with so much potential and Ddraig in such extended contact with the aparent Mind Rape and seduction kings when they to the best of my knowledge don't know nearly how easily we can no sell that type of stuff.

There's already been butloads of speculation about how tenuously connected we are with the Gremory clan.

And there's the issue about how little they have to offer us that we can't get elsewhere. I mean we've apparently cleared grievances with the Fallen Angel faction and are banging one.
    Edit: Is telling him really such a bad idea when compared to all the things we should be aparently risking given what we know right now and how things appear?

Also create spells. Do we need to make them? Shouldn't there be a whole bunch already made we can learn?

9. Alexander

? It should? I mean I only need to copy-past posts, right?

I can do that, but this way you're more free to personalize your spells lists.

Also: discussions are allowed, but stay civil. No name-calling, alright?

10. megrisvernin

You should quote each of your story posts, at least. Otherwise you risk losing any italics or bold.
    If you don't mind it go ahead . I'll updating my story posts as I reread it anyways. But 70ish updates is a fair amount of copying.

11. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

K.

Could you pm Links to the source or a Google Doc?

12. megrisvernin

We only heard him dial someone. We have no confirmation at this time who he was speaking to or if he has leverage on Rias's family if it was them. Moreover even if it was a member of her family Rias is the person we're allied with. We don't know her family situation well enough to know who can make binding agreements that she would abide by, & on what subjects. A point worth considering since Rias defies her parents implicitly by coming to the human world & explicitly by trying to get out of the engagement with Raiser.

IC It's very very strange for a Devil & Fallen Angel faction powers leaders to be on good terms & at minimum, we should call & confirm the situation with Rias to make sure we have permission from her.

kuradora likes this.
  13. Alexander

I have only the torrent. Tell you what, I will post the list of components on Google Doc and post it here.

14. Kelenas

Kelenas Experienced.

Pursue Snake?
    [X] Yes

[Magnus]
    Introduce the girls to Azazel?
    [X] No
    -[X] But tell the girls about him and let them make their own decisions on whether to contact him or not.

[Exaltation]
    Tell Azazel about Exaltation and all that it implies?
    [X] No
    -[X] Only after the fight against the Hakuryukou will you tell him of this...that is, if he wanted to know.

[Evil Pieces]
    Tell Azazel about your research on the Evil Pieces?
    [X] No, unless he asks

Stunts I'll leave to someone else.

15. Brandark

Brandark Not too sore, are you?

Okay , let's put the Evil Piece debate to rest. Common Sense ruled against it , and unless a lot of sudden votes occur in favour , it doesn't look like it'll win.

Moving on , I'd like to propose some canon spells and do a viability check.

Thunder Wolf's Howl
    Cost: 10m
    Target: An area 20 yards across , within 100 yards of the sorcerer.

The Titan's Icy Breath
    Cost:10m
    Target:Area

Unstoppable Fountain of the Depths
    Cost:20m
    Target:Area

16. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I'm not going to bother addressing your other points since Alexander's [Common Sense] handled it for me, but "helping the thread educate itself" is what I do in about half of my posts. I have my PDFs and Google Docs open on the screen ready to drop any reference or quote any stat you might ask for. You on the other hand are unfamiliar by your own admission with both of the works involved in this quest, yet you complain about logical fallacies that I'm pretty sure you're not even using properly when I give you an educated opinion and politely point out that maybe you should take this into account given your own lack of familiarity with the subject material.

Canon sorcery has some major problems in that it's all ritual stuff that takes anywhere from seconds to hours of uninterrupted effort to finish. While we're casting we can take no action to protect ourselves, and if we take any damage at all we need to roll to maintain control of the spell or else it will blow up in our face. I would advise against using sorcery for combat. It is however a very good source of utility effects like Stormwind Rider.

17. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

I thought that was given and our various delineations of information were coming after the we've confirmed things with Rias (whom we really should abuse more. And whom we really should reinvest in more.)

