1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Watched Counter

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by The_Letter_X, Jun 19, 2019.

1. The_Letter_X

The_Letter_X Certifiable Character

I'd like to suggest a "Number of users watching this thread" counter, perhaps placed after the "hits" counter in the forum listings. It doesn't serve much function outside of quests/creative writing, admittedly, but within those sub-forums, I think it'd be pretty handy all around.

As a reader, something like that tells you how many people consider a story "worth coming back to", or "worth being alerted for". When a user compares that to the number of hits the story has, they can make a value judgement on whether they think a story would be worth their time at-a-glance, based on how many other users thought the same, without requiring a scoring system or a likes/dislikes bar, neither of which strike me as good ideas for obvious reasons.

As a writer, it gives you a certain amount of feedback too, somewhere between "obsessively reading the 'who's viewing this page' box" and "looking at the comments to see who actually engaged". I'm sure some authors would obsess over it, I know I would, but, let's be real, if they're the type to do that, they're already obsessing over the hit counter, and the "who's here" box, and who's commenting. One more metric won't make or break things.

To be clear, it would be anonymous. I'm not asking for a notification saying "so-and-so watched your thread" just, like, a numerical metric somewhere.

BONUS:

Also, ideally there would be a "unique hits" counter, so you could see roughly how many hits are returns, vs. how many people drop it after one visit, but the site might not be tracking that already, making it possibly a nightmare to implement, and it would be less useful by itself anyway. Although, the two together would give an even clearer picture of the situation to the reader and the author, which is why I still mention it.

Thanks for your time. Sorry if this has been asked before.