1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, the only time I remember him fighting another Grayven was in the justice lords universe segment, not fool’s canon.

Ardy likes this.
  2. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Michael Tawny was the tiger the Team brought over from that mission involving the Brain.

Due to the enhancements the Brain made Tawny became sapient and renegade later Awakened him.

Tawny later helped him with the liberation of Vega.

Grayven may try to attack Vega, so renegade may want them to be prepared in case he fails.

He could kill Grayven and usurp his forces, but there's also the possibility that they both kill each other and Grayven's forces try and attack Vega.

Yep.

I think he's on Earth 50, but renegade can just Boom Tube there and meet with him.

She is royalty, so she may have received extensive training, but magic may not have been the focus on her studies compared to politics or combat, so she may be weaker than a professional mage.

He is allied with that regent guy, so he may have recruited some offscreen.

Here:

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.c...young-justice-si-thread-twelve.25032/page-917

Just scroll downwards, it's not an actual chapter though, just something Zoat wrote to show how renegade would do there.

Renegade of course makes some crude sexual jokes.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Michael Tawny. Talking tiger.
    Confronting another God of Conquest surrounded by his followers isn't going to go well, particularly if you don't know where he is.
    Kanto 50 is still around, yes.
    Probably.
    Gifted amateur.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's right.
    He's basically a karnan demigod and hero of their liberation war. He got plenty of offers.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

First one off the top of my head? The Invisible Library series.

There are many many more of course, but that's because most author's writing serious stories understand that you need to thread the line of having the hero's win, while leaving the reader with the belief that at any moment those hero's might lose.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Now, is he swearing, or merely thinking of big parties? Given he's visiting an aristocrat, it could well be the latter. Good to see he went straight to local allies, though. Given how powerful we saw Earth-16p's Grayven had become, it will be necessary.

Sucks to have been Amalak. Pity you missed out on sweet assets like his Coluan aide-de-camp, though. Or those Spectrum-resistant warrior women...

Oh-ho, what could this be?

Maybe not the queen. She was a known quantity, if I remember right... Then again, it has been a long while since I've been reading to archive. Been busy catching up with Constellations (only 40 pages of thread on SB left!) then I'll be back to Taylor Varga (600 pages of SV thread left out of nearly 1800...)

Then again, it might well be the Queen. She was an experimental proof-of-concept for dealing with humanoid species, wasn't she?

Ah, Grayven brought Mr. Tawny with him? He expects the Karnans to see some involvement in the coming fight?

They might think they can poach a few of Grayven's Euphorian recruits. Given that he himself said they were people not particularly welcome back home...

A technicality. Mostly to legalise his occupation, I suppose?

As I thought. Presumably the rest of the nobles expect him to shape things up and they can push for preferential trade deals...

Oh-ho. I guess Micheal's been getting his mack on with some of the Karanan ladies, then? And he's taller than Grayven? Wonder if that's some expression of his Godhead?

Heh. No love lost there.

He is kind of forgettable, isn't he? Mr 'Generic hero type'... I suppose she's enjoying the good life, then, even provided by a nominal rival.

The man thought ahead? Wonder if he keeps them stowed safely for when Grayven turns up, or if they're regular parts of the room's decor...

Chair's not built for tailed folks, eh?

If only it were that simple.

To make it clear: Conquest has set his eyes on Vega as the heart of his domain. Too bad Acquisition has gotten there first.

Besides 'Lots'? And as for why Tawny is here? The Karnans and Gordanians shared a homeworld. With the Gordanians initially on top.

In other words, the Crown Imperium and company might well be outclassed...

And I suspect there were a great many who left the sector. When one or two manage to dominate the local trade, it's usually a good idea to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

To be fair, who knows how far word of them has spread? Especially since they're known for giving the Green Lanterns one of its biggest defeats.

'Allies' meaning conquered populations repurposed into service...

Which leaves one obvious weak point. Not that he's actually that weak. With so much successful conquest, he should be running hot.

Meanwhile, the Renegade gave up a lot of the power he'd gained in the Sheeda future, when he and Artemis returned...

Yes, unlike the Earth-50 Grayven, this will be a much tougher fight for the Renegade...

