1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

What if a Admin/Mod was abusing the power?

Discussion in 'General' started by SailorPizza, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SailorPizza

SailorPizza Versed in the lewd.

What if an Admin/Mod of any website was abusing their power and break so many rules?

Would they get punished by all other admins/mods for harassing,insulting & much more unneeded brutal deeds or get away with it so easily from being one of the staff on the website?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Verified kōhai

Oh boy, here we go again.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. SailorPizza

Well i'm sorry if this question was asked before or breaking any rules and just curious what would happen.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

It depends on the interpersonal relation hetween adminds and mods.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. SailorPizza

Let say like a very cocky type of person thinking admin's power was way to do anything he/she wants.

if that answers your question?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

We're all fucked, and hope there are other admin that can prevent abusive admin/mod.

That's really the gist of it.

7. Terrabrand

Terrabrand Horny Futa Demon Goddess

'Any website'. You can go look and see that happening in the wild.

Pretty much it depends on the site culture, the site moderating culture, whether there is competition and if so how bad or good it is for the sites niche, and how bad and blatant the abuse is.

Sometimes the abuse kills the site. Sometimes no one notices, at least for awhile. Sometimes the mod or admin gets removed. It all depends, which makes this question worthless.

Like,if you wanted to know if QQ had measures in place to stop abuse, that would be a question you could get specific answers to. But the answer with such vagueness is just gonna be 'it depends'.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. january1may

january1may Versed in the lewd.

Depends on how blatant the abuse was, and how high up the relevant admin/mod was.

Look up the Maverick Incident from AH.com for a particularly blatant lower-end example. Then look up AH.com's current problems (on SV, for example) for the less blatant high-end version.

(Sorry for the necro, incidentally.)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

You can do one of the following

1) Suck it up and realize that most websites have zero accountability

2) Complain and get ignored.

3) Complain and get banned.

10. Nitramy

Nitramy Captain Quattro, YOU wa CHAR

Sad but true. Especially if a website has a certain ideological bent. Places like those are where crybullies prosper.

11. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

I mean just look at the recent shitshow on SV. There was a quest parodying the Mods and another quest, not only did they the OP, they banned everyone who posted in it and everyone who LIKED one of the posts.

Ddmkm122, Snake/Eater and 753398445a like this.
  12. Nitramy

Nitramy Captain Quattro, YOU wa CHAR

That's not even half of what I've had to go through. You can't brainstorm a "Paladin of Shadows" type thought experiment and/or venting at how stupid people can be (by writing about punching them through the Internet) even in snippet form without getting topic banned.

Heck, I write that shit to fucking vent to keep my mind clear for when I'm doing actual money making writing work. And what do I get?

"No, you don't get to write that on our forum you fucking bigot, topic banned"

AND DON'T MAKE ME START ON SOME OF THE POWER TRIPPING MODS.

Ddmkm122, 753398445a and Psyckosama like this.
  13. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Citizen, I am concerned by your heretical thoughts. Have you heard the word?

The word of the Lord and Saviour Tanuki?

14. lightdreamer

lightdreamer Know what you're doing yet?

Posting is a privilege, not a right. ;)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. Malbutorius

Malbutorius Xenophile

If you view the forums as a business and the forum goers as customers, our patronage is also a privilege, not a right.

But honestly the only way to punish a moderator or Admin especially is to, quite simply, make their occupation meaningless by just not going there anymore. It isn't like a forum is a country after all, you can live outside of any given specific one easily enough.

16. lightdreamer

lightdreamer Know what you're doing yet?

Which is why it's so silly to be constantly afraid of a ban.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. january1may

january1may Versed in the lewd.

To be fair, there are some cases where the forum really is by far the largest place for a subject (e.g. AH.com for alternate history), and/or is the official forum of a particular work (good luck discussing XKCD comics outside the XKCD forums), so being banned from it would set an author back significantly.

EDIT: especially since some of those forums require being logged in to read many stories hosted on them, and don't allow this privilege to banned members. And registering again while being banned is often an insta-ban offence regardless of how warranted the initial ban was, and might even interfere with overturning the original ban. So... yeah.

Ddmkm122, Cherry Lover and 753398445a like this.
  18. Cherry Lover

Cherry Lover Well worn.

Generally they get away with it, but there are exceptions. It depends on how blatant it is and who the admins and mods are. As well as their own role and importance on the forum, a lowly moderator is likely to get punished, whereas the site owner is more-or-less immune since, well, no-one has the power to punish them.

Ddmkm122 and 753398445a like this.