1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

We Didn't Start The Fire [Quote Based World Building Game]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Kolejny dzień, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Kolejny dzień

Kolejny dzień Sometimes I forget my name.

[The Following text has been Blatantly Stolen, Plagierized, Liberally Copy-Pasta'd from 'The Unnamed World'by Gaemnomut]

Quote based Worldbuilding-Game

Welcome, one and all, to my first, Second thread on QQ.
    ~Let's build a world Galaxy.~

The idea is this:
    We are going to design a universe by layering in-universe quotes on top of each other, with one person writing something someone said or wrote in this world and the next providing context (who, when, why, ...) and the next quote.

Rules:
    1. Later Quotes cannot contradict earlier ones.
    2. Anyone can join in whenever they want.
    3. First a person writes down a text, it can be anything from single sentence to grand speech or song, as long as it's not taken from somewhere. Author provides no context for this quote.
    4. Next poster replies by adding who said the above quote and providing any additional context for it, then giving their own quote. And so on. Think of it as climatic fragments of fluff from a RPG book or quotes on M:tG cards.
    5. No Apocalypse Pain Train. At least lets not jump for that right out the gate.

And now, after hunting the illusive piece of writing I left to turn feral in the SB HFY threads.

Let's get this party started!
    _____

"To the Denizens of this Galaxy. Mankind Stands now, as a power that we were not even able to imagine, one hundred and fifty years ago. We Are Young. Young and so very new to these stars, and were it not for the Telarians we would be digging for scraps, begging for leftovers. From the Telarians we learned of the Galaxy around us, we learned of the species that shared it with us.

For that we were grateful.

That our fears were unfounded. That our preparations for hostility from the stars were largely unnecessary.

For that too, we were Grateful.

Fifty years of Education given freely by the Telarians to any human with the aptitude to join one of Telaria's many universities, and we were climbing onward. Greatness of our own within our grasp.
    Maybe not soon. But we would reach it.

We made our first journey almost to the day of the Be'Merek initiation of the 17th sphere of Expansion. After fifty years of minor star nations they reached our teachers.
    Telaria has held for fifty more years.

And yet again we are grateful to Telaria for that we are grateful.

We have learned.

We have Prospered.

In our little forgotten corner of the Galaxy over shadowed by a war that refuses patently to abate Human kind has prepared. In defense of yourselves Telaria, you have defended us.
    You have allowed us to remain hidden, to remain forgotten, and we are once more grateful for a gift freely given if only tangentially.

Because We have prepared Telaria
    We have not Stood idly by, and hoped.
    We have not stared hopelessly at a beloved teachers work torn away, and wished.
    We have not watched a dear friends house burn, and stood frozen in shock.

Even as I speak the 3rd 7th and 11th fleets move to shore up the Ekeros Salient
    Even as I speak Merchants ferry materials to your factories.
    Even as I speak Human kind prepares itself for war.

Telaria

You could have conquered. You taught.
    You could have easily taken advantage. You lent aid.

Human kind is Grateful.
    Human kind finally stands ready.

Telaria

You are not alone!"

2. ArsMagna1337

ArsMagna1337 (Unverified Oracle) (Unverified Omake Machine)

- The President of the World announcing after the Great Filter has fallen because of the strain keeping the universe stable. All races, for the first time, now sees one another. There is a great panic. But nonetheless all of them are keeping calm, one step at a time.

"Don't eat the drones. They taste awful."

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  3. Kolejny dzień

Not quite like that my dude. Provide the context for my quote. IE who/why/when it was said. Then write out a quote of your own. Then the next person in the chain provides yours with context.

thethomas and ArsMagna1337 like this.
  4. ArsMagna1337

ArsMagna1337 (Unverified Oracle) (Unverified Omake Machine)

I see. Editing now...

Kolejny dzień and thethomas like this.
  5. Extras: Example layout.
    Kolejny dzień

Here's an example from Gaemnomut's thread.

6. Kolejny dzień

- Sargent Adam St. Adams. On worker caste drones of the Qullok. An insect species far to the tail of the Orion Arm.

"Hello, Hello! Hello, Hello! Is that... It is! You have hair! And oooh look at all of those skin tones! Is it a caste marker? No!? You just like those sub dermal ink patterns.? Why wear those mirrored corrective lens frames on a starship? What is 'cool'?

7. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

-Narahin Dertorio, who would later become an Ambassador of the Alari Ascendancy

"Yes I know that was fast, this baby is the fastest scout craft of the entire fleet. I tell you, my human half would love to make some kind of a joke right now about parsecs and something about a Kessel run, but the rest of me will just tell you that yes, we went really fucking fast right now."

8. thethomas

thethomas Everyone's twin!

-Subub "Leroy" Jones, after the self proclaimed "mad engineer" demonstrates his radical alterations of an alliance scouting craft.

"Surprised? I was too. For such fragile creatures they sure are frightening."

9. Pen-Pen

Pen-Pen No relation to the penguin.

Expedition Captain James Darthey, commenting on the appearance of non-sapient species no. 518.

"First pirates, and now space ninjas? Honestly, I don't know what to expect anymore."

10. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

- Sargent Adam St. Adams, in response to the assassins of the black flamingo sect boarding his ship during what was supposed to be just an ordenary cargo shipment voyage.

"Honestly, that's remarkable. I'm impressed as much as I'm annoyed. I never expected the alliance to muster that many ships in this sector on such short notice. I wonder what they were doing here?"

11. Kolejny dzień

- Excerpt from the diary of Senoia Cour. Regional logistics coordinator for the Red Cross. Following the Lambent Solar Flare event at Golmia.

"My God... that cavern's big enough to fit Luna!"

Gaemnomut and thethomas like this.
  12. Pen-Pen

Pen-Pen No relation to the penguin.

-Lt. H. Garret, remarking on a particularly large cavern in the subterranean cave system on Taichisu.

"Wait, they're called the Black Flamingoes? That's a stupid name, is what I'd say were we not about to be horribly murdered by them."

Kolejny dzień and Gaemnomut like this.
  13. Exaninja

Exaninja Wannabe shinobi

-minister of defence of the Republic of the halo stars, Alasto crowl. Taken from live broadcast before the black sun invasion.

"THATS NOT A MOON THATS A Y'TEER BATTLESTATION"

Kolejny dzień and Gaemnomut like this.
  14. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

-actress Kathryn Harris, as Vice Admiral Holloway in the film Holloway's Folly, a dramatization of the admiral's ill-fated attempt to end the Y'teer War with a sudden and decisive attack on the Y'teer capital.

"Look pal, if you think I'm the type of guy who can be persuaded by a big stack of money and some scantily-clad slave girls... you'd be right. What's this business opportunity you wanna talk about?"

15. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

Porwen Porwen Porohen, legendary master infiltrator, champion blaster duellist, and wide known Raltum card collector, during a conversation in the "Leaky Containment Cylinder", which was accidentally caught by a passing surveilance worm, coincidentally almost exactly one year before the great heist of Nandragath took place.

"When I said detonate all the rift charges, do you think I meant one charge, some of the charges, or all of the charges?"
    "But Sir, ..."
    "ALL OF THE CHARGES! EVERY SINGLE ONE! DETONATE THEM NOW!!"

Kolejny dzień likes this.
  16. Kolejny dzień

Admiral Dellet Paloa - partial recording.

"Humans gave us beef. For that, I'll forgive them anything."

Gaemnomut likes this.