1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the official policy regarding Double Posting?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by Treble, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Treble

Treble Connoisseur.

Is it occasionally tolerated, or will it face immediate action from mods? I assume it's banned, but how strict are the rules about it?

I was wondering if I could resurrect a week old thread where I was the last to reply.

2. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

Disclaimer: Not a mod.

It’s not in the rules as far as I can see, but I have seen mods warn people for doing it, with further action probable for repeat offenders. It depends on the thread, but I’m pretty sure the motivation behind discouraging it is spam prevention, with a secondary focus on how it can disrupt discussions.

Leaving a day between posts is a safe bet to avoid becoming spam, and you can probably do that in perpetuity (providing you stay on topic) in anything but a story thread (image threads have many examples of this). Story threads can maybe tolerate double posting with sufficient gap and/or contribution (see the necro rule for what counts as a significant contribution), but triple posting is probably inadvisable if you’re not the author.

The problem with double posting in fast moving threads (of any type) is it disrupts the conversation; making it harder to reply to whatever you’re saying as a whole while taking up more than your fair share of forum space. Just wait for someone else to post in those.

To answer your specific case: If it’s not a story thread and it’s on-topic, you should be fine. If it is a story thread, treat it like a necro and only post if it’s a significant contribution.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  3. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

As long as it's not a deliberate multiple double or however many post or at once, it's fine. If it's deliberate or there is numerous all at once, that's held as spam and you may get a warning.

It's generally held that IF you must add more stuff to a post, you can edit your previous post. Assuming that no one else has posted, or that it hasn't been an hour since your last post.

If someone else has posted, or it's been an hour or a day after your last post? That's generally held as not really a double post if you post with substantive content ie not clearly spamming short posts just to get a post count up or keep the thread 'in view'.

Keldin, Vorian, Gregory Crey and 2 others like this.