1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trials of the God-Harem King [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Alexander, May 2, 2014.

1. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

That's tricky. Most CMAs aren't worth the purchase for Solars given that they are celestial-tier charms and are balanced more for use by Sidereals, Lunars, and other splats that don't have powerful Solar charms.

That being said, they do offer weird and wonderful benefits depending on the style. Crystal Chameleon would be a fantastic style for us if we had any stealth investment, for example, because it focuses on allowing you to use stealth and surprise attacks in broad daylight. Crane Style has some excellent training charms and awesome defenses. White Reaper is good for mowing down crowds of minions and then turning your attention on their boss. While a lot of styles aren't well-written, the ones that are offer good effects that often fit into weird niches that Solar charms don't expressly deal with.

Do you want a beta reader or someone to write it for you? Because I can do the first of those two.

Yeah. Unless I've missed something, you can stunt all the rolls and get extra dice from them. Since we don't have a Resistance Excellency good stunts are highly valuable.

2. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Sorry, it's the second I need.

3. codeRR

codeRR Heroic spirit unkown

I see, I have been looking at some styles in my books and I have to agree. Though a few are worth looking at and Alexander is house ruling Sidereal styles so we also have that option in the future

4. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

*Nod*.

I'd like to go with the following stunt. IC taking precautions makes sense for Issei especially given how we just learned we'll need to fight the Hakuryuukou & that he's already quite a bit stronger than us. We can't afford to be incapacitated for any length of time, & with Asia healing us we'll be able to give it our all without putting stress on our body. Narratively we need to arrange this precautions stunt first. It would be odd to focus on mastering the Dragon Energy for an hour & then go to ask for assistance from Asa & Mittelt.

Stunt [X] You rest on your bed in the lotus position. Opening one eye you survey your room, windows closed with the blinds drawn & all potentially distracting devices turned off & placed away. Across from you in wooden chairs sit Mittelt & Asia. The fallen angel rests her enormous hammer along her shoulders with a bored expression on her face as she leans back, one leg popped against your bed. A few feet to her left, Asia focuses her attention on a novel she's holding tightly. You'd asked her to present to heal you if absorbing the Dragon's Energy placed some injury or strain on your body; you won't let misguided pride or arrogance place you in danger needlessly when you know others still depend on you.

You suppress a laugh at the intensity with which the former nun is grasping the small paperback, clearly nervous but trying to look calm & you remember just how enthusiastic Mittelt had originally been when you asked her to guard you as you meditated. A warm reassuring feeling flows through you as you know that however this turns out, you can trust the two of them to watch over you.

If you like this please vote

[X] Plan Smuthunter+Precautions Stunt

I'd like to use this stunt

[] Stunt : As Boosted Gear forms around your arms power flares, green and full of pride and arrogance, Your mind clears and firms, the Dominion of Dragons is no challenge to the supremacy of one of the Chosen of the Sun.

For the next hour.

GM ALERT

On a second thought I have a structural question. Will we resolve the extended roll in the next update(spending as many hours as it takes) or will that occur over multiple updates? If it's the later it makes sense to add 1 stunt now. If it's the former it might make sense to add multiple stunts now...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  5. codeRR

.................2.5's solar hero style has a crap ton of charms Q-Q

6. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Almost as many as Solar Melee!

But we're using Fist of the Daystar. This little beauty here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y1ZfsnGx84VLujoKLucctqgTeGto0QKaGCIc2s6vz8Q/edit?hl=en&pli=1

7. codeRR

Ah ok, at-least it's not a holy crap ton like I saw before

8. megrisvernin

Smuthunter do you think we will handle the extended roll over one update or several?

I'm having trouble figuring if Issei will make multiple attempts in the same scene(with sufficient time having passed for however long it takes him), or Issei will meditate once per update as he builds up successes.

9. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

What makes you think I'd know? Alex is the one writing the things, though if I had to hazard a guess I'd say it will take several updates and we'll be working on this for the next week or so.

10. megrisvernin

I figured you'd know if extended rolls took multiple "scenes". I'm still trying to grasp the two concepts myself.

11. EternitynChaos

EternitynChaos Once there was a Maiden...

in all likelihood as this is rather important I would guess Issei is going to sit down and work on this until he gets it down, so its probably going to be done in the next update, the rolls just dictate how much of the day we have for put towards other things, kinda like how our adventures can take up little to no time, or almost all the day.

12. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Well if you look back at the quote I gave a few posts ago you'll note the example of the Climb check to scale a cliff. Depending on the size of the cliff that could take one scene (if it's a normal cliff) or several (if it's the Imperial Mountain). This mechanic can be used for a variety of rolls; I'm pretty sure this is how you make Crafting rolls for instance, with intervals measured in days, weeks or months depending on what you're building.

13. sworded

sworded Know what you're doing yet?