And from what we saw of the Paragon's encounter with them, it will rely heavily on it...

Sure, they might want the power, but these Orange Lanterns don't have the same safety net that the Paragon's do. I wonder how many have succumbed to Avarice overload since their founding...

Heh. Wonder how well they'll handle the Want...

This promises to be an amusing plot-line for the next Renegade episode, then. A battle-royale between the Renegade's Orange Lanterns and their Vegan allies versus the real Grayven and his Gordanian followers. The biggest concern will be how many planets get fucked up by Grayven-16's dreadnought. Because you know he'll want to show off and posture with it.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  6. Senevri

Senevri Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah, but the characters don't know they have plot armor. Instead they end up thinking they're just that good... Or lucky, when they're feeling humble.
    Not sure that has happened on-screen.

Also, you would totally loathe Emperor's Domination.

7. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

Have we been reading the same story?

Hell, Paul has died several times already, almost been killed a bunch more times, failed in his goals even more times, and more.

And did you forget when Grayven got horribly traumatized, emotionally crippled, and has his soul violated in his own home, along with his own adopted daughter, by Darkseid's mere presence? And found out that the Father Box he had relied so heavily upon had actually been spying on him and telling Darkseid everything the whole time?

And those are just the main characters.

8. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player A blank Page for any role you need

But he isn’t irrevocably damaged nor does he lose his ability to enjoy existence or achieve his overarching goals. He’s also proactive in getting rid of as many of the negative effects from any of those minor inconveniences as he can and the problems are then rendered meaningless.

If Zoat isn’t willing to do give Paragon or Renegade their equivalent of a lopped off and cauterized foot, and have it last for a few years then it doesn’t really mean anything because in the end it won’t really matter.

This is me attempting to imitate Vaermina in case anyone actually thinks I believe this.

9. Darko

Darko Well worn.

The Anti Life renegade got hit with could count.

Though I don't think it really affected him all that much since he basically felt the same as he did previously.

The time in the Sheeda lands could also count, but aside from just a scene or two of him not remembering some people, there wasn't much else and he seems to have returned back to his old self.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Rafin

Rafin Know what you're doing yet?

I'm going to need a refresher. What's Grayven's beef with Pren? What could that "Thing" in the display box possibly be and why does it matter? How did Tawny learn to take on a humanoid form? Who is Kanto-50 and what's he/she doing in 16?

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The Renegade stole the Omega Men's thunder and basically called them terrorists who don't care who gets hurt in their crusade. As Komand'r and Koriand'r are two such people who were caught in the crossfire, the Omega Men aren't exactly held in high regard by Tamaraneans. Even Ryand'r, Komand'r and Koriand'r brother, isn't liked that much by his people because it was his actions that directly led to his sisters' enslavement and torture.

The "Thing" is uncertain, but some people think it is the Spider Guild queen. It doesn't have any relevance in the Renegade timeline.

I believe Tawny got a humanoid form as a result of his Awakening. It just took some time to happen.

Kanto 50 is from the Justice Lord universe. Since the Renegade has a neutral to positive relationship with him, it's possible he could go to him for some advice on how to prevent assassinations, or get his assistance in killing off some of Grayven's allies.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  12. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Not too sore, are you?

The anti-life got ponied so he came out ahead there.

13. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Presumable because the whole New God of Conquerers thing goes both ways, so OtherGrayven would get buffs from being the leader of an army facing a single person.

Whiteeyes, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's okay.

15. Threadmarks: Negetiations (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

12th August 2012
    12:56 GMT

Reach ships.

My breath hisses through my teeth.

There are Reach ships over there.

And Drusa goes still in the background as she picks up on my feelings on the issue.

Our pilots have had the good sense to park us in high orbit on the opposite side of the planet. I noticed orbital patterns getting rearranged on our way in as they moved 'docked' ships around and rearranged their orbital defences in such a way as to imply that us moving would be unwise. I mean, it's nothing that we couldn't deal with… Which means that they're probably doing it to reassure other people.

Seriously, I could understand if they didn't know anything about the Reach, but they do. What exactly are they telling themselves about the likely results of having them here?