18. codeRR

codeRR Heroic spirit unkown

I say unless we pass our other 4 trials very quickly we should hold off on learning sorcery, not much in tactical value unfortunately

Smut can you tell us what we would need to do anyway? For the 4 other trials

19. megrisvernin

I agree that we don't have the right to share the secret of the Devil Pawns with Azazel. A devil made them for his own people, & Rias has trusted us with examining them. We can't share that information without consent from her at least, & potentially a high ranking leader of her family's faction.

That wasn't clear to me. You should edit your vote to explicitly mention you verifying it at least. Even if it was Rias's family agreed, it's possible she would object after all.

[] Stunt : As Boosted Gear forms around your arms power flares, green and full of pride and arrogance, Your mind clears and firms, the Dominion of Dragons is no challenge to the supremacy of one of the Chosen of the Sun.

I like this stunt. But I'll submitted an edited version in a few minutes. I think we can improve it a little & build up our trust with Mittelt & Asia some...

20. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Core book, page 251

21. codeRR

Wow.....that last one is.....intimidating

22. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Yeah, I never liked that part of the sorcery system. It's really not enough bang for your buck all things considered, but presumably we can choose to make the sacrifice ourselves rather than having it be made for us by Alexander. It would really suck if the thing we needed to give up was our dream of having a harem or something else that's fundamental to Issei's character. :'(

23. Alexander

Don't worry, at least for Terrestrial I have in mind something 8)

It's for Celestial and Solar that you need to worry about :'(

24. codeRR

If that happened IC Isse would say

"Nope screw sorcery" at least I would assume

25. codeRR

Oh.....well worry about that when we get there!

26. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

You're attacking my credibility again rather than attacking my points and setting yourself up an as expert and using that to validate claims especially when it comes to things like Common Sense which aren't common and can be open to debate with the GM himself.
    That's both appeal to authority, and ad hominem.
    For instance. You have these PDFs and Google Docs that you use for reference and claim your high ground with but you don't post the Damn things.
    So that we can educate ourselves.

You also keeping going back to fucking Sorcery to defame learning magic instead of DxD Styles which we've been repeatedly told are combat relevant, and who's casting source almost all overlap with our favored skills, which also almost all overlap with our actual power base building skills( Lore, Occult,Invstigation).

I mean just this very day you've said that the abiltiy to Parry lethal unarmed so we don't need Boosted gear is highly significant... for a contradictory and self defeating that would almost never happen with sufficient investment in our favored tree. Saying we can be caught unawares when you have in fact endorsed the surprise negator that makes that irrelevant in thread. Or that we would be stuck with Resistance charms for defense one of which is a perfect soak we already have while we have super inflate overdrive pools. Or we won't be able to Dodge it when Solar Dodge is bullshit and favored. And we have IPP for a large variety of Bad touch effects. And from what I understand years of gen exalted osmosis the non shaping bad touchs generally have counters in resistance.

Lot's of times it seem we act as if physcial is a primary instead of secondary skill.

27. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

And then presumably he'd get some other kind of reward.

"So I can have ultimate power if I stop caring about Ruby? Fuck that noise, Ruby's more important!"

And then he turns around and Ruby is half-undressed and throwing herself at him because holy shit Issei just turned down godlike power for her and that may as well be a marriage proposal!

28. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

because it has nothing to do with our allies?

we are trying to puzzle out the secret behind a big important piece of devil magic, at no point should we ever mention the people we plan to use them on.

edit: i'm being an idiot.

I totally forgot it was a big deal to the devil clans.
    then again, you would think he would have a way to extract and examine them by now, right?

well, whatever, war al politics, i changed my vote to mention that we are conducting research, then also mentioning that we probably shouldn't talk to him about it, considering the war and such.

Tch, hurry up and make peace already, we have SCIENCE! to do!

29. Eler0

Eler0 Versed in the lewd.

Do we know whether Demon Summoning works like in Creation? Because if it doesn't then Sorcery really isn't worth it. With communication and transportation already covered by modern technoloogy, what does that leave us?
    Anti-army and anti-fortress spells? Meh. I suppose the self-buffs could be worthwhile, maybe.

30. codeRR

I do not believe he would have a copy of the pieces or at-least just yet.