I haven't played the game for a few years, but why would we want sorcery based countermagic instead of Magic-Shattering Strike?

It's a bit beyond us now at Occult 5 E4, but it's cheaper than Emerald and Adamant Countermagic, with All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight active we're capable of breaking any magic/sorcery type affect we can see, and it supplements our attacks meaning we can pay for it with our overdrive pool.

14. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Because I haven't looked at that charm in a while, I just remember that it's essence 4 and thus outside our immediate range. I think the countermagic spells are also ranged, which would be helpful with bringing down barriers. In general though I would probably take MSS over countermagic all else being equal.

15. sworded

sworded Know what you're doing yet?

MSS gives any attack, including long range ones, the ability to shatter magic powers, and sorcery above Terrestrial requires E4 too.

16. megrisvernin

I think we've already reduced our contact with Matsuda & Motohama quite a bit already.

We haven't hung out with them since exalting to my knowledge so we're limited to our contact during school. Issei is spending a lot of time on campus with the Occult Club with Rias or on related missions like convincing Sona about the floral display.

So...pretty much limited to talking them during class & maybe during lunch. Of course I imagine with Mittelt & Asia having lunch with us there has to be some distance developing.

Think about the original reason Issei has the perverted reputation

I don't think Issei would willingly even do that any more.

17. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

This... may become a plot point soon. Notice the '?' to friendship.

I am very much agaisnt dropping it. Before you say otherwise, think. Issei spent a long time with them. Sure, they trade punches to each other (see canon. They start rumors, Issei introduce them to Mil-tan, ect.), but that doesn't make them hate each other. They laughed and shared dreams together.

I believe dropping it will have negative repercussions on Issei, probably his mental state.

18. codeRR

That maybe true but what do they have much in common anymore? Ise is involved with the supernatural, he's become stronger. has new friends/responsibilities and has learned to not scream out his perverseness.....also they threaten girls by saying their raping them in their minds......that's really creepy

Though they are....kinda the last links to his previous normal life if we don't include our sex/friend chick.

hm.....maybe that's the test? Ether to give up the last connections to his.....normal life or his past so he can move onto the future?

19. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Because he sure dropped them in canon *sarcasm*

If you're worried about how they are, why not help them be better then?

20. megrisvernin

In Fairness we're facing a lot of threats soon & we have lots of obligations we've made. The issue with Raiser, This Hakuryuukou. We also need to help with the floral display(if only to check their progress & get the talismans) & training Yang & Ruby as well. Now we just got access to Dragon Power & the recent vote has attack the Snakes our time is even more limited.

We aren't even able to spend a lot of free time with Mittelt & Asia who live with us? Can we really afford the time it would take to make an artifact that would empower the two of them? The Devil Pieces won't be done for a few weeks(and that's before we even begin experimenting with our own version.)

The single way I can think of including them is to add them to Rias's Peerage....Somehow that feels...unappealing.

As important to past Issei, you have to remember that Issei will automatically default to helping the women in his life & very soon the Issue with Rias & Raiser will eat up a huge chunk of our time. Yang also wants to get a taste of Issei & won't just wait around for a week or so. I imagine she's going to ask us out soon enough.

I just realized something. Did the author get lazy heer? Raiser has the first four letters of Rias. <_<.

21. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

...What about just helping them normally? Like being a wingman and such? No need to go supernatural. I'm not saying to do everything in your power to enhance them either. But the idea dropping them because they are incovenient... You know what that makes me think of?

Emma dropping Taylor in Worm after meeting Sophia. If you have Issei do that, he'll be no better than Emma.

Do you really want Issei to be like that?

22. megrisvernin

That's...actually a good suggestion. Might actually be a good way go part ways, introduce them to appreciative ladies. Not idea who would be suitable.

That's a terrible comparison. Emma dumped Taylor shortly after her mother died. Neither of these guys just went through a personal crisis. Their friend just...changed. Got new interests he couldn't share with them. We're not leading a campaign to bully them.

Moreover while a lot of their treatment in canon is bad, some of it is a bit warranted. If someone behaves in a way you don't like you're not obligated to associate with them. Their classmates took it way too far, but the members of the Perverted Trio are in some small way to blame for their own social isolation. The peeping of the Girls in the kendo club changing, for instance.

23. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Why drop them again? They were still best friends at the start of canon and shared much between each other. Just because we can't see them as often doesn't mean we can't hang out and have fun once in a while.

I was not talking about the full treatment. But the reasons I see for dropping them are just as bad, I believe.

People grow up. Friends can help friends be better than before. Issei was the same before. Is he going to help his friends or is he going to drop them for having as bad a rep he had before?

Matsuda was a school sports star before (now photo club). Motohama could maybe a tailor with his ability, or something like that. Help tone down the creepiness, help them focus their talents into something productive and that can have them hang out with girls. And later on, when hanging out, they'll all laugh at their previous days of being public perverts.