"And out." I turn to look at the-. "Cap-." The captain, who has apparently found something to occupy their attention on the far side of the bridge.

He looks up.

"My lord Illustres?"

"So are we allowed to use our own shuttles, or do we have to wait for a local pilot for that as well?"

"We can.. use our own, so long as the flight path is confirmed in advance. But your meeting with their delegation isn't until tomorrow."

"It doesn't take four days to arrange a meeting with a junior civil servant. I'm going to scare them into pulling their fingers out." I turn away. "Lantern Drusa, you are free to accompany me or continue researching local conditions as you choose."

I march out of the bridge, and after a moment's hesitation she follows me. Though from the way her eyes are glowing I suspect that she's chosen 'why can't I do both?'.

"What will you do?"

"At this point, there's no good reason not to meet with me. Even if it's just offering up the office gopher as a sacrifice. Either they should have that ready, or they should directly tell me that they don't want to meet me. The only reason for prevarication is panic. I will bet my right arm that they're running around like headless chickens down there."

She nods slowly. "So you intend to do something that will make them want to talk to you."

"Any guesses?"

"The Reach. You're going to… Walk into their embassy and make polite conversation until someone comes to get you."

"You're good at that." We step into the elevator and I press the button for 'personnel shuttle bay'. "There are people who've known me for years who can't predict me like that."

"It was a survival skill."

"Oh, ow."

"I'm not comparing you to them, I'm saying that I needed to learn how to predict what people with power over me would do."

"Do you find being right satisfying?"

She hesitates.

"Yes."

"Okay, so exactly what am I going to talk to the Reach 'negotiator' about?"

"At first, you will make polite conversation about local politics. You will say something self-depreciating. On the surface you will mean it as humour, as self-depreciation is a sign of admirable modesty in your culture. But they will see it as you playing with them, and you are intelligent enough to know that. Then… I'm not sure. Either you will directly ask them about what they're actually planning, or ask them a searching question about their personal desires. You will ask the other once you're happy that you've got a complete answer with whichever one you asked first."

I puff out my lips, nodding. "That's a pretty-"

The lift doors open and we head towards a shuttle.

"-good guess. You don't think I'll start a fight?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because it doesn't help you complete your mission."

"And if I encountered a scarab?"

"Apparently polite conversation filled with snide comments, while you implied that you could kill them all without any difficulty. Unless they were a slave dominated by their scarab, in which case you would escalate as much as you could under local law."

"Yeah, basically."

We board a waiting shuttle and I wave at the pilot.

"Surface, please. Don't really care where."

"Yes, lord."

We take seats on opposite sides of the small passenger compartment.

"You know, I could probably get you moved to working with Ratchet and Dox if you want." Then I jerk forward. "Initial thought."

"You want something in return."

I lean back.

"Reflected thought?"

She makes a point of relaxing herself. "You're honestly just trying to put me somewhere where my desires will do the most good."

"And that's why I'm not going to do those things with the Reach that you said I would." She makes a small frown. "You're going to." She keeps frowning. "Your theory of mind is clearly good enough that you can accurately predict my actions. Nothing about going there actually needs me to go there."

"Other than the fact that you're far more intimidating than I am."

"They know that I'm on the planet."

"They won't trust the Yunan report or sensor readings. Not for something this important."

I take a couple of glamour pendants out of subspace and float one over to her. When I put mine on my entire body appears to change.

"It can't disguise the presence of a ring, and a sufficiently skilled magic user would spot it. But the Reach don’t have any of those."

She puts hers on, and then I'm sitting opposite myself. She takes a moment to check it over, then has her own ring scan her to make certain.

"And if they do discover that I'm not you?"

I grin.

"Then won't it be extra funny when they find out that I am me?"

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  16. Darko

Darko Well worn.

'to park us'

Maybe because crazy is difficult to predict.

17. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player A blank Page for any role you need

Ah, I see enlightenment gives you a bonus to the school of Clear Communication.

18. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier.

This is such a cliche dumb comic book plot and I love it.

Jaron, Doccer, Bramble Thorn and 18 others like this.
  19. hance1986

hance1986 Not too sore, are you?