24. megrisvernin

It's an issue of obligations & time. By his own choice Issei is now directly responsible for Mittelt & Asia. Both left or were abandoned by their respective factions & now live with him at his residence. The emotional distance is close, with Asia being saved by Issei & Mittelt being a close lover. Yang & Ruby are close by with Issei taking some responsibility for them by becoming their mentors. Ruby idolizes Issei as a mentor & Yang is interested in being involved with him.

Just at, or close below, Yang & Ruby's emotional distance are Rias & her peerage. Issei has fought by their side & they've given him some support over the issue with Raynore. The only true reason they aren't closer is that despite Rias's attempts at seduction Issei hasn't interpreted them as emotional attraction or feelings. She isn't yet triggering his "won't betray a girl feelings" switch. Issei probably thinks Rias has the support of her family & the members of her own peerage to depend on. While he'll aid her, Rias's need is smaller. I think with Raiser that'll change.

Below all of this we run into Aika & Matsuda & Motohama. Issei helped Aika out because they had a misunderstanding, but he has stronger preexisting bonds with Matsuda & Motohama. They come about even in my mind.

It's not that Issei doesn't want to hang out with them. The problem is they don't need him or depend on him nearly as much as Yang, Ruby, Mittelt & Asia. Even Rias & her peerage IC face a bit more danger in Issei's mind, from groups like Stray Devils & hostile fallen angels. Of course Rias's "need" for Issei will decidely increase whenever the Raiser affair pops up. Neither Matsuda & Motohama have their lives in danger & they are both managing alright in their private livesI think just by association, the social ostracizing they go through should have really lessened.

And when we come down to it Issei just doesn't have any time. Yang & Ruby rely on him for their mentoring. Rias may need him for battles against mutual foes. Mittelt & Asia need him to protect them, requiring him to spend a lot of his time training. When Issei doesn't spend much time with even Mittelt & Asia on a social basis there's no way he'll have time for doing it with Matsuda & Motohama.

Something somewhere has to give. Either Issei needs to find an easy way to power, ditch some of his obligations or find a way to cheat & get even more time he has to neglect something. And he can only do that to himself, avoiding relaxing for so long...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  25. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Dude, that just sound like excuses to drop them because they're 'inconvenient'. Protection? That doesn't mean staying with them 24/7. Same with mentoring. Issei may be a big part in their lives but you make it sounds like they can't live without him. That's one hell of a different kind of creepy.

26. megrisvernin

It's an excuse to the extent that it's valid. Issei doesn't need to stay with them all the time, but he wants, needs to be strong enough to protect them should something go wrong. With the Wards debuff we took shenanigans will happen & we need to be ready for them. It's a certainty & only a question of when trouble pops up, not if. As for Ruby & Yang, I'm trying to get across that he feels emotionally that they have a stronger call on his time & depend on him more than Matsuda & Motohama do. Finding a nonhostile Sacred Gear User to train them is not a trivial matter for Yang & Ruby. With Yang's penchant at fighting & Ruby's for stopping crime they will face combat & if they aren't training they'll get hurt. Finding someone who can train them is hard enough. Well is even harder. Issei is the best single teacher they could find, able to teach them fighting techniques that no one else knows. When you get right down to it...Matsuda & Motohama can find other people to hang out with when he's not there. They just...don't depend or need Issei as much as the girls do.

27. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Aaaaand you're not getting it.

Whatever. I'll just point out again that Alexander did say before Issei needs downtime and can't be like that all the time. Unless you feel like being a Vali-clone obsessed with power and becoming stronger, only with girls around.

28. megrisvernin

I don't know who Vali is. FF reference? As far as downtime goes...that might be your best point. That being said we decide to not involve Matsuda & Motohama for our last moment of downtime. The fact we didn't then is important characterwise. It reinforced the gap between us & them that even when he had free time Issei was more focused on relaxing himself then hanging out with them. I'd argue it's not OC for Issei to choose to set apart some time just for himself in the future.

Besides Issei is changing & growing as a person. Sometimes old relationships fall by the wayside, because they no longer fulfill people in the ways they used to. What does Issei have in common with Matsuda & Motohama? The Perversion thing is no longer really relevant & Issei has face death & combat for the sake of Rias & her peerage & Asia. Can he say the same for Matsuda & Motohama? Is there truly any violent or deeply personal experiences that he's gone through with them in canon that would warrant a deep relationship beyond a friendship of convenience I feel like they developed in canon?

There are narrative consequences to the choices we make, not all of them good. Maybe we should have involved Matsuda & Motohama more, but we have to live with the choices we make. I'm not saying I'm against involving them if the chance comes up. But it has to make narrative & character sense at the time.

29. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

Vali, as Vali the Highschool DxD character?

30. megrisvernin

Dunno. Not familiar with the show.