This is like Inception trolling.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Not too sore, are you?

Is Guy allowed to have one of these pendants?

22. MagnumForce

MagnumForce Getting out there.

Makes one wonder if they are already compromised to some degree...

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes? You knew they'd be there. The official you communicated with made that quite clear. Is the concern that they've slipped some agents in without the Gyuanites noticing? Because that would be a given either way.

I would probably be thinking 'Well, shit. Flashback to his last death or about to go on a murderous rampage? Hell, why not both?'

Probably something like 'Oh, I'm sure they won't try anything, we're too valuable an ally to risk antagonising.'

Wise man, not wanting to be too close to the clearly mad person.

I take it just flying down under their own power would be completely out of the question... Probably a bit hard to track a Lantern who doesn't want to be noticed.

OL... Oh, fuck it, I can't even be mad. :rolleyes: OL gonna OL.

At least the lady knows how to multitask. Probably not a good idea to let OL out of her sight, after all. Who know what trouble he'll get into without a minder? Not that having a minder will stop him...

To be fair, consider the last few diplomatic missions you've been on. If the Gyuanites have been getting the Reach's side of that, they're probably expecting you to fly up and rip the roof of the Diplomatic Offices...

And nothing would scare them more. Heck, they might start shooting the second you open the door.

:oops: ...Ouch, Drusa, ouch. On the upside, you've probably got a better life expectancy than most around OL. He likes you, so he'll endeavour to keep you alive.

Not improving your position here, Lantern.

Well, that's good.

Great, she's playing Xanatos Speed Chess, using imaginary players. And yet she's got OL pegged so well.

Given Dox asked you not to? No, you'll wait for them to get spooked and try something. :rolleyes: Then you'll have the moral high ground of a self-defence claim...

'Want the end, want the means' indeed. I guess she spent the last week in transit building up a solid psychological profile of her boss, then.

Because a Scarab on-planet would be a gross violation of the Gyuanite's hospitality, and a feather in OL's cap?

Since you can get anywhere you like quickly enough anyway. Plus the trip gives you time to remotely observe Gyuanite Desire Networks, eh?

All the while the pilot is quietly praying to whatever he, she or they believe in for mercy and a greater likelihood of survival...

Stop poking the rookie, OL. But I suppose that would be her initial suspicion of intent.

Ah, she's good.

OL's like a walking bomb. Him merely existing in the same star system is intimidating, especially to the Reach.

So they'll be looking to covertly locate and scan him? Just to be sure it's not a clone, robot or shapeshifter?

Oh, sneaky, sneaky. Now, who do you look like, I wonder? Lantern Drusa? OR just a generic grunt Lantern? Ooh, why not make yourself look like Mr Spock, for the lulz?

Hope they don't pull out the big guns right away? Because I doubt your personal shields are up to OL's level.

:confused: ...Okay, now you lost me. Are you counting on their paranoia sending them into a spiral of 'oh, shit!' as a distraction? Or just as a prank?

Well, at least it's better than a 'Mission Impossible' impossibly-lifelike latex mask... Still, it's putting Drusa in a dangerous spot, especially if the Reach try a covert assassination. I'm guessing OL will be close at hand just in case. Hopefully this does stop the Gyuanites messing around and actually get him what he wants.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think it will be a way to lower the Reach's guard, as they will think Paul was never there and it was always a fake, before Paul reveals himself and subverts whatever they were going to use against Lantern Drusa.

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ooooh, I'm loving this.

Paul is discovering whole new layers of being a troll-mentor and I. Am. Here for it!

26. Darko

Darko Well worn.

A truly wise man.

This might be why he got along so well with Constantine.

Both of them are walking disasters.

27. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Oh my, I'm loving Drusa's accurate prediction of OL's actions. She's going to be a real asset.

Good assumption given the Reach's methods.

Whiteeyes, TopHatWearer and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

So... I guess this means they are on a thaumatically active world of those pendants work.

Whiteeyes and Cuchulin like this.
  29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Prank for sure. He is a Discordian after all.

30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Didn’t Zoat say at one point that any world that life evolved on is thaumically active to some extent?